News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ed Brzezowski

Old Corkscrew, Naples Area
« on: February 13, 2013, 10:54:41 AM »
I searched this and found that it is too hard and too expensive. Not having a great deal of common sense 8 of us are playing it next Thursday. Has anyone played it recently?? Is it a fair test?

Also playing the Colony, Tiburon, Lely Mustang and Verandaah. Looking forward to some nice weather and some good golf.

Thanks guys,
ed
We have a pool and a pond, the pond would be good for you.

Jason Topp

Re: Old Corkscrew, Naples Area
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2013, 12:11:36 PM »
I believe it is widely consdered the best public course in the area.  I played it 3 days in December, found it very difficult, in terrific condition and the demands on iron play to be very stingent. Given the alternatives, I would say play there with enthusiasm.   

Bryan Izatt

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2013, 12:13:53 PM »
Ed,

There are some old threads on OC. Do a search.  It is hard but interesting architecture.  Bring extra balls.  Jason Topp mentioned it a few weeks ago - bemoaning getting beat up IIRC. I was there a couple of weeks ago and it was good as usual.

Tiburon is not worth it imho.  Verandah is nice.  I like Flamingo better than Mustang at Lely. Bonita Bay East and TwinEagles are a cut above if you can get on via golfnow.com

Evan Fleisher

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2013, 12:51:24 PM »
Ed,

I agree with Jason's assessment...tough but worth playing.
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 12.2. Have 24 & 21 year old girls and wife of 27 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

Steve Kupfer

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2013, 12:59:26 PM »
I'll agree with the consensus that it is, unfortunately, one of the few great semi-public tracks in the Naples/FM area. Tiburon is the only other serious option in the local area. Great conditioning, good service, typical Nicklaus design. I found it to be borderline unfair in some places in terms of unplayable brush steps off the fairway. You should also be prepared for some extensive carries into the greens.

The one shot 7th, which is uphill and usually into the wind, plays 244 from the tips and roughly 220 from the blues. Just one indication of the contemporary, testosterone fueled 'club for a day' approach these days.

Bryan is right. Bring an extra sleeve and think twice when deciding which tee to play.

Ed Brzezowski

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2013, 01:32:57 PM »
Thanks for the help guys. Sounds like a flask next to the extra sleeve is in order too. I will try to get my band of idiots to play from a reasonable tee. I did notice the par threes were a handful from the blues.

Played Tiburon last year and enjoyed it , same for the Colony. I guess getting away from the cold and wet makes any course look better.

Thanks again for the help.
Ed

Andy Troeger

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2013, 02:19:18 PM »
Pretty much what the others said...Old Corkscrew is certainly tough but its also fun and worth playing. I don't think there's anything unfair, but you won't get away with bad shots very often. I think its very comparable to The Concession except that its public.

Mitch Hantman

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2013, 06:37:45 PM »
Best advice I can give you about Old Corkscrew is to play one set of tees forward of where you would normally play.  I also echo TwinEagles Eagle course - it is a terrific value.  Don't be afraid to examine the various tee options on that course as well, as it gets over 7600 yds from the tips.  Great fun, however.

Tim Martin

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2013, 08:06:48 PM »
Ed

If the wind is blowing hard, my best advice would be to lock your keys in your car and try getting them out with a coat hanger for the next 4 hours. It would be far less aggravating and, ultimately, enjoyable then trying to navigate OC.

;D ;D ;D

J_ Crisham

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2013, 08:43:38 PM »
I wouldn't play Old Corkscrew again if it was free. Yes it is in good shape but for anyone over a strong 3 or 4 you will shoot a million. I played here with one of our young asst pros and he hits the ball very well and he a tallied an 83 on a rather benign day . Didn't seem like he played poorly either . The rest of our group were between 7 and 11hndcps and we were north of 90. With so many private clubs struggling in the area pick up the phone or have your pro call- lots of nice clubs in the area that are a lot more enjoyable .

Jason Walker

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2013, 08:56:29 PM »
What David Cronan and Jack Crisham said.

Its only redeeming value is close to the airport.  Played there two weeks ago as a last round before flying home to Philly-- will not go back.  Nothing like shooting a million in Florida in February.  One guy in our group--a 15 index-- literally didn't finish his round.....just gave up.

« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 08:59:52 PM by Jason Walker »

Bryan Izatt

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2013, 10:38:35 PM »
I think that Jason, David, and Jack are going a little overboard.  It's not that hard if you play a little bit cautiously.  This is not a place to try to rip driver on every hole.  Make safe decisions off the tee and it is playable, yet challenging.  There is usually a bail out area on each hole.  For instance the 1st and 8th fairways are linked so you can miss left on each as long as you don't hit it too far.  Avoid the palmettos at all costs.

If it's any consolation, they just held the Monday qualifier for the Ace Group Classic senior tour at OC.  Winning score was 68 with the fifth and last qualifiers at 70.  So, it is possible to score (if you have tour quality ability).   ;D

Andy Troeger

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2013, 11:28:08 PM »
Its a difficult course. I've included it when talking about Jack's phase of excessive difficulty on other topics. But I think on most days you can get around--my Dad is no longer a great player but keeps it in play generally and he handled the course reasonably well. You have to go in expecting that, however.

