News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jim_Kennedy

Rollin' on up to Ekwanok
« on: February 28, 2013, 08:31:08 PM »
Back in '06 Mark Chalfant started a topic on Maxwell:  "Perry Maxwell designs in the northeast USA"

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,22580.0.html

and in it Chris Clouser had a wealth of info:

Maxwell only worked really in the Philly and New York areas.  Here is a breakdown by city.
Philly
Gulph Mills - renovated 5 holes on the course and most of those changes are in place, but Gil Hanse, I believe recently made some changes and Tom Paul can elaborate on how much of Maxwell's work is still in place.
Melrose - the only complete course that Maxwell ever constructed in Philly.  Pieces of the original design remain, but the Parkway construciton eliminated some great holes from the original routing. 
Philly CC - Some of the greens still retain some of his recontouring and the tenth hole is still laid out in the same manner that he rerouted it.
Pine Valley - The 8th and 9th greens that he built are still in place and the bunkers on the right side of the 5th hole are still in place.
Saucon Valley (Old) - Maxwell only redid two holes there and they are still in place.  I think for the club they play as the 11th and 12th now.  I would have to check on that.
He did some other minor work that has been obliterated since at Flourtown and it is believed that he did some work at Merion, but not much else is known about that other than a lot of references to him doing something there. 

Maxwell also maintained an office in Elkins Park, so I believe there was more work in the region than is currently unknown.  Or else I doubt that a frugal man would have had an office.

New York - This area is much more fuzzy.  Most of the work that Maxwell did was on Long Island, with a couple of exceptions.  Most of my information on the Long Island came from Vernon Woods, Perry's nephew as he accompanied him to Long Island the summer Perry worked in New York.
Rockaway HC - Some work to repair the course from the 1938 Hurricane.  Not sure how much is still there as the course has been touched since then.
Maidstone - Some believe he built the current 17th green.  Strong evidence supports that he did some consulting work there in the wake of the hurricane and even some minor work after consulting.
National - He did some work there in the mid 30s prior to the hurricane, but no one knows for sure what.  But based on the work, Macdonald hired him to work at the Links Club and referred him to several other clubs in New York later on after the hurricane ran through.
Huntington CC - Not sure the extent of the work
Perhaps there were others as well.  Vernon remembered going to several places, but the only one that he could really remember the name of was Rockaway.
Maxwell also worked at Westchester CC.  If you want to see the details of what he did in the late 30s there, read the In My Opinion piece on the course on this site.  Good stuff there.
There was also a belief in the family that he did some work at some course in Connecticut, but no one seemed to know what it was and I haven't been able to track down any leads to such work.

If I was starting a Perry Maxwell Society I'd definitely get ahold of Chris.  :D 

I just came across an article that puts Maxwell at Ekwanok in 1939 for the purpose of making the greens more interesting. I've only been up there once to play, maybe 20 or so years ago, so my question(s) is: what greens did Maxwell improve, and does this surprise anyone but me?   ;D

"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

David Harshbarger

Re: Rollin' on up to Ekwanok
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2013, 08:55:38 PM »
Holy Shit!

Are you sure G.T. Isn't a GCAer with a text-to-microfiche app?

That is amazing.
The trouble with modern equipment and distance—and I don't see anyone pointing this out—is that it robs from the player's experience. - Mickey Wright

Ed Oden

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2013, 12:31:27 AM »
Jim, thanks for posting.  As you know, I am working with Chris and a few others to get a Perry Maxwell Society off the ground.  I actually found that article a couple of months ago.  After falling out of my chair, I sent it to Ran, who suggested that I contact Bruce Hepner since Bruce has worked with Ekwanok.  Bruce is checking to see what he can find out.  The article is too detailed to be entirely off base, in my opinion.  So I am confident that, at a minimum, Maxwell formed a plan for changes to the greens.  However, what can't be determined from the article is whether or not the work was actually done.  Hopefully we will learn more.

