News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark Bourgeois

Re: Five greens to putt anywhere in the world
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2013, 06:27:47 PM »
Velma Dace Dinkley that looks wild. What kinds of options would be created by mowing the surrounds closely?
Charlotte. Daniel. Olivia. Josephine. Ana. Dylan. Madeleine. Catherine. Chase. Jesse. James. Grace. Emilie. Jack. Noah. Caroline. Jessica. Benjamin. Avielle. Allison.

David_Elvins

« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2013, 06:47:07 PM »
I would vote 5 times for the 13th at Barnbougle.

Coming late in the round with a view of the 2 holes before it, iit is always easy to work out how much time you can spend there.  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mb4k6gvhEeA
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Mac Plumart

« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2013, 07:05:11 PM »
Short at National

Actually...not a bad call, Dave.
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Keith OHalloran

« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2013, 07:18:03 PM »
#5 Nassau CC, Glen Cove NY
#3 Southampton GC
#9 Rivermont GC, Atlanta GA
#10 Winged Foot (with Neil Regan)
# 3 Sand Hills

Sam Morrow

« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2013, 07:56:49 PM »
My Five That I've Played (Sort of 5)

1. Wolf Point, go with the double green combo of 8 and 18.
2. Dismal River 10
3. Prairie Dunes #8
4. Sand Hills, either 2 or 6.
5. Austin Golf Club #6

5 That I wanna play

1. 5 at Augusta
2. 13 at Augusta
3. 14 at Augusta
4. 17 at The Old Course
5. 17 at Valderrama

Potpourri
1. The green from Sitwell Park
2. The Himalayas
3. And of the greens on The Horse at Prairie Club

Jud_T

« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2013, 08:00:29 PM »
With a bit more thought, I'm sure I can come up with five, but I'd start with this one:

17 at Spring Valley?
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

archie_struthers

« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2013, 08:02:37 PM »
 ??? 8) ???

the first at NGLA.   The second at Pine Valley. ..  My top two.

Phil McDade

« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2013, 08:28:49 PM »
Velma Dace Dinkley that looks wild. What kinds of options would be created by mowing the surrounds closely?

The land around that green is pretty darn flat; there's not much interest nearby that would seem to warrant a close shave. Not that there's anything wrong with that. ;)

Phil McDade

« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2013, 08:30:00 PM »
With a bit more thought, I'm sure I can come up with five, but I'd start with this one:

17 at Spring Valley?

No, but that's on my list. I'm working on my top 5 right now. (Good guess, off by about 40 miles...)

Bill Brightly

« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2013, 09:07:00 PM »
I like this thread, but wouldn't it be better to name the top five best sets of greens on a course?
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 09:08:40 PM by Bill Brightly »

Jason Walker

« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2013, 09:22:49 PM »
Gonna go homer and say Tavistock number 12.  An awesome green with a great spine through the middle, several humps, a false front, and two Daytona 500 turns in the back.  Once at my computer will post some pics.

Wade Schueneman

« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2013, 09:29:34 PM »
NGLA 1
Kingsley 13
Rivermont 9
Lane Creek 14
Aiken 1/17 (double green)

Honorable Mention

Ballyneal 7 (or 12)
NGLA 6
Crystal Downs 6 (or 7 or 13)
Prairie Dunes 8
North Berwick 16
Rivermont 2
Rivermont 12
Kingsley 9 (or 3 or 4)
Sebonack 2

DREAM LIST

Pine Valley 2
Augusta national 14
Barnbougle 13
Pasatiempo 16
RMW 5
Oakmont 18 (or 2 or 9 etc.)

Tyler Kearns

« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2013, 09:53:22 PM »
Barnbougle Dunes 13
Meadow Club 3
Kingsley Club 9
Sand Hills 2
Dismal River 10

jonathan_becker

« Reply #38 on: March 07, 2013, 09:57:46 PM »

#5   Bandon Trails
#6   Royal Melbourne West
#13 Barnbougle Dunes
# 8  Brookside
#15 Oakmont

5 at BT

6 at RMW

13 at BD

8 at Brookside

15 at Oakmont

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #39 on: March 08, 2013, 12:28:30 AM »
5/13 TOC
16 North Berwick
16 Deal
6 RMW
6 Chicago Golf
Cave Nil Vino

Patrick Kiser

« Reply #40 on: March 08, 2013, 12:38:32 AM »
I'll play... These come to mind at the moment, but there are really too many out there.

Winged Foot West 1st ... with Neil Regan too
Riviera 6th ... with Mac
Pasatiempo 8th ... with Joel S. and Gib  ;)
Eden 1st ... with Allan and FBD
Golspie 7th ... with David T. and Allan
“One natural hazard, however, which is more
or less of a nuisance, is water. Water hazards
absolutely prohibit the recovery shot, perhaps
the best shot in the game.” —William Flynn, golf
course architect

Ben Sims

« Reply #41 on: March 08, 2013, 01:03:49 AM »
Pasa #10
Old Mac #6
Ballyneal #3
National #16
Wolf Point #2 (or #7 or #14)

Honorable mentions

Palmetto #5
Pasa #8
Pac Dunes #7
Oakmont #2
Sleepy Hollow #15

Gib_Papazian

« Reply #42 on: March 08, 2013, 01:49:38 AM »
# 9 at Yale - maybe #2 also.

One that nobody has mentioned that has to be top-5 most insane putting surfaces on the planet is #3 at Meadow Club.

If anybody has a picture, please post. Brother DeVries is a obviously a seriously disturbed maniac.

#3 at Maderas in Poway easily made my top-5 for maddening complexity, but the owner decided to destroy what he could not understand. I wrote this letter in 1999. It fell on tone-deaf ears.

