News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Michael Whitaker

Re: Streamsong 2013 GCA Outing -- Recaps and photos New
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2013, 05:26:11 PM »
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 07:25:12 PM by Michael Whitaker »
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Bill_McBride

Re: Streamsong 2013 GCA Outing -- Recaps and photos
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2013, 07:22:58 PM »

Bill McKinley

« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2013, 08:35:24 PM »
Great stuff fellas!! Looks like everyone had a great time. I have two thoughts that stick out above all else. 1. Sturges, quite the beard on ya there! 2. Howard, excellent course pics using different filters to show depth and naturalness.
2016 Highlights:  Streamsong Blue (3/17); Streamsong Red (3/17); Charles River Club (5/16); The Country Club - Brookline (5/17); Myopia Hunt Club (5/17); Fishers Island Club (5/18); Aronomink GC (10/16); Pine Valley GC (10/17); Somerset Hills CC (10/18)

C. Sturges

« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2013, 09:03:10 PM »
Bill,
Thanks!  You missed the hat that makes it.  Great pictures, but it makes me sad being at PGA National and knowing how good the golf could be just an hour away.
chris

Bill Brightly

« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2013, 12:49:57 PM »
Rather than start another Streamsong thread, I'll just tack on to this one.

I have just returned from a 4-day, 6 round trip with 14 guys from my home club. Everyone had a great time and everyone LOVED both course. When asked to pick Blue or Red, our first vote was 6-6 with 2 saying they were equal. When forced to choose, these guys both gave Blue the nod. Not surprisingly, those expressing a preference for the Red were our lower handicaps (1 through eight) and higher handicaps (8-15) chose Blue, except for me, a 4 handicap.

When asked to split 10 rounds, the lower handicap guys tended to go 7-3 or 6-4 Red, while the higher handicappers said either 5-5 or 6-4 Blue.

A few random comments: Our group played the Blue course from the Black tees every round and saw no reason to change. We played the Red from the Blacks the first round, and changed that to Black on the front nine and Silver on the back. On our last round, we played the Red the same way, except we played the Green tees on the par fives on the back. Hole 18 Red is a much better hole from the Green, IMO.

My buddies are non-gca types but all serious golfers. Those preferring the Red said they like the way the tee shots set up (which I take to mean they were confused on where to hit it on the Blue...) The Red has some classic centerline bunkers with clear choices to be made on the tee,  so the "sticks" in my group naturally liked that better. For example, Hole 11 gives you the option of going high right and having the best look at the green, but the tee shot is likely to hit into the upslope and not roll as far. Lower left will run much farther, but require an uphill approach and you'll have to take on the front left greenside bunker. (I took this option and had to shape a perfectly hit 4 iron draw.) So while the tee shots are far more demanding on the Red, this is not something that low single digit handicaps seem to mind.

I think the Blue requires far more plays to comprehend. I liked it more after my thirsd round but would need to play it more to better understand everything that is going on.

I was really surprised to see a Biarritz on a Coore & Crenshaw course. What a great version! While the hole does not have the classic side bunkering, the right side has a high dune covered in natural vegetation, and the left side is a severe downslope so most pulled shots will wind up 30 yards or below the green. But the hole plays exactly how a Biarritz should due to the firmness of the green. Those trying to hit full shots to the back must carry the swale or else it will roll all the way back. I hit knocked down shots well short of the swale that rolled nicely to the back, but to get it close to the pin you really need to play to the right half of the green to catch the righ-to-left slope. Just a really fun hole.

« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 01:07:31 PM by Bill Brightly »

Bill Brightly

« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2013, 01:46:27 PM »
The other thing I should add is that Steamsong will have a huge advantage over Bandon because they allow golf carts. My guys all walked in the morning and rode in the afternoon. A few had been to Bandon and said therey are too old to walk 36 anymore.

The golf purists may scowl, but the demographic willing AND ABLE to spend what is costs to go to Streamsong will not be able to walk 36.

Evan Fleisher

« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2013, 09:03:03 AM »
A few of my own photos to add...not much golf represented, but since I organized the BBQ part of the outing I thought I'd add those shots here as well.

Me in front of the 7th hole Blue Course

Let's order us some 'Q!

The motley crew...

Cartilage?  What cartilage...
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 12.2. Have 24 & 21 year old girls and wife of 27 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

Sam Morrow

« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2013, 10:43:18 AM »
That clubhouse is really interesting looking. The Doak picture in the room is really weird, was it sticky yet?

Howard Riefs

« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2013, 10:58:44 AM »
For those who admired one of Chris Sturges' eye-catching accessories he showcased at Streamsong, it can now be yours:

http://www.golflocker.com/golf-apparel/taylormade-rocketbladez-one-bucket-golf-hats

You didn't think it was going to be that beard, did you?
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Greg Tallman

« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2013, 05:45:52 PM »

Joe Bausch

« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2013, 05:54:54 PM »
NATURE DIVERSION OFF RED 12 TEE BOX

There was a Simpsons episode like this with a pig and Homer....    !

Tail is curly. . . .
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 06:09:38 PM by Joe Bausch »
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Chris Johnston

« Reply #36 on: March 22, 2013, 06:01:57 PM »
Was the armadillo seen before, or after, the barbecue?

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #37 on: March 22, 2013, 11:03:26 PM »

In line for a $12 hot dog?

Greg - Check out the "special" on the hand written white board:

Two hot dogs (or corn dogs), a bag of chips and a 16oz fountain drink for $2.99!!!!!!!!!!
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back