News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jason Thurman

Interesting things in Anaheim
« on: March 08, 2013, 12:42:05 PM »
I'm at a conference in Anaheim in late June and planning to squeeze in a round or two.

Currently, the plan is to make the trek up to Rustic Canyon one day after the conference wraps up at noon. From everything I've read here, I won't regret making the trip.

I'm not sure if I'll have time for an additional round, but I've tossed around a few ideas. One includes playing Trump National at its twilight rate. It seems like a decent bargain for $80 if for the ocean views alone, and I'd like to see a course that elicits such strong reactions and find out for myself how I feel about it. Torrey and Barona are a bit too far for my schedule to allow.

Assuming no access to the private courses, is there anything more interesting than Trump National for the twilight rate? Keep in mind that I said "interesting" and not "architecturally significant." Architectural significance is interesting in and of itself, but I also find things like trainwrecks, arguments, examples of terrible public parenting, Turtle Man, ridiculous plastic surgery, people who eat at The Cheesecake Factory, Joakim Noah's jump shot, Dustin Johnson in bunkers, and the occasional Rory McIlroy meltdown "interesting."
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

Tim Leahy

Re: Interesting things in Anaheim
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2013, 01:14:49 PM »
I would recommend Angeles National a Nicklaus course off the 210 in Sunland as good canyon style desert course in LA area.

http://www.angelesnational.com/home.html

Also if you want interesting try Industry Hills Ike course maybe the toughest course in LA but cart ball at its finest:

http://www.ihgolfclub.com/

Also one of my hidden gems is Malibu Golf Club, public in the Malibu hills, very fun to play, a little out of the way:

http://themalibugolfclub.com/

In the OC, Strawberry Farms is pretty good:

http://strawberryfarmsgolf.com/

If you are driving from the OC across town during the week give yourself plenty of time, to Rustic your looking at Hour & half or more. Listen to the traffic alerts on the radio and ask the locals for short cuts, there are plenty of freeways to take in LA.

I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Bill Seitz

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2013, 01:30:59 PM »
I'd say you won't regret playing Rustic.  Driving to Moorpark from Anaheim though (and back), you may regret making the trip.  It's quite a haul.  As to the rest, if you're already in Orange County, I'd head to down to San Clemente Municipal before going to Trump.  It's got ocean views, it's closer, and it's probably $150 cheaper.  If money's not an obstacle, Pelican Hill is pretty close, and they have two courses that I haven't played.  Oak Creek isn't too far either.  I actually like Tijeras Creek the one time I played it, but it doesn't have a good reputation architecturally speaking. 

Connor Dougherty

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2013, 11:13:46 PM »
Jason,
Yes, Rustic is a great course and if there's no traffic (a huge if) it's worth it.

Trump National is a little out of the way compared to Anaheim. Be prepared to bring golf balls if you go, it has to be hone of the narrower golf courses I've ever played.

I agree with Tim, Malibu is a fun track, and it has been a long time since I went.

If Pelican Hill is too expensive I'd recommend Oak Creek in Irvine, IMO it's one of the better Fazio courses I've played. You need a cart to get across the train tracks there so it's not walkable, but it has a few good holes, and it's much easier to get to.
"The website is just one great post away from changing the world of golf architecture.  Make it." --Bart Bradley

mike_beene

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2013, 12:13:00 AM »
In Anahiem,
If you hear any strange sounds 4 or 5 times a night that's just Josh Hamilton striking out

Greg Chambers

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2013, 12:16:30 AM »
Disneyland!!!
"It's good sportsmanship to not pick up lost golf balls while they are still rolling.”

Pat Burke

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2013, 01:12:34 AM »
After Rustic IMO

Oak Creek  Expensive, decent Fazio
San Clemente  inexpensive by our standards.  But a fun day
Goose Creek in Mira Loma is about 40 minutes east  Inexpensive and fun golf course by Brian Curley.  A great value

Pelican Hill is typical Fazio with great views, and expensive

I just played Goose Creek in a qualifier, and would recommend it.  Basically opposite traffic, and a fun day

Bill Seitz

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2013, 02:31:17 AM »
In Anahiem,
If you hear any strange sounds 4 or 5 times a night that's just Josh Hamilton striking out

Don't be a hater. Actually, I'd suggest working in an opportunity to watch the best player in baseball, who will be making a mere $510,000 this year. Maybe Jason will get lucky and see one of the top three pitchers in the AL as well, which would give the home team a lineup of four future Hall of Famers that night.

