News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Anders Rytter

Re: Sheep and cattle on the course
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2013, 01:03:10 PM »
Also, i think i read in a RCD Club history  that the changes in flora there was predominantly due to less rabbits

James Boon

« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2013, 05:26:08 PM »
Based on JK's comments  I guess if you are from the UK , Europe or a colonial, you wont have a problems with animals, but from the other side of the pond you will?  ;)

JK,

You really should make the trip over here to Brora, Kington or wherever, all fantastic courses and the other residents only add to the experience! I remember playing Clyne in Wales when some cows where on the fairway of a dogleg hole. We all proceeded to fire our drives their way only to find that they had drawn our eye and our aim away from the true line!  ::)

Tom,

I enjoy Wollaton (Wayne Manor), though perhaps a course in its setting could / should be a touch better? Never had a problem with the deer though I know a few members who refuse to play in September because of the rut!!! I'm ambivalent about 15 as I think its a poor hole but always enjoy the challenge of trying to sneak home in two. Whats wrong with the 5th?

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Jaeger Kovich

« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2013, 07:59:57 PM »
James, I've payed a golf course with cattle on it... Dannebrog in Dannebrog, Nebraska, was there over the summer. It has sand greens that are fenced off with barbed wire, and no irrigation. Aside from the herd themselves and their pies they leave everywhere, there were also plenty of old bones and other cattle artifacts scattered around the 9 holes....  If there was ever a golf course to have cattle grazing, this is the one, there is nothing there they can destroy, and barely any visitors to bother them.

I dont particularly care for the idea.... But... If it was such a great idea, dont you think the supers at Sandhills, Dismal, Wild Horse, Prairie Club etc would have the out grazing? At the very least they could have them out during the winter months when the couse is closed for play, but NO they dont do that either.

There is nothing wrong with animals on a course, they dont bother me at all. I dont care for the ones that cause a lot of damage!

Bradley Anderson

« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2013, 08:24:54 PM »
After Thanksgiving dinner my brothers and I would take wedges and hit balls on my uncles pasture. The turf was as tight as any mower could make it and the pasture had a sinuous stream cutting through it which made for all kinds of interesting targets to hit to. I've always said that those games were pure and as much fun as I have ever had playing golf.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back