Ed
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 02:16:07 PM by Ed Oden »

Joe Bausch

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2013, 04:29:11 AM »
What is the date of that article?  And the newspaper?
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Ed Oden

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2013, 07:11:28 AM »

June 6, 1939 NY Sun.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2013, 08:56:30 AM »

June 6, 1939 NY Sun.

Thanks.  What further digging have you done to get more on this Maxwell at Ekwanok lead?  Respond by PM if you (and Jim) wish.
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2013, 10:28:12 AM »
J.L. Taylor was busy at Ekwanok in '16 & '25.  

1st is from The Sun, Sat. June 13 1925
2nd is from The Brooklyn Daily Eagle Sunday June 18 1916

I guess he waved the big stick, but it was his 'ballpark' they were playing on.  ;D
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 10:30:56 AM by Jim_Kennedy »

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2013, 09:37:42 PM »
Here's the 11th green at Ekwanok, ca. 1900:

The photo comes from a 2008 article written by Bob Labbance for Turf magazine:  
http://www.turfmagazine.com/article-371.aspx

When "G. T." wrote this in 1939...

...was he looking at a green like this? I'm not as well versed on Travis as some others, but if he worked on the greens I'd expect that Maxwell would have found something much more interesting than the 'flat', 'undistinguished', putting greens that G. T. described.

« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 09:54:34 PM by Jim_Kennedy »

David Harshbarger

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2013, 09:56:33 PM »
Jim, in the background is a double "cop" bunker in an arc, just like in the Emmet course on the other thread.
The trouble with modern equipment and distance—and I don't see anyone pointing this out—is that it robs from the player's experience. - Mickey Wright

Ed Oden

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2014, 09:24:37 PM »
I thought I would provide a quick update.  A few months after Jim started this thread, I found a second article tying Maxwell to Ekwanok in the June 27, 1940 Greensboro Record.  The article’s focus was on the Gillespie municipal course which Maxwell was working on in Greensboro, NC, but here is an excerpt with the relevant passage on Ekwanok…

A fortuitous call to the Manchester, VT historical society led me to Chip Stokes, who is Ekwanok’s club historian and all around good guy.  I sent Chip both articles about a year ago but hadn’t heard anything for a while.  Then he calls me out of the blue in August with news that they had discovered Maxwell’s proposed plan.  It is unlike any other Maxwell plan I have seen – far more artistic.  I have no idea who actually sketched it.  Here is a digital image…

The plan called for a rerouting of the course.  One possibility is that a rerouting was considered in connection with the relocation of the clubhouse following the complete destruction of the original clubhouse by fire on October 26, 1938.  My understanding is that the clubhouse was rebuilt in essentially the same location and Maxwell’s plan was not adopted by the club.  

I do, however, think the 1939 and 1940 articles support the notion that Maxwell redesigned at least some of the greens at Ekwanok notwithstanding the club’s decision not to move forward with his rerouting plan.  The source of both articles would appear to be Maxwell himself.  And they operate as a timeline to effectively set the beginning and completion of work.  Perhaps additional information will surface to provide more clarity.  In any event, I just thought I would pass along the latest since there was already a thread on the subject.

« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 10:44:44 PM by Ed Oden »

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2014, 12:30:55 PM »
Ed,
What a nice find, thanks for posting it.

Ed Homsey

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2014, 02:29:33 PM »
A fascinating thread.  None of us here in Travis Society headquarters had heard anything about the involvement of Maxwell at Ekwanok CC.  That is amazing, and rather startling.  The map attributed to Maxwell made more changes to the course than would have been required by moving the clubhouse.  The rectangle drawn on that map is almost exactly where the current clubhouse is located, and not far from where the original clubhouse sat.  The number 16 hole on the Maxwell map is the current 1st hole.

Count me as one voice who would like to see a Perry Maxwell Society formed.

