News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bryan Izatt

Re: 235 yards carry = 325 yards drive !!!???!!!
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2013, 03:07:33 PM »
Jason,

The link works and there is data there.  Do you know what the parameters of the measurement are?  Jason Day leads the way with 12 rounds but only 6 attempts.  I'm not sure how to make sense of that.  Or, hoe to make sense of Dustin Johnson with 13 rounds and 6 attempts with the longest being 321 and the shortest being 258.  Very curious.

Greg,

The long drive guys hit it even further and they are trying to hit it far

Jason Topp

« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2013, 03:22:25 PM »
Jason,

The link works and there is data there.  Do you know what the parameters of the measurement are?  Jason Day leads the way with 12 rounds but only 6 attempts.  I'm not sure how to make sense of that.  Or, hoe to make sense of Dustin Johnson with 13 rounds and 6 attempts with the longest being 321 and the shortest being 258.  Very curious.

It works for me now too.  I sent the website an email and I suspect they fixed it.  I think they take the radar stats on holes where they have trackman set up so it is pretty sporadic set of measurements.  The short carry distance could be a shorter club or a tree.

Well anywayu - it worked once.  I think it might be the old windows version on my computer.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 03:27:04 PM by Jason Topp »

JMEvensky

« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2013, 03:29:42 PM »

What do you think the average carry distance on tour is? Not the tournament measured distances but if a guy had to hit it as far as he could what is the avaerage carry?

My guess is 285ish with 20 or so that can carry it 300+ and about the same number who would struggle to get over 270.

Pure speculation,but I like the over on your first group and the under on your second.

I'm curious to hear PB's opinion too.

Bryan Izatt

« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2013, 03:31:15 PM »
Jason,

Thanks for pointing out the stat.  I'd missed that one.

Good point on the short ones, although i would have assumed that they would eliminate ones where something less than a driver was used.  Presumably the stat is to demonstrate driver carry distance.  I'll have to look and see if they have any explanation of what and how they measure.  

I guess the long ones could also be downhill or downwind or both.

Perhaps over time the broadcasters and the tour will get more such stats from Trackman and Protracer technology on more holes so that a statistically more significant result is available.

Bryan Izatt

« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2013, 03:39:18 PM »

What do you think the average carry distance on tour is? Not the tournament measured distances but if a guy had to hit it as far as he could what is the avaerage carry?

My guess is 285ish with 20 or so that can carry it 300+ and about the same number who would struggle to get over 270.

Pure speculation,but I like the over on your first group and the under on your second.

Well, according to the stats that Jason pointed to, there are only two this year who have an average carry over 300 yards - Jason Day and Robert Garrigus.  As for those under 270 yards, there are 83 averaging under that number.  At the lowest end of the scale, in 10 attempts Tim Clark is averaging 249 with a peak of 260 and a low of 237.  Jeff, you appear to lose on both.   ;D

Carl Nichols

« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2013, 03:45:57 PM »

Well, according to the stats that Jason pointed to, there are only two this year who have an average carry over 300 yards - Jason Day and Robert Garrigus.  As for those under 270 yards, there are 83 averaging under that number.  At the lowest end of the scale, in 10 attempts Tim Clark is averaging 249 with a peak of 260 and a low of 237.  Jeff, you appear to lose on both.   ;D

Garrigus doesn't entirely surprise me -- Jason Day does.  Either way, an average carry of more than 300 yards is pretty incredible.

JMEvensky

« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2013, 03:52:41 PM »

Jeff, you appear to lose on both.   ;D

Bryan,not to go all Mucci on you,but GT didn't ask about the stats,he asked PB to opine on what if they were trying to hit it as far as they could.

Bryan Izatt

« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2013, 07:13:16 PM »
Jeff,

Sorry about that; I pulled a Mucci and reframed your over and under. Thirty lashes with a wet noodle for me for inadvertantly falling into a Mucciism.

Jason Thurman

« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2014, 03:43:24 PM »
They have the pretend Trackman out again this year! Carry distances are a little longer so far, but less rollout and total yardage. The course doesn't appear nearly as firm as it looked last year, at least on 11 which was really bounding in 2013.

It does seem like the machine glitches a bit here and there. Sang Moon Bae's tee shot basically stopped while his playing partner walked behind him with the ball in flight, so I wonder if it's easy for patrons and players to interfere with the signal.
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

Martin Toal

« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2014, 05:35:20 PM »
This evening it showed McGirt and Harman tee off on the par 5 11th. McGirt hit and the display said 261 carry, 267 total (although he clearly had more than 6 yards roll). Harman hit and the display said 272 carry and 280 total as his ball rolled up several yards behind McGirts.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2014, 06:02:13 PM »
Whatever fault one finds with their methodology, there's no doubt that the ball bounced and rolled a loooong way. From a setup perspective F&F can lead to some sick driving distances.

So in at least one way, that California drought's not so bad!   ;D

Jason Thurman

« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2014, 06:09:43 PM »
Whatever fault one finds with their methodology, there's no doubt that the ball bounced and rolled a loooong way. From a setup perspective F&F can lead to some sick driving distances.

So in at least one way, that California drought's not so bad!   ;D

Terry's post is from last year. The ball really was rolling out a mile last year. It looked firm and fast today, but not nearly on the same level as last year.
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back