News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Richard Choi

Re: John "Tiger" Bernhardt - RIP 2/8/2013
« Reply #50 on: February 08, 2013, 05:36:27 PM »
Terrible, terrible news. Tiger was definitely one of the few in the Treehouse I always wanted to meet in person. His giant personality will be sorely missed...

K. Krahenbuhl

« Reply #51 on: February 08, 2013, 05:53:23 PM »
I will miss spending time with John at Champions and Champions will miss John.  RIP buddy.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #52 on: February 08, 2013, 05:59:42 PM »
Deep in Blake, there is something, something...

Tyger! Tyger! burning bright
In the forests of the night,
What immortal hand or eye
Could frame thy fearful symmetry?

In what distant deeps or skies
Burnt the fire of thine eyes?
On what wings dare he aspire?
What the hand dare sieze the fire?

And what shoulder, & what art.
Could twist the sinews of thy heart?
And when thy heart began to beat,
What dread hand? & what dread feet?

What the hammer? what the chain?
In what furnace was thy brain?
What the anvil? what dread grasp
Dare its deadly terrors clasp?

When the stars threw down their spears,
And watered heaven with their tears,
Did he smile his work to see?
Did he who made the Lamb make thee?

Tyger! Tyger! burning bright
In the forests of the night,
What immortal hand or eye
Dare frame thy fearful symmetry?
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

ANTHONYPIOPPI

« Reply #53 on: February 08, 2013, 06:03:34 PM »
My condolences to Tiger's family and to his many, many friends.

Anthony

Kevin_D

« Reply #54 on: February 08, 2013, 06:13:58 PM »
I am new here, but am quite touched by what deep connections have been made between people here - from debate and discussion about golf course architecture, to rounds played and other ways of meeting up, to true friendships.  It's obvious that the deep caring for Tiger of people here is strong and genuine, and it strikes me how the game of golf brings people together in a way that few other things can.

I didnt know him, but I give my deepest condolences to Tiger's family and friends.

Kevin

Paul Gray

« Reply #55 on: February 08, 2013, 06:18:40 PM »
To his many friends here and loving family I can only offer my deepest sympathies.
In the places where golf cuts through pretension and elitism, it thrives and will continue to thrive because the simple virtues of the game and its attendant culture are allowed to be most apparent. - Tim Gavrich

Billsteele

« Reply #56 on: February 08, 2013, 06:27:41 PM »
I met Tiger at Yale on the day before a charity outing at the Creek which benefitted Dustin Sweeney's school. The next day I had the pleasure of playing with Tiger and Bill McBride. What a terrific day. I had occasionally corresponded with John since then and was impressed with his spirit and sense of humor (not necessarily his purple golf bag).

In a week in which too much time has been spent on the subject of cyber-bullying on GCA, Tiger exhibited qualities that sometimes seem in short supply here: grace and charm.

RIP. Geaux Tiger!

Mark Pritchett

« Reply #57 on: February 08, 2013, 06:29:24 PM »
The Bernhardt's are in my thoughts and prayers.  

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #58 on: February 08, 2013, 06:39:32 PM »
A Corona will be raised in Stillwater tonight in Tiger's honor.
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

Ed Oden

« Reply #59 on: February 08, 2013, 07:03:12 PM »
So sad.  God speed to Tiger and condolences to his loved ones.

JWL

« Reply #60 on: February 08, 2013, 07:40:04 PM »
May God richly bless the Bernhardt family ....RIP my fellow Tiger.

Mike Erdmann

« Reply #61 on: February 08, 2013, 08:43:01 PM »
Many of us feared this day was coming soon, but it doesn't make it any easier to hear the news.  I will always carry wonderful memories of John.  Spending a weekend at Mountain Lake with him, joining him for a home game in Baton Rouge as hated arch-rival Alabama played his beloved LSU Tigers, sitting on the cliff-edge of the 16th green at Bandon Dunes in the pitch dark with drinks in hand watching July 4th fireworks set off down the coast from the Bandon jetty, weekly texts back and forth during college football season as he would follow my Oregon State Beavers and I his LSU Tigers.  He will be missed tremendously, but never forgotten.  RIP my friend.

paul cowley

« Reply #62 on: February 08, 2013, 09:00:24 PM »
John...you have once again reminded me not to squander time with those you know and those you never will...RIP John of the hardly knew you.
paul cowley...golf course architect/asgca

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #63 on: February 08, 2013, 09:27:46 PM »
I pray God's blessings on his family and that they find peace and comfort during this time.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #64 on: February 08, 2013, 09:45:43 PM »
Oh, I didn't know John went to Neville. We got by them in 1981 on our way to the state championship game. After that year they went on a tear,  making the finals three straight years and winning twice. A real power in the state.

