News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Thomas Dai

If golf were only played on par-3's ..... New
« on: February 25, 2013, 12:55:19 PM »

In an idle moment I thought what would golf be like if it were only played on par-3’s. Quicker I guess, and you’d probably need less clubs, a smaller bag and maybe there’d be no trolleys or carts apart from those used by folk who suffer from mobility restrictions or play in the hottest of climates.

This got me thinking a bit further, namely which par-3s that I’ve played in the UK (ex-N Ire) would, if played consecutively, make my most memorable and challenging par-3 course.

So here we go. I’ve tried for an element of variety, some quirky, some tiny, some tough, some evil and with a self imposed restriction of not having more than one hole from a single course, which meant that sometimes that the second or even third best par-3 on a certain course may have made the list rather than the best, simply due to hole-numbering competition from elsewhere.

There are obviously dozens and dozens of other memorable par-3’s around - eg 8th at Royal Troon, 12th at Royal Birkdale, but I’ve not included these as I’ve not played them (yet). Nor have I included any from overseas that I may have played.

Interestingly, certain hole numbers seem to attract par-3’s like flies to fresh dung and other hole numbers have comparatively few.

Here’s my early 2013 list -

1 Church Stretton (honourable mention Royal Lytham, Ashburnham)
2 Royal Dornoch (h-m Golspie)
3 Montrose Medal (h-m Royal Aberdeen)
4 Perranporth (h-m Royal Porthcawl & Cruden Bay)
5 Broadway (Saunton East, Murcar)
6 Ashburnham (h-m Royal Dornoch, St Olaf course at Cruden Bay)
7 Muirfield (h-m Tadmarton Heath, Beau Desert)
8 Channel Course at Burnham & Berrow (h-m Royal Aberdeen, Minchinhampton Old)
9 Golspie (h-m Blackwell)
10 Frilford Heath Green course (h-m Royal Dornoch)
11 TOC (h-m Royal Porthcawl)
12 Okehampton (h-m Tenby, Kington, Royal Lytham)
13 Whittington Heath (h-m Muirfield)
14 Enville, Highgate course (h-m RCP/Deal)
15 Cruden Bay - a much maligned and misunderstood hole IMO (h-m Sutton Coldfield)
16 Carnoustie (h-m Royal Jersey)
17 Royal Aberdeen (h-m Burnham & Berrow Championship course)
18 Brora (h-m Rolls of Monmouth)

Bit of a constraint having to specify them in order of hole number, but never mind.

My courses with the best set of par-3’s would be Muirfield, Royal Dornoch and Royal Porthcawl. Burnham and Berrow runs them very close.

What do your reckon?

All the best.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2017, 05:52:34 AM by Thomas Dai »

Rich Goodale

Re: If golf were only played on par-3's .....
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2013, 01:16:15 PM »
Great post and concept, Thomas.

One nit to pick is that if you play the 9th at Golspie (Perfection, 420 or so yards) as a par three, I want strokes when we have a game!

Sticking to the UK, I only know 1/2 or so of your list, but I think you need a few more reachable-by-humans ball-busters, such as the 5th or (14th) at Anstruther, or the 12th at Canmore, or the 6th at Painswick, or even the 10th at Dornoch or the 16th at Golspie.....

So many short hole to play and so short a life in which to play them....

Rich
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

David_Tepper

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2013, 01:44:54 PM »
Thomas D. -

As Rich G. has noted, #9 at Golspie is a wonderful par-4. You are likely thinking of the par-3 #10 at Golspie.

Don't forget #16 at Golspie is a world class par-3.

DT   

Thomas Dai

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2013, 01:58:58 PM »
Rich and David,

Spot on about 9-10 at Golspie. My apologies to all.

The true 9th at Golspie would be close, if not in, my 18 best UK par-4's though. A wonderful hole. The true 10th at Golspie is the par-3 that I meant but my little grey cells got confused - not for the first time and certainly not for the last!

The 9th at Blackwell it is then, super hole, and damn hard from the back tee over the pond. Of the holes you mention the 10th at Dornoch and 16th at Golspie are both damn good holes - BTW I hope the nice little 6th at Golspie with its tee by the beach and the highly contoured green is back in good shape after their big storm.

I've not been to Canmore. I've only heard stories of Painswick and Anstruther though. As you so beautifully put it......."So many short holes to play and so short a life in which to play them...".

All the best.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2013, 02:49:08 PM »
Good call on Broadway #5.  That is a beautiful hole, literally a cliffhanger.   I have a warm spot for Broadway, it was the first course I ever played in the UK!

Not sure about Golspie #10, I thought there were three better par 3s there. 

