News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tom_Doak

Non-binding Referendum - Form of the New Confidential Guide
« on: February 03, 2013, 12:48:26 PM »
I am wrestling with how best to present the new edition of The Confidential Guide.

There are so many courses to include that if I try to fit everything in one book, and include some pictures, it will become one of those Encyclopedic books that you can't even pick up.  (The last edition was close to my weight limit, and there are many many more courses to include this time around.)  Not sure I want to go there.

So, if you had a vote, which of these forms do you think would be best?

(a)  A single color-photo edition like the 1996 Sleeping Bear Press edition, large and heavy and pretty

(b)  All one edition, but no photos, to keep down size and cost (like the 1994 limited edition)

(c)  Multiple regional editions (2 or 3 or 4), color w/photos

(d)  Multiple regional editions (maybe as many as 10-12), no photos, trying to keep them pocket-sized to carry on travels

(e)  Not a book, but a CD or online subscription access, so there is space to search for everything and room for as many photos as I have.  Updatable in the future.

For (a) and (b) the courses scoring below 5 on the Doak scale would have to be excluded due to space constraints.  For other options, there would be room for every course I've ever seen, and then some!

Please vote for one or two choices you prefer.  And, please note, this is what they call in politics a "non-binding referendum" :)

Alex Lagowitz

Re: Non-binding Referendum - Form of the New Confidential Guide
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2013, 12:52:59 PM »
I would vote for (C) b/c you would be able to get the most information, and also not sacrifice anything.
Then, people could purchase exactly what they needed, and then if they want, buy the whole set.

John Kirk

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2013, 01:05:16 PM »
Hi Tom,

I also like c), though hopefully you can keep it to 2 or possible 3 volumes.  Lots of work.

Option e) would be great in some ways, though I would worry about having the material pirated.

Ash Towe

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2013, 01:07:04 PM »
B and E

All the information available in one source.

E gives the ability for pictures. You can sell them as singles or a combination.

hhuffines

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2013, 01:08:44 PM »
I would enjoy (a) for courses you deem 7 or 8 and above and (e) for any other courses and updates you deem worthy.  The photos add a lot in my opinion.  Thank you!

Don_Mahaffey

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2013, 01:11:01 PM »
I am 100% for option (e). This is rapidly improving technology that is also very utilitarian ;D

It is the way forward....I hope my youngsters never ever have to carry a backpack full of books.

If for some reason (e) didn't work, I'd think domestic and international volumes would be cool

Sean_A

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2013, 01:11:25 PM »
B and E

All the information available in one source.

E gives the ability for pictures. You can sell them as singles or a combination.

Yes, but only include good pix.  This may even allow just a book with no cd.  

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Jason Topp

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2013, 01:13:28 PM »
I vote for E. 

The comprehensive nature and the reviews of lesser courses  are a big part of what I like about the original (big) book.  Adding a bunch of pictures that you find interesting would significantly increase the value of the updated book for me.  I also presume an online version would significantly reduce cost.

You also might want to consider eliminating the numbers for ratings below whatever cutoff you choose. 

I like the 0s.  I think the 0s communicate an important message.  Of course, I do not have to deal with the reaction of courses that receive 0s.

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2013, 01:15:45 PM »
There is a trend in early voting.  I'm for (c). Can you imagine how Playboy would have done without pictures? I'd include a teaser of the  other editions.  Second choice would be (e).

Terry Lavin

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2013, 01:15:46 PM »
b and e.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

David Harshbarger

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2013, 01:22:41 PM »
A, C, and E, with the emphasis on E.

A as a highlight edition suitable for gifting.
C as the authoritative compendium.
E (online only, no physical media) as the living, breathing, version that can grow and evolve as you and the world do, without limits.  E also opens up avenues for distribution to a larger audience, and integration of your perspective into the larger content ecosystem.  

For example, say you make E the primary focus, and instead of subscription access, go with free content and tasteful advertising.  The impact potential is much higher, as the quality of your content can and will drive high search placement.  That will mean a broader impact for yor ideas, too, and a broader market for the book versions.

