News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Rob Miller

Re: GCA near DCA: DC meetup time? ANOTHER update: MARCH 21 ???
« Reply #50 on: March 18, 2013, 02:22:29 PM »
I'm also in for the 21st.

J Sadowsky

« Reply #51 on: March 18, 2013, 03:06:31 PM »
I'm a little late to the show, and I'd be interested in joining; I have a cocktail reception to go to at 7pm on the 21st in the Dupontish area.  I can be a little late and so I'd be able to stop by beforehand if I can skip out of work early, though.

Jeb Bearer

« Reply #52 on: March 18, 2013, 03:26:39 PM »
I can go on the 21st. Again, as long as yall dont mind having a kid around.

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #53 on: March 18, 2013, 08:33:50 PM »
Okay, we have a quorum. Thursday, March 21st, 6:15PM-ish, Caddies on Cordell, 4922 Cordell Avenue, Bethesda, MD - unless someone has a better idea.

Directions: http://www.caddiesoncordell.com/contact/

And Jeb, you're more than welcome. The quality of your posts is better than those of most adults on here (mine included ;D ).  Hopefully we have a golf tryout success to celebrate.
Charlotte. Daniel. Olivia. Josephine. Ana. Dylan. Madeleine. Catherine. Chase. Jesse. James. Grace. Emilie. Jack. Noah. Caroline. Jessica. Benjamin. Avielle. Allison.

Jeb Bearer

« Reply #54 on: March 18, 2013, 09:02:38 PM »
And Jeb, you're more than welcome. The quality of your posts is better than those of most adults on here (mine included ;D ).  Hopefully we have a golf tryout success to celebrate.

Awesome. Can't wait. Ehm, I'm sort of in limbo, pending my performance on our spring break trip to Myrtle Beach. But I'm hopeful.

Chip Gaskins

Re: GCA near DCA: DC meetup is ON. 21 March, 6:15PM, Bethesda
« Reply #55 on: March 18, 2013, 10:02:50 PM »
I can do the 21st at Caddies in Bethesda

J Sadowsky

Re: GCA near DCA: DC meetup is ON. 21 March, 6:15PM, Bethesda
« Reply #56 on: March 19, 2013, 11:27:01 AM »
Can't make it out to Bethesda (So much for a "DC" meetup, hmpf!   ;D)  Hopefully we can do this again when my schedule is more accommodating.

Mark Bourgeois

Re: GCA near DCA: DC meetup TOMORROW (THURSDAY) 6:15PM, Bethesda
« Reply #57 on: March 20, 2013, 09:25:47 PM »
Justin,

We're doing this backwards, aren't we? Beer in Bethesda followed probably golf by DC (eg Heinous Point). On the bright side, odds are we'll only get one speed-camera violation per attendee vs 3-4 per in DC.  :P

See everybody tomorrow.
Charlotte. Daniel. Olivia. Josephine. Ana. Dylan. Madeleine. Catherine. Chase. Jesse. James. Grace. Emilie. Jack. Noah. Caroline. Jessica. Benjamin. Avielle. Allison.

Jeb Bearer

« Reply #58 on: March 20, 2013, 09:28:12 PM »
Justin,

We're doing this backwards, aren't we? Beer in Bethesda followed probably golf by DC (eg Heinous Point). On the bright side, odds are we'll only get one speed-camera violation per attendee vs 3-4 per in DC.  :P

See everybody tomorrow.

Gold! Everything wrong with the area summed up in one post!

Carl Nichols

« Reply #59 on: March 21, 2013, 09:59:06 AM »
Can't make it tonight--sorry to miss it.  Have a great time.

Mark Bourgeois

Re: GCA near DCA: DC meetup ALERT WE ARE AT MAGGIES 4914 CORDELL
« Reply #60 on: March 21, 2013, 06:23:00 PM »
Change of plans: we are at Maggie's, 4914 Cordell, Bethesda.

