News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David Ober

Re: Streamsong 2014 GCA Outing -- UPDATE
« Reply #75 on: April 10, 2013, 12:17:09 AM »
Interested.

Jud_T

« Reply #76 on: April 10, 2013, 08:14:09 AM »
Ramada Lakeland $59/night...just sayin'....
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Bill_McBride

« Reply #77 on: April 10, 2013, 08:17:32 AM »
I wonder how those rates compare with high season rates at Bandon.  Double?   That is a very optimistic rate card!

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #78 on: April 10, 2013, 08:58:48 AM »
Ramada Lakeland $59/night...just sayin'....

Exactly..that would be okay with me...heck its only sleep.

Ari Techner

« Reply #79 on: April 10, 2013, 11:31:45 AM »
I am very sad to see this huge rate increase at Streamsong.  I have been there twice this year and both times I had a great time but left a little concerned about how they would get enough people there to keep it alive long term.  For a golf experience that was imo the best public in FL by a good margin, it was just not very busy.  This rate increase will kill the place imo.  I know I would not go back for that price.

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #80 on: April 10, 2013, 11:52:05 AM »
£598 per night twin share, pounds not dollars, are they joking?
Cave Nil Vino

Chris_Hufnagel

« Reply #81 on: April 10, 2013, 11:58:36 AM »
For what it is worth, I am really disappointed to hear this news - Streamsong was on my short list of places to go see.  

I work pretty hard to seek out great courses and amazing golf experiences and have made some long and expensive trips to "destination" resorts and private clubs.  I had planned to participate in Howard's trip this March, but a family wedding made that impossible.  I was already planning on the trip in 2014 and was going to include a few days after the outing and have my family meet me at Disney World.  As it stands with those prices, I most likely won't make the trip next year unless something offsite can be accommodated.  

I am assuming someone there did some research on the market and their consumer to determine the new rates – perhaps I am not in their demographic?

I wonder if someone from their operation is lurking here - I would think we may be a good focus group...
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 12:00:44 PM by Chris Hufnagel »

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #82 on: April 10, 2013, 12:01:15 PM »
It is possible that packages at the hotel could be considerably cheaper.

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #83 on: April 10, 2013, 12:04:13 PM »
Companies will pay those rates no problem. Heck Tpc Sawgrass was closed Monday AND Tuesday for an outing.
Charlotte. Daniel. Olivia. Josephine. Ana. Dylan. Madeleine. Catherine. Chase. Jesse. James. Grace. Emilie. Jack. Noah. Caroline. Jessica. Benjamin. Avielle. Allison.

Bill Brightly

« Reply #84 on: April 10, 2013, 01:06:58 PM »
Guys, you really need to wait and see what the golf/room package rates will be at the new hotel. I bet they'll be FAR less. Then your decision will be whether or not you mind a two minute shuttle ride to the first tee, or have deep pockets and are willing to pay for the privelege of walking down the stairs to the first tee. As much as I loved staying in the lodge, you can't argue the economic theory of selling the very limited number of premium rooms (8 king singles and 4 queen-queen doubles) at a premium price. Economics 101 baby, supply and demand determines price...

Bandon has a shuttle from the condos and no one seems to mind.

« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 01:11:45 PM by Bill Brightly »

Howard Riefs

« Reply #85 on: April 10, 2013, 01:33:15 PM »
Guys, you really need to wait and see what the golf/room package rates will be at the new hotel. I bet they'll be FAR less. Then your decision will be whether or not you mind a two minute shuttle ride to the first tee, or have deep pockets and are willing to pay for the privelege of walking down the stairs to the first tee. As much as I loved staying in the lodge, you can't argue the economic theory of selling the very limited number of premium rooms (8 king singles and 4 queen-queen doubles) at a premium price. Economics 101 baby, supply and demand determines price...

Bandon has a shuttle from the condos and no one seems to mind.

I agree with Bill.  I'll let everybody know what I learn about the rates for the Lodge package as soon as I receive them. 
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Ari Techner

« Reply #86 on: April 10, 2013, 01:38:12 PM »
If this is just rates for staying in the club house and the new lodge is ALOT less than I take back my comments.  I have no problem staying in the lodge and taking a 2 minute shuttle (or driving my own car) to the course.  I really hope that is the case for the health of the resort long term.

