News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Gib_Papazian

Re: What place does cyberbullying have on GCA.com?
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2013, 04:02:01 PM »
Barny,

Your Cyberbullying response to Ronald did not pass the chocolate milk test.

I have you to thank that my laptop keyboard is covered with Tecate spewed out my nose.

I hate you for being as clever as I am.   

JMEvensky

« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2013, 04:05:08 PM »

titularity of his hilarity.

Just didn't want this to get overlooked--very nice.

Dan King

« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2013, 04:41:07 PM »
You got to think pretty damn highly of your opinion to think a difference of opinion is bullying.

Cheers,
Dan King
“One's dignity may be assaulted, vandalized and cruelly mocked, but it can never be taken away unless it is surrendered.”
― Michael J. Fox

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2013, 04:52:24 PM »
King John, out not thy gallant jelly...

First Serv.  O! I am slain. My lord, you have one eye left   
To see some mischief on him. O!  [Dies.

Corn.  Lest it see more, prevent it. Out, vile jelly!   
Where is thy lustre now?

I would like to apologize to Dante Alighieri, Cerberus/Kerberos and denizens of the underworld for inflicting emotional pain unto them. Elder John has shown me the light and I wish to walk the path of righteousness amid the shoulders of calamity.

Perhaps we can convince Ran to modify the rope ladder that leads to the treehouse...

“Through me you pass into the city of woe:  
       Through me you pass into eternal pain:  
       Through me among the people lost for aye.  
       Justice the founder of my fabric moved:  
       To rear me was the task of Power divine,        
       Supremest Wisdom, and primeval Love.
       Before me things create were none, save things  
       Eternal, and eternal I endure.  
       Abandon all hope, ye who enter here.”

I think posts like the above are cyberbullying.

Thank you for the verification.  I can not explain why you make me so angry. I'm afraid that so much of this cyberbullying amongst us adults is the classic...It's not you, it's me.  I accept full responsibility for wanting to gouge my eyes out every time you post and for that I am sorry.  Once again, for the benefit of the other people on this site I will refrain from responding to any of your posts until no sooner than the conclusion of the 2013 Masters.  It is all I know to do.  Perhaps by then I can find the maturity to see past my own failures.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Mike_Young

« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2013, 04:54:04 PM »
No one has mentioned the "herd mentality"  form of cyber bullying.  There are those on here that might like the work of say a RJ or a TF and would not dare say so out of fear of comments from others and then , vice versa, if they did not like something of other favorites they would never tell you.   ;)
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Mike Hendren

« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2013, 04:55:29 PM »
Are we not men?
-Devo
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

RJ_Daley

« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2013, 04:57:12 PM »
Perhaps we can convince Ran to modify the rope ladder that leads to the treehouse...

“Through me you pass into the city of woe:  
       Through me you pass into eternal pain:  
       Through me among the people lost for aye.  
       Justice the founder of my fabric moved:  
       To rear me was the task of Power divine,        
       Supremest Wisdom, and primeval Love.
       Before me things create were none, save things  
       Eternal, and eternal I endure.  
       Abandon all hope, ye who enter here.”

But Ron, isn't it really the lines that follow to the end of Canto III that tell the tale of life in the treehouse?

"I saw these words inscribed on the rock
[Master, I said, these words bode me ill]
  He answered me like one of understanding:
<here must all misgiving be cast off;
All cowardice must be overcome;
For now we have approached onto that place
Of which I spoke, where you shall see those souls
Who mourn the lack of intellect's true light.>

>>>Here on GCA.com, sighs and wails and shrieks of every sort
Reverberate in the starless cyberspace
....diverse tongues... accents horrible...groans of agony...
screams of rage... voices weak and shrill....

Oh Master, tell me what is this I hear,
Who are these so overcome by anxt? <<<<

He answered me:  >>>> This miserable lot
Befalls the woe-begotten souls of those
Who lived their lives with neither praise nor blame.