ChipOat

« Reply #61 on: March 21, 2013, 07:46:11 PM »
That explains why I couldn't find you at Caddies.

Next time we need mobile #'s and e-mail info.

ChipOat

« Reply #62 on: March 22, 2013, 05:07:44 PM »
Mark,

Will you post a report?

Attendees, topics of discussion, etc.

Chip

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #63 on: March 22, 2013, 07:02:58 PM »
Yes!

Jeb Bearer, Andy Stamm, and Tim Pitner joined me at Maggie's. A great place -- we got to know Jeff the bartender pretty well. It reminded me that it is better to go where you're treated importantly than it is to go to an important place.

We went over a few old aerials. Bethesda CC was a poor quality printing, unfortunately, but the original Georgetown Prep course looked fascinating. I think we looked at a 1963 aerial; it showed interestingly and well bunkered greens arrayed about the entire property. Had a cross country look to it: drop a ball and pick a green. Maybe we could get Jeb to dig into the archives and come up with the story on the original?

We looked at pre vs post Beltway aerials of Burning Tree and how the road forced changes to holes. There also appeared to be some fascinating bunkers running the length of a hole or two.

We looked at a 1938 aerial of ANGC, noting among other things that even back then the tee shot on 18 was through a "tree chute."

Discussing area courses, we all agreed Tim needs to spend time in Pinehurst! I brought up Mattaponi Springs, which I still haven't played but need to rectify. Perhaps we can do an outing there if it's not too far for people? (Carpooling always an option.)

There were two agreed-upon next steps:
1. Planning an outing.
2. Sourcing a collapsible stop sign. Such a sign could be secreted on one's person. We took a vote and it was decided unanimously that ChipOat would be the perfect person to infiltrate Merion on Father's Day and set it up on 14. It's not just a quirk thing, it's a health and safety issue. Also, no one would suspect him.

ChipOat

« Reply #64 on: March 22, 2013, 08:16:38 PM »
You have now blown my cover - although I wouldn't have endorsed it, anyway.

Jeb Bearer

« Reply #65 on: March 22, 2013, 08:35:44 PM »

We went over a few old aerials. Bethesda CC was a poor quality printing, unfortunately, but the original Georgetown Prep course looked fascinating. I think we looked at a 1963 aerial; it showed interestingly and well bunkered greens arrayed about the entire property. Had a cross country look to it: drop a ball and pick a green. Maybe we could get Jeb to dig into the archives and come up with the story on the original?

I know just where to start, my history teacher has done a ton of research on Prep and I bet he would have something interesting.

Jeb Bearer

« Reply #66 on: March 23, 2013, 03:08:04 PM »
Also, speaking of Pinehurst, my dad and I are playing at Pine Needles 10:00 this coming Saturday. If anyone can make it down/wants to play you're welcome to join us.

Bill Gayne

« Reply #67 on: March 23, 2013, 03:19:54 PM »
I would be interested in an outing at Mattaponi Springs.

A hearty "Go Gonzaga" for the benefit of Jeb.

Jeb Bearer

« Reply #68 on: March 23, 2013, 04:09:08 PM »

::) Uh oh. You an alum? Hoya Saxa baby!

I too would be interested in something at Mattaponi Springs.

Jonathan Mallard

« Reply #69 on: March 23, 2013, 04:39:09 PM »

I'd be happy to meet the group at Mattaponi Springs - it's not too far away. I suggest doing it sooner rather than later. I haven't seen a follow up to this story...

http://www.richmondbizsense.com/2012/01/31/for-sale-golf-course-like-new/

Bill Gayne

« Reply #70 on: March 23, 2013, 04:55:59 PM »

::) Uh oh. You an alum? Hoya Saxa baby!

I too would be interested in something at Mattaponi Springs.

Yes, Gonzaga graduate. Great memories from my time on North Capitol Street. Rumor had it that Father Dooley (Gonzaga president during my day) spent as much time playing golf at Prep as he spent at Gonzaga.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back