News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Craig Van Egmond

St Louis Public golf
« on: March 12, 2013, 01:25:31 PM »
Aside from the course where the guy got sucked into a sinkhole, is there any public golf course worth playing in St. Louis?  I will be there next month and may have 1 day to play.  

Any comments on Normandie Golf Club?  I see they use a Golf Club Atlas interview for their history on the website.

« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 02:09:15 PM by Craig Van Egmond »

PCCraig

Re: St Louis Public golf
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2013, 02:00:19 PM »
While probably not the best course in town, I would check out Forest Park...I think it's a pretty neat place to play.

I've also played Gateway National a couple times and think it's pretty good as well.
H.P.S.

Joe McCormac

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2013, 02:22:30 PM »
I would second "The Park."  27 holes and golf in an urban settling.  You'll play along an art museum, jogging trails, busy streets and in the shadow of Washington University.  It's a very unique experience.

Gateway National is great, but it's meant to be a firm and fast links-style course which never plays that way.  It's hard to keep bent grass fairways alive in the hot summer months of St. Louis so it's always soaked.

Annbriar is probably the best public option in St. Louis, but it's in Waterloo, IL a good 40 minutes from downtown St. Louis.  Watchout for sinkholes.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2013, 02:34:00 PM »
Give Glen Echo a call and spin some history on them. They need the money, it is off season. I love the place and after you study up on the 1903 Olympics and Foulis Bros you will too.

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/in-my-opinion/glen-echo-country-club/

Sinclair Eaddy

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2013, 02:51:01 PM »
I would concur on Anbriar (Hurdzan & Fry)-- probably the best but somewhat of a drive. You might try Tapawingo Golf Club which is much closer to the airport in St. Louis. 27 holes Gary Player design.

Craig Van Egmond

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2013, 02:53:43 PM »

I'll be staying in a hotel next to Busch Stadium, so short drive is better. Probably Forest Park or Gateway looks the best.

J_ Crisham

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2013, 03:05:57 PM »
Another solid public option that is about 35- 40 minutes from Busch is Spencer T Olin golf course- a Palmer design that held a US Womens PuB Linx. Usually in good shape-there is always Alton Municipal Golf Course which Tom Doak raved about from his youth- he gave it a solid 1!

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2013, 05:02:05 PM »

I'll be staying in a hotel next to Busch Stadium, so short drive is better. Probably Forest Park or Gateway looks the best.

St. Louis CC. is the best course to play. It is close to Forrest Park, Belle Rive an Old Warson. As a matter of fact everything in St. Louis is close. Please, just tell us where you want to play and be done with this charade!!! 

Craig Van Egmond

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2013, 05:29:53 PM »

John,

If it makes you feel better I can only play on a Monday.. so that leaves out all the privates you keep mentioning.

Thanks for the kind assistance.

Steve Pozaric

Re: St Louis Public golf"
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2013, 08:41:35 PM »
Based on proximity, Gateway would be my suggestion.  Forest  Park (or FoPo) wouldn't be bad.  Gateway gives you a solid, walkable design with good views of downtown.  Make sure you don't make a wrong turn and end up in Sauget or Brooklyn though.  Those places have other types of entertainment.

Steve Pozaric

Jeff_Stettner

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2013, 02:31:43 PM »
Craig,
Ignore John... In addition to the rampant spelling errors and poor grammar, he's projecting his own desire to play STLCC again and looking for a reason to visit our fair city. Of course, he and I have a long-standing game that is well overdue for a rematch, so maybe we can persuade him to burn some fuel and drag his butt to STL.

I can likely assist in Glen Echo... they just redid all the bunkers (Kye Goalby did the work) and the course is a lot of fun to play. Monday's are typically not an issue. Otherwise, play Forest Park. It is the coolest setting for a golf course and the design actually forces the golfer to think strategically. It is one of the gems of public golf from a conditioning, price, interest and accessibility standpoint. Every major city should have such a resource. The only concern will be tournaments... they book Mondays as often as possible.

Annbriar and Gateway are the best results of the 1980's - 1990's building boom. Most of the other courses are not terribly desirable. Private clubs in STL are both prominent and easily afforded, and the public courses tend to reflect the small number of public course players. 

SL_Solow

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2013, 05:59:49 PM »
Barney;  I agree that Glen Echo is a worthwhile day.  Lots of variety, lots of fun.  Not a push over but not painful.  The history adds something.  Its been a few years but I really enjoyed it. 

Jud_T

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2013, 09:03:09 AM »
How can you pass up the chance to see the sinkhole course?
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Craig Van Egmond

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2013, 12:41:34 PM »

Jud,

My understanding is that the sinkhole is fixed.. but Forest Park and Gateway are less than 10 minutes from where I will be staying.

Now, if Jeff and John K were to hold their grudge match there, that's another story entirely. 

My guess is that the Friday before I will call around Forest Park and Gateway to find out who doesn't have a tournament going. Who knows maybe I will end up at Annbriar.

Doug Lindahl

Re: St Louis Public golf New
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2013, 11:22:01 PM »
Craig,
Having played all of the recommendations, I would suggest a trip to Normandie.  It has character and that old school feel that is missing from the other course you are considering.  The conditioning will be the worst of all the options.  If you have an ability to look past that, then this is the place to play.

Annbriar is a good course, but 1,000,000 yards of earth were moved in construction.  

If you play Forest Park, I would suggest playing the Red Bud nine.  It is the only one with any old school architecture.    

Gateway National can beat you up.  If it is wet, I would pass as it becomes a slog fest. It also has several long transitions for the walker.   I became a member in 2008 solely to prep for q-school.  Nice use of a flat, sometimes windswept, piece of land that is flanked by industry and a raceway.  Creating something on a flat plane is about all it has to offer from an architectural standpoint though.  

Doug
« Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 09:12:47 AM by Doug Lindahl »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back