Connor Dougherty

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2013, 05:42:10 AM »
In Anahiem,

Don't be a hater. Actually, I'd suggest working in an opportunity to watch the best player in baseball, who will be making a mere $510,000 this year. Maybe Jason will get lucky and see one of the top three pitchers in the AL as well, which would give the home team a lineup of four future Hall of Famers that night.

Bill,
Maybe the best baseball player is playing in your town for $510,000, but there is no doubt that the best team is playing up north ;) Money can't buy heart, go A's! :D
"The website is just one great post away from changing the world of golf architecture.  Make it." --Bart Bradley

Jud_T

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2013, 06:36:31 AM »
Jason,

If you're gonna pay up anyway, have your pro get you on the Riv.  Otherwise I'd simply play both rounds at Rustic.  It's that good and that good of a value.  Or switch the return flight out of San Diego and check out Barona Creek! 

P.S.  the best player in baseball will be playing for the Daytona Cubs...
« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 06:44:00 AM by Jud Tigerman »
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Mike Schott

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2013, 06:39:06 AM »
Rustic Canyon is easily worth the drive but plan on at least a 2 hour drive from Anaheim. 

Wade Whitehead

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2013, 08:46:33 AM »
Anaheim isn't anywhere near Rustic Canyon.  And, seriously, you could find en route that you aren't going to make it on time, no matter when you leave.

WW

Scott Weersing

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2013, 08:09:31 PM »

Rustic Canyon is good drive from Anaheim but it is against traffic as you take I5 north and then cut across the 118. It is worth the drive.

I played 36 holes down at Arroyo Trabuco in Mission Viejo on my last visit to CA, and it has 17 good holes and one connector hole that should never have been built.

Another good course, though I haven't played it, is the Quarry out in Riverside. Lots of write ups about it here.

Jason Thurman

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2013, 10:50:02 PM »
Again guys, I'd be playing Trump at twilight for 80 bucks. That seems like a pretty good rate even if the course is second rate.

Also on the agenda: an Angels game and a trip to Disneyland, which is basically across the street from the hotel.
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

mike_beene

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2013, 12:04:33 AM »
Actually Josh Hamilton was the A's MVP last year: both at the plate swinging at every outside pitch and in the field loafing in to drop that fly ball ( and then laughing it up in the Ranger dugout).As Wash would say: "that how baseball go"

Joe_Tucholski

« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2013, 03:26:14 AM »
Surprised at the back to back love for Malibu.  I didn't enjoy my rounds there.  Thought it was narrow, built on a tough site, wonder if the conditioning has changed since you guys last visited and not a course I'll return to.

Wayne Freeman

« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2013, 02:40:58 AM »
I would second the notion to forget about Rustic...  unless you're leaving Anaheim at about 5:30 in the morning and plan on leaving
  before 2.  Trump is only good if you can get a cheap rate...   awful design but beautiful vistas if there is no fog.. 
  I like the idea of playing Arroyo Trabuco.  It's close, has very good value and is solid.  Pelican is beautiful also with nice ocean views  but can be really pricey.  If you want to drive a little, the best course within about 45 minutes is Oak Quarry.  It is excellent and a lot better than Goose Creek or any of the other Riverside offerings.

Bruce Katona

« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2013, 01:38:04 PM »
We did an Angels game when we stayed in OC a few years ago.  Drove up, parked, walked into the stadium, watched the game, sat in a bit of traffic (not bad at all) to get out and back down to OC.

This is compared to a drive to Yankee Stadium; sit in traffic to pay the toll to cross the GWB, crawl across the GWB, crawl across the Cross Bronx, drive down Jerome Ave and sit at every light; park (90-120 minutes door to door), hoof over to the Stadium, watch game, pray the car is still there & not vandalized when done, crawl up Jerome Ave to Cross Bronx, cross the GWB and head home.

Alex Miller

« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2013, 01:41:22 PM »
We did an Angels game when we stayed in OC a few years ago.  Drove up, parked, walked into the stadium, watched the game, sat in a bit of traffic (not bad at all) to get out and back down to OC.