As I said about The Concession, with Old Corkscrew you have a lot of holes taken individually that are very good, but when you put them together it becomes a little much because of the difficulty. I didn't find any of them to be unfair, but it hurts the flow when everything is a challenge.

Given the lack of great other options, I'd certainly suggest giving it a shot. I also enjoy Eastwood in Fort Myers, but they only take tee times one day in advance so with 8 it would be very difficult to get consecutive times before twilight.

Ed Brzezowski

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2013, 09:29:59 AM »
Ed

If the wind is blowing hard, my best advice would be to lock your keys in your car and try getting them out with a coat hanger for the next 4 hours. It would be far less aggravating and, ultimately, enjoyable then trying to navigate OC.

Good Lord what have I done?? Well we are all in and playing from the whites, all these comments have wetted this band of idiots taste to increase our caps for the Philly GAP matches. I have a dozen Travelers logo balls that need a new home, sounds like they may be staying at OC.

Going to the hockey game afterward, sounds like a trip to bar will be in order too.

Thanks guys,
ed

J_ Crisham

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2013, 09:36:46 AM »
I think that Jason, David, and Jack are going a little overboard.  It's not that hard if you play a little bit cautiously.  This is not a place to try to rip driver on every hole.  Make safe decisions off the tee and it is playable, yet challenging.  There is usually a bail out area on each hole.  For instance the 1st and 8th fairways are linked so you can miss left on each as long as you don't hit it too far.  Avoid the palmettos at all costs.

If it's any consolation, they just held the Monday qualifier for the Ace Group Classic senior tour at OC.  Winning score was 68 with the fifth and last qualifiers at 70.  So, it is possible to score (if you have tour quality ability).   ;D

Bryan,  To each their own- if you are from the North and havent played in 4 months Old Corkscrew is pretty daunting. Hard not to hit driver when most of the par 4s are pretty big holes that you don't want to be hitting hybrids into unless you hit them like Nicklaus , high and soft. Wouldn't do it again as there are so many more enjoyable options from Ft. Myers south on the private side that are welcoming outside play.

Bryan Izatt

« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2013, 12:14:27 PM »
Jack,

Yes, I'm from the great white North, i.e. Canada.  Yes, rust makes the course more difficult.  I had 10 rounds in before playing there, so rust was probably less of a factor this time around.  I've also played the course 10 times over the years, so I'm more comfortable knowing areas that I need to avoid.  And, yes, it is still frustrating that it's hard to post a score.  If you don't want a challenge then it's probably a bad place to go.  Sure, I'd rather play Bonita Bay E, or TwinEagles, or Verandah or River Hall.  They are nice, and challenging enough and the prices are better.  But once a year, on a golfnow hot deal I kind of like OC as a measure of whether my game is solid.

Jason Topp

« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2013, 12:19:17 PM »
With this buildup, your friends are going to be expecting Oakmont and might be disappointed by shooting a good score.

Ben Kodadek

« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2013, 02:24:29 PM »
With this buildup, your friends are going to be expecting Oakmont and might be disappointed by shooting a good score.

Do you think they would lose more balls at Oakmont than will at Old Corkscrew?

Ed Brzezowski

« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2013, 06:16:47 PM »

Do you think they would lose more balls at Oakmont than will at Old Corkscrew?
All of us have played the great courses,yes even Merion, around Philly. I will post a lost ball count  that day. This should be an experience.

Ed Brzezowski

« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2013, 07:36:29 PM »
Great point Dave.  Sun,friends,some golf and adult beverages. What could go wrong.

Jason Walker

« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2013, 08:17:10 PM »
Great point Dave.  Sun,friends,some golf and adult beverages. What could go wrong.

The wind picks up....see above.  ;)

Exactly.  Add in substantial winter rust and a bit of sideways rain, and I hope you work for Travelers as you may not have enough golf balls to finish 18 holes with your foursome.

Focus on the sun and booze.

By the way, going back down with a Philly/Boston group a week from Sunday...will you guys still be in Naples?
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 08:20:25 PM by Jason Walker »

Ed Brzezowski

« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2013, 08:52:11 PM »
Will pass you in the airport, heading back 2/26.

Robert Mercer Deruntz

« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2013, 09:25:14 PM »
They have an extreme overwatering problem.  My friend had to qualify there on Monday for the Naples senior tour event.  They played  lift, clean, and place because of mudball problems
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 10:07:29 PM by Robert Mercer Deruntz »

J_ Crisham

« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2013, 09:50:24 PM »
They have an extreme lverwatering problem.  My friend had to qualify there on Monday for the Naples senior tour event.  They played  lift clean and place because of mudball problems
Ed,  well isn't this some good news about Old Corkscrew? Now the 6400 will be playing about 7200 . Looks like no choice now but to rip drivers and accept your fate. Might want to swing by Walmart for another 18 pack of Top Flites. Leave the prov's in the car.Wish I could join in the fun but a long weekend at Yeamans sounded more palatable ! If anyone breaks par I will buy dinner at Kiefers later this summer when I head to Radnor.Wish you well,   Jack

Ed Brzezowski

« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2013, 07:55:07 AM »
Well I will post the lost ball count. We have one guy who really sprays it, the group internal bet is a dozen. Squishy golf, looking forward to it.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back