News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

ChipRoyce

Re: Survey: What Yardage Do You Actually Play From?
« Reply #125 on: March 02, 2013, 05:35:20 PM »
Our club has 3 courses; the yardages I play

I play 90% or more of my rounds at those yardages. I occaisionally stretch myself by playing the gold tees / tips on the first 2 courses and they're over 7000 yards.

JR Potts

« Reply #126 on: March 02, 2013, 05:36:20 PM »
I usually seek out tees from 6800-7200.  That said, I'll play from anywhere.

Bruce Leland

« Reply #127 on: March 02, 2013, 05:40:29 PM »
The tips at my club are 6,650 so that is the regular dose. When playing elsewhere I look for 6,800 - 7,000. That's plenty deep these days.
"The mystique of Muirfield lingers on. So does the memory of Carnoustie's foreboding. So does the scenic wonder of Turnberry and the haunting incredibility of Prestwick, and the pleasant deception of Troon. But put them altogether and St. Andrew's can play their low ball for atmosphere." Dan Jenkins

Brent Hutto

« Reply #128 on: March 02, 2013, 05:49:44 PM »
Bill, Brian,

For what it's worth, after my one play of the Old and New my take was almost exactly the same as what Brian just said. I thought the Old had a couple of the best holes on the property but over the course of a whole round I'd probably choose the New 6-4 or 7-3 if forced to make a choice. But best to just play 36 with lunch in between!

Those two courses, by the way, were my first two ever outside the USA. Nothing wrong with starting near the top in quality!

Charlie_Bell

« Reply #129 on: March 02, 2013, 06:06:10 PM »
I'm 59, like to play 6500.

Enduring a sloppy New England winter, I was annoyed that you asked about last round until I realized that the last time I played 18 (my home course is 9, and it was a lame summer for golf) was in July at Cabot Links.   

John Kirk

« Reply #130 on: March 02, 2013, 06:18:23 PM »
Last round played:  Stone Eagle GC, from the back tees 6840 yards but plays a bit shorter than that.  Play about half of my rounds from the combo tees at 6550, half from the back tees.

Home course, Pumpkin Ridge GC, about 6500 (private) and 6400 (public) from the second set of tees.  In the summer, we will move back to the championship tees (7030 or so) a few times a year.  Interestingly, the longer course requires greater accuracy rather than distance; you've got to hit it straight from back there.  We almost never play the public course from the 6850 yard back tees because it's too hard.

[edit: If I played golf at Pumpkin Ridge in wintertime, the white tees at 6000 yards may (age 55) be the best choice.]
« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 06:20:08 PM by John Kirk »

Matt MacIver

« Reply #131 on: March 02, 2013, 06:31:12 PM »
Played last weekend at home course Providence CC in Charlotte from the whites, ~6300.

I usually play from the blues, around 6700. The golds at 7050 can actually play a little easier because the distance takes OOB out of play.

Brent Hutto

« Reply #132 on: March 02, 2013, 06:51:20 PM »
Bill, Brian,

For what it's worth, after my one play of the Old and New my take was almost exactly the same as what Brian just said. I thought the Old had a couple of the best holes on the property but over the course of a whole round I'd probably choose the New 6-4 or 7-3 if forced to make a choice. But best to just play 36 with lunch in between!

Those two courses, by the way, were my first two ever outside the USA. Nothing wrong with starting near the top in quality!

Brent - I've never played Ganton - which do you prefer?

I think the property, views, and general experience of the "walk" at Walton Heath is nicer. Either golf course at Walton Heath versus the course at Ganton, itself, I'd say Ganton is the finer course. The fairway bunkering at Ganton is about as good as it gets. This coming from myself who, generally speaking, finds "bunkering" to be an over-discussed and over-sold aspect of golf courses.

Ganton is the rare course where I find myself thinking about the influence of the bunkers in one place or another almost every time I recall my time playing there. What the Walton Heath courses share with Ganton routing-wise is the excellent variety and flow of different-length holes. Plenty of variety among the two-shotters at either place.