Mr. Aaron Feldman
Sunroad Enterprises
1455 Frazee Road, #1000
San Diego, CA 92108

Dear Sir,

I recently had occasion to play your Maderas CC in Poway. The purpose of my visit was twofold, the first being to evaluate it pursuant to an assignment from a magazine panel. The second for the purpose of suggesting possible destinations for my readership at the ANG San Mateo County Times.

Needless to say, I found your golf course extremely well done - certainly some of the best work I have ever seen from Graves-Pascuzzo. To that end, I will suggest your course to my readers and fellow raters as a worthwhile design effort.

That said, I was rather disappointed to learn that you are planning on re-contouring several of the putting surfaces. Oddly enough, when I reviewed my notes, the greens you are planning on changing were the very ones I found the most compelling.

It is not my habit to pen presumptuous letters instructing a course owner on how best to present his course, but my sense is that you are making a serious mistake. Upon examination, your putting surfaces are specifically contoured in such a way as to reward approaches from particular angles - the same strategic element that gives Augusta National its character.

If, for whatever reason, you are convinced that the movement of the greens is too severe, you might consider slowing them down slightly. I have personally evaluated over 300 courses in North America and the United Kingdom, and found this irrational desire for Stimpmeter speed has been responsible for an astonishing amount of unnecessary and expensive emasculation of otherwise fine golf courses.

It brings to mind the 18th green at Sitwell Park in England. Built by Dr. Alister Mackenzie, the Green Chairman of the course was initially unhappy with the boldness of the contours and demanded it be changed.

Undaunted by controversy, Mackenzie convinced him to leave it for a year to give the membership time in which to become accustomed to it. Naturally, #18 eventually became acknowledged as one of the outstanding greens in the United Kingdom and a source of great pride amongst the members at Sitwell Park.

In short Sir, the clever putting surfaces on your golf course are its centerpiece - and what elevates it above the mundane and pedestrian architecture of your neighboring courses. Given time, the challenge of unlocking their secrets will bring your customers back again and again.

Sincerely,

Gilbert “Gib” Papazian II   

Sean_A

« Reply #43 on: March 08, 2013, 02:04:08 AM »
This is an odd question because much of what makes a green cool, the approach, is out of the picture.  Spending a long time putting on a green means for me most of the purely slopey ones are out.  So are greens like 16 NB. 

With sleep in my eyes

16 Pennard
10 Grosse Ile
16 Woking
5/13 TOC

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Chuck Glowacki

« Reply #44 on: March 08, 2013, 04:50:18 AM »
Since my "world" is limited to the east end of Long Island I submit the following:

#1 -  NGLA
#3 -  NGLA (surprised it has not been mentioned yet)
#6 -  NGLA
#11- NGLA
#13- NGLA

Phil McDade

« Reply #45 on: March 08, 2013, 09:41:18 AM »
Five from Wisconsin:

The aforementioned 10th at Blue Mound G&CC in suburban Milwaukee WI (BM probably has a half-dozen on its own, but I'll focus on five separate courses with greens of interest):

The 15th at Ozaukee CC, also in suburban Milwaukee WI (Ozaukee, with all of its original Langford/Moreau greens intact, also has about a half-dozen candidates, including the crazy three-tier 8th and the very interesting 12th, but the 15th is perhaps the most fun):

The 17th at Spring Valley CC, near Salem WI, a criminally under-rated L/M that has a great collection of par 3s; the 17th has the best green, and this photo doesn't do it justice:

The par 3 5th at Blackhawk CC near Madison WI, not original to the course, but a very interesting green, set at a 45-degree angle to the tee, with two distinct tiers and benched against a small hill; it slants noticeably from the upper right to lower left corners:

The par 4 16th at Maple Bluff CC near Madison WI, a smallish green benched against a hillside; the green tilts from back to front, and features a large, abrupt spine jutting in from the right side; a pin tucked front right (from the golfer's perspective in the fairway) is fun to negotiate from an approach hit too far long and right:

Jeff Bertch

« Reply #46 on: March 08, 2013, 10:11:11 AM »

#5   Bandon Trails
#6   Royal Melbourne West
#13 Barnbougle Dunes
# 8  Brookside
#15 Oakmont

Great Pictures! Wish more would add pics to share with everyone, especially those who haven't been everywhere (like myself). It really helps to visualize these wonderful green complexes. Very interesting thread...

Jeff
you know...a caddie, a looper, a jock

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #47 on: March 08, 2013, 10:22:40 AM »
Gib, it saddens me you think Tyler Kearns a nobody.

Sean: 16 Woking! Yes, the sooner you get that sleep out of your eyes the better, for when you do you will go Woking 12, 3, 14 (in that order). Come to think of it, weren't you the one in favor of blowing up that hole? 16 Woking 16 Woking...
Charlotte. Daniel. Olivia. Josephine. Ana. Dylan. Madeleine. Catherine. Chase. Jesse. James. Grace. Emilie. Jack. Noah. Caroline. Jessica. Benjamin. Avielle. Allison.

Jason Walker

« Reply #48 on: March 08, 2013, 11:29:18 AM »
Pics from 12 at Tavistock...photos courtesy of Joe Bausch's photo tour..

Tyler Kearns

« Reply #49 on: March 08, 2013, 12:07:58 PM »
One that nobody has mentioned that has to be top-5 most insane putting surfaces on the planet is #3 at Meadow Club.

If anybody has a picture, please post. Brother DeVries is a obviously a seriously disturbed maniac.

Gib,

I had noted the tremendous 3rd at Meadow Club, and as you desire, here is a picture;

TK
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 12:17:04 PM by Tyler Kearns »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back