News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

William_G

What place does cyberbullying have on GCA.com?
« on: February 02, 2013, 11:03:09 AM »
If any?

While the off-line personas of some folks are reportedly markedly different, better and more engaging than their on-line presences...

The unattractive is actually attractive in real life, what, huh???

I ask what is the role here of turning things into food fights on this great golf site?

Thank you
It's all about the golf!

John Kavanaugh

Re: What place does cyberbullying have on GCA.com?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2013, 11:23:26 AM »
Please give an example.

William_G

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2013, 12:07:07 PM »
sorry John.

Please correct me if I have a mis-perception of what I am seeing.

thanks
It's all about the golf!

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2013, 12:26:45 PM »
William,

The problem with vague accusations like yours is that you could be bullying someone outside your intentions.  As far as I know you are calling either me, Pat Mucci, Gib, Pat Craig, Melvyn or any one of hundreds of posters out.  I am somewhat an expert on the subject and can tell you that the subtle stab in the dark that hurts multiple people at once is the worst form of cyberbullying.  For this to be a fruitful discussion you have to be specific on what you think cyberbullying on GCA is.

I do not think Pat Mucci has ever bullied anyone on this site.  If you don't want to be specific than at least eliminate him from your pool.  If you think he has than please give us examples so we can all learn how not to be hurtful to others.

If you think that I am the cyberbully please tell me.  I know I have made mistakes in the past and have truly been trying to move past that part of my life.  There is no place for it on the net or anywhere in society but it has to be identified to be stopped.

David_Elvins

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2013, 12:40:23 PM »
John,

I assume William is talking about the ganging up on Pat Mucci by several posters at once although Pat seems to be giving as good as he is recieving at times.  Whilst I don't think it is pretty, I think that the word "bullying" is so mis-used and over-used that any conversation about appropriate behaviour is better off without the word and I agree with you that without more specific complaints, this discussion is fairly useless. 
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2013, 01:00:57 PM »
I think this must be in reference to the thread where Patrick has taken an argument off-topic by posting the list of contributors to the site, as if to say that the guys he is arguing with don't have standing to argue.  I'm not sure what "cyberbullying" is but I did think that was inappropriate.  I have no problem with people arguing about golf course architecture but they should refrain from making it personal and stay on topic.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2013, 01:15:32 PM »
I think this must be in reference to the thread where Patrick has taken an argument off-topic by posting the list of contributors to the site, as if to say that the guys he is arguing with don't have standing to argue.  I'm not sure what "cyberbullying" is but I did think that was inappropriate.  I have no problem with people arguing about golf course architecture but they should refrain from making it personal and stay on topic.

Tom Doak,

If you'd open your eyes and look at the upper right corner of your screen, right next to "Art & Architecture", you'll see the word " CONTRIBUTIONS"

If you click on that section, you'll see the list that I merely transposed from the "contributions" section to the "Discussion Group" section.

So stop whining like the others

If it's OK for Ran to publish the list on this site, it's OK for me to quote Ran on this site.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2013, 01:19:00 PM »

Please give an example.

JakaB,

Some on this site like to dish it out, but obviously they can't take it when they're on the receiving end.

The whining is music to my ears.

Let them "play on" ;D

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2013, 01:23:24 PM »
Pat,

I requested my name be left off the contributions list for this very reason.  The idea that a monetary donation earns one a right to an opinion is the core of ignorance.

Gib_Papazian

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2013, 01:28:30 PM »
I actually object far more to posters whose internet persona is polite and thoughtful here in the Treehouse, but in real life are rude, thoughtless, crass buffoons. All one needs to do here is skip to the next thread - on a golf course you're stuck for four hours, plus the cursory afterbeer.

Not mentioning any names of course.   ;)

There is no reason to call in the reinforcements for Mucci, I rather enjoy watching him feint and parry against a gangsome like Douglas Fairbanks; and just like in the movies, he and Shivas are always the last two standing. Which one plays the villain and which wears the white hat depends on the subject and your perspective.

You're obviously not picking on me because I expel the same amount of high-handed bluster and haughty conceit in person as here in the Treehouse. Every barroom needs a windy squawk on the corner stool sneaking Tabasco into margarita mix. Tasty going down, but it burns a bit on the other end.

And if our Barny is the bullseye in your crosshairs, with rare exception these days he rarely throws the first pie - and even when he does, it is filled with banana creme and not broken glass and gravel. I've admittedly been a bit guilty of putting razor blades in the Halloween candy when provoked by the occasional arrogant imbecile, but have promised Her Redness to make 2013 the year I quit surrendering to my malevolent impulses and barbarous sneers at the other side of the bell curve.