Gene Greco

« Reply #133 on: March 02, 2013, 07:08:07 PM »
    Will play any yardage - . (period)

Love 6600. ( 6900 at an elevation of 4000'  ;))

"...I don't believe it is impossible to build a modern course as good as Pine Valley.  To me, Sand Hills is just as good as Pine Valley..."    TOM DOAK  November 6th, 2010

Brian Colbert

« Reply #134 on: March 03, 2013, 09:55:33 AM »
My last round of golf (November 25th) was at white manor cc from 7100 yards. White manor is also my former home course. I will play the tips every time unless I am playing with someone who doesn't belong back there.

Niall C

« Reply #135 on: March 03, 2013, 10:04:03 AM »
I assume that all the yardages given are the course at full stretch of those particular tees ie. assuming that the tee boxes are located at the back of the tee. Is it maybe fair to suggest that at least half the holes are likely to have the tee boxes about 10 to 15 yards further up the tee and therefore maybe we should take 100 to 200 yards off the published length ?

Niall

archie_struthers

« Reply #136 on: March 03, 2013, 10:32:53 AM »
 ??? ;D ;)

Play lots of different yardages depending on group.   Monday afternoon we play tips , at about 6750 yards.  Typically single digit handicappers only.

Most days around 6300 , as group tends to be over 50 average age.  Varying handicaps from 0-25 but all  know how to play. Average time 3hours forty minutes.

David Harshbarger

« Reply #137 on: March 03, 2013, 11:11:47 AM »
1. Edison Club - Blue Tees, 6,721.  (Back tees)

2. Battenkill CC - Men's Tees, ~5,900.

Most of the time I play the White tees, but at the Edison Club, my host wanted to play the Blue/Back tees, which was pretty manageable there.

At Battenkill, the Blue and White tees just distinguish the front and back 9's.  It's funny to see daily fee players that pick the Blue/Back 9 tees on 1, knowing that on 2 they're moving up.  We also have Senior tees, but I wouldn't play them as they are the same for each 9 and that loses some interest.

Since I usually don't play back tees, one thing I particularly like is that on 17 the Blue tees stretch the Par 3 out to 210 yds.  The tyranny of different graduated tees is that even on long par 3's the mid-length tees are never set up to give you a long par 3, more than say 175 max.  At BCC anyone playing the men's tees will play par 3's of 175 (1), 135 (4), 170 (8), 185 (10), 125 (13), and 210 (17). 

To my mind, what makes different sets of tees more interesting than just distance is if they create different challenges.  For example, I think at Streamsong going from one set of tees to another changes playing angles as well as length.  That has to make the differences more interesting to players of all abilities, as just walking up or back 20 yards on a runway tee isn't usually that interesting.
The trouble with modern equipment and distance—and I don't see anyone pointing this out—is that it robs from the player's experience. - Mickey Wright

Colin Sheehan

« Reply #138 on: March 03, 2013, 11:34:55 AM »
My last round was Streamsong Red from the black tees, I believe. Whichever is one in from the back, about 6,400 yards. It was part of an Outpost Club event and I joined the group from those tees. I am always happy to join my playing partners from the member tees.

At my home course, Yale, where I will play about 10, 18-hole rounds a year, I play the Blues (the back tees) at 6,850. All my rounds with the Yale team are from as far back as the course can play. That is their wont. (A few years ago we played Bear's Club and Jupiter Hills on the same day and the combined yardage was 15,000!) I am able to keep up with them using the current technology. I regret to say I am 40 yards longer at the age of 37 than I was in college. I would gladly sign for 1995 ball distances. The eighth hole at Yale was often driver and six or seven iron from 155/165. Now it's more likely to play driver, pitching wedge from 125 or 54-degree from 120.

Jason Goss

« Reply #139 on: March 03, 2013, 11:39:35 AM »
Here at Sonoma I usually play the blues 6679.  Only go back to the blacks 7082 occasionally.  Probably 9/10 rounds are from the blues. 
Jason Goss
Golf Course Superintendent
Sonoma Golf Club
Sonoma, CA
www.sonomagolfclub.com

Carl Johnson

« Reply #140 on: March 03, 2013, 11:44:07 AM »
I assume that all the yardages given are the course at full stretch of those particular tees ie. assuming that the tee boxes are located at the back of the tee. Is it maybe fair to suggest that at least half the holes are likely to have the tee boxes about 10 to 15 yards further up the tee and therefore maybe we should take 100 to 200 yards off the published length ?