I will tell you very briefly.
These have no hope of death; existence here
Is so degraded and obscure, that they
Are envious of any other lot.
The world has put them out of mind;
Mercy and justice scorn them, both alike.
We won't discuss them.  Look, and pass them by.<<<<

and it gets more gruesome from there

shamelessly and vulgarly editted, and parodied, by moi.

No disrespect meant, nor cyberbullying intended.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2013, 05:00:37 PM by RJ_Daley »
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

David Davis

« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2013, 05:08:28 PM »
Cyberbullying is the use of the Internet and related technologies to harm other people, in a deliberate, repeated, and hostile manner. (In case anyone was too lazy to look it up)

I certainly don't see this happening on GCA at all and so far in my experience it's certainly not the heavy posters or John, Patrick, Tom and Gib etc that you have to be concerned about (no offense fellas, I mean not to undermine your reputations, I do find you to be among the most entertaining, off the record ;-). I think what many people miss and don't understand are the relationships offline that many of you have which allows you the complete freedom to give each other a hard time, even call each other names most likely in good spirits.

What I've learned that's more sensitive on GCA are indeed what Brian has mentioned. It's when lurkers and non-posters take things out of context and inform people offline. I've already had the same experience which certainly has given the clear message that the forum is not quite as free towards expressing opinion as I initially believed. This might not be a problem in the US but overseas it's just a small world and things get around very easily.
Sharing the greatest experiences in golf.

IG: @top100golftraveler
www.lockharttravelclub.com

William_G

« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2013, 05:34:44 PM »
I think this must be in reference to the thread where Patrick has taken an argument off-topic by posting the list of contributors to the site, as if to say that the guys he is arguing with don't have standing to argue.  I'm not sure what "cyberbullying" is but I did think that was inappropriate.  I have no problem with people arguing about golf course architecture but they should refrain from making it personal and stay on topic.

uh, thank you
It's all about the golf!

William_G

« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2013, 05:35:47 PM »

Please give an example.

JakaB,

Some on this site like to dish it out, but obviously they can't take it when they're on the receiving end.

The whining is music to my ears.

Let them "play on" ;D

exactly
It's all about the golf!

Terry Lavin

« Reply #35 on: February 02, 2013, 05:39:43 PM »
Are we not men?
-Devo

Take some cheese with the whine and move on. Posting the list of contributors was a little heavy handed, but it ain't cyber bullying.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Ben Sims

« Reply #36 on: February 02, 2013, 05:49:35 PM »

Captain,

With my paltry amount of posts - even compared to yours - I hardly belong in the Court of GCA Aristocracy. Barny was sent back to GO without $200 by the Ran-Master and had his counter reset to zero, so his postal totality hardly reflects the titularity of his hilarity.

Speaking of Simmons, are Bill Simmons and the Godfather of the Biggest Loser related? I'll might deserve a seat in the lower reserved section if the tally included words per post, but it does not. In Match Play, my eagle against Anthony Butler's usual triple-bogey only scores 1-up. This is a professional event and the Treehouse format is Stroke Play.          

Ah shit.  It's post count now?  Posting something and saying something are a bit different I think.  If anyone agrees with that sentiment, it's my produce peddling buddy from Burlingame. The red barons of this furball have and are still those that manage to chop off the most ears.  And the four guys I mentioned a post or two ago all have different methods.  But their ear count is pretty high. 

Me, I've administered far too few internet ass kickings.  I blame it on Steve Jobs.  iPad sucks for typing diatribes.  Good for Fruit Ninja though.  I hope that game doesn't offend you.   ;D

Bill_McBride

« Reply #37 on: February 02, 2013, 07:02:18 PM »

Captain,

With my paltry amount of posts - even compared to yours - I hardly belong in the Court of GCA Aristocracy. Barny was sent back to GO without $200 by the Ran-Master and had his counter reset to zero, so his postal totality hardly reflects the titularity of his hilarity.

Speaking of Simmons, are Bill Simmons and the Godfather of the Biggest Loser related? I'll might deserve a seat in the lower reserved section if the tally included words per post, but it does not. In Match Play, my eagle against Anthony Butler's usual triple-bogey only scores 1-up. This is a professional event and the Treehouse format is Stroke Play.          

