News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

V. Kmetz

The Golf Genie Appears and Grants You Three Rounds...
« on: March 04, 2013, 10:30:04 AM »
...at three courses you have never played.  While not restricted to something you could never play (eschewing something you might get to in the future), you're not restricted to just courses beyond you potential or current access.  Pick what you want as if you will not play it otherwise.

What are those three?

In choosing, the Genie reminds you that you will play and visit the course only...No clubhouse, no grill room, no memorabilia and no one will know or verify you have played there, they have been erased.  Just a plain range, a putting green and you change shoes on your bumper. You can play any set of tees you want and you take a cart if it is permitted at the facility.  You can even pick the weather, but don't list it in your choices - that's a private negotiation between you and the Genie

It is just the course and your own enjoyment.

You may bring a guest, but only one and you may be paired with a member of the golf staff or another member/guest combo.  But perhaps one of your choices is public and you can play as just two.
"The tee shot must first be hit straight and long between a vast bunker on the left which whispers 'slice' in the player's ear, and a wilderness on the right which induces a hurried hook." -

V. Kmetz

Re: The Golf Genie Appears and Grants You Three Rounds...
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2013, 10:32:58 AM »
CLARIFICATION:

"While not restricted to something you could never play (eschewing something you might get to in the future), you're not restricted to just courses beyond you potential or current access.  Pick what you want as if you will not play it otherwise."

...e.g; I might get to play Merion of my own accord, without the Genie, but that doesn't mean I should take it off my list

CHEERS

VK
"The tee shot must first be hit straight and long between a vast bunker on the left which whispers 'slice' in the player's ear, and a wilderness on the right which induces a hurried hook." -

Paul Jones

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2013, 10:37:34 AM »
Augusta National
Nanea
Trump International
Paul Jones
pauljones@live.com

V. Kmetz

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2013, 10:43:59 AM »
Mine:

1. Chicago Golf Club
2. Pine Valley
3. Cypress Point

cheers

vk

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2013, 10:44:29 AM »
1. Cypress Point
2. Pine Valley
3. ANGC

Yup, extremely boring choices but they're probably the 3 best courses I have yet to play and three that have an allure beyond the quality of the golf...

What he said, different order thoug.

1. Pine Valley
2. Cypress Point
3. Augusta National

Nigel Islam

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2013, 10:46:45 AM »
1. Cypress Point
2. NGLA
3. Augusta National

Carl Nichols

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2013, 10:49:36 AM »
Royal Melbourne
Cypress Point
Shinnecock

Joey Chase

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2013, 10:59:28 AM »
1. Shinnecock Hills
2. Oakmont
3. Crystal Downs

Mike Schott

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2013, 11:00:38 AM »
1) ANGC
2) Cypress Point
3) Pine Valley

Ben Sims

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2013, 11:03:07 AM »
Hard exercise. I'm hope some folks that have played everywhere like Tom and Mucci will chime in.

St. Andrews
Cypress Point
Sand Hills (struggled mightily not to beg Robin Williams, 'er the genie for Augusta).

John McCarthy

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2013, 11:05:51 AM »
1.  Ballybunion.
2.  Cypress
3.  ANGC
The only way of really finding out a man's true character is to play golf with him. In no other walk of life does the cloven hoof so quickly display itself.
 PG Wodehouse

Mac Plumart

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2013, 11:07:57 AM »
1. Myopia Hunt
2. Wolf Point
3. Essex
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2013, 11:13:29 AM »
The only course I really want to play that I'm not sure whether I could get on is Ellerston, so I should include that.  Maybe Porcupine Creek, too.  Is it even still in operation after the divorce?

And the only top-50 course I've never played is Oakmont.  I've been there four times, but never had the chance to play.  [No, I'm not fishing for an invitation; I've got a standing invitation, but I haven't been back to Pittsburgh in forever.  Maybe I should put that on my to-do list.]

On the other hand, if I had a genie to deliver me safely to these places, perhaps I would choose the courses that are in less safe parts of the world -- Tabarka in Tunisia, or Caesarea in Israel, for example.  As it stands, my wife is fearful of me going to see them and not coming back.

Matthew Petersen

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2013, 11:13:56 AM »
Augusta National
Cypress Point
Castle Pines

Josh Tarble

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2013, 11:22:04 AM »
1.  Jockey Club
2.  Durban CC
3.  Sand Hills

The first two are probably not the most outstanding choices architecturally speaking, but its pretty safe to say that I won't be seeing those courses without a magic carpet.

Sand Hills, well, because it's Sand Hills.

Mark Pritchett

« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2013, 11:29:06 AM »
Roaring Gap
Capilano
St. Louis CC

V. Kmetz

« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2013, 11:36:00 AM »
TD,

The Genie informs me that you will remain free of revolutionary conduct, political demonstrations, assassins and kidnappers during your round.

In fact, the Genie said he will bring the course to you and place it within a 2 mile drive of your abode.

cheers

vk

Jim Sherma

« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2013, 11:37:13 AM »
In no real order:

In the US

1. Fisher's Island - I need to have a CBM/Raynor course on the list, The National could easily be substituted here without complaint
2. Cyprus Point - 'nuff said
3. Augusta National - Not sure about the pure golf aspect, but to play the individual holes with all of the memories from the tournament would be pretty awesome, It would be an experience that I could relive every year - Pebble would be similar, but outside of the obvious holes Pebble itself does not intrigue me to the same extent (plus I could see myself shelling out the cash to play it some day and therefore not needing the genie)

Outside of the US

1. St Andrews Old - I'm cheating here, I've already played it and I would take another round here before signing on for anywhere else
2. Royal Melbourne West - Always loved the look and how it appeared to play on TV
3. The Machrie - I love links golf and this is one that always intrigued me - there is a long list of links courses I desire to see at some point

Wolf Point is one that could be substituted into the list with little complaint.

BHoover

« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2013, 11:39:05 AM »
In no particular order:

1. Royal Melbourne
2. Cypress Point
3. Shinnecock

V. Kmetz

« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2013, 11:40:10 AM »
JS,

This is a One World Genie and he tells me he wants to know your final list of 3, national or international.

He will deliver the course and its environment to you nearby your home.

cheers

vk

Brian_Sleeman

« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2013, 11:49:58 AM »
Royal County Down
Royal Melbourne
National Golf Links

Cameron DeVries

« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2013, 11:55:53 AM »
Crystal Downs
Augusta National
Cypress Point 

*substitute any of the above for a round at the 1920's Royal Palms
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 12:14:17 PM by Cameron DeVries »
"Progress is impossible without change, and those who cannot change their mind cannot change anything."  -George Bernard Shaw

Bruce Katona

« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2013, 12:02:13 PM »
1. Royal County Down
2. Sand Hills
3. The Original Lido - No one would know iIplayed it & the genie is magical to restore the original layout.

Jason Topp

« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2013, 12:03:02 PM »
Is time travel allowed?  If yes - I would go Old Course - in Old Tom Morris' day, Old Course in the 20s and Old Course today.

Chip Gaskins

« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2013, 12:05:20 PM »
Monfortaine
Hirono
Seminole

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back