News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jim_Kennedy

Re: Par-6s?
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2013, 07:04:37 PM »
I did enjoy the 750 yd. 18th at Farmstead GC in NC.  Nice bunker placement off the tee, a second that requires some thought as to where to hit the ball, and from there it's basically a modern "Cape" hole w/an interesting green/site. If I remember correctly I teed off in SC and finished up in NC.  ;D
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2013, 07:15:24 PM »
None in Oregon. The longest hole I can find is the 687 12th at Crosswater, but there is a flat space there behind the arcing cart path where it can be played at 700. I played it and couldn't quite get to the fairway.

With the shear length of the hole I have trouble imaginging a strategic hole and one that's heroic too boot would be over the top.

It would be a good design contest.

Philippe Binette

« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2013, 07:21:38 PM »
Lester George said: Wake Forest Golf Club, 1st hole, 746 yards.  Club is now defunct but just recently sold in foreclosure so it may be coming back.

no wonder the club had some financial problem... nobody did ever finished the first hole !!!

Carl Johnson

« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2013, 07:41:48 PM »
17th hole at Black Mountain near Asheville, NC. The front nine is a nice Ross, the back is one of the worst nines I've ever played, BUT I do like the 17th. It works as a transition hole from forest through a valley and break in the trees to a meadow. The green is tucked around a hill and is reachable in 3 good shots. The scorecard says 747 yds but I have my doubts.

I've played this hole several times.  (Actually parred it the first time, with one putt.)  If you use the Google Maps distance calculator and mark through the center of the fairway (it's somewhat of a dogleg to the right), it could be 747.  My difficulty is determining exactly where the teeing ground is on the Google Map.  I can get anything from 775 to 725, depending on my assumption regarding where the tee is.

The Ross attribution for the front is debatable.  Brad Klein does not list this course as a [part] Ross in his Discovering Donald Ross.  On the other hand, the course (a muni) does have a "Ross Drive" address!  The Lake Lure (N.C.) muni is another N.C. course with a debatable Ross heritage claim.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 07:44:21 PM by Carl Johnson »

Ron Csigo

« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2013, 08:09:24 PM »
Apple Mountain in Belvidere, NJ has a par-6 hole.

Here is a description taken from their website:

The signature hole is the 17th, a par six, 650 yards from the blue tees, a downhill dogleg plays down the mountain and offers an exciting tee shot, but you must stay away from the woods on the right. You will get roll but you must be accurate to avoid the large tree right at the dogleg. It was once the site of the ski slope and was listed as "one of the 18 most perfect holes in New Jersey" – N.J. Monthly Magazine.
Playing and Admiring the Great Golf Courses of the World.

Jeb Bearer

« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2013, 08:13:44 PM »
Apple Mountain in Belvidere, NJ has a par-6 hole.

Here is a description taken from their website:

The signature hole is the 17th, a par six, 650 yards from the blue tees, a downhill dogleg plays down the mountain and offers an exciting tee shot, but you must stay away from the woods on the right. You will get roll but you must be accurate to avoid the large tree right at the dogleg. It was once the site of the ski slope and was listed as "one of the 18 most perfect holes in New Jersey" – N.J. Monthly Magazine.

??? Did I read that right? They built a golf hole on a ski slope? And it's top 18 in NJ, of all places?

astavrides

Re: Par-6s? New
« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2013, 09:14:31 PM »
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 11:52:24 PM by astavrides »

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2013, 09:37:21 PM »
Wake Forest Golf Club, 1st hole, 746 yards.  Club is now defunct but just recently sold in foreclosure so it may be coming back.

Lester

Wow!  That would be great.

That hole is not only 746 yds., but the last 200+ are uphill AND there is a creek involved.
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2013, 09:39:42 PM »
Farmstead Golf Links by Willard Byrd in North Myrtle, SC.  From its website:

Straddling the North Carolina - South Carolina border, Farmstead Golf Links is truly a cut above the typical Grand Strand course. Its most distinguishing feature is the mammoth 767 yard, 18th hole, a par 6 that begins in South Carolina and ends in North Carolina.

And it IS mammoth.  Plays around water some of the way; you have to hit 4 good full shots to get there in "regulation".
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2013, 10:20:29 PM »
I thought that the International, in Bolton, MA had an 800+ yard par 6.

Pine Tree's 16th at 670 is a par 5 and a long one at that, especially into the wind, but, the 5th hole, 620 may be more difficult due to the narrowness and wind direction.

Steve Okula

« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2013, 02:58:54 PM »
Suppose some bomber holed out a second shot on a par 6. What would that be, then? A triple eagle/double albatross?
The small wheel turns by the fire and rod,
the big wheel turns by the grace of God.

Carr Harris

« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2013, 03:10:00 PM »
Suppose some bomber holed out a second shot on a par 6. What would that be, then? A triple eagle/double albatross?

Steve,

According to Wikipedia (the foremost expert on EVERYTHING) ;)  a four under score on a hole is called a Condor

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Par_(score)

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2013, 05:41:22 PM »

Suppose some bomber holed out a second shot on a par 6. What would that be, then?