Ah shit.  It's post count now?  Posting something and saying something are a bit different I think.  If anyone agrees with that sentiment, it's my produce peddling buddy from Burlingame. The red barons of this furball have and are still those that manage to chop off the most ears.  And the four guys I mentioned a post or two ago all have different methods.  But their ear count is pretty high. 

Me, I've administered far too few internet ass kickings.  I blame it on Steve Jobs.  iPad sucks for typing diatribes.  Good for Fruit Ninja though.  I hope that game doesn't offend you.   ;D

My 4-year old grandson loves Fruit Ninja, slices 'em up!   ;D

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #38 on: February 02, 2013, 07:16:16 PM »

The most blatant cyber bullying on this site involves none of the above posters.

It is the reaction of a handful of posters every time a certain individual posts a new thread on GCA. He seems to post in good faith but gets the same reaction every time - prodding and poking and derision.

Brian,

Glad you also picked up on it.
Good threads are often sidetracked by deliberate attempts to undermine them.
And when those trying to undermine them get a verbal thrashing, they go whining about being abused.
What wimps.

Perhaps once it was provoked but now it happens before he has a chance to make more than the initial post in the thread.

Brian, if you'll notice, rarely do these same individuals craft interesting threads or contribute interesting ideas.
I'll leave off the other contributions as that's on another thread.

I am left wondering what he did to piss people off so much.

They're just wimpy whiners who offer very little in the way of constructive contributions.

Either way, it leaves a sour taste in the mouth even though I have no involvement...

Agree ;D

V. Kmetz

« Reply #39 on: February 02, 2013, 07:35:41 PM »
Some of the items that get posted and/or are responded to, are certainly not productive to the GCA implicit mission, but I personally don't think it rises to the level of "bullying" cyber or otherwise:

I think I would know because:

1.  Just last week, in making a new thread to ravage a purely socio-political thread, a poster wanted to let me (and you) know he was spoiling for a fight and ready to do terrible things to me, or those who hold my opinions.  I didn't give it any more thought than the 20 minutes it took to formulate a response that said the post was just an empty thing. Both threads were ripped down within 8 hours.

2.  In April, a poster deigned to contact a place I work in the prospect that my opinions here might have a negative impact on my work there.  It was a craven effort to dampen opinion (mine for sure, but maybe yours) and as forecasted, not a peep of trouble ensued...(I was genuinely worried that more trouble would come for others at the club - especially the "contact")

Cyberspace and its impersonality are the cause of such problems in general.  They can be dealt with ignorance or response as one sees fit.  No other added terms need to characterize it, imo.

cheers

vk
"The tee shot must first be hit straight and long between a vast bunker on the left which whispers 'slice' in the player's ear, and a wilderness on the right which induces a hurried hook." -

Sean_A

« Reply #40 on: February 02, 2013, 07:41:11 PM »
Everybody knows guys like Mucci, Gib and Schmidt are like dogs on an ankle.  I don't mind some of this nonsense passed off as intelligence if its funny, but far too often this isn't the case.  Unfortunately, too often I suspect humour isn't even in play.  Anyway, if you don't like how these guys play, then don't kick the ball, or at the very least, walk away when you know its a complete waste of time...that too is often the case...heavy sigh.  Guys like Mucci live to giggle away at the keyboard, but for heavens sake, it ain't cyberbullying.  Doesn't one actually have to be physically or emotionally harmed by bullying?  If you take this crap that hard, close your laptop and never sign in again.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

V. Kmetz

« Reply #41 on: February 02, 2013, 07:56:48 PM »
Sean,

"Your mother wears army boots and smokes cigars!'

:o

cheers

vk
"The tee shot must first be hit straight and long between a vast bunker on the left which whispers 'slice' in the player's ear, and a wilderness on the right which induces a hurried hook." -

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #42 on: February 02, 2013, 07:58:33 PM »
William:

I agree with your suggestion that cyber bullying has no place at GCA. That said, for the most part people here are pretty well behaved. I can't say that for some other boards I regularly visit .
Tim Weiman

Sean_A

« Reply #43 on: February 02, 2013, 08:09:13 PM »
Sean,

"Your mother wears army boots and smokes cigars!'