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2013, 03:14:43 AM »
There are par 3 courses in existence that are wothy of repeat playing, Augusta and Pine Valley come to mind. But what makes alot of par 3's unique and great are the giant change of pace and fantastic topography like the 16 at Cypress, the 7th at Pebble Beach, the 5th at Pine Valley, the 17 at the TPC.
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Pat Burke

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2013, 03:40:25 AM »

May not fit the idea of the OP, but it's late, I'm punchy, and thought I'd add

<edit>
DID not fit OP  Never post when that tired!
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 03:29:25 PM by Pat Burke »

Sean_A

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2013, 05:09:28 AM »
Tom

Very fine - here is my first go using only one hole per course and only from courses I admire.

1. Players Club: Stranahan Course - why not start the round with a jittery sand wedge to a green covered by water?  HM: West Cornwall

2.  A lot of good choices here.  I will go with Woking. HM Rye and Dornoch (I would probably choose this if not for the hideous gorse dwon the right).

3. I couldn't find a really outstanding hole so I go with a blinder; Aberdovey's Cader.

4. Loads of very good holes - could easily throw a dart and come up with a good choice.  For now, I will go with Swinley Forest.  HM Porthcawl, Cruden Bay, Brancaster, St Andews New & Whittington Heath.

5. Again, some great choices!  I think I will go with an outsider; Wallasey. HM Rye, Formby, Broadway & Sunny New.

6. Zowie, throw another dart, but in the end it has to be Painswick. HM Dornoch, Cleeve Cloud, Harborne, Brora & Blackwell.

7. Ditto to #6.  Toss a coin and the winner is Liphook. HM Addington, Huntercombe, Beau Desert, Rye, Painswick & New Zealand.

8. A sacred cow; Troon.  HM Burnham & Berrow Channel Course & Castle Course.

9. St Andrews New; HM Kington & Wallasey.

10. Castle Course; HM Knole Park, Sherwood Forest, Seascale, Painswick, Sunny New & Temple.

11. I am going to buck the crowd and go with Pennard!.  HM TOC.  

12. Kington

13. In keeping with Rihc's idea of a few ball busters deference must go to Addington.  HM Pennard, Brora, Whittington Heath, Notts & Blackwell.

14. Sunny New; HM Little Aston.

15. N Berwick.

16. Sparse pickings, but New Zealand's is a corker.  HM Wallasey & Swinley Forest.

17. Lots of good choices, but many courses are already covered.  I have to go with another postage stamp, Burnham & Berrow Channel Course.  HM Addington, Swinley Forest, Castle Course, Oxford & Littlestone.  

18. I am not really happy with Brora, but I can only think of a few choices.  

I guess looking at my choices and HMs, I think the courses with the best 3s are Rye, Swinley, Sunny New (let down by the 17th), Wallasey (big surprise), Painswick (a bit of a cheat because there are so many, but many a lot are compelling even if one doesn't care for them), Brora (big surprise) & Addington (there are six short holes though).  I think if forced to choose one course it would be Painswick.

Ciao

« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 05:31:12 AM by Sean Arble »
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield & Alnmouth,

John Ezekowitz

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2013, 01:45:25 PM »
Sean and Thomas,

No love for the 6th at West Sussex?

Thomas Dai

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2013, 03:57:36 PM »
David,

I agree that with you that the 16th at Golspie is a super hole, a lovely view from both the tee and the green as well, way across the sea to Portmahomack, another course I’d like to play sometime.  Actually, the short but wickedly greened 2nd and 6th are both fine holes as well, whilst the 17th is a tough nut. I originally included the 10th as I couldn’t really dislodge any of my other course choices on holes 2, 6, 16 and 17 but included the 10th because it is such a really lovely hole, not massively difficult but really very pleasant to play with the trees and the heather and the pond and the bunker in front and the small semi-hidden green with the steep slope to the rear all topped off by the view of Benvraggie with the Dukes’ monument on the skyline.

Golspie is such a lovely, friendly club to visit, so tranquil and serene, I do hope they recover quickly from their winter storm damage. BTW, Golspie had the best putting surfaces I played on anywhere last year, including top tier courses like the one just along the road, and Golspie apparently has only 3 staff to maintain the course.

Bill,

I’m glad you liked the choice of Broadway for my 5th par-3. Not only is it an interesting tee shot but when you get down there the green is 3-putt nightmare just waiting to happen. Broadway is a favourite of mine, especially the front-9. It always seems to be in extremely good condition with excellent putting surfaces. As to my choice of the 10th at Golspie, see my response to David above.

Cary,

Thank you for raising the profile of par-3 courses, especially at real premier locations like the ones you mention. IMO not enough clubs, assuming they have the land, have some kind of shorter length course or a genuine par-3 course, or even a huge size, heavily contoured putting green, although quite a few enlightened ones do. Good fun these kind of courses can be as well as a good starting place for beginners, juniors and folk who have limitations and cannot otherwise play much.

Pat,

What a great idea you had - such a shame that the Tournament Director didn’t do it. I agree wholeheartedly with your point about modern day Pro’s not using mid/long irons much – hitting a high flightled shot with a small headed blade long iron from a close cut fairway lie (even out of divot) was one of the great tests of a really true ball striker (not me though!) – an art gone but not forgotten, although at least not by some of us it seems.