I wish I had met him. I really enjoyed his "frank commentary" -- that's what we're about, right? -- regarding the European Club and the brouhaha that followed. Not sure he saw it the same way!

Down the stretch I followed his battle via Caring Bridge. I was awed and inspired by that. I hope I can summon the same will, courage and intrinsic optimism if I ever am faced with his fate. His relationship with his daughter gave me more than a few moments of reflection as a parent: a gift.

Safe passage, John, and my love and prayers to your daughter, family and friends.

Charlotte. Daniel. Olivia. Josephine. Ana. Dylan. Madeleine. Catherine. Chase. Jesse. James. Grace. Emilie. Jack. Noah. Caroline. Jessica. Benjamin. Avielle. Allison.

Pete Buczkowski

« Reply #65 on: February 08, 2013, 09:57:34 PM »
Dammit. John so clearly loved life and treated everyone well no matter their social standing or political views. The gold standard IMO.

John Mayhugh

« Reply #66 on: February 08, 2013, 11:27:08 PM »
I only played two courses with John, and was pretty fortunate with the venues. I was really grateful for his good humor with being stuck with me as a foursomes partner at Sandwich. As for the first time we played together, this manages to bring a smile on a sad day.

Sam Morrow

« Reply #67 on: February 08, 2013, 11:44:35 PM »
I haven't been on the site all day and just checked and saw this news. There is a lump in my throat and an empty feeling in me right now. John showed such strength and was so positive through all this, I think we all knew the extent of things but you never quite realize until now when you get this finality. God Bless a wonderful man.

Have funeral plans been announced yet?

Mike Benham

« Reply #68 on: February 09, 2013, 12:02:51 AM »
A fine gentlemen, I feel honored to have shared some stories, some libations and some golf with John.

He was a tiger through and through but I never let him forget that I have photos of him wearing the colors of the Crimson Tide.

"... and I liked the guy ..."

Bruce Katona

« Reply #69 on: February 09, 2013, 12:10:09 AM »
Ah Poop,  Followed Tiger here for years. He &  I agreed on many more things than not. If we didn't agree we just agreed to disagree. His daughter is a special person for teaming up with him in his last fight. In honor of Tiger : Geaux LSU,

Dave McCollum

« Reply #70 on: February 09, 2013, 12:39:21 AM »
I don’t really have the time to read the tributes.  My loss.  Like most on here, we lost a friend, somebody we read and felt a connection to, however disconnected from reality, in the Internet world.  An authentic voice.  I didn’t always agree, but I respected his passion, his opinion, and his right to care about something.  RIP, my imagined friend, may your legacy servive

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #71 on: February 09, 2013, 02:34:32 AM »
A sad day indeed, John I too remember the day at RStG.
Cave Nil Vino

Matthew Mollica

« Reply #72 on: February 09, 2013, 04:03:54 AM »
I too unfortunately never enjoyed the privilege of meeting John. I wish I had.

I am glad he saw an outpouring of emotion, and a sense of the love his GCA contemporaries hold for him, during a thread commenced during a downturn in his health last year. All too often, these sentiments are conveyed when it is too late.

Mr Huntley, again, please thank Katie for her words, and thank you for posting them here.

Thoughts to all John's family and friends.

Matthew
"The truth about golf courses has a slightly different expression for every golfer. Which of them, one might ask, is without the most definitive convictions concerning the merits or deficiencies of the links he plays over? Freedom of criticism is one of the last privileges he is likely to forgo."

Brett_Morrissy

« Reply #73 on: February 09, 2013, 04:10:30 AM »
My sincere condolences to Katie and to John's Family and also to so many of his friends who are our fellow GCA'ers - he will be sorely missed, and am thankful that the suffering for Tiger is at an end, a sad day.
RIP Tiger
Brett
@theflatsticker

Bill Gayne

« Reply #74 on: February 09, 2013, 05:31:43 AM »
It's time to cure and eradicate cancer. I don't know the nature of John's cancer but so many cancers can be reduced or eliminated through lifestyle changes, screening, and prevention. Other cancers have the same potential through continued research. Do what you can to support cancer research and cancer screening. Early detection through screening is critical to treating many forms of cancer.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back