Everyone else seems reasonably well behaved given that disagreement is the engine that moves each thread forward.

« Last Edit: February 02, 2013, 04:07:09 PM by Gib Papazian »

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2013, 01:41:14 PM »
Pat,

I requested my name be left off the contributions list for this very reason.  The idea that a monetary donation earns one a right to an opinion is the core of ignorance.

JakaB

So did I, but Ran listed it anyway.

I didn't bring up Contribitions" or "contributing" to this site, someone else did.

But, when one's contribution/s to this site are questioned, talk becomes cheap, my support and contributions are clearly evidenced in more than one section.

What's comical about William's pathetic whining is that it was Will Lozier who personalized a potentially good thread, when I responded, Mark Pearce and others jumped in.

If you stick your nose into a fray, expect it to get bloodied, and if it gets bloodied, for Pete's sake, be a man and don't whine about it.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2013, 01:43:08 PM by Patrick_Mucci »

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2013, 02:04:26 PM »
Please give an example.

JakaB,

The politically correct wimps want to equate discussion and debate, including passionate, contentious and strident debate, with cyber bullying.

What a joke !

What wimps !

And what's really comical is that they want it to be a one way street, so that they can dish it out, but be granted immunity from responses in kind.

Would you want to play golf with guys like that ?

Gib_Papazian

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2013, 02:14:43 PM »
Now all we need is Shivas to weigh in and the games can begin.

There is a thin line between a brawl and an orgy - both have their fair share of passion and aggressive violence.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2013, 02:21:47 PM »
Now all we need is Shivas to weigh in and the games can begin.

There is a thin line between a brawl and an orgy - both have their fair share of passion and aggressive violence.

Gib,

There's also a good reason why boxing has weight classes  ;D

Ben Sims

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2013, 02:29:48 PM »
This is neither an indictment nor a defense.  I find it extraordinary that within a dozen or so posts, some the most prolific members of this site (Tom, Gib, Patrick, and John) found their way to the buffet. That has to be a record.  That the topic was cyberbullying shows a certain level of awareness on the issue by those posters. 

The most poignant thing I can think of with this topic is based on the incorrectness of assumption.  I think we all do a horrid job of being empathetic towards the world someone else might live in. We assume they live in ours.  Nothing is further for the truth.  We are all guilty of this. 

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2013, 02:37:22 PM »
Is this pay-per-view? (crickets...)

It's hard to see from this nest where tongues are planted.  (did a butterfly just land...)

So a Mucci and a Kavanaugh walk into a bar... (sound of tumbleweed, minus the wind...)
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Gib_Papazian

« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2013, 03:00:08 PM »
Captain Sims,

BULLY |ˈbʊli|
noun ( pl. bullies )
a person who uses strength or power to harm or intimidate those who are weaker.

I'm not aware of anybody being intimidated. This is just harmless sparring and if a poster gets his feelings hurt, well, don't step into the ring. If the Treehouse ever got too polite, it would be a deadly bore.

There is a certain unwritten adherence to Marquess of Queensberry Rules, but with so many bodies flying around the occasional MMA cage fight is bound to break out. Like Mucci wrote, if you want to stick your Cyrano into a domestic squabble, don't be surprised if you get kicked in the nuts, bent over and end up with somebody wiping their johnson on your curtains.

Further, it has been my experience that when an unsuspecting civilian inadvertently wanders into the wrong cellblock and gets beat on by an Alpha Dog, plenty of zip guns get pulled in defense of the newbie. It is only when said civilian sticks his tongue out on the way out the door that the trouble starts.

The Lesson: Don't go into a biker bar and demand free beer unless you got the chops to hold your own when the blades come out.  

« Last Edit: February 02, 2013, 03:03:08 PM by Gib Papazian »

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2013, 03:06:09 PM »
Perhaps we can convince Ran to modify the rope ladder that leads to the treehouse...

“Through me you pass into the city of woe: 
       Through me you pass into eternal pain: 
       Through me among the people lost for aye. 
       Justice the founder of my fabric moved: 
       To rear me was the task of Power divine,         
       Supremest Wisdom, and primeval Love.
       Before me things create were none, save things 
       Eternal, and eternal I endure. 
       Abandon all hope, ye who enter here.”
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2013, 03:08:21 PM »
Perhaps we can convince Ran to modify the rope ladder that leads to the treehouse...

I think posts like the above are cyberbullying.