Ed Oden

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2014, 10:49:06 PM »
Thanks Jim and Ed.  Maxwell's proposed rerouting was definitely significant.  I think the plan's timing immediately after the fire and the known consideration of rebuilding the clubhouse in different locations is what is drawing attention to whether the plan was tied in to those discussions.  But who knows what his marching orders were in developing the plan.  I spoke with Bruce Hepner last week and he is going to take Maxwell's plan with him the next time he is there to try and get a better feel of exactly what Maxwell was thinking.  One more thing, Bartlett Arkell was Ekwanok's driving force at the time.  He was also a longtime and influential member at Augusta where Maxwell had been making changes for more than a year.  This is admittedly speculation on my part, but I wouldn't be surprised if Arkell knew Maxwell from Augusta and brought him up to Ekwanok to do similar work.

Ed

PS - Maxwell Society is in the works.

Ed Homsey

« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2014, 01:51:10 PM »
Ed--I would guess your speculation about Arkell's acquaintance with Maxwell is true.  Would be interesting, and important, to know more about Maxwell's work at Ekwanok.  We have a picture of the original bunkering on the 7th hole, i.e. the bunkering on atop the hill that cuts across the fairway.  The notation on the picture,  "This is the way the traps were originally designed for the camelback on the 7th hole.  In 1936, they were made far less demanding  by removing some and filling in others to reduce their depth.".  In the background of that picture, you can spot the "double cop-bunkers" around the 8th green that were referred to in an earlier post on this thread.

One other comment.  Hope everyone takes the opportunity to read the link, in Jim Kennedy's first post on this thread, to Bob Labbance's March 2008 Turf article about Ekwanok.  It is a terrific article, and I am fairly certain it was Bob's last published article, since he passed away in August 2008.  Bob loved Ekwanok, and had a long association with the club, including working with Sydney Stokes on the club's centennial history book.

Pardon--but one further comment.  Travis would turn over in his grave (just across a road from Ekwanok), if he were to read the article that Jim Kennedy posted to begin this thread, and hear the greens and bunkers described as that article described them. 

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2014, 02:03:32 PM »
Ed - I was thinking the same thing. But it is a pithy phrase, isn't it - 'flat undistinguished greens [that] stem from this Edwardian era of banal conventionality'.

It makes me wonder how banal many of today's greens will look in a decade or two -- given that all of us are too close to the scene and have our noses too close to the ground to have a real/bird's eye sense of any "convention" that might currently hold sway.

Peter

Ed Homsey

« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2014, 04:45:23 PM »
Peter---I got so caught up in the basic meaning of that sentence that I totally missed the poetic nature of it.  Thanks for pointing that out.  I still disagree with it, but appreciate its form.

In my previous post, I had intended to speculate about the possibility that Maxwell was involved in the changes to the bunkering on the "camelback" of the 7th hole, done in 1936.

Ed

Ed Oden

« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2014, 11:22:04 PM »
Ed, I admittedly don't know that much about Travis, but the description in the first article certainly doesn't fit my general understanding of his greens.  However, Bruce Hepner mentioned to me that he didn't think Travis really get adventurous with green designs until later in his career.  Is that true?  Most of the early photos I've seen of Ekwanok's greens (like the one Jim posted above) actually do appear relatively flat.  I assume Travis evolved through his career just like most architects.  Do you see that kind of evolution from Ekwanok to some of his later designs?

Ed Homsey

« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2014, 05:17:43 PM »
Ed-I've often wondered about the evolution of Travis's ideas about the design of greens.  His own writings pretty clearly point to his month-long golf outing in the UK where he often played 36 holes a day.  Later, he spoke of his admiration for the manner in which their greens reflected the natural undulations of the land.  Of course, his experience at Ekwanok preceded that UK trip, and none of the greens at Ekwanok have the sometimes wild undulations that you find at Cape Arundel, CC of Troy, and others.  However, his full-blown golf design career did not get off the ground till 1916, following his retirement from amateur golf.  Of the courses he designed in 1916, I have first-hand knowledge of just two:  Poland Spring Resort and Orchard Park CC.  There are some interesting greens at Poland Spring, but whether they reflect Travis or Ross is difficult to determine.  With Orchard Park, I strongly suspect that undulations were removed from most of their greens.  I have no definite proof of that, but am making the judgement based on many observations, and hints that there may have been more severe undulations than currentlty exist.  Bruce Hepner spent some time there, so perhaps he would know.  So, it isn't until 1917, and Travis redesign of Hollywood Golf Club that we see the kind of green surfaces we associate with Travis.  In the same year, he designed Onondaga Golf and CC, and today, there are few, if any greens that reflect Travis's hand; maybe 18. 

