News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Chris Kane

Re: Royal Melbourne to host Australian Masters AND World Cup
« Reply #100 on: November 20, 2013, 08:11:42 PM »
Jonathan, the green also puts tremendous pressure on the tee shot, as the angle of attack is so critical so getting it close, especially if the hole is on the front half of the green. The ideal tee shot is determined entirely by the hole location, and ranges across the full width of the fairway.

jonathan_becker

« Reply #101 on: November 20, 2013, 08:14:40 PM »
Jonathan, the green also puts tremendous pressure on the tee shot, as the angle of attack is so critical so getting it close, especially if the hole is on the front half of the green. The ideal tee shot is determined entirely by the hole location, and ranges across the full width of the fairway.

What's not to love about this hole?!  :)

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #102 on: November 20, 2013, 08:18:59 PM »
Yes, I have been told a number of times to miss that green long. Seemed like all you had to do was carry your second to the middle of the green...problem 'solved'... The hole location really can go a long ways towards determining from where you want to hit your second shot. Really do need to try to have a peek from RMW2 fwy. I would love to see the divot pattern from last week's toonamint -- or even better a ShotLink as I've seen for the PGAT tourney on Riviera 10.

I feel starting off the round on the Composite with RMW3 is unfortunate. Well, maybe okay for medal play; I get the ultimate constraint is RME18 must / should be the finisher, and you have to work backwards from there.

Either keeping that constraint or relaxing it, what routing if any would best position RME1, RMW3, and RMW10 for match play? If you can help it you'd like them somewhere in the stretch of 7-15, yes? Is that possible -- and is it preferable or would that be short-4 overload?

EDIT: lovely photo, Jonathan.
Charlotte. Daniel. Olivia. Josephine. Ana. Dylan. Madeleine. Catherine. Chase. Jesse. James. Grace. Emilie. Jack. Noah. Caroline. Jessica. Benjamin. Avielle. Allison.

Mark_F

« Reply #103 on: November 20, 2013, 09:19:38 PM »
The ideal tee shot is determined entirely by the hole location, and ranges across the full width of the fairway.

Is this a feature attributable only to this hole among short fours at RM or elsewhere on the Sandbelt?

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #104 on: November 20, 2013, 09:42:01 PM »
Looks like the grounds crew have got the greens in fantastic shape. What's the wx forecast? Could we see 'Lee Trevino' speeds by Sunday?  ;D
Charlotte. Daniel. Olivia. Josephine. Ana. Dylan. Madeleine. Catherine. Chase. Jesse. James. Grace. Emilie. Jack. Noah. Caroline. Jessica. Benjamin. Avielle. Allison.

Chris Kane

« Reply #105 on: November 20, 2013, 10:05:52 PM »
Mark B, I'm told its quite a bit firmer than last week, although there is rain forecast every day of the tournament so it won't hit the heights I had hoped for.

Mark F, its certainly not a unique feature but its a good one. Combined with the green complex I think 3W is a fascinating hole.

Mark_F

« Reply #106 on: November 20, 2013, 10:08:00 PM »
Looks like the grounds crew have got the greens in fantastic shape. What's the wx forecast? Could we see 'Lee Trevino' speeds by Sunday?  ;D

A weather forecast in Melbourne is as reliable as a (Liberal) politicians' promise. 

Hopefully the tournament has a better atmosphere than the funereal one that permeated the Masters last week.

Yes, Chris, I agree it is a fascinating hole. 

Ben Jarvis

« Reply #107 on: November 21, 2013, 04:12:43 AM »
I never said 3W is a 10/10 world class hole.

Ben,

I realise that.  Ran, amongst others, does however: "An all-world medium-short length two shotter made by its green site."

Is this green site enough to make the hole all-world?

I'll stand up for it and say, yes, that green site is all-world. It defines the strategies off the tee and sometimes second (and third  :P ) shots (putts), too. There's no shame in putting defensively to a hole located anywhere on the right. It's sublimely integrated in the terrain and uses the swale to fullest degree. The bunkering is appropriate as well.

Right. Steady now with your aim, Mark -- shoot straight, ya bastard, don't make a mess of it!  ;D

I can't described RMW 3 any better.

In respect to the state of the greens this week, Jason Day was quoted as saying "the greens are faster than Augusta this year. We're are hitting wedges that bounce 20 yards."

