News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matt Gabellieri

Tetherow or Pumpkin Ridge?
« on: February 11, 2013, 08:34:48 AM »
I am heading to Bandon this summer. Before we meet up with our group at Bandon my dad and I are deciding if we should fly into Portland and play Pumpkin Ridge and another course in the area then drive down to Bandon. Or should we fly into Bend and play Tetherow and Pronghorn and then drive to Bandon? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

We will have an opening for two players in either Portland or Bend if anyone is interested.

C. Sturges

Re: Tetherow or Pumpkin Ridge?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2013, 09:21:37 AM »
Matt,
The drive time is about the same, 5hrs looking around at the views.  I would go to Bend, and play Tetherow and Pronghorn, or Sunriver if you want a tournament course.  The other course I always mention is Ocean Dunes, it is short and tight.  You play through some great dunes and it is a lot of fun.  The big thing is do not skip around at Bandon for any of these courses.  I have never been excited about Pumpkin, I would play Portland GC or Columbia CC, but that is me.
Have a great trip,
chris

Stephen Davis

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2013, 10:04:59 AM »
I agree with Chris. However, the title should read Pronghorn or Pumpkin. I think you will find that you will enjoy the Pronghorn courses more than Tetherow (maybe it is just me). For Bend courses I would put the two Pronghorn courses at the top with the Fazio being my preference over the Nicklaus, Crosswater, then Tetherow. I liked Tetherow, but found it to be slightly over rated for the price. That being said, I would still do the Bend courses over Pumpkin Ridge (which I actually like quite a bit). But I also agree with Chris not to spend an extra day in Bend as the Bandon courses are just that good.

Jud_T

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2013, 10:35:48 AM »
Matt,

Why not catch the puddle jumper or drive down to Bandon ASAP and get an extra round in at Old Mac or Pac Dunes with your dad before meeting up with the group?  There's certainly no need for a car once you're on property.
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Robert Chwalik

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2013, 10:56:24 AM »
Matt,

A couple of years ago I posed the same question when getting ready for my first trip to Bandon.  Overwhelming response was 'avoid Portland and Bend and get to Bandon as soon as possible'.  We went with that advice and do not regret it at all.  One or two extra rounds at any of the Bandon courses is just something special and hard to beat.

have a great time and I am sure you wont regret the extra round or two with your Dad at Bandon

Garland Bayley

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2013, 11:28:10 AM »
Matt,
The drive time is about the same, 5hrs looking around at the views.  I would go to Bend, and play Tetherow and Pronghorn, or Sunriver if you want a tournament course.  The other course I always mention is Ocean Dunes, it is short and tight.  You play through some great dunes and it is a lot of fun.  The big thing is do not skip around at Bandon for any of these courses.  I have never been excited about Pumpkin, I would play Portland GC or Columbia CC, but that is me.
Have a great trip,
chris

With Gil Hanse's recent update, from what I hear I think you want to look at playing Waverly if you go through Portland. That way with Pumpkin Ridge you can play two of Tiger's championship courses.

The only one of the courses you mention that I have played is Tetherow, and I'm not that high on it. I would rather play Juniper.

"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2013, 12:59:26 PM »
If you opt for Bend, make sure that the course you play is Pronghorn (Fazio), IMO that is the best in state not at Bandon resort. You can drive and play if coming from Portland, I don't think that is the case coming from Bend. The car trip from Bend is far superior for the views, especially if you tgake the southern route and include a sidetrip to Crater Lake,

Tim Passalacqua

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2013, 01:40:46 PM »
Matt,

Go to Tetherow, it is awesome.  I haven't played Pumpkin Ridge, but I know you won't regret Tetherow.  It would be in my Top 10 if it was an easy walk.  I have never played a course so visually stimulating...it is wild.  Every hole is very different and exciting. Speed slots, back boards, side boards, ground game...fun stuff.  Also, it is a perfect warm-up for Bandon because it has the same playing surface, wall to wall fescue.  They keep it really firm and fast and it has some of the craziest greens I have ever seen, but very manageable with their appropriate green speeds.  I thought it was a lot better than Pronghorn.  You will have a blast and they have a great replay rate.  It's an extra 20 bucks to play again that day or the following day.

Tim

Rob Rigg

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2013, 10:46:12 PM »
Suggestion 1 - Go straight to Bandon and play as much golf as you can

Suggestion 2 - If you want to play some inland golf then fly into Bend and play Tetherow a couple times. If you have extra time then consider Pronghorn or if you want to save some cash then play Juniper which is a really solid muni.

Tetherow is not an easy walk, although I have walked it a few times even during the summer, but it's a fun and unique golf experience and you can get linksy there - without having Bandon'esque wind to deal with. PH-Fazio is solid as well.

Ghost Creek is a good course - but it's fairly standard NW parkland stuff.

If you want to see trees then consider flying into Eugene and play Eugene CC in the AM and head over to Bandon asap.

John Handley

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2013, 09:05:40 AM »
I absolutely love golf in Oregon.  No matter where you go you will find quality courses and spectacular beauty.  Pronghorn is awesome and you won't find any courses in better condition.  Sunriver, Crosswater and Tetherow are good too. I think it's safe to say you wouldn't be disappointed. I am a former member at Pumpkin Ridge and that place holds a special place in my golf life.  The public side, Ghost Creek is very solid and worth a visit.  If you can get on, Witch Hollow is a fantastic test of golf but really more appreciated with several rounds.  Having been to Bandon 8 times, I'd echo the statements of many other posters.  Take the extra time and spend it at Bandon.  There would be nothing better than getting a few extra rounds in on the courses there.  A little more exposure to the nuances of those courses will help your enjoyment and your score.  Now just hope for good weather.  ;D
2024 Line Up: Spanish Oaks GC, Cal Club, Cherokee Plantation, Huntercombe, West Sussex, Hankley Common, Royal St. Georges, Sunningdale New & Old, CC of the Rockies, Royal Lytham, Royal Birkdale, Formby, Royal Liverpool, Swinley Forest, St. George's Hill, Berkshire Red, Walton Heath Old, Austin GC,

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back