News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Sweeney

Re: Streamsong knocks it out of the Ballpark!
« Reply #150 on: February 18, 2013, 08:48:20 PM »
  • Royal Oaks is the better course on WW property.
This one has to be Kyle.  It's one of the things we agree on.

2 down (including my wife) and 7 to go !  :D

Thankfully The Black Hand does not post here anymore!

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #151 on: February 18, 2013, 09:35:46 PM »
•You waaaaay over-rate WWPB

Could only be Matt Ward  ;D
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #152 on: February 18, 2013, 09:38:18 PM »
•You waaaaay over-rate WWPB

Could only be Matt Ward  ;D

Ward imitator, but not the real Matt Ward.

Time for bed !

Bryan Izatt

« Reply #153 on: February 18, 2013, 09:58:27 PM »

You should really get out on RO, it's not quite PB, but it is interesting in its own right.  Totally different style with more adventurous greens.

I don't need or want the luxury off course experience. 

Bryan,

Let's be honest, you OBVIOUSLY like the "off-course" experience as WW has the greatest practice facility in Florida. Not even Pat Mucci can debate that!

Are you bullying me about my intellectual dishonesty?   ;D  Of course I like the off course experience at WW, it's cheap and cheerful not expensive and haughty.  What's not to like.  Surprisingly I have never availed myself of the practice facilities.  I have played a few matches on the main putting green though.

Are you really waving a red flag in front of the Mucci bull.  You know he could debate any side of any topic - and ad nauseum at that.

David Kelly

« Reply #154 on: February 19, 2013, 07:32:26 PM »
Today on the 8th tee at Streamsong Blue I paid $14.00 for two Gatorades and two cheese & crackers.
"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #155 on: February 19, 2013, 10:44:38 PM »
Hopefully they had the flavor you wanted.  ;D

I guess if you eat the crackers slow enough.............  ;)

« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 10:49:48 PM by Jim_Kennedy »

David Harshbarger

« Reply #156 on: February 19, 2013, 10:49:38 PM »
Tonight, reading this thread, the trance broke.  

Planning a family trip to Orlando I was fixated on getting away to Streamsong, Red or Blue.

Now, $12 hot dogs make me think WW might be a better visit with the kids...cost effective, great courses, what's not to like?

Thanks, Jim!
The trouble with modern equipment and distance—and I don't see anyone pointing this out—is that it robs from the player's experience. - Mickey Wright

Greg Tallman

« Reply #157 on: February 21, 2013, 01:12:51 PM »

One thing I can assure you of, without need for debate, is that Royal Oaks is not the best golf course at World Woods.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #158 on: February 21, 2013, 05:35:56 PM »

One thing I can assure you of, without need for debate, is that Royal Oaks is not the best golf course at World Woods.

But could Rolling Oaks?!
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Greg Tallman

« Reply #159 on: February 21, 2013, 07:24:21 PM »

But could Rolling Oaks?!

That is a matter of opinion. I would not agree though Rolling Oaks is a pretty good golf course.

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #160 on: February 23, 2013, 09:56:09 AM »
UPDATED LIST

The off-site comments are always the best here at GCA.com:

• "My recent Mountain Lake visit for one night was about 60% of the over night cost at The Song including caddies based on my memory.
  • We had 32 inches of snow last week, I'm ready for some FL Sun!
  • You waaaaay over-rate WWPB
  • Red 9, Blue 1
  • I thought that dog looked delicious
  • I am officially not playing there now
  • Disney Rules!
  • We played the Red for the first time yesterday and really enjoyed it
  • The Red Course blew me away.  Could be as good as Friars Head.
  • I loved it (The Red) as well.  With the exception of #10 and possibly #1, I like or love all of the holes.  Can’t wait until Mike pipes in to tell you that you are wrong!

PS. To be fair, my wife said "Disney Rules", but the rest are current or former posters.

John_Cullum

« Reply #161 on: February 23, 2013, 10:21:33 AM »
Today on the 8th tee at Streamsong Blue I paid $14.00 for two Gatorades and two cheese & crackers.

I guess you really needed the nourishment after hiking from 7 green
"We finally beat Medicare. "

John Kirk

« Reply #162 on: February 23, 2013, 11:13:30 AM »
It is a large, good looking hot dog, I don't think anyone can dispute that.  Personally, I would like a little more slaw on the side.

It seems to me most fancy newer clubs trying to recoup development costs will charge $10-15 for a lunch sandwich and a side salad.  It just comes with the territory.

jeffwarne

« Reply #163 on: February 23, 2013, 01:12:16 PM »

But could Rolling Oaks?!

That is a matter of opinion. I would not agree though Rolling Oaks is a pretty good golf course.

I really enjoy Rolling Oaks, but the hot dog price between rounds is the real attraction ;)
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #164 on: February 23, 2013, 07:09:20 PM »

I guess you really needed the nourishment after hiking from 7 green

;D  ;D  ;D  ;D
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #165 on: February 23, 2013, 08:07:59 PM »

Chip Gaskins

« Reply #166 on: February 23, 2013, 10:30:29 PM »
Just got back from Streamsong to balmy Washington DC ....38 degrees, grey, rain, sleet, ugh.  After leaving 88 degrees and sunny the past two days in central Florida (Mountain Lake and Streamsong) there is no doubt this resort will work.  Luckily the the east coast crowd now has a great great option every cold winter to get away for a weekend or two for some great firm and fast golf.  Cheap Southwest flights to Tampa or Orlando.