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #87 on: April 10, 2013, 01:56:33 PM »
Sounds like you could spend a week at Barnbougle (including flights) for the cost of a weekend at Streamsong.

I don't recall the cost of the hotdogs in Bridport, but the Wallaby Steak was reasonably priced.
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #88 on: April 10, 2013, 02:35:24 PM »
Yes, lets not give up yet, besides worst case scenario its the Ramada and barbq with cartilage!!!
Just kidding the barbq was great, especially the brisket

Howard Riefs

« Reply #89 on: April 10, 2013, 02:39:59 PM »
Howard: I have heard that Kohler is very expensive - how does this compare in price? 

Jerry,
There's really not an apples-to-apples package to compare, especially as Streamsong has yet to provide the package for the Lodge rooms.  But, suffice it to say, this Streamsong package for the Clubhouse Rooms would be significantly more than what's available at Kohler.  

For comparison purposes, Kohler currently has the Dye-abolical package (http://www.americanclubresort.com/packages/tac/to_dye_for.html) that provides:

* Three nights at The American Club.
* Four, 18-hole rounds of golf per person. One round on each of the following courses: Straits and Irish at Whistling Straits, River and Meadow Valleys at Blackwolf Run.
* Golf car fees at Blackwolf Run.
* Caddie fees at the Straits and Irish courses (does not include caddie gratuity).
* 1/2 hour golf lesson with Kohler Golf Academy instructor. All lessons include video analysis with the state-of-the-art JC Video system. Advance reservations required. Please book lesson at time of booking the Dye-abolical Package.
* Complimentary green fees for replay golf with opportunity to book in advance on Meadow Valleys and Irish courses. Golf car, caddie fees and gratuities not included.

$1,603/per person (+ tax) is the prime season (July - September 2013) rate for this package in a double occupancy room.

While the amenities and package features are somewhat different, the pricing does correlate to the current double occupancy rate for the current Clubhouse Stay and Play package that includes golf (including replays) for each night of stay, breakfast and lodging. That runs $1,589 (tax incl) for a three night stay.

"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Howard Riefs

« Reply #90 on: April 10, 2013, 02:41:00 PM »
Yes, lets not give up yet, besides worst case scenario its the Ramada and barbq with cartilage!!!

I'd rather stay in the Clubhouse and pay the $4,166 than eat that BBQ cartilage again.

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #91 on: April 10, 2013, 02:56:49 PM »

I'd rather stay in the Clubhouse and pay the $4,166 than eat that BBQ cartilage again.

I'd almost pay the $4,166 to watch you guys eat the BBQ cartilage!   ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #92 on: April 10, 2013, 03:10:58 PM »

Michael,
I think you already did that this year.

March is probably still in season. When would the prices start going down as the temps and humidity go up?

I'd almost pay the $4,166 to watch you guys eat the BBQ cartilage!   ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Howard Riefs

Re: Streamsong 2014 GCA Outing -- CORRECTION
« Reply #93 on: April 12, 2013, 03:42:28 PM »
Now I know what it's like to scream "fire" in a crowded theater.  

I had a good discussion yesterday with the general manager at Streamsong. Yes, down in Polk County they follow discussions here on GCA and appreciate the candid feedback -- good, bad or indifferent.  

A couple key updates and corrections:

1.  I misread the pricing. Yep, and it created quite a firestorm. My apologies for the energy wasted in the process. The contract read that "The Clubhouse Stay + Play Package rate is $839.00 and $1,298.00 per room per night based on single and double occupancy respectively and is subject to tax."  The wording is awkward, especially as most golf packages are priced on a per person basis and not a per room basis. (The general manager agreed and they'll change the wording moving forward.)  

In the process, I also transposed the figures for the single and double occupancy rooms.  It's $839/night (plus tax) for the single occupancy; and $1,298 (plus tax) for the double occupancy, which would be divided by two for the per person/per night rate  of $649 (plus tax).  While we're at it, package pricing didn't include the tax, I incorrectly added on the local sales tax (5%) instead of the occupancy tax (12%). I updated the initial post with the package pricing, which is also provided below.

