News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark_Rowlinson

Good golf within easy reach of Calais, France
« on: February 24, 2013, 02:02:02 PM »
My wife and I may be able to get away for a few days (three nights) in late May. We would like to take the car on the ferry, put in the golf clubs and play some decent golf courses without the haughtiness of the better Paris clubs. Le Touquet and Hardelot come to mind. We could, of course, turn left on landing and return to some Belgian beauties. But if we kept it to Nord/Pas de Calais where else should we consider?

Tom_Doak

Re: Good golf within easy reach of Calais, France
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2013, 02:10:12 PM »
Mark:

A friend of mine strongly recommended a links course called Granville, which is on the coast, but I don't know how far south / west it is from Calais.

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2013, 02:19:34 PM »
Granville is at the base of the Cotentin peninsula, near Mont St Michel, at least four hours drive from Calais.

St Omer is okay, but I wouldn't pass up a round at Le Touquet or Hardelot to play there.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2013, 02:26:56 PM »
Tom, Thanks for the suggestion of Granville, but, as Adam says, it is a little too far from Calais - we'll probably stay in Montreuil sur Mer. This time I'll try to limit the driving to the golf ball rather than the car. Usually we ignore Nord/Pas de Calais as we hurtle through it trying to get to La Rochelle or Lyon in the day. We miss so much. Anyone know anything about Wimereux?

Scott Warren

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2013, 03:41:01 PM »
Hardelot (Les Pins) and Le Touquet (La Mer) are both wonderful and not far from Boulogne.

You can get the ferry direct to Boulogne rather than going via Calais, but even driving from Calais, it isn't far.

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2013, 03:45:04 PM »
There's no ferry service to Boulogne any more - was withdrawn a couple of years ago.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Greg Gilson

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2013, 08:47:15 PM »
Hardelot (Les Pins) and Le Touquet (La Mer) are both wonderful and not far from Boulogne.

Can't argue with this assessment. We played both (as well as La Foret) last July & thought they were great! Stayed at Westminster Hotel in Le Touquet which is also highly recomended.

Scott Warren

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2013, 01:40:10 AM »
Adam - thanks for the update. In that case it's the drive from Calais - which is still only 40-50mins.

Frank Pont

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2013, 08:08:38 AM »
Mark,

Go play Le Touquet La Mer (Colt), La Foret (Hutchinson) and Hardelot Les Pins (Simpson).
Stay at Westminster (chique and great food) or Le Manoir (very Brittish with a real pub in the hotel)
Patrice Boissonnas who also posts on this forum can get you set up.

The two other courses I would play in the area are Belle Dune, an interesting French designed dunes course just south of Touquet, and Wimereux (Campbell/Hutchinson)  an understated old links course just north of Boulogne.

Granville (Colt)  is too far away, and is not as nice as it used to be since the French put a road right through it and the father of DrH redesigned some of the holes to accomodate it. In recent times our fellow GCA'er Stuart Hllett has been renovating the bunkers to sod faced bunkers.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back