:o

cheers

vk

My mother doesn't need me to defend her.  She said tell that horse's neck to suck scissors.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

V. Kmetz

« Reply #44 on: February 02, 2013, 08:10:38 PM »
Ha!

RJ_Daley

« Reply #45 on: February 02, 2013, 08:33:33 PM »
VK says:
1.  Just last week, in making a new thread to ravage a purely socio-political thread, a poster wanted to let me (and you) know he was spoiling for a fight and ready to do terrible things to me, or those who hold my opinions.  I didn't give it any more thought than the 20 minutes it took to formulate a response that said the post was just an empty thing. Both threads were ripped down within 8 hours.

That has happened any number of times when we get a little O.T. and let our political flags fly.  I still enjoy the opportunity to exchange strongly held views, and believe it or not, I try to learn from those I may vehemently disagree with.  I haven't really felt somehow set upon or personally dogged by those that disagree.  And, I still enjoy those who believe certain things different from me because of their shared reason to be on this site and have enjoyed my time with them, when I've had the opportunity to actually go to a course and enjoy the game with them and others we know on these cyber environs.  It isn't any different than a grill room at a club, where guys talk about this and that after a round, and usually get grouped into camps of beliefs, and then when we are with like minded members say; 'that so and so guy is a block head', and we all laugh, knowing that guy is saying the same about you.  It is all cool with very isolated exceptions.  Calling to rat out a guys beliefs to get him fired... well that is across the line and is so rare, that I think we have a consensus that just isn't right, IMO. 

I always wonder when I'm involved in a hot topic thread and you give it your best shot, go to bed and come back to see it was deleted.  I wonder, was it my last comment, or somebody else, and what was the straw that broke the camels back to get the thread whacked.   ::)  ;D :o
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Carl Rogers

« Reply #46 on: February 02, 2013, 08:41:28 PM »
the OT political threads are the worst .... and while I have not started these threads but have, on occasion, probably threw some gasoline on the fire.  I will not comment on the political OT thread any more.
I decline to accept the end of man. ... William Faulkner

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #47 on: February 02, 2013, 08:45:53 PM »
Ah, amateur golfers, what can you say about them -- notorious for their hair trigger tempers, envied for their bacchanalian excesses, feared for their rapier like wits, respected for their aggressive on course tactics, and admired for their subtle and diverse minds. Alas, it's a combustible (but much prized) combination, with young and beautiful women swooning at their feet, overcome by swirls of deep desire and powerful emotion.  But a warning: if one ever shows up wearing a faded denim jacket over his plus fours and carrying a sunday bag full of hickories, you'd better run for the hills!

Peter

« Last Edit: February 02, 2013, 08:47:54 PM by PPallotta »

William_G

« Reply #48 on: February 02, 2013, 08:50:02 PM »
William:

I agree with your suggestion that cyber bullying has no place at GCA. That said, for the most part people here are pretty well behaved. I can't say that for some other boards I regularly visit .

thanks Tim

yes, of course sticks and stones, and this is a great site :D

look forward to improvement and growth here as opposed to tyranny

Nero loved his music and fanned the flames

thanks
It's all about the golf!

RJ_Daley

« Reply #49 on: February 02, 2013, 09:05:43 PM »
Peter,
Ah, amateur golfers, what can you say about them -- notorious for their hair trigger tempers, envied for their bacchanalian excesses, feared for their rapier like wits, respected for their aggressive on course tactics, and admired for their subtle and diverse minds. Alas, it's a combustible (but much prized) combination, with young and beautiful women swooning at their feet, overcome by swirls of deep desire and powerful emotion.

The line:  "your doing it wrong" comes to mind.  Alas, the liver can't take another baccanal orgy, wits as sharp as a marble, layed up with only 170 to the green, one track mind, and the cat peed on my matches- thus no combustion, and she is the only creature swirling at my feet tonight.  She is kinda pretty though, with needy green eyes.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back