I'm not sure any of this helps in understanding the "evolution of Travis greens", but it is fun to speculate.  In many instances, it is almost impossible to determine what, or who, might have intervened.  At my course, Stafford CC, designed in 1921, we have original hole maps, and a history telling us about the levelling of greens.

One of the uncertainties about Ekwanok has to do with the relative influences of John Duncan Dunn and Walter Travis.  There are many who would argue that it was Dunn who designed the course.  On the other hand, it is also know that Travis stuck around during the construction of the course while Dunn went back to NYC. 

On another matter:  re Maxwell's layout of the Ekwanok course.  There was some speculation that the revised layout was created because of a relocated clubhouse, following the 1936 fire that destroyed the original.  I'm thinking that the revised layout might have come about because of the wish to have both nines end at the clubhouse, instead of having the 9th hole and 10th tee at the farthest reaches of the course, as they are now.  I've reviewed the Ekwanok centennial book and find no reference to Maxwell, but there is mention of a revised layout that was later changed.

Malcolm Mckinnon

« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2014, 10:46:45 PM »
I just want to say to all of you. Thanks for a fascinating thread! Great stuff!

Malcolm

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2014, 05:08:07 PM »
When J. L. Taylor moved the location of putting greens at Ekwanok in  1916, 1925 and again in 1930 (when he moved the then violin shaped 17th green w/the help of the club's pro,  A. J. Christie) whose work was he changing - and who was advising him?

Ed Homsey

« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2014, 08:24:42 PM »
Jiim--Given the position that Taylor occupied in Ekwanok's history, I would guess that he was operating independently during those changes.  I doubt we'll ever know who's work he was changing.  Some of his changes must have been of the Dunn/Travis design.  But, in 1930? 

Ed
www.travissociety.com

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2014, 09:49:04 AM »
Ed,

No doubt, and here's another article w/ more changes by Taylor, ca.1914, this time building new greens at the first and seventh holes (and other work) in time for the US Am in 1914. Interesting piece of copy from the article - "Ekwanok represents an embodiment of the views of most of the leading authorities on golf links architecture, both here and abroad"

http://tinyurl.com/mponf3a

...and some of the guys whose 'views', ca. 1903, were embodied:  "Walter J. Travis, the former national champion; Charles Blair Macdonald, and Arthur G. Lockwood."  

http://tinyurl.com/ksq3ygs

Lot of inputs at Ekwanok.  ;)
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 01:32:23 PM by Jim_Kennedy »

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2014, 01:35:40 PM »
More changes in advance of the USAm - including extending the 8th green, new bunkers, tees, etc..

http://tinyurl.com/pgoo5fd

Ed Homsey

« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2014, 01:55:54 PM »
Jim--Thanks for those two articles.  Both nice additions to the Travis Society file on Ekwanok CC.  While going through the file, I came across a handwritten letter signed by Robert T. Lincoln, President of Ekwanok CC, and dated July 5th, 1904, in which Lincoln sends his greetings to Garden City Golf Club as follows:  The Ekwanok Country Club in annual meeting assembled sends greeting to the Garden City golf Club upon the occasiion of the complimentary dinner given to Mr. Walter J. Travis, to whom it is most indebted for the laying out and development of its course and who was its first Honorary Member and requests the President of the Garden City Golf Club to present to Mr. Travis the congratulations of the members of the Ekwanok Country Club upon the great victory achieved by him in winning the Amateur Golf Championship at Sandwich". 

I believe it was 1901 when Travis was awarded the Honorary Membership at Ekwanok CC.

For what it's worth?

Ed

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2014, 03:17:44 PM »
Winning sure has its perqs.

Thanks Ed.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back