News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Alex Miller

AAC III- Public Voting Results are IN!
« on: March 16, 2013, 11:28:27 AM »
The wait is over and a lot of hard work is now on display! Participants, I uploaded your submissions in the best quality they were received in, but if you feel something is amiss let me know!

Voting is open to all, but please take your time. Get familiar with the site if you haven't looked at it yet and do your best to fully understand each submittal.

A reminder of how this first round of voting will go:

Pick your favorite 5 routings
Send me an email in which you pick the 5 you vote for. Email: alex.miller1029@yahoo.com
I will send you back a number so you'll be able to see your vote and make sure it is correct
Your name will be listed as a "voter" so it's clear that only real people have voted

Ultimately I can't tell you how to pick your favorites. I think the idea is to pick the 5 entries which you would most like to see built. The routing is obviously a crucial element, but if a contestant was able to provide more context to help give you a better idea of what their course would look like, then feel free to reward them for it. It's your choice in the end.

All the entries can be viewed on flickr here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/94087216@N04/

The site our contestants worked off of. If you are unsure of what you are looking at, the answer may lie here.

Click all photos for full size.

Tour herehttp://golfaac.blogspot.com/2013/02/aaciii-entry-24.html

Tour here http://youtu.be/N13l84hGcKs

« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 12:54:22 AM by Alex Miller »

Alex Miller

Re: AAC III- Public Voting is here!
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2013, 12:03:31 PM »
Also feel free to post positive comments in here to keep this thing on page 1.  :D

Joe_Tucholski

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2013, 01:01:42 PM »
The fact that I really didn't know what I was doing when creating my design really shows though when I try and evaluate other peoples designs.  It's clear people have different levels of skills with computer editing programs and unfortunately I feel like I'm lured by the presentation more than the design.  Maybe this is the case in real life when an owner picks a designer based on presentation, as an owner may have even less understanding of design and map reading than I do.

Mac Plumart

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2013, 01:05:38 PM »
Can I post my 5 favorites right on the thread?
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Alex Miller

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2013, 01:07:24 PM »
Can I post my 5 favorites right on the thread?

...I don't mind if you don't.

Send a PM too please so I can give you your ballot number.  :)

But please wait until you are sure of your choices. I'd rather not have to continually update people's votes.

Shane Wright

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2013, 01:38:21 PM »
Alex, what is the deadline for submitting our 5 votes? 

Alex Miller

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2013, 01:43:48 PM »
Alex, what is the deadline for submitting our 5 votes?  

March 31 at 11:59pm EST!

You've got plenty of time!

We will have the judges review the finalists and will try to get results up shortly after The Masters. This is a conservative timetable, but if it seems like it can be moved up it will be.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2013, 01:45:28 PM by Alex Miller »

Shane Wright

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2013, 01:47:45 PM »
Ok, great. Thanks Alex. Just didn't want to miss out.

5 highest votes are the finalists and then it is up to the judges?  Is that correct?

Alex Miller

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2013, 01:50:58 PM »
Ok, great. Thanks Alex. Just didn't want to miss out.

5 highest votes are the finalists and then it is up to the judges?  Is that correct?

8 highest vote totals, but YOU only get to pick 5.

Matthew Rose

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2013, 04:21:31 PM »
After seeing everyone else's entries now, I'm floored by the sheer diversity of them all.

I can also see very clearly the flaws in my own entry.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2013, 04:41:24 PM by Matthew Rose »
American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

Eric Smith

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2013, 04:46:27 PM »
Excellent work all of you. I have a few favorites but before voting I first need to ask you Alex, will entries with entrance drives from the east be eligible to go forward? I thought I remember reading that one of the stipulations was to not locate the entrance from the east?

Thanks

Dieter Jones

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2013, 05:07:21 PM »
Eric. It was the west that you could not enter from.

Excellent to see such variety. I'm particularly fascinated to see how features I though were "must haves" have been used by others but from completely different directions and for different purposes. Can't wait to study them all in detail..

Joe,don't panic about the quality of your computer skills. Some of the simplest stick diagrams allow you to see the contours better which could be important for courses built in areas you aren't familiar with ie parts of the property you did not use yourself.

I think I will need to allocate at least 20 minutes per course just to narrow it down to my favourite dozen or so. This could take as long as the actual design exercise.
Never argue with an idiot. They will simply bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

Eric Smith

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2013, 06:02:45 PM »
Aha, thank you Dieter!

Josh Tarble

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2013, 06:25:29 PM »
How much weight will be placed in the "sunset golf"? That was one thing I was very proud of in my routing. Probably weak in other areas though. The sheer variety in the routings is amazing. Great work by all!

Jim Colton

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2013, 06:36:28 PM »
The voting was even tougher than routing. A lot of 'doh, why didn't I think of that moments' this afternoon.

Bill Brightly

« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2013, 08:35:44 PM »
This was a great map to use. The sheer size of the property gave you so many possible places to place holes, but going in one direction might take you away from so other great features.

Jim Colton

« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2013, 10:45:47 PM »
In honor of the godfather of the Armchair contest, I present you with the Goerges Green Map:

Brett_Morrissy

« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2013, 11:08:54 PM »
Jim - awesome - well done.
Congrats to all the entries, it is so impressive and as Dieter said - amazing to see such diverse use I key features, well done to all contestants.

I fear the voting and review may also be a massive task - for those who have done a few of these - what do you think is the best process to follow in reviewing all 25 submissions?

do you score them, if so, how? do you wieght them according to how they each deal with the clear design brief requests?

I would like to work toward a short list of 10 or so, and then wittle down from there to 5.

@theflatsticker

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2013, 11:15:34 PM »
I think the most important part of judging these entries is to evaluate how well they use the land's natural features.

I wonder how many of us are able to read the topos well enough to make this judgement. I know I can't.

Jim Colton

« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2013, 11:16:04 PM »
Brett,

I went through one-by-one and started ranking the first 7-8. Then after that, I would see if the next one was good enough to replace one o f the entries in the top 5. When I got to the end I simply confirmed the final 5 vs. some that were strong contenders to arrive at my final vote.

Jim

Steve Lang

« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2013, 11:27:02 PM »
In honor of the godfather of the Armchair contest, I present you with the Goerges Green Map:

Jim, was it raining today or what???  are you going to do the spaghetti plot as well?
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Brett_Morrissy

« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2013, 11:32:47 PM »
I can't see any hole numbers on #14 - instead of guessing - can we get an indication of which is #1 & #10?
@theflatsticker

Steve Lang

« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2013, 11:39:11 PM »
I think the most important part of judging these entries is to evaluate how well they use the land's natural features.

I wonder how many of us are able to read the topos well enough to make this judgement. I know I can't.

say it ain't really so Mark!   up-slope and down-slope challenged perpendicular to the topo lines??
« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 11:21:29 AM by Steve Lang »
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Steve Lang

« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2013, 11:44:52 PM »
I can't see any hole numbers on #14 - instead of guessing - can we get an indication of which is #1 & #10?

looks like #1 is just north of range, going NE, 1-9 is the east butterfly loop, 10-18 goes west up and around
The voice of Inverness"

Brett_Morrissy

« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2013, 11:56:05 PM »
Steve, that hole that heads west (most southerly) using the scale is over 600 yards? and the one heading NE is over 400yards?
@theflatsticker

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back