News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

ward peyronnin

Horace Hutchinson: Designer?
« on: March 08, 2013, 10:20:27 AM »
One of the great amateur players of all time and one who adapted to the massive equipment changes ocurring at the turn of the 19th century and a prolific author.  I was unaware of him as a designer?

Whitty and I are signed up to play his course at Le Touquet pre-buda. Has his work been the subject of review on this sight before? Why does one not hear more about it?

Would love to be prepped for  this venue

La Forêt
18 holes | 5821meters | Par71 | Architect : Horace Hutchinson
Designed within a hundred-year old pine forest, a time to relax and enjoy
"Golf is happiness. It's intoxication w/o the hangover; stimulation w/o the pills. It's price is high yet its rewards are richer. Some say its a boys pastime but it builds men. It cleanses the mind/rejuvenates the body. It is these things and many more for those of us who truly love it." M.Norman

Jeff_Mingay

Re: Horace Hutchinson: Designer?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2013, 10:59:44 AM »
ward,

Hutchinson was also famously involved with the design of Brancaster - Royal West Norfolk - in England.
jeffmingay.com

Scott Macpherson

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2013, 03:29:05 PM »
And at the end of a pretty incredible life, sadly, he took his own. Almost certainly the only former R&A Captain to do so.

Scott

Scott Warren

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2013, 05:29:13 PM »
Ward,

La Foret isnt much of a course, compared to La Mer, but I'm not sure how much of a Hutchinson course it remains.

But Le Touquet and Hardelot are lovely places to play golf and enjoy yourself before and after.

Andrew Bertram

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2013, 04:05:10 AM »
After the first 3 holes I ws thinking I should be at the beach

However after that I really enjoyed the course, there are about 6 really nice holes

The YY members i had with me enjoyed it a great deal

BCrosby

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2013, 10:50:21 AM »
Jeff -

I too had read that HH was involved at Brancaster. Do you have any details on that?

Bob

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2013, 10:51:57 AM »
Jeff -

I too had read that HH was involved at Brancaster. Do you have any details on that?

Bob

Only what I've read over the years, here and there, Bob... Darwin must mention his involvement at Brancaster in Golf Courses of the British Isles. I'd have to take another look though, to be sure.
jeffmingay.com

ward peyronnin

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2013, 02:09:24 PM »
But what do people like/dislike about HH's courses?

Does he have style/philosophy that is discernable?

Have his courses been tinkered with much ? Have they withstood test of time
"Golf is happiness. It's intoxication w/o the hangover; stimulation w/o the pills. It's price is high yet its rewards are richer. Some say its a boys pastime but it builds men. It cleanses the mind/rejuvenates the body. It is these things and many more for those of us who truly love it." M.Norman

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2013, 06:50:55 AM »
No mention of HH (or anybody, for that matter) in Darwin. Neither does Allen, Steel or HH himself make any reference to HH having any sort of hand in the design of Brancaster.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back