2.  They don't want to make it so difficult for groups and guests who want to stay in the Clubhouse rooms.  They decided to scrap the plan of having the "All Inclusive Clubhouse Golf Package" as the ONLY offering for the Clubhouse rooms in 2014.  Instead, they will ALSO offer the existing "Clubhouse Stay and Play Package" that is currently available.  This package includes golf (including replays) for each night of stay, breakfast and lodging. Following are the 2014 rates for this package, which are a slight increase ($50/night single occupancy and $40/night/person double occupancy) over the 2013 rate:

PER NIGHT/PER PERSON                                     TOTAL FOR 3 NIGHTS/PER PERSON (incl tax)
Single occupancy:                 $715/night + tax (12%)                                                                 $2,402
Double occupancy:                $535/night + tax (12%)                                                                 $1,797  

3.  The pricing for the Lodge rooms is still being reviewed and not yet final. The general manager will provide it to me once the rates are set, which should be in a couple weeks.  Additionally, he will kindly provide the group a discount for the rates.  I won't post those figures on the site because it's simply not fair to Streamsong.  If you previously expressed interest in the outing, I will PM or email the pricing to you once I have it.  I'll simply ask that  you, in turn, not post the figures on the site.  Deal?

4.  I almost forgot.  The $12 hot dog is off the menu.  It's been replaced by a Chicago hot dog priced at $8.  That in itself is reason to celebrate.  Our next mission: Get Streamsong to serve it without ketchup.

UPDATED

I heard back from the Streamsong sales manager and general manager about the group package for 2014.  

Dates:  I requested the dates of Thursday, March 13 to Sunday, March 16, 2014. That’s the first weekend after daylight savings, which was suggested by Mike Whitaker and others.  

Package details:  For starters, I inquired about the clubhouse guestrooms that we had for this year’s trip. (The group package rates for the 212 room Lodge are not available yet.)  With the opening of the 212 rooms in the Lodge this winter In 2014, Streamsong will offer two packages for the be offering the Clubhouse Guestrooms:

* “All Inclusive Clubhouse Golf Package" (my name for it): resort within the resort” package. This means that the package for these rooms will Includes all meals (breakfast, lunch and dinner) for each night of stay, golf (including replays) and lodging.

PER NIGHT/PER PERSON                                 TOTAL FOR 3 NIGHTS/PER PERSON (incl tax)
Single occupancy:        $1,298/night + tax (7%) $839/night + tax (12%)               $4,166  $2,819
Double occupancy:       $   839/night + tax (7%) $649/night + tax (12%)               $2,693  $2,180

* "Clubhouse Stay and Play Package":[/u] Includes golf (including replays) for each night of stay, breakfast and lodging. (This is the same package as the current Clubhouse Stay and Play package.)

PER NIGHT/PER PERSON                                     TOTAL FOR 3 NIGHTS/PER PERSON (incl tax)
Single occupancy:                       $715/night + tax (12%)                                                                      $2,402
Double occupancy:                      $535/night + tax (12%)                                                                      $1,797 [/color]

Pricing: The pricing of this Clubhouse Golf Package is somewhat eye-opening, startling, (insert other adjective) particularly in light of what we paid this year and even based on the prime season rates currently offered in the resort’s Stay and Play package (http://www.streamsongresort.com/packages/stay-play-package). Heck, even when benchmarked against Streamsong's peers.

For comparison purposes….

The 2013 Clubhouse Golf package for our GCA outing in March was discounted 20% off the top for a pre-opening rate; it also featured four rounds of golf, breakfasts and lodging. Not included: replay rounds ($90); the optional round ($175) for Thursday arrival day; lunch or dinner:

TOTAL FOR 3 NIGHTS/PER PERSON (incl tax)
Single occupancy:                                                                               $1,660
Double occupancy:                                                                              $1,184

Streamsong’s current Clubhouse Stay and Play package includes golf (including replays) for each night of stay, breakfast and lodging. The rate (available from 12/26/2012 - 06/16/2013) that synchs with our March dates:

PER NIGHT/PER PERSON              TOTAL FOR 3 NIGHTS/PER PERSON (incl tax)
Single occupancy:            $665/night + tax (7 12%)                                  $2,134 $2,234
Double occupancy:           $495/night + tax (7 12%)                                  $1,589 $1,663

As you can see, the Clubhouse Stay and Play Package rate in 2014 is $40 (double) and $50 (single) per night more than it is in 2013.

