News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mac Plumart

Golf Courses
« on: January 30, 2013, 02:02:13 PM »
What is the single most relevant aspect affecting golf course design?
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Mike_Young

Re: Golf Courses
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2013, 02:12:48 PM »
The ability to function economically is first and foremost as a whole.  there will always be outliers but as an industry( to use the word loosely) it has to survive on it's own and not be confused with subsidizing by the RE industry or a municipality.
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2013, 02:15:07 PM »
Drainage.
Charlotte. Daniel. Olivia. Josephine. Ana. Dylan. Madeleine. Catherine. Chase. Jesse. James. Grace. Emilie. Jack. Noah. Caroline. Jessica. Benjamin. Avielle. Allison.

Michael George

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2013, 02:16:05 PM »
I was going to say money before Mike beat me to it.

As H.S. Colt said - "the real test of a course:  is it going to live?"  

In these times, this is a pretty appropriate quote.

Mark - my guess is that Pete Dye agrees with you.  Didn't he say that 90% of golf course architecture is drainage?
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 02:17:44 PM by Michael George »
"First come my wife and children.  Next comes my profession--the law. Finally, and never as a life in itself, comes golf" - Bob Jones

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2013, 02:24:58 PM »
And aren't nearly all "great" courses built on sand? Weren't the first courses built on linksland and then on heath? That's drainage at work, too (at least in part) -- not to mention money. Those courses are cheaper to build and to maintain.
Charlotte. Daniel. Olivia. Josephine. Ana. Dylan. Madeleine. Catherine. Chase. Jesse. James. Grace. Emilie. Jack. Noah. Caroline. Jessica. Benjamin. Avielle. Allison.

Shaun Feidt

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2013, 02:35:56 PM »
I know from a maintenance standpoint drainage is definatley key.  One of my prof's in college had a famous quote among students.  When asked what was the most important aspects of managing a golf course, his answer was always "Drainage, drainage, and more drainage."

Mac Plumart

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2013, 06:11:46 PM »
So, we need:

First, a sound business model before we can begin to build a course.

And then, as we build, we first and foremost, need to have a course that drains.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2013, 06:32:08 PM »
My old boss David Postlethwait (who worked for Pete Dye for many years) identified the three most important pieces of any project as "the land, the owner, and the money."

I thought that was funny as hell at the time, but in hindsight, he pretty much nailed it.  You can have two out of three and build a pretty good project, but it takes three out of three to build a great one.

Mark Steffey

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2013, 06:48:06 PM »
the thing to me would be having the land.   buying it and paying the mtge is a tough nut to carry.

David Minogue

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2013, 07:05:25 PM »
In my opinion it is the Team around the project. The client who is the cash behind the project, hopefully they have secured a good enough site to build on. The architect who knows what he is doing and can get as much as he can out of the property. The contractor who executes the project to the highest standards. Having a superintendent who is involved from the projects inception who can take the course from the grow in stage to suitable conditions for play.

Don_Mahaffey

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2013, 08:37:46 PM »
My old boss David Postlethwait (who worked for Pete Dye for many years) identified the three most important pieces of any project as "the land, the owner, and the money."

I thought that was funny as hell at the time, but in hindsight, he pretty much nailed it.  You can have two out of three and build a pretty good project, but it takes three out of three to build a great one.
I'd never heard that before, but that is it? Funny how one can look at projects and pick which of the three is missing, and which projects had all three in place.

Matthew Essig

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2013, 08:55:45 PM »

I'd never heard that before, but that is it? Funny how one can look at projects and pick which of the three is missing, and which projects had all three in place.

It's funny how I was thinking about both of these after reading the original question!!!!!!! Great minds think alike???

P.S. Very creative thread name....  ;)
"Good GCA should offer an interesting golfing challenge to the golfer not a difficult golfing challenge." Jon Wiggett

Carl Rogers

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2013, 07:02:44 AM »
I think there are a number of pretty B-flat courses that have existed for a long time because there are no other golf alternatives within let's say 1.5 hour drive.
I decline to accept the end of man. ... William Faulkner

Mac Plumart

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2013, 10:23:47 AM »
Seems like the team might be MOST important aspect.

Would you assemble your team before anything else?

Chris Johnston

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2013, 10:30:36 AM »
Mac:

My answer:  F U N

CJ

William_G

« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2013, 10:57:51 AM »
the site is the most important factor, as that would determine your team

flat desert=Fazio/Wynn
ocean/sand=Doak/C&C/Keiser
parkland/forest=???

please correct me on my associations, thanks

FUN, FUN, FUN
It's all about the golf!

Matthew Petersen

« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2013, 12:25:32 PM »

Could be a fun exercise to look at some of the best examples of places that only have two of the three. (I suppose some that lacked money or an owner may be NLE). One that lacked land would seem to be Shadow Creek. Is there a better course on a less likely piece of land?

PCCraig

« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2013, 01:21:44 PM »
What is the single most relevant aspect affecting golf course design?

The declining number of golfers.
H.P.S.

Wade Schueneman

« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2013, 11:12:25 AM »
While it is certianly not the most important factor, I think location (particularly climate) is important.  I would much rather grow grass in Southampton than in Atlanta.  However, with advances in turfgrass technology perhaps this is of waning importance.  Also, a windy location seems to me to be a huge plus.  And of course, locating in Southampton also probably means good land (i.e. sandy soil and great views).

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back