If standing up Doak.com is not your cup of tee, you might consider F- an e-book version.  Size and weight don't matter, it can be as large or small as you want, add photos galore,and updates would probably  not be too costly.
The trouble with modern equipment and distance—and I don't see anyone pointing this out—is that it robs from the player's experience. - Mickey Wright

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2013, 01:24:51 PM »
A&E
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Joey Chase

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2013, 01:25:59 PM »
Without question I vote for C, you could include everything you want.  They all sound pretty interesting though.

Andrew Hastie

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2013, 01:27:40 PM »
 I also think C with second choice E! I think it's important that the guide is comprehensive but I also like the photos!

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2013, 01:27:51 PM »
A book for me would be B easy
I don't need any more pictures
Your words are valuable enough
Good luck Tom
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Stephen Davis

« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2013, 01:33:11 PM »
I would be most inclined towards C (with the option of E for those who purchase the set). B would be my second choice. I like that it would be concise yet filled with the pertinent info.

Jim Colton

« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2013, 01:37:45 PM »
I vote for B

RJ_Daley

« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2013, 01:41:10 PM »
Definitely a DVD or zip - thumb drive or downloadable to Kindlelike devices.  You can even embed video.  Burn the books....  ::)
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Matt Kardash

« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2013, 01:45:13 PM »
Due to the amount of content and the fact that downloadable content is the future (and the now!) I would say go for E. Also, I feel the downloadable content keeps costs to a minimum yet provides the most amount of information. Maybe you could print a limited number of copies to appease the hardcore people who want it for posterity.
the interviewer asked beck how he felt "being the bob dylan of the 90's" and beck quitely responded "i actually feel more like the bon jovi of the 60's"

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2013, 01:56:08 PM »
E - As an app with tablet and phone versions.
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Greg Holland

« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2013, 02:00:25 PM »
How about A, with E as an insert with updates, etc.

Gary Slatter

« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2013, 02:12:23 PM »
(b) would be ideal with (e) available to purchase if you own (b)
Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

Peter Ferlicca

« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2013, 02:23:24 PM »
I think (E) would be the best.  With technology today, everyone has anything they want in the palm of their hands.  The book version is nice but who wants to lug around a 30lb book when they go on a golf trip.  How nice would it be on your next golf trip to just bring your laptop or Ipad, and pull up the new Confindental Guide on a bright colorful screen and see some nice pictures to go along with a review.  Like others have said it would probably be more afforadable also.

Ben Sims

« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2013, 02:27:28 PM »
Tom,

I think there are two options that seem most ambitious but also the most useful.

E)  I'm writing this on an iPad. I travel with it.  I take it to work.  I read all of my periodicals on it. All of my thousands of pages of aircraft publications and instructions are on it. I pay bills on it.  I get weather and news and listen to books on it. It's really an attachment now after just two months of owning one. The tablet and large format smartphone market is big, but I think it's about to blow up.  With wi-fi becoming more and more available, I think we're about to see a tablet explosion on the order of when cell phones went from popular to ubiquitous in the late 90's. Having a well interfaced e-version of the Confidential Guide at 30-40 bucks per download would be fantastic.

C). Maybe something on the order of Fodor's American Compass Guides (a guidebook but much more personal and informational than normal guides).  Like 3-4 regional copies by continent released every 12 months for a few years.  That would be cool.

But seriously, an e-version with hyperlinks and both lateral and vertical scrolling would be ridiculously cool.  I recently downloaded an e-book about cocktail making by a company that really knows how to make a e-guide.  Check out http://openairpub.com/ Even if you're not into one of the 10 or so subjects they have, download one of them to your ipad.  It's a fantastic way to learn stuff.  

George Freeman

« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2013, 02:30:05 PM »
A or C, with the option to buy E.  I like C b/c you would not have to cut out courses.  Plus it creates a "set" (more profitable for you??).

Who doesn't love beautiful pictures?  Not to mention pictures sell books!
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back