News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ran Morrissett

Forest Creek South profile is updated ...
« on: February 21, 2013, 04:51:41 PM »
... under Courses by Country.

I like pulling for the underdog. The newer North Course (profiled in November) is visually more intimidating (and easier to photograph) and has soaked up a lot of the attention that was once reserved for the South Course. Based on various conversations with people who have played both, it seems to me that 6 or 7 out of every 10 people tend to prefer the North to the South based on its WOW factor.

I might fall in that camp too but then again, I might not! One thing about the South is how far the ball releases on so many of its greens. In a recent December round, my ball must have rolled at least 125 feet after hitting the green in regulation during a freakishly  :D good ball striking round. That’s a lot (!) and it speaks well of the playing conditions and of Fazio’s broad sloping greens. Some of the approach shots released well forward 8-15 feet like at the 8th and 18th well others like at the 11th, 12th and 16th zipped back or sideways ~18-25 feet each. That is fun, placement golf to me. I definitely give the nod in putting surfaces to the South Course.

Why there aren’t more courses like it in Pinehurst is a mystery though I have a suspicion. Developers might not have thought that a traditional looking course like this one had enough pizazz to sell houses. Therefore, let’s build lakes, line them with stone, place greens on top, etc. Not at Forest Creek. Indeed, I just saw another high end real estate Fazio course in Florida with some excellent putting surfaces. Yet, the work around the putting surfaces was more fussy featuring excessive land movement and scalloped out grassy areas. In short, it was unnecessarily busy to my eye. Here on the South Course, things are more streamlined, dare I say simple and traditional in appearance. I like that. The land was once used for hunting and equestrian pursuits and still exudes a certain rustic charm.

Golf Week once loved the South Course and now it doesn’t but that says more about Golf Week than the South Course as very little has changed there since it opened. A bunker was pulled back for drainage reasons and 2 trees were removed to allow people to go more often for a green – that’s it, which suggest to me that the project was well conceived from the get-go.

After we profiled the North Course in November, the need existed to update the South Course profile, which was 9 years old. In the process of wandering around and taking photos, I was freshly reminded of a) why I have always liked it and b) that it has just as many appealing holes/shots as the North Course.

Have a read and see what you think. Plenty of people reading this have played it and I am always curious to here its pros and cons, relative to the North or just on its own.

Cheers,

Jud_T

Re: Forest Creek South profile is updated ...
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2013, 05:03:38 PM »
Thanks Ran.  Interesting.  The founding members I know actually prefer the South.
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Jeff Dawson

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2013, 08:45:02 AM »
Forest Creek is imo the best private complex in Pinehurst.  If you only had the South course you could play there every day and be content.  While the style of the North may be in vogue, the South should be given equal respect.  It is rare to have a 36 hole complex with two courses of equal quality yet totally different in style.  The 8th hole on the South may be the best short hole in town.  One of my lasting memories of the South was playing the front nine with Harvie Ward.  He chipped in on one, sunk a birdie putt on two then parred in.  As we walked off the ninth green, I said to him "you finished two under."  His reply was a simple "but... who cares" with a wink.  It was his last round of golf. 

Greg Ohlendorf

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2013, 10:14:34 PM »
Ran,

In my experience, I have found almost a 50/50 split when asking guests which course they like better. I have waffled back and forth many times. The south is just a really good test of golf and the greens always make the trip around interesting. Thanks for the excellent update!

Greg

PCCraig

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2013, 12:54:01 PM »
A very nice updated write-up, Ran.

I've been fortunate enough to have played the South Course dozens of times as a guest of family friends. I find it to be a very fun golf course and one that's highly underrated among Fazio designs (along with the North Course at FC) and in Pinehurst. There are some really fantastic golf holes there, with perhaps my favorite being the very strategic 8th. In addition the course's set of par-5's are very well done, with the 3rd being the uphill battle through cross bunkers, the 7th with it's very neat greensite, and the 14th being of the interesting reachable variety. I think the 6th and 10th holes are also extremely well done par-3's.

Forest Creek is a wonderful place to play golf, and candidly it deserves far more attention than it currently receives.
H.P.S.

Brian Finn

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2013, 04:53:01 PM »
Terrific course profile (as always)...and perfect timing for me.  A friend arranged a foursome early next week, and this profile has me very excited to play the South.  In my handful of visits to Pinehurst, this is a course I always wanted to play, but never had the chance.  
New for '24: Monifieth x2, Montrose x2, Panmure, Carnoustie x3, Scotscraig, Kingsbarns, Elie, Dumbarnie, Lundin, Belvedere, The Loop x2, Forest Dunes, Arcadia Bluffs x2, Kapalua Plantation, Windsong Farm, Minikahda...

PCCraig

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2013, 08:10:56 AM »
Terrific course profile (as always)...and perfect timing for me.  A friend arranged a foursome early next week, and this profile has me very excited to play the South.  In my handful of visits to Pinehurst, this is a course I always wanted to play, but never had the chance.  

Be sure to report back your thoughts, Brian. Are you playing just the South, or both courses?
H.P.S.

Brian Finn

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2013, 09:09:07 AM »
Right now, we are only playing the South at Forest Creek.  We have a lot planned for 3 days, but still have one potential slot, so maybe I will see if my friend can arrange a round on North as well.  I will report back next week.  B. Finn
New for '24: Monifieth x2, Montrose x2, Panmure, Carnoustie x3, Scotscraig, Kingsbarns, Elie, Dumbarnie, Lundin, Belvedere, The Loop x2, Forest Dunes, Arcadia Bluffs x2, Kapalua Plantation, Windsong Farm, Minikahda...

Jud_T

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2013, 09:54:17 AM »
Don't miss playing the 19th hole....
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Brian Finn

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2013, 04:33:56 PM »

Be sure to report back your thoughts, Brian. Are you playing just the South, or both courses?

I had the pleasure of playing the South at Forest Creek earlier this week.  The club and course had such a relaxed and casual feel, from the awesome locker room and pro shop all the way through the 'hog' hole.  My favorite aspect of the course was the wonderful set of risk-reward par 5s.  The par 3s were also great...varied in length (I believe I hit 7, 5, hybrid, 9), direction, strategy, and setting, but they added a few too many strokes to my scorecard.  It was pretty quiet, so we enjoyed a few extra wagers from different tee boxes on the 19th, which was really enjoyable.  The course felt pretty natural and the homes overlooking it were set back and understated enough as not to interfere. We had a great time playing Forest Creek South and I hope to make it back again. 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back