Ben Sims

« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2013, 03:20:22 PM »
Captain Sims,

BULLY |ˈbʊli|
noun ( pl. bullies )
a person who uses strength or power to harm or intimidate those who are weaker.

I'm not aware of anybody being intimidated. This is just harmless sparring and if a poster gets his feelings hurt, well, don't step into the ring. If the Treehouse ever got too polite, it would be a deadly bore.

There is a certain unwritten adherence to Marquess of Queensberry Rules, but with so many bodies flying around the occasional MMA cage fight is bound to break out. Like Mucci wrote, if you want to stick your Cyrano into a domestic squabble, don't be surprised if you get kicked in the nuts, bent over and end up with somebody wiping their johnson on your curtains.

Further, it has been my experience that when an unsuspecting civilian inadvertently wanders into the wrong cellblock and gets beat on by an Alpha Dog, plenty of zip guns get pulled in defense of the newbie. It is only when said civilian sticks his tongue out on the way out the door that the trouble starts.

The Lesson: Don't go into a biker bar and demand free beer unless you got the chops to hold your own when the blades come out.  

Gib,

I couldn't agree more with your statement.  In fact, I've lived it elsewhere on other topics. 

What I meant to highlight was the willingness of our most influential members to define/defend what is and ain't  cyberbullying. It makes no difference your stance, or anyone else I highlighted.  What I was most caught off guard by was the speed and efficiency with which the notion was shot down. 

It's funny to me that it took cyberbullying to get that type of consolidated attention.  Why can't you rulers of the realm kick a few newbie belt notching rater types in the gnads over golf architecture buffoonery.   ;D

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2013, 03:32:52 PM »
Few people know cyberbullying when they see it unless it is directed specifically towards them.  I'm not sure how many of you are aware that tomorrow at the pre-game for the Super Bowl the Newtown Choir will be singing America the Beautiful.  I can't help myself but I tear up everytime I watch these kids sing.  This is the first version of Somewhere Over the Rainbow orchestrated by some really cool people from the Talking Heads and a cute folks singer.  Cyberbullying the NRA.  What I wouldn't have given to see the look on Wayne LaPierre's face when they hit him with this.

http://ibang.co/XaHIqQ

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2013, 03:33:10 PM »
I would like to apologize to Dante Alighieri, Cerberus/Kerberos and denizens of the underworld for inflicting emotional pain unto them. Elder John has shown me the light and I wish to walk the path of righteousness amid the shoulders of calamity.

Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Bill_McBride

« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2013, 03:35:35 PM »

Anybody else ever spend an afternoon shooting pool in a pretty rough biker bar in rural Florida wearing a pink polo shirt and white shorts?

Luckily this was after golf with my convention electrician in Orlando, who treated me to golf at Howey-in-the-Hills, and then suggested we have a couple of beers at "his club"...............

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2013, 03:53:03 PM »
I would like to apologize to Dante Alighieri, Cerberus/Kerberos and denizens of the underworld for inflicting emotional pain unto them. Elder John has shown me the light and I wish to walk the path of righteousness amid the shoulders of calamity.

Thank you for the verification.  I can not explain why you make me so angry. I'm afraid that so much of this cyberbullying amongst us adults is the classic...It's not you, it's me.  I accept full responsibility for wanting to gouge my eyes out every time you post and for that I am sorry.  Once again, for the benefit of the other people on this site I will refrain from responding to any of your posts until no sooner than the conclusion of the 2013 Masters.  It is all I know to do.  Perhaps by then I can find the maturity to see past my own failures.

Gib_Papazian

« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2013, 03:57:58 PM »
Bill,

As long as you offer to buy Sonny Barger a tub of suds, the animals will leave you alone. Meth dealing does not pay very well, so most bikers would welcome Richard Simmons in a pink tutu if he sponsored a couple rounds. Announce to the crowd that only faggots ride Rice Rockets and they might even give you a free snort of crystal.

Captain,

With my paltry amount of posts - even compared to yours - I hardly belong in the Court of GCA Aristocracy. Barny was sent back to GO without $200 by the Ran-Master and had his counter reset to zero, so his postal totality hardly reflects the titularity of his hilarity.

Speaking of Simmons, are Bill Simmons and the Godfather of the Biggest Loser related? I might deserve a seat in the lower reserved section if the tally included words per post, but it does not. In Match Play, my eagle against Anthony Butler's usual triple-bogey only scores 1-up. This is a professional event and the Treehouse format is Stroke Play.          
« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 02:17:48 AM by Gib Papazian »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back