News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark Bourgeois

Re: GCA near DCA: DC meetup time?
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2013, 12:03:27 PM »
I live in DC, but can't make it next week.  Also would be happy to host when the weather gets nicer -- if folks would be ok with a well-conditioned but over-treed Arthur Hills renovation!

Manor?

Jeb, when I read this my thought was, "Thanks, Carl, that really narrows it down."

That was the point!

Bethesda.....

Chevy Chase...
Charlotte. Daniel. Olivia. Josephine. Ana. Dylan. Madeleine. Catherine. Chase. Jesse. James. Grace. Emilie. Jack. Noah. Caroline. Jessica. Benjamin. Avielle. Allison.

Carl Nichols

« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2013, 04:36:38 PM »
I live in DC, but can't make it next week.  Also would be happy to host when the weather gets nicer -- if folks would be ok with a well-conditioned but over-treed Arthur Hills renovation!

Manor?

Jeb, when I read this my thought was, "Thanks, Carl, that really narrows it down."

That was the point!

Bethesda.....

Chevy Chase...

BCC is more over-treed. . . .

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2013, 05:03:46 PM »

Manor?

That was the point!

Bethesda.....

Chevy Chase...

Burning Tree...
Charlotte. Daniel. Olivia. Josephine. Ana. Dylan. Madeleine. Catherine. Chase. Jesse. James. Grace. Emilie. Jack. Noah. Caroline. Jessica. Benjamin. Avielle. Allison.

Jeb Bearer

« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2013, 05:23:05 PM »
I had no idea Arthur Hills worked on all of these. Guess I need to get out more  ;)

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2013, 05:39:57 PM »
There are several theories on his secret to success. Here's one: http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,23170.0.html

Carl Nichols

« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2013, 08:11:00 AM »

Manor?

That was the point!

Bethesda.....

Chevy Chase...

Burning Tree...

Congressional Gold....

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2013, 07:51:52 AM »
It seems like we won't have a quorum for 3/7.

How about March 20 or 21?  State your preference.

ChipOat

« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2013, 10:12:50 PM »
70/30 on 3/21; 3/20 no go.  Chip

Jeb Bearer

« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2013, 09:54:24 PM »
20 and 21 both work for me.

Sean Remington (SBR)

« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2013, 10:57:03 AM »
Art got the work at Chevy Chase Club becasue he was already in town working on Bethesda.  One of our lead Members talked with those in charge at BCC then called Art and talked with him.  That was it.  It started out as just a visit and evaluation but quickly went to a full Master Plan and ultimately a complete renovation.  Mr. Hills got into the D.C. market at just the right time and nearly cornered the market on renovation / restorations.  He also got to build a few new courses.  Whatever you think about his work you must give credit for his ability to saturate the area.  I have to believe that this is a unique occurance and you would be hard pressed to find an equivalent situation with another Architect in a large metropolitan area.  I think the work at Chevy Chase was a bit different in that I don't think you can be on that course and see anything that screams Arthur Hills. 

Carl Nichols

« Reply #35 on: March 06, 2013, 11:13:13 AM »
Art got the work at Chevy Chase Club becasue he was already in town working on Bethesda.  One of our lead Members talked with those in charge at BCC then called Art and talked with him.  That was it.  It started out as just a visit and evaluation but quickly went to a full Master Plan and ultimately a complete renovation.  Mr. Hills got into the D.C. market at just the right time and nearly cornered the market on renovation / restorations.  He also got to build a few new courses.  Whatever you think about his work you must give credit for his ability to saturate the area.  I have to believe that this is a unique occurance and you would be hard pressed to find an equivalent situation with another Architect in a large metropolitan area.  I think the work at Chevy Chase was a bit different in that I don't think you can be on that course and see anything that screams Arthur Hills. 

Sean:
Agreed about Chevy Chase (though I've only played it post-renovation), and that also seems true about a lot of his work here -- i.e., that his "renovations/restorations" to existing courses have been better received than his original work.

Andy Shulman

« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2013, 07:34:51 AM »
Either date - 3/20 or 3/21 - works for me as well.  Looking forward to it.

Andy Stamm

« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2013, 10:47:56 PM »
Both dates work for me as well.

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #38 on: March 08, 2013, 10:24:09 AM »
Sigh. And now my calendar has scrambled -- can we make it Monday March 18th?

Andy Stamm

Re: GCA near DCA: DC meetup time? UPDATE: MARCH 18TH??
« Reply #39 on: March 08, 2013, 11:20:55 AM »
3/18 works for me.

Jeb Bearer

« Reply #40 on: March 08, 2013, 09:32:51 PM »
50-50 for me. I may have a school match depending on whether I make the roster.

ChipOat

« Reply #41 on: March 09, 2013, 04:57:01 PM »
3/18 no good.  Chip

Andy Shulman

« Reply #42 on: March 10, 2013, 10:04:37 PM »
I'm currently booked on 3/18.  If my plans fall thru, I'll be there.

Andy Hughes

« Reply #43 on: March 12, 2013, 09:20:18 AM »
3/18 would be a bad day for me
"Perhaps I'm incorrect..."--P. Mucci 6/7/2007

Jeb Bearer

« Reply #44 on: March 16, 2013, 08:52:48 PM »
Soooo...anything?

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #45 on: March 17, 2013, 08:24:59 AM »
Well... it seems we won't have a quorum Monday. My travel plans have changed yet again so maybe try March 21st?

Jerry Kluger

Re: GCA near DCA: DC meetup time? ANOTHER update: MARCH 21 ???
« Reply #46 on: March 17, 2013, 08:39:29 AM »
I believe Hills also did the renovation of Belle Haven in Alexandria and also did work at Woodmont.  It did seem to me that there was often a common characteristic in the greens with 3 distinct pin locations and flat bottom bunkers. 

ChipOat

« Reply #47 on: March 18, 2013, 09:40:08 AM »
Now 80/20 on 3/21; it's on my calendar.  Chip

Tim Pitner

« Reply #48 on: March 18, 2013, 11:17:52 AM »
I can make it on 3/21.

Andy Stamm

« Reply #49 on: March 18, 2013, 02:20:28 PM »
I can do the 21st.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back