News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Gib_Papazian

Re: Five greens to putt anywhere in the world
« Reply #50 on: March 08, 2013, 03:58:34 PM »
Tyler,

Apologies Laddie, I somehow missed that you beat me to it. I wish we had a late-afternoon photo from the front left, which would better illustrate the wild rolls and creases. There are actually some fairly easy pin positions amidst the contours and segmentation, you just have to be crafty enough to use them to advantage.

However, taken as a whole, the green is every bit as maddening as #1 at NGLA. DeVries and I spent a half hour sticking tees in the green and putting from different angles; I'm still astonished that some of the members didn't have a coronary at how severe #3 is. Don't get me wrong, I love it - but not everybody has as twisted a sense of humor as I do.

His re-contouring of #13 at Green Hills - albeit with less square footage - was easily as wild and perhaps more-so. The collective I.Q. of the club was insufficient to decipher its complexities and they opted to blow it up and rebuild it. The membership constantly crows about their MacKenzie pedigree, but evidently can only tolerate a watered down version. Stupid is as stupid does.

That hole actually holds a special place in my heart as my grandfather made an ace there in 1946 the very first time he every played golf - with a three wood and practice ball. They went off the back nine so it was the 4th tee shot of his life. The newspaper article quoted my grandfather kidding that he was "giving up the game because it's too easy."

Golf God was listening. Grandpa became an avid golfer for the rest of his life, but he never made another one.      

Sean_A

« Reply #51 on: March 08, 2013, 06:26:33 PM »
Gib, it saddens me you think Tyler Kearns a nobody.

Sean: 16 Woking! Yes, the sooner you get that sleep out of your eyes the better, for when you do you will go Woking 12, 3, 14 (in that order). Come to think of it, weren't you the one in favor of blowing up that hole? 16 Woking 16 Woking...

Sleep in me eyes - for sure.  I meant to write 15 Woking - for me the best green on the course.  I will say 10 Hail Marys for my transgression. 

12 is good too, but a little too obvious for a few hours of putting.  Who am I kidding - 15 minutes of putting and I am outta there. 

I wasn't sad to lose the 16th and I suspect it will be a better hole when finished.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Brett_Morrissy

« Reply #52 on: March 08, 2013, 10:18:31 PM »
Barnbougle Dunes: 13 (the best by a margin)

There are many, I'll take some doubles to thin the list a little:

Ballyneal: 7 & 8
Barnbougle Dunes: 4 & 5
Barnbougle Dunes: 15 & 16
Pasatiempo: 16 & 17
RMGC - West: 5 & 6
@theflatsticker

Joe Leenheer

« Reply #53 on: March 08, 2013, 10:31:23 PM »
I have yet to find a course that I enjoy putting more so then Brookside in Canton.

Every green is challenging and will rip your heart out if you stop paying attention for one second. 

Oakmont's 9th/practice green is fantastic.

The Practice Green at the Legends in Myrtle Beach...college memories.

Sharon Golf Club (Ohio) has some really special putting greens...a bit tamer then Brookside, but not by much.

18th at La Jolla...I just really like the setting.

and the 2nd Hole at Oak Hill CC in Fitchburg, MA....a sneaky Ross course with a great set of greens.

Never let the quality of your game determine the quality of your time spent playing it.

Dan Grossman

« Reply #54 on: March 09, 2013, 12:10:13 AM »
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Rustic Canyon. I can come up five from there!

Tyler Kearns

« Reply #55 on: March 09, 2013, 12:14:57 AM »
I have yet to find a course that I enjoy putting more so then Brookside in Canton.

Every green is challenging and will rip your heart out if you stop paying attention for one second. 

Joe,

A few months back, somebody posted a pictorial of Brookside, and I was in awe of the green contours which I'm positive are much better and bolder in person.  It was certainly a course than flew under the radar for me, no longer.

TK

Chris DeNigris

« Reply #56 on: March 09, 2013, 08:28:16 AM »
A few that I don't think have been mentioned (unless I missed one of Tyler's):

1. 18th at Ballyhack- depending on the wind you may need more than putter

2. There's a really cool green at the Mines- short Par 3 but I can't remember the hole number

3. 5th at Kingsley

4. For me probably any Biarritz- I'll go for NB 16 for the same reason as below.

5. Any green at Dornoch or Lahinch because I would be there.

Gib_Papazian

« Reply #57 on: March 09, 2013, 12:44:38 PM »
#16 at North Berwick is not a Biarritz.  ;)

Stan Dodd

« Reply #58 on: March 09, 2013, 08:12:23 PM »
Royal Dornoch 4 and 5.

Dan Grossman

« Reply #59 on: March 11, 2013, 12:59:05 AM »
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Rustic Canyon. I can come up five from there!

I played at Rustic today and need to add / modify. I could spend considerable time on #2, #4, #5, #6, #7, #9, #10. #12, #13, #17, #18.  Hanse guilts fantastic greens.

Tom Kelly

« Reply #60 on: March 11, 2013, 10:18:47 AM »
Gib, it saddens me you think Tyler Kearns a nobody.

Sean: 16 Woking! Yes, the sooner you get that sleep out of your eyes the better, for when you do you will go Woking 12, 3, 14 (in that order). Come to think of it, weren't you the one in favor of blowing up that hole? 16 Woking 16 Woking...

Sleep in me eyes - for sure.  I meant to write 15 Woking - for me the best green on the course.  I will say 10 Hail Marys for my transgression. 

12 is good too, but a little too obvious for a few hours of putting.  Who am I kidding - 15 minutes of putting and I am outta there. 

I wasn't sad to lose the 16th and I suspect it will be a better hole when finished.

Ciao

The new 16th green at Woking is pretty interesting, I'm sure it will create a fair bit of discussion on here once it opens for play or at least 'Lobb's lump' will.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back