News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

jeffwarne

Is it the definition that stands out or what... New
« on: April 02, 2017, 01:59:44 PM »
But that course at Houston is just absolutely hideous on TV.
The curly fairway lines, the awful fake (no doubt quarried in Ohio sand)bunkering (I know all bunkers are fake) the brilliant green overseed,the fake sterile lakes, the boring super fast greens and the accompanying 4 inch strokes.
I guess I should be encourages that I see some brown (at great expense I'm sure ;) )

I'm suprised Augusta allows TV to reference how "similar" the conditions are.
ick...
It's hard to associate bad things with The Masters, but Houston found a way to find all that's bad about Augusta and put an exclamation point on it! (It's almost like Augusta, Myrtle Beach and Falcon's fire had a threesome and made a baby)

You want to prep for Augusta-go play Augusta-worked pretty well for Jack
« Last Edit: April 02, 2017, 10:00:36 PM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

BHoover

Re: Is it the definition that stands out or what...
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2017, 02:17:28 PM »
I am an uneducated rube, but I enjoy it.

jeffwarne

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2017, 02:21:50 PM »

and I'm a hypocrite because in three days I'll be in Augusta worshiping...
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Matthew Rose

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2017, 02:25:50 PM »
The color contrast between the green and the fairway/rough looks especially unnatural to me. Almost video game like.

The course itself kinda feels like they play the same two or three holes over and over again.

American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2017, 03:48:09 PM »

and I'm a hypocrite because in three days I'll be in Augusta worshiping...
Or you could just be seeing, and appreciating, the difference between an original and a copy. I like the Armstrong Hot 5 recordings from the 1920s very much, but I don't like at all listening to that same music being played today, even if it's being played by skilled musicians. Yes, they are playing all the same/right notes and in the right style, but it is simply not the same. One is full of life, sparkling with it's own 'truth', while the other is at best a respectful repetition of someone else's truth/voice/vision. There is also the sense of place, or distinct lack of it: it's Texas, for goodness sakes, not Georgia; just like the Hot 5s were Chicago via New Orleans, not Los Angeles via Boston via the Yale music department.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2017, 04:12:09 PM by Peter Pallotta »

Steve Lang

Re: Is it the definition that stands out or what... New
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2017, 05:53:08 PM »
 8)  I'm amused it took until Sunday for someone to bitch and moan about the GC of Houston Tournament Course...  its kinda like a Wendy's triple burger, big and beefy, a bit too much for most, but they do manicure it very well for the SHO.   

Before GCoH, #2-17 was a wet flat SE TX woody plain across the bayou from the old El Dorado GC which was turned into Redstone...

After GCoH built, a 7 mile walk, not very fan friendly, in 2 months the winter overseed will be gone and conditioning a memory till next spring

« Last Edit: April 02, 2017, 10:39:01 PM by Steve Lang »
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

mike_malone

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2017, 06:15:44 PM »
When the champ is 20+ under do ever need to know more?
AKA Mayday

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back