Suffice it to say, I didn’t sign a contract for the rooms in the Clubhouse.  

As a next step, the sales general manager will provide me with the group package rates for the Lodge Golf Package once it is available in a couple weeks.  I also requested a golf-only group rate for those who don’t want to stay on premises.  I’ll post both once I receive them.  

More to come….  
« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 03:44:27 PM by Howard Riefs »

Powell Arms

« Reply #94 on: April 12, 2013, 03:52:14 PM »
Howard, thank you for your efforts.

To your item 3, it is a deal.

Now I know what it's like to scream "fire" in a crowded theater.  

I had a good discussion yesterday with the general manager at Streamsong. Yes, down in Polk County they follow discussions here on GCA and appreciate the candid feedback -- good, bad or indifferent.  

PowellArms@gmail.com
@PWArms

Bryan Izatt

« Reply #95 on: April 13, 2013, 03:12:23 AM »
Howard,

When and if this gets organized, do you intend that the event only be open to those who choose to stay on property?  I'd be interested, but not if I have to stay and eat (even breakfast) on property, even at the corrected price.  As I break down the price, it seems the single room is $425 per night plus tax.  I've never come close to paying that for a hotel, not in NY, London, Rome, Tokyo, Shanghai, Singapore or Paris, and don't intend to at Streamsong.  I've been to Streamsong twice and loved the golf but paid only the green fee.  I can stay in the Lakeland area in a nice hotel for, at most, 1/3 the price.  If that's possible for the event, then I am interested.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #96 on: April 13, 2013, 12:04:52 PM »
Howard,

You're a MORON

Howard Riefs

« Reply #97 on: April 13, 2013, 08:49:31 PM »
Howard,

When and if this gets organized, do you intend that the event only be open to those who choose to stay on property?  I'd be interested, but not if I have to stay and eat (even breakfast) on property, even at the corrected price.  As I break down the price, it seems the single room is $425 per night plus tax.  I've never come close to paying that for a hotel, not in NY, London, Rome, Tokyo, Shanghai, Singapore or Paris, and don't intend to at Streamsong.  I've been to Streamsong twice and loved the golf but paid only the green fee.  I can stay in the Lakeland area in a nice hotel for, at most, 1/3 the price.  If that's possible for the event, then I am interested.

Bryan,

I've also asked Streamsong to provide pricing for a golf-only package — in the event that differs from the standard per round and replay rates. Staying on-site won't be contingent on attending. I'll put you down on the "interested" list accordingly.

Howard,

You're a MORON

You are correct.

Howard Riefs

Re: Streamsong 2014 GCA Outing -- PROVIDE YOUR EMAIL
« Reply #98 on: April 20, 2013, 12:46:04 PM »
3.  The pricing for the Lodge rooms is still being reviewed and not yet final. The general manager will provide it to me once the rates are set, which should be in a couple weeks.  Additionally, he will kindly provide the group a discount for the rates.  I won't post those figures on the site because it's simply not fair to Streamsong.  If you previously expressed interest in the outing, I will PM or email the pricing to you once I have it.  I'll simply ask that  you, in turn, not post the figures on the site.  Deal?

I received pricing and package information from Streamsong. I will be ready to share it next week with interested parties after I clarify a few items with the resort.

For those interested, including those whose names I captured on the first post of this thread, I ask that you provide me your email address. It will be easier for me to provide the information that way and track any resulting replies.

If those of you who already expressed interest but don't get around to sending me your email address, I'll still send you the information via PM — albeit it's not my preferred process.

You can provide me your email address via:
*  PM
*  Reply to this post if you're inclined
*  Email it to hriefs <at> yahoo.com

I'll stress once again that I don't want anyone to provide any information regarding the pricing on GCA or other forums.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 02:52:39 PM by Howard Riefs »

Bill_McBride

Re: Streamsong 2014 GCA Outing -- PROVIDE YOUR EMAIL
« Reply #99 on: April 20, 2013, 02:14:54 PM »
Put me in, coach!  Billmcb320@yahoo.com.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back