Sean,

Great response. Wonderful photos as usual. From my quick count we agree on 11 first or honourable mention holes, although you seem to have played a lot more courses. Well done.

John,

Thanks very much for pointing out the 6th at WSGC. Sussex in not an area I know much about golfing wise but jeeeeez, this hole looks a real cracker – I went to the clubs website for look for more details. I like the way it can be played by all sorts of level of player, even very, very short hitters by simply going around to the right hand side of the water hazard. A nice touch on a par-3 – thought and subtlety rather than just bash it and hope.

All the best to you all and thanks for responding.

jeffwarne

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2013, 05:53:04 PM »
1. West Cornwall  HM Carradale (if nothing else for what unfolds at top of hill)
2.Long Cove  HM Shinny/Southampton
3.Sleepy Hollow  HM Aberdovey
4.NGLA  HM Maidstone
5.The Bridge HM Goat Hill (Two drop shots, but one's a runup over a spine to a great green)
6.Cruit Island  HM NGLA
7.Narin and Portnoo HM Shinny/Pebble Beach  
8.Maidstone  HM Long Cove
9.Goat Hill HM Piping Rock
10. Eastward Ho HM Southampton
11.Shinny HM Atlantic
12.ANGC HM  Waterville
13. Long Cove HM  Brora
14.Royal Portrush HM Augusta CC
15. Cypress Point HM North Berwick
16. Sleepy Hollow HM Cypress Point
17.Shinny  HM Waterville
18.Mahoney's Point  HM Brora (great to be on stage)
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 06:05:05 PM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Sean_A

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2013, 06:01:41 PM »
Jeff

You change everything if we can use Ireland and USA - you dirty dog.

Ciao

jeffwarne

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2013, 06:08:55 PM »
Well Sean, mine's kind've weighted towards courses I've worked at or played many times.
As you know things get a bit fuzzy for me as the round goes on.....
Amazing how long I had to think about a HM par 3 13th (I was going to steal 13 at Pennard from you, but even with a picture I still can't remember the hole, and I played it twice)
so I stole 13 at Brora, which I remember well ;)
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Sean_A

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2013, 06:41:07 PM »
Jeff

With those forced marches being de rigueur, I am surprised you remember much!  Jeez, I only spent a night with your lot and I am still in recovery. 

I actually prefer Brora's 13th - its a cool hole.  But Rihc said we need some ball busters and he lives in Scotland so he should know.  In fact, if I can use US courses I would slot in Grosse Ile's home hole - another ball buster, but I give it a pass because its the site of my only hole in one - with a driver no less.

Ciao

John Penny

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2013, 07:35:16 PM »
If the course was varying lengths, requiring the use of all clubs, is it the same test of golf?  Is it within the "spirit of the game"? 

Aside from the use of a tee, I don't see how it is not.

John

Jud_T

« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2013, 08:20:56 PM »
Here's a tired crack at it:

1. Bandon Preserve 138
2. Kingsley 161
3. Westhampton 170
4. Lawsonia 203
5. Lahinch 154
6. Pinehurst #2 212
7. Pebble 109
8. Ballybunion 153
9. Yale 235
10. Pine Valley 145
11. St. Andrews 172
12. Old Mac 235
13. Pine Needles 210
14. Shoreacres 185
15. Broadmoor 155
16. Riviera 168
17. Pac Dunes 210
18. Brora 201
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Mark Pearce

« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2013, 06:19:34 AM »
1 Huntercombe (Berkshire Blue)
2 Royal Dornoch (Berkshire Red)
3 Elie
4 Royal Liverpool
5 Pasatiempo
6 Royal St Georges
7 Hankley Common (Muirfield)
8 Royal Troon
9 Silloth on Solway
10 Berkshire Blue
11 Crail Craighead
12 Kington
13 Muirfield (Crail Balcomie)
14 Crail Balcomie
15 North Berwick (Cypress Point)
16 Cypress Point
17 Swinley Forest
18 Brora
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2013, 09:29:32 AM »
Thomas,

If I could create my dream club, including a par 3 course would be high on my list of priorities. The concept fits great at Augusta and at a resort like Bandon. Pine Valeey, though not a real par 3 course, certainly has a very interesting spin.

Would be great to play when you don't have time to play a full round on the "big course".
Tim Weiman

Jud_T

« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2013, 09:51:11 AM »
Yet another good suggestion for the new CG Gazetteer...
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Thomas Dai

« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2013, 11:05:47 AM »
They don't all have to be ball-busters, just memorable/challenging and you really ought to have played them.

My shortest holes is only 95 yds long and I've 3 others that are less than 130 yds (1st choice plus h-m's).

The second shortest hole quoted so far is Jud with the 109 yd 7th at Pebble Beach.

All the best.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back