Lets hope there is no significant rainfall over the next three days!
Twitter: @BennyJarvis
Instagram: @bennyj08

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #108 on: November 21, 2013, 07:30:27 PM »

A weather forecast in Melbourne is as reliable as a (Liberal) politicians' promise. 

Mark

If Melburnians shared a fondness for sheep we could declare them honorary Kiwis. Sorry, that was too easy.  ;D At any rate, I seem to have turned into a weather obsessive, thanks to your comment above. So maybe I'm the one the sheep should be hidden from.  ;D

Which is to say, the hourly forecasts look dubious but the satellite looks promising.

Anyone on the ground with a report?

Mark_F

« Reply #109 on: November 21, 2013, 08:14:18 PM »

Which is to say, the hourly forecasts look dubious but the satellite looks promising.

Anyone on the ground with a report?

Mark,

It's kind of an odd day here.  Cloudy and sunny, not hot, not cold, but also not raining!

Josh Tarble

« Reply #110 on: November 22, 2013, 09:19:32 AM »
Pretty cool little video of Geoff Shackelford discussing a few holes at RM.

http://www.geoffshackelford.com/homepage/2013/11/21/video-discussing-royal-melbourne-on-morning-drive.html

Also pretty humorous to hear LPGA pro Paige Mackenzie discuss the course and why she doesn't like it

BCowan

« Reply #111 on: November 22, 2013, 10:15:28 PM »
Agree Josh, Shackelford got a great move too

Ben Jarvis

« Reply #112 on: November 23, 2013, 03:19:12 AM »
One of the most incredible rounds has been played at Royal Melbourne today. Below is the scorecard of Stuart Manley;

Hole 1 (3W), par-4: 3
Hole 2 (4W), par-5: 4
Hole 3 (5W), par-3: 1
Hole 4 (6W), par-4: 11
Hole 5 (7W), par-3: 3
Hole 6 (10W), par-4: 3
Hole 7 (11W), par-4: 4
Hole 8 (12W), par-4: 5
Hole 9 (17W), par-4: 4
Hole 10 (18W), par-4: 4
Hole 11 (1E), par-4: 4
Hole 12 (2E), par-4: 4
Hole 13 (3E), par-4: 4
Hole 14 (16E), par-3: 2
Hole 15 (17E), par-5: 3
Hole 16 (2W), par-4: 4
Hole 17 (1W), par-4: 4
Hole 18 (18E), par-4: 5

Total: 72 (+1)

So, amongst the scorecard lies one hole-in-one, one eagle, four birdies, two bogies and an 11 (I'm not sure what that is called!!?).

Ahh...6 West does it again!!
Twitter: @BennyJarvis
Instagram: @bennyj08

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #113 on: November 23, 2013, 07:23:11 AM »
Was it 6 West that did him in...or touching the car? Taking what was not his -- call it the 'Stuart Broad move.'  ;D

JESII

« Reply #114 on: November 23, 2013, 08:36:49 AM »
It will be unforgivable for Mercedes to place the car there when it's not in the offering...watch a guy make a 1 followed by an 11...then see him not crumble, but fight back with a solid round and not give him the damn car!

jonathan_becker

« Reply #115 on: November 23, 2013, 11:58:38 AM »
Just as a heads up, tonight is it for the two weeks of televised Royal Melbourne.  So for those of you that haven't tuned in yet, it's last call.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #116 on: November 24, 2013, 01:16:21 AM »
It is always a treat to watch the competition on RM, but it sure was a wild and serendipitous sort of affair this time.  We certainly got our fill of what we crave with the wind, firm and fast, always alluring presentation of the golf course, and all the improbable occurrences from the wild round of Manley to the fairy tale feel good ending for the Filipino heritage Day, having lost family members in the Typhoon then winning in strong fashion.  Adding to the serendipity was the other world sporting event of Pacquiao dominating Rios.  Good on the Filipino boys.

I have to add: What does the tree house gang think of the Aussie cheerleaders dressed in team colors and loudly and continuously cheering and chanting during play?  I think it had gone too far at the Ryder Cup many times, even though the atmosphere there could allow for some of it.  But at this event, this one homer group seemed a bit obnoxious, IMHO.  It reminded me of the 'vuvuzella's' at the World Cup in S.A. a few years ago.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2013, 01:23:46 AM by RJ_Daley »
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Richard Chamberlain

« Reply #117 on: November 24, 2013, 02:55:56 AM »
RJ those rowdy blokes are called The Fanatics. They started at the tennis but have recently headed to a few golf tourneys. Been a lot of debate about them over the weekend and personally I think they're as annoying as hell. Not sure if they're trying to create a "barmy army" type atmosphere there but I think we can do without it.
Apart from the fact the songs are crap and repetitive I think there is just too much of a distraction for the other players on the golf course. Would love to hear an opinion of someone who was there this weekend.

