News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David_Tepper

The new issue of LINKS magazine is a must read!
« on: February 13, 2013, 08:42:01 AM »
The Winter issue of LINKS magazine arrived in yesterday's mail. It includes an article by Adam Lawrence on the state of the GCA business, a survey of 8 questions asked of 8 GCAs and a profile of Royal Cinque Ports by Noel Freeman. Well done guys!

Bill_McBride

Re: The new issue of LINKS magazine is a must read!
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2013, 08:45:06 AM »
David, is it a new profile of Deal, or a reprint of "Deal Me In" from the In My Opinion section?

I enjoyed that older profile, even more after I played the course!

David_Tepper

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2013, 08:58:15 AM »
Bill -

I would call it a new article, as the LINKS article does not go into the detail of NF's "In My Opinion" piece here.

It does not look like the contents of the new issue are up on the LINKS website just yet.

www.linksmagazine.com

DT

Eric Smith

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2013, 09:31:13 AM »
Plus Tom Dunne's excellent piece on his interning with the construction crew at Highlands Links!

I agree, a GREAT issue.

Will Lozier

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2013, 09:39:25 AM »
Does anyone know if there an iPad subscription option for LINKS?

Thanks!

Howard Riefs

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2013, 10:26:30 AM »
Does anyone know if there an iPad subscription option for LINKS?

Thanks!

Yes, there is.

http://www.linksmagazine.com/ipads/ipad-information

"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Ken Fry

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2013, 03:51:34 PM »
I found the "8 Questions for 8 Architects" very interesting.  While I wanted to read each of the responses with an open mind, the answers to questions were predictable and reaffirmed my opinion of each architect.

I'm curious to hear other impressions.

Ken

Steve Kupfer

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2013, 05:06:55 PM »
Agreed. The 'Which Is Better?' columns debating the changes at TOC was enjoyable, as was the piece on the Minimalists. Great stuff.

The short Streamsong piece was a teaser--hope they do a more extensive review at some point soon.

Joe_Tucholski

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2013, 05:27:38 PM »
I found the "8 Questions for 8 Architects" very interesting.  While I wanted to read each of the responses with an open mind, the answers to questions were predictable and reaffirmed my opinion of each architect.

I'm curious to hear other impressions.

Ken

Ken the thing that jumped out at me from this piece was Pete Dye saying he "never worked on sand."  I associate Dye with courses much better than the property but I figure some of them were sand.  Isn't Kiawah on sand, also most of the courses in Palm Desert have to be sand based right?  Also heard Long Cove was sandy.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2013, 07:37:39 PM »
Agreed. The 'Which Is Better?' columns debating the changes at TOC was enjoyable, as was the piece on the Minimalists. Great stuff.

The short Streamsong piece was a teaser--hope they do a more extensive review at some point soon.

The angle they chose to shoot 16Red isn't how I would have preferred. . .
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Gene Greco

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2013, 08:52:45 PM »
David:

Agreed. One of  best issues of Links I have ever read.
"...I don't believe it is impossible to build a modern course as good as Pine Valley.  To me, Sand Hills is just as good as Pine Valley..."    TOM DOAK  November 6th, 2010

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2013, 09:50:22 PM »
Tuco should comment.  I think he wrote the Deal piece a few years ago. 

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2013, 12:27:14 PM »
I have a subscription, but based on the ads, I don't think I'm a typical subscriber (the ads are targeted to a much higher income bracket) :)

David_Tepper

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2013, 12:58:03 PM »
"I have a subscription, but based on the ads, I don't think I'm a typical subscriber (the ads are targeted to a much higher income bracket)"

Dan H. -

Since it cost $0.05 to subscribe to LINKS, you (and I) may be closer to the profile of the "typical subscriber" than you think! ;)

DT  
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 01:03:40 PM by David_Tepper »

Noel Freeman

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2013, 10:43:56 PM »
Tuco should comment.  I think he wrote the Deal piece a few years ago.  

Deal is an easy thing for me to write about..
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 09:19:01 PM by NFreeman(Tuco Ramirez) »

Andy Ryall

« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2013, 11:02:31 PM »
Also of note is Jack Purcell's editorial in which he alludes to the difficult economic headwinds in running a print magazine and the benefits a subscription would provide for both the reader...and LINKS.   I enjoy LINKS, as it offers a more laid-back approach to the world of golf. 

