News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Schott

It's been a long time since I played it and the name gives it away but Thousand Oaks in Grand Rapids, MI has many if not all its holes in isolation.  It's a pretty Rees Jones track.

Matthew Petersen

TPC Scottsdale is very close, due to the stadium mounding created. The holes are actually quite compact, but you wouldn't klnow it when playing them. It's really only the last 3-4 holes that open up.

jeffwarne

It's been a long time since I played it and the name gives it away but Thousand Oaks in Grand Rapids, MI has many if not all its holes in isolation.  It's a pretty Rees Jones track.

Perhaps they should change the name to Dozen Oaks
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Gib_Papazian

My recollection is that Swinley had a real feeling of isolation - although I'm not sure what the golf course looked like 80 years ago in terms of foliage.

Sam is correct I think. The only layout I'm aware of that deliberately set out to separate each hole was Shadow Creek.

Fazio engineered what feels like a series of culverts; this repetition draws particular attention to itself because after putting out there always seems to be an uphill trudge to the carts.

Shadow Creek may occupy its own category as it unfolds more like 18 separate presentations, much like one of the original Disney rides in Fantasyland. The little car takes you into a "room," the door shuts behind you and Fazio puts a new visual (with no peripheral distractions) in front of your nose.

The car turns abruptly, another door opens and voila, a different presentation unfolds. From an experiential perspective, Shadow Creek's twists and turns are quite disorienting - in the same way that much of Pine Valley brings about the same sensation of driving in Florida's midlands. No horizon or landmarks, just one corridor of tree after another - with no clue which way is west beyond searching for a glimmer of sun somewhere behind the dense greenery.              
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 01:26:33 PM by Gib Papazian »

Charlie Gallagher

Replying to Steve Lapper, and knowing Boston Golf Club well, Boston's holes are not strictly isolated from one and other. There are certain holes, 4 comes to mind, and there are several others, that are set off in their own corridor. Boston, however, also has other corridors where holes are in close proximity to other holes. 2 and 3 run paralel  to each other and one sees parts of the other hole while playing along. The same concept holds true where 12 and 16's  fairways abut, and there is also a delightful confluence of golf structure that melds together from the vista of the 5th green as one looks right at the amazing par3 6th, and then left at the 7th  fairway and its bunkering.
   If you are looking for another course that has almost all of its holes in isolated corridors Hidden Creek in New Jersey comes to mind.

Lenny Polakoff

I believe Gallaway National would also fit the bill

Tim Martin

Yale's back 9 is very isolated.

Chris_Hufnagel

I have only played The Golf Club (Ohio) twice, but each time I felt like each hole was its own journey and had a sense of isolation.  I went to Google Earth to try and confirm that perception – it turns out there are several sequences within the routing where holes get quite close to one another - especially early in the back nine.  Perhaps it was the lack of other golfers on the course, but it certainly felt like you were in your own world...

Steve Lapper

Replying to Steve Lapper, and knowing Boston Golf Club well, Boston's holes are not strictly isolated from one and other. There are certain holes, 4 comes to mind, and there are several others, that are set off in their own corridor. Boston, however, also has other corridors where holes are in close proximity to other holes. 2 and 3 run paralel  to each other and one sees parts of the other hole while playing along. The same concept holds true where 12 and 16's  fairways abut, and there is also a delightful confluence of golf structure that melds together from the vista of the 5th green as one looks right at the amazing par3 6th, and then left at the 7th  fairway and its bunkering.
   If you are looking for another course that has almost all of its holes in isolated corridors Hidden Creek in New Jersey comes to mind.

Charlie,

You probably know better than myself (having only played it twice). I just recall the sense of isolation on most all the holes. Each time I played it the summer foliage  was at full bloom. Hidden Creek is a decent call, but some holes on the back side open up just enough to allow a peak thru. Cheers.
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back