This is compared to a drive to Yankee Stadium; sit in traffic to pay the toll to cross the GWB, crawl across the GWB, crawl across the Cross Bronx, drive down Jerome Ave and sit at every light; park (90-120 minutes door to door), hoof over to the Stadium, watch game, pray the car is still there & not vandalized when done, crawl up Jerome Ave to Cross Bronx, cross the GWB and head home.

I'm baised  ;D, but if you are coming down the 5 (yes, "the 5") and are in the carpool lane, getting off at Gene Autry Way, paying $5 for parking, and walking 10 min through the gates might be one of the easiest experiences I've consistantly had entering a proffesional sporting event.

Bill Seitz

« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2013, 02:05:51 PM »
I'm baised  ;D, but if you are coming down the 5 (yes, "the 5") and are in the carpool lane, getting off at Gene Autry Way, paying $5 for parking, and walking 10 min through the gates might be one of the easiest experiences I've consistantly had entering a proffesional sporting event.

I too am biased, but I'd say that walking out my front door, walking 10 minutes to Wrigley Field, and walking through the turnstile is the easiest consistent experience I've had attending a sporting event. :)  But the Big A has historically been a much easier in-out experience than Dodger Stadium. 

J_ Crisham

« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2013, 02:25:43 PM »

I too am biased, but I'd say that walking out my front door, walking 10 minutes to Wrigley Field, and walking through the turnstile is the easiest consistent experience I've had attending a sporting event. :)  But the Big A has historically been a much easier in-out experience than Dodger Stadium. 
The experience is great but the product is embarassing- for the first time I refused last year to buy Cubs tickets. Wait until next year is now here- they are on their way to another epic losing season given their awful pitching rotation.

David Ober

« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2013, 02:30:37 PM »
I would second the notion to forget about Rustic...  unless you're leaving Anaheim at about 5:30 in the morning and plan on leaving
  before 2.  Trump is only good if you can get a cheap rate...   awful design but beautiful vistas if there is no fog.. 
  I like the idea of playing Arroyo Trabuco.  It's close, has very good value and is solid.  Pelican is beautiful also with nice ocean views  but can be really pricey.  If you want to drive a little, the best course within about 45 minutes is Oak Quarry.  It is excellent and a lot better than Goose Creek or any of the other Riverside offerings.

I disagree about Oak Quarry and Goose Creek. I am really enjoying Goose Creek lately -- especially with the new back tees and firmed up greens this time of year.

R_Paulis

« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2013, 02:43:06 PM »
The drive from Anaheim to Moorpark can be a traffic nightmare but if you leave early enough in the AM you'll be surprised how quick you get there. Getting through Los Angeles before the morning commute starts and you can be at Rustic in a bit over an hour. That means a morning departure of 5am from Anaheim. Rounds at RC can be painfully slow so a very early tee time might be best.

The problem is the ride back south to Anaheim. You might be able to sneak back to OC in the early afternoon with limited traffic but that's unlikely. And anytime between 3pm to 7pm and your travel time could easily top 3 hours.

If you have a free day you might consider playing a second round at RC and just driving back late. There's enough threads about nearby Lost Canyons to make up your own opinion should you want something different for a second round...

THE 5 to THE 118 is the route. Once you get to the 118 it's clear sailing. There's no benefit of taking any freeway further west. Heading further inland if traffic is bad is usually a wash at best.

David Kelly

« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2013, 02:50:26 PM »

I disagree about Oak Quarry and Goose Creek. I am really enjoying Goose Creek lately -- especially with the new back tees and firmed up greens this time of year.

David,

I agree with you about Goose Creek over Oak Quarry.  Oak Quarry is visually more interesting because of the quarry and ravines but Goose Creek is a much more interesting course - with the exception of the terrible 18th hole.

That said, Rustic Canyon is twice as good as the other courses mentioned here but as has been said the drive from Anaheim to Moorpark would be tough.
"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

Jud_T

« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2013, 03:10:34 PM »

The experience is great but the product is embarassing- for the first time I refused last year to buy Cubs tickets. Wait until next year is now here- they are on their way to another epic losing season given their awful pitching rotation.

Current over/under in Vegas is 72 wins.  I'll take the over for a casual dinner and drinks.
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back