I think the most recent issue is really well done.   The insight into the Bandon experience was compelling in the fact that the author took umbrage with the BD staff for charging full freight for 6 holes.   I think Bandon is the greatest golf experience in the Western Hemisphere but found it refreshing that someone took the resort to task when appropriate.

Frank Pont

« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2013, 08:46:30 AM »
I had a Links subscription for many years but gave it up when it became an advertorial magazine. Sounds like I need to seriously reconsider....

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2013, 08:47:46 AM »
It is a seriously good issue.

Frank Pont

« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2013, 12:47:52 PM »
David, are you sure its the winter issue? The one in the app doesn't show any of the subjects you mention?

Tom_Doak

« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2013, 12:46:47 AM »
Not one comment about my op-ed to not monkey with The Old Course?  I wasn't sure it had made this particular issue until I saw the magazine today.

Joe_Tucholski

« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2013, 12:53:24 AM »
Not one comment about my op-ed to not monkey with The Old Course?  I wasn't sure it had made this particular issue until I saw the magazine today.

Steve Kupfer mentioned it in post 8.

RDecker

« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2013, 04:27:13 PM »
Links has always been a really good read for me, it does contain alot of advertising but it's a necessary evil I know.  I stinks that they are down to only 4 seasonal issues a year now.  Golf doesn't really offer another publication like it and I do get sick of the same old GD articles about which pro is going to shave strokes off my game.

David Schofield

« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2013, 09:36:11 PM »
Am I the only one that thought it was a serious cop-out to list the top 100 prestigious clubs in alphabetical order? 

Ken Fry

« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2013, 10:50:13 PM »

Ken the thing that jumped out at me from this piece was Pete Dye saying he "never worked on sand."  I associate Dye with courses much better than the property but I figure some of them were sand.  Isn't Kiawah on sand, also most of the courses in Palm Desert have to be sand based right?  Also heard Long Cove was sandy.

Sorry I took a while to respond Joe.

I agree with you about Dye and sandy property.  I haven't played there but maybe someone can comment on Teeth of the Dog.  Was a good portion of that course sand based?

Ken

Dan Kelly

« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2013, 11:20:29 AM »
Having finally gotten around to reading (much of) the issue:

Not one comment about my op-ed to not monkey with The Old Course?  I wasn't sure it had made this particular issue until I saw the magazine today.

Not one comment? How about two?

(1) I quote your lede: "The appeal of the Old Course at St. Andrews is that it is so unlike any other great course. From the moguls inside the 2nd green to the paved road in play on the 17th, the Old Course is chock full of features that no golf architect would ever dream of building. Its strategies transcend the conventional wisdom of golf course design."

I had the same reaction to your first two sentences. That reaction was: "Really?" My reaction to the third: "What does *that* mean?"

Personally, I thought the appeal of the Old Course was that it was Old, that people had been playing golf there more or less forever, that every great player in history had played there, that most of the greatest players in history had won there, that it was FUN to play there, that any sort of golfer (from the scratch to the foozler) could get around and enjoy himself, that the Old Course allowed and demanded all sorts of interesting tee shots and approach shots and pitch shots and chip shots and putts, that the caddies were entertaining characters, that it was the most public of all public courses, that it was RIGHT THERE in the middle of the Old Gray Town, and, yes, that it looked unlike most of the courses that have followed it.

As for the undreamable features: I suppose you're right that no golf course architect would dream of putting a roadway into play the way it's in play at the Road Hole, or of demanding a tee shot like the tee shot on the Road Hole -- but is it really true that golf course architects wouldn't dream of building a green like the 2nd at the Old Course? If they don't dream of things like that, what in the world *do* they dream of? Isn't it owners (and maybe superintendents) who wouldn't dream of such things?

I ask you, Tom -- What are the features at the Old Course that architects wouldn't dream of?

As for sentence three: I really don't know what you mean there, and would be grateful for your elucidation.

(2) You write: "The five-time Open champion Peter Thomson described the Old Course as 'the rock on which the game of golf anchors itself.' We cannot chip away at that rock forever. It should take much more than a small committee to bring out the jackhammers."

Agree completely. Bravo.

Dan
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 11:24:57 AM by Dan Kelly »
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back