News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bryan Izatt

Re: 2014 Phosphate Feathery -- MINIMALISTS DEFEAT MACRAYNORS
« Reply #175 on: March 20, 2014, 02:47:48 PM »
Some photos from Saturday.  The rest of the troop might well have still been grinding on the course over the morning round - despite the severe warnings from the director of golf on the first tee about the glacial GCA pace of play in the Friday rounds.   ??? ;D :o

The inmates may self identify if they wish.  Lunch on the patio was great - although somewhat pricey.

Bill Brightly

« Reply #176 on: March 20, 2014, 03:13:18 PM »
The MacRaynors won both afternoon rounds... we are just not good early in the morning!

Colin Macqueen

« Reply #177 on: March 20, 2014, 11:55:41 PM »
C'mon Gentlemen identify yersels!
 I know one for sure simply by his braces.....so that has Steve Wilson out of the way. Now what about the other protagonists? I live GCA events vicariously so need IDs and vignettes to get the full flavour. I'll bet there is a few wee stories to tell as you embattled warriors golfed your way to victory or ensured defeat. Confess, confess, download, get it off your chest. I want to hear the gory (glory) details, the gnashing of teeth, the wails and the whoops. Indulge me?

Cheers Colin
"Golf, thou art a gentle sprite, I owe thee much"
The Hielander

Tom_Doak

« Reply #178 on: March 21, 2014, 12:02:53 AM »
The title looks much better now.  Sorry I missed out, but I was only one day home from NZ, and sleeping pretty odd hours.

Bill Brightly

« Reply #179 on: March 21, 2014, 11:07:38 AM »
OK Colin, I'll tell you this story because I know that with your devilish Scottish/Australian sense of humor, you will think it's funny...

The captains lined themselves up to play a critical singles match in the last round. Brightly for the MacRaynors vs Powelll Arms for the Minimalists. Because the MacRaynors lost their two point lead with poor play Saturday morning, I knew I had to take 3 points from Powell in the afternoon.

I played decently on the front nine and was three up at the turn. (Thanks to Powell going walkabout on holes 8 and 9, forgetting he had shots and scooping up two putts, conceeding the hole when he had a chance to tie. :) )

I was in good shape after the 13th, one up. Playing downwind on the par 5 14th, I hit my best drive, only to watch Powell hit his about 60 yards past me. Rather than go for the green, I wisely hit a nice draw with a 3 rescue, avoiding the waste area under the hole, but not too far to reach the high right bunker, leaving a simple chip below the hole.

Going for the green in two, Powell (one of far too many lefties on this trip...) fanned his iron about 100 yards in the air and 30 yards left into the waste area. Lucky to even find the ball, he flubbed one about 2 feet, then skulled the next one 30 yards over the green. I hit a really good 7 iron bump and run to 5 feet past the hole. I would have preferred below the hole, but it really was no problem. The BEST Powell could do was an up and down bogey for 6 and I lag for par, right?

Wrong. For about the 100th time Powell avoided his wedge and putted from far off the green. (How does a parkland player from Philly learn to hit 50 yard putts?) It wass a downhill snake that rollled over all kinds of bumps and knobs, missed the sprinkler heads, lurched onto the green, broke sharply left and tracked right for the GD pin. Into the cup it went for 5...

Now as a seasoned match player, this should NOT have rattled me. I had no choice but to lag my downhill breaking putt to ensure a 5. But standing over the putt a little voice in my head reminded me that I could still win the hole with a birdie 4, so I took some of the break out and hit it firm... My return putt, longer than the first one... never sniffed the hole. I lose the hole, back nine squared.

I had to give Powell shots on 3 of the last 4 holes, each one dead into a strong wind and he is much longer than me. He won the back one up to salvage a point, and the Minimalists won 39 1/2 to 36 1/2.

You happy now? :)
« Last Edit: March 21, 2014, 12:07:16 PM by Bill Brightly »

Powell Arms

« Reply #180 on: March 21, 2014, 11:36:34 AM »

You happy now? :)

I know I am. 

I barely remember us [you] playing 8 & 9.  I certainly remember 14 and 18.
PowellArms@gmail.com
@PWArms

Bill Brightly

« Reply #181 on: March 21, 2014, 12:03:15 PM »
I can walk you through your shots on 8 and 9 . ;) Think waste areas and wedges going over greens...

But on hole nine, while you were busy pursuing your ball on the 10th tee (after being 30 yards right of the green for a couple of shots ...:) you missed one of the best shots I hit all weekend.

