News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

SteveOgulukian

I just got a groupon type thing for Lake Isle CC but I must admit that I know nothing about this course.  I'm sure there are plenty of you that have played it and I was wondering what your thoughts were.

Any input would be appreciated and if you are interested in the deal just PM me and I'll send it over to you.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 09:05:17 AM by SteveOgulukian »

V. Kmetz

Re: Lake Isle CC (Devereux Emmet) - Eastchester, NY - Your thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2013, 01:20:17 PM »
Though its right in the middle of one of the finest golfing districts in the world, Lake Isle is not in the first or second tier of courses and is much closer to a municipal track in reputation than anything.

Formerly called "Vernon Hills" (up to the early 70s?), it is short, tight, and heavily-treed, with OB left on almost half of the holes and three holes which play along the perimeter of a strip mall/shopping plaza.  For a "private" club (I did not know it was still fully private) it has an indifferent level of turf maintenance and very uniform oval greens throughout.

I haven't played there in more than a dozen, fifteen years, but it is not exceptionally fun to play from those distant memories.

But any day out on the links at a new place should be fun; and so please enjoy yourself...but do not expect to be blown away by a hidden gem.

cheers

vk
"The tee shot must first be hit straight and long between a vast bunker on the left which whispers 'slice' in the player's ear, and a wilderness on the right which induces a hurried hook." -

Chris_Blakely

Re: Lake Isle CC (Devereux Emmet) - Eastchester, NY - Your thoughts?
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2013, 07:50:26 AM »
Please note that Stephen Kay renovated Lake Isle 15 or so years back and altered a lot of the Emmet that was there.  The course is OK, but has had a lot of changes not for the better.  The course was Originally known as Vernon Hills.  From my source that used to be a member there, the bunkering was more prolific and deeper and was drastically altered to aid the aging membership.

Chris

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back