Mike_Clayton

« Reply #118 on: November 24, 2013, 04:45:49 AM »
Painful - they surely have well outworn their usefulness.

Colin Macqueen

« Reply #119 on: November 24, 2013, 06:46:45 AM »
Gentlemen,
I have to agree wholeheartedlywith Richard's and Mike's take on "The Fanatics". I watched the four days on the television and was appalled that this group of deadbeats (with no decent beat) was allowed to distract so many of the players and, I suspect, the attendant crowd. If I had been there they would have got a whole lot of grief from me! It is one thing to chant the local hero onto the field of play but is quite another to harass the spectators and players from tee to green. Appalling stuff which golf has absolutely no need of.

I am actually very surprised that Royal Melbourne Golf Club allowed these antics other than a brief hurrah as Scott teed off and a general "good on ya" as Day came home victorious.  That damned mob almost smothered Day at the end and have no right to take away from the dignity and enjoyment that the paying public had come to experience.  If it sets a precedent then Australian golf will be the worse off for it. Those lads seemed to have no idea about the general approach that needs to be taken when as sacred a ritual as the World Cup in golf is being played out.

If I ruled the golf world I would ban them forthwith. I was mightily pissed off as you might gather!

I feel better now!

Cheers Colin
"Golf, thou art a gentle sprite, I owe thee much"
The Hielander

John Chilver-Stainer

« Reply #120 on: November 24, 2013, 06:53:33 AM »
Isn't sledging encouraged in Oz?

BHoover

« Reply #121 on: November 24, 2013, 09:13:20 AM »
I guess I don't understand the animosity toward The Fanatics. Were the players bothered by them?  Did any of the players openly criticize or complain about them?  If yes, then I can see putting a lid on them. But barring that, I don't mind the Olympics-like atmosphere at the occasional golf event. Not every event needs to be stodgy and buttoned up like The Masters. We always talk about the problems associated with golfers wanting their courses to emulate the ANGC style; well, I say we also ought to avoid the fascist-like atmosphere that ANGC demands each April for their toon-a-mint.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #122 on: November 24, 2013, 01:29:50 PM »
Watching the broadcast, it seemed that these "'fanatics" were cheering and chanting those inane songs throughout the entire day of play.  I can't imagine how that didn't carry annoying and distracting sounds to adjacent FWs, even if they did their chanting pre and after shots of the players group they were following, but in the middle of other players on the course swings or strokes.  I agree with you Brian that forced stodginess to the level of the Masters may be a bit much, particularly for a younger audience than the traditional older golf fans.  But, there is still the issue that golf is a concentration game and a game of focus for the players, and has always been generally respected by the fans to be politely quiet in good faith of good spectator ethic.  

This new "Fanatic" phenomenon sets a negative trend.  What is next, fans shouting and waving towels around the putting green when someone is trying to make a putt, as we see in basketball at free throws?  Of the incidents I saw during the broadcast, it seems to me they should have been warned, then if continued, removed from the grounds.  In the team spirit of world championship theme, perhaps some cheers on the first tee and hurrahs when the winning putts are holed, as Colin said, and IMHO.  
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #123 on: November 24, 2013, 02:43:47 PM »
Isn't sledging encouraged in Oz?

Tut, tut, what an appalling suggestion, surely such behaviour is strongly discouraged under the souther cross!

For that matter I cannot imagine for one moment that the alleged incident when Douglas Jardine, a totally non-controversial England Captain (sic), swished away a fly whilst fielding and was immediately greeted by a voice like thunder bellowing from The Hill "Hey Jardine, leave our ....... flies alone!" is actually a true tale!

Nor do I believe for a second that the shout from an Australian fast bowler to an English batsman when a delivery by the former to the latter had just missed his off stump of "You lucky ....... ....!" was ever responded to by "That's the difference between us old chap, I'm a lucky ...... ...., whereas you dear boy, are just a ....... ....!" followed by many smiles and much laughter from the close fielders, is a true tale either.

All the best

Mark_F

« Reply #124 on: November 24, 2013, 03:16:24 PM »
No matter how feral and annoying The Fanatics are, they will always display more class than the Australian cricket team.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back