The pin was front middle. I thinned my 8 iron approach into the back right bunker and was essentially DEAD. There was no sand shot that I could hit that would land on the green and not roll downhill into the front bunker. So I aimed 90 degress to the right at a nob in the fringe, hit that nob, and the ball then trickled dead left down the hill to 15 feet.

I honestly think that the combination of the green and that back bunker might be too severe.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2014, 12:08:42 PM by Bill Brightly »

Powell Arms

« Reply #182 on: March 21, 2014, 01:37:13 PM »
I can walk you through your shots on 8 and 9 . ;) Think waste areas and wedges going over greens...

But on hole nine, while you were busy pursuing your ball on the 10th tee (after being 30 yards right of the green for a couple of shots ...:) you missed one of the best shots I hit all weekend.

The pin was front middle. I thinned my 8 iron approach into the back right bunker and was essentially DEAD. There was no sand shot that I could hit that would land on the green and not roll downhill into the front bunker. So I aimed 90 degress to the right at a nob in the fringe, hit that nob, and the ball then trickled dead left down the hill to 15 feet.

I honestly think that the combination of the green and that back bunker might be too severe.

Ah, I do remember your shot. So good I decided to pick up - that shot deserved to win the hole even if I was still in it.

I agree , the green and rear bunker on 9 is severe. Hence my strategic attempt to approach it from the adjacent 17 red fairway.
PowellArms@gmail.com
@PWArms

Howard Riefs

« Reply #183 on: March 21, 2014, 03:56:50 PM »

And before the actual shot, you asked me to mark my ball that sat on the fringe.  I looked at you quizzically and then saw you work your magic.

Don't forget the 210-yard rope you hit from the right side of 12 fairway that landed perfectly on the green's upslope and nestled three feet from the pin for a takeaway birdie.

« Last Edit: March 21, 2014, 06:28:38 PM by Howard Riefs »
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Colin Macqueen

« Reply #184 on: March 21, 2014, 06:03:01 PM »
Very happy gentlemen!  That made for excellent breakfast reading! The cut and thrust, the parry and foil! Just love it!

Cheers Colin
"Golf, thou art a gentle sprite, I owe thee much"
The Hielander

Bill Brightly

« Reply #185 on: March 21, 2014, 06:48:38 PM »

And before the actual shot, you asked me to mark my ball that sat on the fringe.  I looked at you quizzically and then saw you work your magic.

Don't forget the 210-yard rope you hit from the right side of 12 fairway that landed perfectly on the green's upslope and nestled three feet from the pin for a takeaway birdie.

Howard, it is not a "takeaway" until your opponent says "take it away." Words that Powell could not quite utter. :)
« Last Edit: March 21, 2014, 10:37:03 PM by Bill Brightly »

Powell Arms

« Reply #186 on: March 22, 2014, 08:37:10 AM »

Howard, it is not a "takeaway" until your opponent says "take it away." Words that Powell could not quite utter. :)

Lockjaw may have had something to do with having my own birdie putt.  And you being three feet above the hole.

I think I reawakened right around this point in the match.
PowellArms@gmail.com
@PWArms

Bill Brightly

« Reply #187 on: March 22, 2014, 01:21:34 PM »

Lockjaw may have had something to do with having my own birdie putt.  And you being three feet above the hole.

You recovered from temporary lockjaw syndrome after your bold birdie effort came up a mere 6 feet short, then another miss. :) But I do not blame you after watching my putting display over the weekend!

Powell Arms

« Reply #188 on: March 22, 2014, 01:33:21 PM »

You recovered from temporary lockjaw syndrome after your bold birdie effort came up a mere 6 feet short, then another miss. :) But I do not blame you after watching my putting display over the weekend!

And then the pillow fight resumed to halve 13...
PowellArms@gmail.com
@PWArms

Bill_McBride

« Reply #189 on: March 22, 2014, 02:47:12 PM »

And then the pillow fight resumed to halve 13...

One of my buddies has a great line when you look away when he's got a two footer.   "Millions for cancer research, not one dime for lockjaw."

Howard Riefs

Re: 2014 Phosphate Feathery -- MINIMALISTS DEFEAT MACRAYNORS New
« Reply #190 on: March 24, 2014, 12:55:25 PM »
A belated thanks to everyone who attended and participated in The Phosphate Feathery.  It was a super weekend with a great group of guys, fun matches, perfect weather, and a healthy amount of complimentary beer and mysterious appetizers.

I’m a little light on photos this year but here are a handful from the courses….

Clubhouse

Red Course

Red #16 and Blue #7

Blue Course

« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 12:59:18 PM by Howard Riefs »
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back