News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

DMoriarty

Re: 1914 U.S. Open/Midlothian C.C. (Help)
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2014, 11:49:18 PM »
My quick read of the Behr piece David posted was that he was against the difficulty of the numerous bunkers and outright difficulty.  It almost sounds like a modern scenario to me - USGA hires well known architect, but has definite ideas of their own.

The reality was quite the opposite. Behr wasn't against the difficulty.  He viewed the course as as an outmoded pushover, a "dark ages" relic, despite the addition of the bunkers.  Same for Anderson.

It would be nice to have been a fly on the clubhouse wall to hear those discussions.  Maybe it really didn't look like typical Ross at all. 45 years later, Ross' plan to toughen Oakland Hills looked a lot like what RTJ implemented, so I figure the USGA had a lot to do with that, as well.

As someone suggested, I wonder how the tastes of the times might figure into this - were they trying to elevate the open?  Embarrass the pros to keep the amateurs looking relatively good?  The mind spins with possibilities.

I think you are reading modern scenarios into a situation where they really don't apply. The US Open had never been a big deal until right around this time, and as Greene suggests, the choice of courses had always been basically an afterthought. It wasn't like the prestigious Amateur where the best clubs took pride and honor in hosting.  But with McDermott's two wins then Ouimet's win at the CC over Vardon and Ray this all changed, and suddenly the tournament meant something.  This was the first Open after Ouimet's win and the USGA apparently put on a last minute blitz to try and get get Midlothian up to an acceptable standard for what was becoming a "major" tournament, but according to Behr, Anderson, and Greene, they fell short.

Midlothian's situation was not all that different than about every other course in the country. The Golden Age had arrived. There was a new approach to golf course design and virtually all of the courses were significantly altered to try and catch up.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 12:11:41 AM by DMoriarty »
Golf history can be quite interesting if you just let your favorite legends go and allow the truth to take you where it will.
--Tom MacWood (1958-2012)

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2014, 03:22:43 AM »
The same thing happened at Inverness six years later when it hosted the 1920 Open.  Be interesting to see if there was a record of these types of USGA suggested renos back in the early years.
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2014, 03:00:20 PM »
Donald must have been the USGA's go-to guy of his day. Here he is sprucing up Oakmont for the 1919 US Am.

6th column from left, a couple of paragraphs up from the bottom
http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lccn/sn83030193/1919-08-16/ed-1/seq-7.pdf
« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 03:02:22 PM by Jim_Kennedy »
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2014, 03:09:44 PM »
Well, he had already redone Skokie in 1915 prior to there 1922 Open, so I'm guessing he didn't need to go back.

Same for his work at Brae Burn (1912) prior to the 1919 Open.

I have 1917 for his work at Minikahda, which would have been a year after their Open.
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Joe Bausch

« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2014, 11:37:01 AM »
The same thing happened at Inverness six years later when it hosted the 1920 Open.  Be interesting to see if there was a record of these types of USGA suggested renos back in the early years.

This long URL should take you to a very nice article on the 1920 US Open at Inverness (courtesy of the Brooklyn Daily Eagle; note the download can sometimes take many seconds):

http://fultonhistory.com/Newspaper%205/Brooklyn%20NY%20Daily%20Eagle/Brooklyn%20NY%20Daily%20Eagle%201920%20Grayscale/Brooklyn%20NY%20Daily%20Eagle%201920%20Grayscale%20-%207235.pdf
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2014, 12:06:50 PM »
Pre-Ross

"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

SL_Solow

« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2014, 12:34:08 PM »
I can't add anything about the really old history. However I will note that a significant portion of the tree issue took place in the 1980's.  I remember playing Midlothian in the mid-1970's (usually in its Father Son tourney, the Pater Filius, with my Dad) and the fairways were much wider.  In the 80's. the course saw the planting of 1 or 2 rows of fast growers which removed much of the interest.  I suspect they also created a lot of the shade issues.  I have talked about this for several years to some members.  Happy to see you are working on it and I look forward to the results.  I hope you are coming to the Medinah meeting on March 1.

Stewart Naugler

« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2014, 07:44:52 PM »
Shel- Thanks and I look forward to seeing you at Medinah.

Give me a call sometime after you get back from Florida.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back