News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ronald Montesano

Short Par Threes: What's Your ... ?
« on: March 16, 2013, 02:59:01 PM »
"The Links at Spanish Bay, Pebble Beach
NO. 13, 126/119/99/76 YARDS
The Wee Precipice
The least links-like hole on the acclaimed man-made links designed by the Holy Trinity of golf design, Robert Trent Jones Jr., Tom Watson and Sandy Tatum..."

This line (http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-courses/2013-03/photos-short-par-3s#slide=4) had me giggling, but then it got me brain juices circulating. Have you a favorite? A least favorite? I'm guessing it has been polled before, yet perhaps other new ones have come along in the interim.

During our recent visit to Pinehurst, I enjoyed the 3rd at Pine Needles but didn't get to play the 12th at Dormie (we skipped a few to avoid further frostbite.) I also love Strantz's Cauldron Holes (my nickname) with the various tees that arc around the green.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Ron Csigo

Re: Short Par Threes: What's Your ... ?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2013, 03:08:55 PM »
The 11th hole @ Hidden Creek.  Uphill tee shot ~125 yards.  Small little coffin bunker on the right.  Huge gaping front left bunker.  In all my visits, I don't think I've ever scored well on this hole.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2013, 03:11:14 PM by Ron Csigo »
Playing and Admiring the Great Golf Courses of the World.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2013, 03:28:16 PM »
Very nice choice RC!

@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Ron Csigo

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2013, 03:33:21 PM »
Thanks Professor Bausch!  As always, great photos!

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2013, 03:41:06 PM »
The 6th hole at Doug Carrick's Copper Creek is very good - 113 yards from the blues, a very elevated and protected/bunkered green, coming after a long Par 4 (if I remember correctly), it throws you off yet should be easy enough -- but I've never seen a birdie made there and pars are rare too. All around a neat hole. Expensive country club for a day type course, Ron, but when you're next up Toronto way, I think you'd like it.

Peter

David_Tepper

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2013, 04:18:24 PM »
Article on short par-3's in the current issue of GolfWorld:

http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-courses/2013-03/photos-short-par-3s#intro

Tyler Kearns

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2013, 05:41:42 PM »
Two of the better short short par threes I've played were in Australia, the famous 7th at Barnbougle and the less acclaimed 16th at Thirteenth Beach (Beach), both of which fail to exceed 125 yards.  One of the great things about holes of this length, especially in windy environments is the difficulty in keeping balls under the wind with a short-iron in your hands.  While the right play would be to take a much longer club and hit it easy, most golfers don't have that shot, can't control that shot or can't imagine that shot.

TK

Mike_Trenham

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2013, 08:40:30 PM »
Plainfield 11
Proud member of a Doak 3.

J_ Crisham

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2013, 10:50:51 PM »
4 at Gulph Mills, 13 at Merion, 10 at Chicago Golf , 7 at Pebble, 15 at Cypress Point are all in the 130 or less category - but if you hit a squirrelly one 5 is in the picture. All have great bunkering which makes recovery doable but challenging.

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2013, 12:10:11 AM »
#3 at Philly Cricket - Wissahickon is a darling little hole.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Will Peterson

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2013, 12:22:11 AM »
#15 at Purley Downs outside of London is a personal favorite. 115 max, long skinny green with a back shelf, surrounded on three sides by traps.  Not a hard 2, but can be a tough 4.  It's also the only hole I've ever lost with a 2.  I was giving a guy 17 shots, and the only hole on the course he doesn't get one, he aces.  Tough match that day.

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2013, 12:38:36 AM »
#12 @ Sagebrush.  122yds at the top end of the course before Terry's hideout

Ben Jarvis

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2013, 12:58:01 AM »
At 144 yards from the championship tee, does the 7th hole at Royal County Down qualify?

« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 02:56:38 AM by Ben Jarvis »
Twitter: @BennyJarvis
Instagram: @bennyj08

Thomas Dai

« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2013, 08:58:15 AM »
Here are some samples of a few 'wee holes' I've played in the UK and all playing at less than 140 yds -

7th (135 yds) at Tadmarton Heath, England - small green, over a pond, severe slope at front, OB right and long, clubhouse and wall immediately bordering at left
10th (115 yds) also at Tadmarton Heath, England - all you can see is gorse and the top of the flag stick fluttering, two tiered green
6th at Tenby, Wales - all you can see is the top of the flag stick fluttering, dimpled green
8th (140 yds) at Royal Aberdeen, Scotland - elevated tee, very narrow green severely sloping from back to front front, bunkers everywhere
8th/17th (115 & 130 yds) at Burnham & Berrow, Channel Course, England - elevated tee, tiny-titchy green, no bunkers, roll-offs abound, steep mounds and deep swales abound
13th (140 yds) at Whittington Heath, England - slightly downhill, bunkers front, left, right (deep) and rear, green very narrow at front, wider ar rear and sloping severely at sides, deep drop offs at rear and on right side
7th/16th (100 yds) at Cruden Bay, St Olaf Course, Scotland - elevated tee, tiny-titchy two tier elevated green set in ledge of dune, steep roll-offs at front and sides, deep, cavernous bunker at front
12th (90 yds) at Okehampton, England - tee-off from top of a cliff, tiny-titchy green surrounded by fence and stream at left side and to the rear

Very short par-3's are great.

Here's the 7th at Tadmarton Heath - small green, over a pond, severe slope at front, OB right and long, clubhouse and wall immediately bordering at left.

This is the 10th at Tadmarton Heath - gorse, gorse, gorse and more gorse and the top of the flag stick fluttering, two tiered green

Here's the 8th/17th at Burnham & Berrow's Channel course - not the nicest of days for photography though. Elevated tee, tiny-titchy green, no bunkers, roll-offs abound, steep mounds and deep swales.

All the best
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 06:14:33 AM by Thomas Dai »

Mac Plumart

« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2013, 09:12:51 AM »
7 at Ansley Settindown is great.

120ish in, plateaued, Pinehurst style green, some nasty bunkers around it.

Great hole!
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Carl Johnson

« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2013, 09:26:39 AM »
No. 13, The Sea Hole, at the Glen Golf Club in North Berwick would be my favorite, of the short ones I can recall.  Here's what the club's website has to say about it: "A short par 3 with a blind tee shot to a green that has beach and rocks on two sides. The tee shot needs to carry to the green and, depending on wind strength and direction, might be a pitching wedge one day or a 4-iron the next. This is one of the great holes in Scottish golf."  The day we played it was a pitching wedge, but only one of us (not me) held the green.  Least favorite: Any one with an island green.

« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 09:31:21 AM by Carl Johnson »

Ron Csigo

« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2013, 09:40:33 AM »
The 10th hole at Pine Valley.  Slightly downhill tee shot with Hell, literally surrounding the green.  All the bunkers are steep-faced.  Not to mention, the world famous DA bunker.

Automatic 5 if you don't hit the green.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 09:45:24 AM by Ron Csigo »

Tom Culley

« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2013, 09:51:59 AM »
I love the 5th at Woodhall Spa with it's huge bunkers surrounding the long and narrow green. Plays about 150 from the backs... too long?
"Play the ball as it lies, play the course as you find it, and if you cannot do either, do what is fair. But to do what is fair, you need to know the Rules of Golf."

Jud_T

« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2013, 10:29:46 AM »
138 from the blues.  Anything from birdie to X is possible...

« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 10:31:41 AM by Jud T »
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Sam Morrow

« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2013, 10:44:28 AM »
8 at Austin Golf Club.

Andy Treen

« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2013, 10:55:04 AM »
One of my absolute favorites is Sankaty Head's "Wee One" #14 - 149/136/110
First Assistant Professional
Taconic Golf Club

Adam_Messix

« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2013, 12:04:38 PM »
Here are the best ones that come off the top of my head that have not been mentioned....

6 NGLA
16 Paraparaumu Beach
14 Royal Melbourne West
12 Dormie Club
10 Kingston Heath

Ron Csigo

« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2013, 12:15:10 PM »
138 from the blues.  Anything from birdie to X is possible...

Nice choice Jud!  One of the best par 5s in America.  ;)

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2013, 12:17:49 PM »
Which par five would that be? Chaps my ass when a guy posts a hole and doesn't label it.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Jud_T

« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2013, 12:20:22 PM »
Ron,

Kingsley #2.  Time for a road trip!
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back