Unbelievable..................unless he had witnesses ;D

Evan Fleisher

« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2013, 06:04:41 PM »
The 7th hole at Black Diamond in Millersburg OH is a par 6 of about 680 yds. (It says 650 on the website but I believe there is a tee further back)

http://www.blackdiamondgolfcourse.com/course/hole-7

A few years ago, with a strong tailwind, I was able to reach it in two and I narrowly missed my putt for "double eagle"  :)

Carr,

That course is owned by some of my "in-law" family...and it is also the only one I know of or have played.
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 12.2. Have 24 & 21 year old girls and wife of 27 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

Stewart Abramson

« Reply #39 on: February 12, 2013, 09:04:33 PM »
Farmstead Golf Links by Willard Byrd in North Myrtle, SC.  From its website:

Straddling the North Carolina - South Carolina border, Farmstead Golf Links is truly a cut above the typical Grand Strand course. Its most distinguishing feature is the mammoth 767 yard, 18th hole, a par 6 that begins in South Carolina and ends in North Carolina.

And it IS mammoth.  Plays around water some of the way; you have to hit 4 good full shots to get there in "regulation".

Farmstead #18 par 6 two shots and still a mile out by tewiespix, on Flickr

Farmstead #18 from second shot landing area by tewiespix, on Flickr

Farmstead #18 Pitch (4th shot) to green by tewiespix, on Flickr

Farmstead Doug & Ian on 18th tee Par SIX by tewiespix, on Flickr
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 09:06:12 PM by Stewart Abramson »

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #40 on: February 13, 2013, 05:21:10 AM »
YIKES

Somebody, anybody, steal that lower sign !

Sean_A

« Reply #41 on: February 13, 2013, 05:40:13 AM »
I can barely get interested in most 550 yard holes.  Why on earth would I want to play a 700 yarder of any par?  Archies need to take baby steps and perfect what they think they know before venturing into the realm of the 6.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield & Alnmouth,

Rich Goodale

« Reply #42 on: February 13, 2013, 08:06:02 AM »
Royal Dornoch has the world's greatest "par" 6, which is the 7th hole if you just ignore the current 7th green and current 8th tee.  If played from the ladies 7th tee it is an awesome "par" 5.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 08:11:35 AM by Rich Goodale »
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Jay Flemma

« Reply #43 on: February 13, 2013, 04:44:20 PM »
None in Oregon. The longest hole I can find is the 687 12th at Crosswater, but there is a flat space there behind the arcing cart path where it can be played at 700. I played it and couldn't quite get to the fairway.

With the shear length of the hole I have trouble imaginging a strategic hole and one that's heroic too boot would be over the top.

It would be a good design contest.

What about one that was an S-shape with a diagonal carry off the tee and another diagonal carry to the green on the approach, just in the other direction (draw off the tee, fade into the green, and maybe an big version of the Elysian fields behind it, just peppered with little pot bunkers?  Can anyone else think about how to design a good par-6?

Maybe this would be a good test for the Armchair Architects contest:)
Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

Jay Flemma

« Reply #44 on: February 14, 2013, 09:26:33 AM »
Paging Tom Doak! Paging Tom Doak! There is a uniformed dwarf in the Polo Lounge carrying a white courtesy phone and saying, "this must be the call you've been waiting for all this time."  ;D
Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

Philip Spogard

« Reply #45 on: February 14, 2013, 09:39:53 AM »
We just finished work on an extensive 2 year renovation of the New Course at Himmerland Golf Club in Denmark. They had/have a par 6 (now hole 11) which they were keen to keep. It is a relatively challenging type of hole to design, as the length alone exhibits the difference among golfers in terms of carry/length. For some it is easily reached in 3, while other will struggle to be on the green with 5 or 6 good shots. A lot of golfers will feel it creates a lot of 'transportation-type' golf shots, which are generally not as interesting to play. I believe these are the main reasons why we don't see more par 6 holes around. It measures approx. 610m (680yds) into the prevailing wind.

As Tom Doak mentions, it does connect hole 10 and 12 better than having a par 5. The club is trying to bring the European Tour back to Denmark for the first time in more than 10 years - but we have advised them to play it as a par 5 (perhaps from a slightly forward tee).

I personally found it a bit gimmicky in the beginning, but it has grown on me during the project, and it is actually a very different and fun golfing experience that (if designed properly) creates a challenging and memorable golf hole.

Will Lozier

« Reply #46 on: February 14, 2013, 12:22:04 PM »
The 7th hole at Black Diamond in Millersburg OH is a par 6 of about 680 yds. (It says 650 on the website but I believe there is a tee further back)

http://www.blackdiamondgolfcourse.com/course/hole-7

A few years ago, with a strong tailwind, I was able to reach it in two and I narrowly missed my putt for "double eagle"  :)

Carr,

A fun course is Black Diamond...I had one of my TWO Bachelor Parties there.  They rent out the house on property and about 10 of us went out and played in some pretty cool and wet weather but had a great time. 

Cheers

Wade Schueneman

« Reply #47 on: February 15, 2013, 08:31:08 PM »
Didn't The Machrie used to have a par 6 (or two) and a famous par 7 with a perched and isolated green by the sea?

Tom_Doak

« Reply #48 on: February 15, 2013, 08:39:28 PM »
Didn't The Machrie used to have a par 6 (or two) and a famous par 7 with a perched and isolated green by the sea?

You must be referring to the "Mount Zion" green.  I thought it was only a par-5, but the green was reputedly so severe that there must have been a lot of 7's posted there.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #49 on: February 15, 2013, 08:41:58 PM »

Farmstead Doug & Ian on 18th tee Par SIX by tewiespix, on Flickr

You could order a souffle there, and it would be ready by the time you finished the hole.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back