Niall

I would agree.  That's why when I reported my normal yardage several pages above, I referred to "on the card" yardage.  In reality, my home course in North Carolina often varies where the tees are actually set up.  This winter (I'd assume that, at least in part, because the ground has been rather soggy) some of our tees have been moved up an entire tee pad from where they are normally set.  Even under normal circumstances (not counting tournament play) I don't think our set-ups would ever be as long as the distance on the card actually says.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 12:14:38 PM by Carl Johnson »

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #141 on: March 03, 2013, 11:50:10 AM »
I played Whispering Pines, Myrtle Beach's municipal course, yesterday. Played the tips: 6,733.

Today I'll play Pawleys Plantation, my home course, at its max yardage of 7,026. I play that set of tees about 97% of the time.

I'll almost always play the tips of any course I go to. The two longest courses I've ever played are the Grande Dunes Resort Club at 7,518 and 7,545. They are undeniably long, but it always depends on how that yardage is distributed among the 18 holes.

I've played 7,000 yard-plus courses that don't feel nearly that long because a lot of that yardage went into long par fives. Actually, Mike Strantz kind of did this at True Blue and, to an extent, Bulls Bay. The other side of the coin is a course like CC of Waterbury in CT, which is 6,500 yards, par 69. Its one par five plays shorter than at least two or three of its par fours (they have 453, 456 and 445, plus par threes at 227 and 234). It plays considerably longer than the likes of True Blue as a result.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Jim Johnson

« Reply #142 on: March 03, 2013, 01:11:56 PM »
"Tequila Cup in Cabo" in January...
Cabo del Sol Ocean Course = 6,340 yards (blues).
Cabo del Sol Desert Course = 6,142 yards (blues) ... with a mix of "gold"/6,680 yds. tees thrown in ... so about 6,300 yds total.
I prefer 6,300-6,400 yards total.
(Hcp. 14, 240-250 yds average "decent" drive)

JJ

Wyatt Halliday

« Reply #143 on: March 03, 2013, 01:30:59 PM »
Last:

Streamsong Blue (Black Tees)

Home:

Common Ground (7,200 at altitude)
Ballyneal (~6,600)

Dave McCollum

« Reply #144 on: March 03, 2013, 02:58:16 PM »
Home & last:  6464 (Blue), Par 72

Play about as often from 6028 (white), very rarely from 6750 (Black).  For me, it’s all about where my pals want to play from.  I didn’t grasp Bill B’s comment about his handicap going down if he moved up.  Splitting my rounds between 6028/6464 yards, most of the rounds used in my HC basis are from the longer track because its higher rating/slope produces a lower index for the same score shot.

I’m guessing play here is 65% White, 25% Blue, 5% Red (5172 yards), 5% Black.  For men, 100% of the women play the red tees.

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #145 on: March 03, 2013, 04:44:26 PM »
It's different in England. There are usually two sets of men's tees, white and yellow. It depends on the club and course, but, white are usually medal tees for competitions only and yellow for everyday/visitor play. At Wilmslow members play the white tees as a matter of course. At some championship courses there will be blue and/or black tees for serious competition, such as the Open Championship, but they are few and far between. On the whole you only play these tees if you are in the Open.

Michael Underwood

« Reply #146 on: March 03, 2013, 08:14:25 PM »
Sterling - 6,500
Ballyneal - 6,700 ish

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #147 on: March 03, 2013, 09:46:12 PM »
In August, with F&F I don't mind playing 7,200

Right now and in the Spring, I mind 6,500

So much of the decision is conditions dependent, even to the daily level.

Jason Connor

« Reply #148 on: March 03, 2013, 10:00:09 PM »
7 pages in 48 hours and not about Merion!

1.  Hawk's Landing (Marriott World Center Orlando)  6135  (par 71)

2.  North Shore Golf Club (Orlando) 6518   (par 72)

North Shore has tees at 6898, 6518, and 5833.   Ideally I choose something around 62-6300 for par 72s. 
We discovered that in good company there is no such thing as a bad golf course.  - James Dodson

Dieter Jones

« Reply #149 on: March 03, 2013, 10:03:25 PM »
Royal Hobart Golf Club (par 72)

Once a month on medal day = 6750 yards
Other 7 times a month = approx 6475 yards

Barnbougle Dunes (par 71) = Boobyalla tees at 6170 yards

Never argue with an idiot. They will simply bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back