I am bullish on their model, especially in the winter.  The staff and facilities are first first class.  The clubhouse is really cool and if the hotel is nearly as cool it will be off the charts good.  The clubhouse feels very Aussie-functional (not sure that is a architectural category, but so be it)...clean lines, warm sitting areas, just a cool place for a beer.

We had perfect weather....hot and windy and had two of the best caddies there (or anywhere) with Doc and Rich..both from Bandon and low handicap golfers.  Two great, but very different golf courses.  Two very different pieces of land to start with, or at least the end results feel like the raw material was quite different.  All in all, very very good stuff here..this place will be an annual February trip for me no doubt.

Howard Riefs

« Reply #167 on: April 12, 2013, 03:56:06 PM »
Congrats to the GCA Hot Dog brigade. Based on a conversation I had yesterday with the general manager at Streamsong, I learned that .....

The $12 hot dog is off the menu.  It's been replaced by a Chicago hot dog priced at $8. 

Our next mission: Get Streamsong to serve the hot dog without ketchup.
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #168 on: April 12, 2013, 07:10:23 PM »
Hah!

I feel kinda bad, I'm going to send them $4.00.  ;D

Tom_Doak

« Reply #169 on: April 12, 2013, 09:34:35 PM »
And to think, only a week ago Mac was wondering aloud what sort of impact Golf Club Atlas could have on the business!

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #170 on: September 02, 2013, 04:34:44 PM »
And to think, only a week ago Mac was wondering aloud what sort of impact Golf Club Atlas could have on the business!

With the concept of being constructive, I add the following after today's round on The Blue:

1. The greens were in perfect shape as was the course. They have had a few cave ins in sandy areas after some strong summer rains but I would not have noticed if they were not pointed out to me where they were rebuilt.

2. The $8.00 hot dogs are still on the menu, and the $12 dogs are nowhere to be found.  :D

3. The bag/range/checkin/checkout logistics are still a "work in process". Moving forward, I will personally go straight to the practice range and avoid checking in until after the range. Somebody at Streamsong really needs to focus on this as it has been three trips of awkward logistics around the clubhouse. Again, trying to be constructive, but when the wife is texting you back at Disney and your partners bag is lost for 20 minutes after the round, it leaves a bad taste. I know I am not alone in this view as many friends here and elsewhere have expressed similar views.

4. We were on 18 when the thunderstorms hit, but they really need to build a few shelters out on the courses, for safety imo.

5. Caddy rates - I am a former caddy, so I say this with respect, can we simply publish simple caddy rates? I know they are here (http://www.streamsongresort.com/best-florida-golf/caddie-services), but a simple rate card on the first tee would solve having to find the caddie master after a round. As there are a variety of caddy options (carrying, forcaddie, walker was in our group....), a rate card would clarify things.

6. Pin Sheets - Please provide the caddies with a pin sheet for the day. If there is an incentive to use a caddy, it would be this local knowledge. The greens on The Blue are challenging and while my game calls for center of the green 90% of the time, it would be nice to know the pin position regardless.

7. Hotel - Looks like a bigger version of the clubhouse from the course. It blends in nicely and we were told the hotel opens January 17th.

8. Crowds and Pace of Play - No issues on pace of play and it was relatively crowded in comparison to Bella Colina which had maybe 20 people on the course yesterday. I remained concerned about "The Vibe" of the place when the hotel opens.

The course played fairly firm, the greens were perfect, just need to work on the clubhouse logistics. It will be harder when there are bags going to and from the hotel, so I hope they listen.

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #171 on: September 02, 2013, 06:49:39 PM »
Mike,

Sorry if you already explained, but what is your concern about the "vibe"?
Tim Weiman

Cliff Hamm

« Reply #172 on: September 02, 2013, 07:09:21 PM »
Mike...excellent list.  The logistics with the clubhouse/driving range is a horror show.  I ended up walking back with my clubs as the shuttle bus or cart was a no show....My other major complaint is that forecaddie with a cart should not be required.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #173 on: September 02, 2013, 08:47:52 PM »
Congrats to the GCA Hot Dog brigade. Based on a conversation I had yesterday with the general manager at Streamsong, I learned that .....

The $12 hot dog is off the menu.  It's been replaced by a Chicago hot dog priced at $8. 

Our next mission: Get Streamsong to serve the hot dog without ketchup.

Isn't ketchup optional?

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #174 on: September 02, 2013, 09:28:23 PM »
Mike,

Sorry if you already explained, but what is your concern about the "vibe"?

Tim,

I sit in the middle of Disneyworld with tens of thousands of other guest. It is not perfect, but they do a great job of creating an individual experience for every family. If Disney can get my bag from my Disney hotel back to baggage claim at JFK without seeing it or touching it, surely Streamsong can figure out the clubhouse logistics...

I have made three trips to Streamsong and my nitpicks are relatively small, but they post this on their website:

Welcome to Streamsong, a new kind of resort that takes the everyday ordinary to the absolutely extraordinary. A resort where golf is both a quest for perfection and an art form. A retreat that is the ultimate escape for relaxation, enrichment and rejuvenation. A place where the surrounding ecosystems are as deeply valued as the time you’ll spend with us.

It is a loooooong way from Disney service. Again, I am trying to be constructive because the golf courses are great.

To date, "The Vibe" for me at Streamsong has consisted of fairly empty golf courses. What happens to Dooks (Tim's Utopia in Ireland) when you add a 230 rooms next to the golf course? The Vibe changes.

Hopefully Streamsong can create a balance. One thing for sure, that Greens staff at Streamsong is fabulous....

« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 09:34:51 PM by Mike Sweeney »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back