News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ben Sims

Phoenix Open is proof that...
« on: February 02, 2013, 03:39:14 PM »
...it doesn't matter what these guys shoot. I am enjoying the telecast.  These guys are very good and hitting some great golf shots.  I really don't care that the leader is at -19 on the 46th hole of the event.

The problem is that this is the kind of golf course that many developers and owners think the public want because it is a good tournament.  The two are different ideas and touting that mentality is paramount for architecture going forward.  

Gary Slatter

Re: Phoenix Open is proof that...
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2013, 04:37:10 PM »
I hope it's being telecast in the R&A and USGA offices.  I know it is at TMAG.

All the homes are off the course with a few exceptions, 1, 2,3,4 and 5.  120,000 non-golfer spectators is great for the game!!!
Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2013, 05:01:30 PM »
Ben,

Some great, really great shots are being hit.

Those guys are good.

Ben Sims

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2013, 05:23:27 PM »
EDIT:

It's also proof that there is nothing of note to debate with equipment.  Uh, kind of.  I mean, who doesn't like watching a third of the field drive the 337yd 17th hole...with a 3 wood?

Keith OHalloran

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2013, 05:25:53 PM »
Ben,
Can you expand on what type of course you see this as? You mention developers think the public want this ttype of course.
Thanks

Ben Sims

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2013, 05:37:33 PM »
Ben,
Can you expand on what type of course you see this as? You mention developers think the public want this ttype of course.
Thanks

Keith,

A good bit of water, over bunkered.  Not so creative greens.  Really pretty turf.  Shall I continue?  A good tournament course is not a good public course.  No one seems to understand that chasing the pro game, in equipment, in predominant style of golf course, and in maintenance is really bad for golf as a whole. 

I love this tournament.  I hate this golf course. 

RJ_Daley

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2013, 05:46:26 PM »
It is a stadium course.  It is designed to accomodate huge, raucous crowds, and fan behavior there has become the compliment of the other big fan-stadium sporting event of the season.  The competition is geared to titilate the sunseeker AZ crowd with heavy emphasis on a frat party atmosphere.  The course design is pretty big and sprawling (observation only from TV-I never been there), and lots of holes offer opportunities to golf your ball, "balls to the wall" sort of competition.  It is proof that many folks can get out and spectate and cheer wildly, not really give a hoot about the nuances or intracacies of the game played at the highest level.  It is  proof that the technology can create B&I to give raucous spectating to the crowd that is impressed with 337yd 3 woods, and 357yard drivers, no matter where they end up; cholla, snakes belly, cart path bounded into Sissy short shorts mai tai cup.  If a lucky charm smurf-voiced Irishman can kick a football into the inebriated crowd as a keepsake memory of a sundrenched boozy afternoon escaping winter's grasp, the Phoenix Open is proof that sometime golf can be lots of fun, raise lots of money for charity, and keep the snowbirds in town.  
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

David Harshbarger

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2013, 05:53:23 PM »
Sure beats the crickets you hear on most tour telecasts. I Like It!

The trouble with modern equipment and distance—and I don't see anyone pointing this out—is that it robs from the player's experience. - Mickey Wright

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2013, 05:57:15 PM »
EDIT:

It's also proof that there is nothing of note to debate with equipment.  Uh, kind of.  I mean, who doesn't like watching a third of the field drive the 337yd 17th hole...with a 3 wood?

Probably every living architect

Keith OHalloran

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2013, 06:02:09 PM »
Thanks Ben,
I agree that a good pro tournament course is not always a great course for the masses. I have never been to the Phoenix Open course, and I get very little feel watching a course on TV, so I didn't get what you were referencing.

Terry Lavin

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2013, 06:23:16 PM »
Sure beats the crickets you hear on most tour telecasts. I Like It!

Exactly. This event is the polar opposite of the Northern Trust Open at Riviera. Crickets aplenty, but at a historic, gca Mecca. The Waste Management event is hysterical fun on a forgettable track. I like both, obviously for different reasons.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

RJ_Daley

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2013, 06:41:23 PM »
I can also say, 'both for different reasons' but to a certain limit.  I would watch this Phoenix tournament in context once a year, particularly on this couped up wintery weather, waiting for Superbowl, etc.  But, it doesn't make my needle jump like seeing the Riv come around again each year, and seeing the artistry of the design and layout, leading to a more generally interesting golf tournament play out, and also appreciating the aura of the setting and history of the old Hollywood types frolicking there.  Even the controversy of the changes made to the classic course and if it is true desecration by the owner-managment of the modern era are more interesting subject matter, than caddie races to the green in Phoenix.
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

V. Kmetz

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2013, 08:12:01 PM »
Big "amen" to that RD!

cheers

vk
"The tee shot must first be hit straight and long between a vast bunker on the left which whispers 'slice' in the player's ear, and a wilderness on the right which induces a hurried hook." -

Will MacEwen

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2013, 10:56:13 PM »
I wouldn't want it every week, but I like the way the players have to be aggressive. The ability to keep the foot on the gas and take it low is something to behold.

Sam Morrow

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2013, 11:10:49 PM »
I would hate it every week but I think 16 is one of the best things in the game, holes like that and events like this are what is going to grow the game.

William_G

« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2013, 11:13:09 PM »
love the 16th hole  ;D

about the 300+ yd. 3 woods, rememeber PHX is at 3000+ elevation, all equipment looks good
It's all about the golf!

Tom Yost

« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2013, 04:14:08 AM »
love the 16th hole  ;D

about the 300+ yd. 3 woods, rememeber PHX is at 3000+ elevation, all equipment looks good

About 1500' actually (Scottsdale Airpark)

Mark Pearce

« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2013, 05:10:57 AM »
Warm, very dry air, too.

As to the golf, the crowd may make this event a bit different  but the course is hardly unique in encouraging aggressive play and very low scoring.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2013, 07:25:33 AM »
Does this tournament benefit from "Superbowl overload"?
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Matthew Rose

« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2013, 02:32:01 PM »
It's an event designed for scoring. The course is very vulnerable.

I played the stadium course when I was 21 years old and I didn't find it to be any harder than a regular course... at the time I was about a 7-8 handicap and I had a very good chance to break 80. I'm close to a scratch these days so I think if I played well I could shoot close to par.

It was in April and it was in pristine condition. I made some long putts. I was actually hurt by excessive spin on a couple of shots, which at that time rarely happened to me since I was still playing mostly munis at this point.

16 is an easy hole. There are a couple of bowls on the green which collect shots; my dad and I both had 10 footers for birdie that we missed. The pin was close to the Tiger ace location.

The course does what it is supposed to do, which is allow for ridiculously aggressive shot making, to look pretty on television, and to give a 21 year old average schmuck from Wisconsin like me the "authentic PGA tour experience" for an afternoon in April 1998.

I'm not sure it has much in the way of architectural memorability other than the tournament aspects of the last four holes, which were very fun to play. The front nine is almost completely forgettable except for the one par-five (#3) which I liked.

American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

Greg Taylor

« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2013, 02:50:51 PM »
Good clean fun, golf competes with other sports and we all need new people (revenue) coming on stream and this events attracts people that otherwise wouldn't show an interest....

Not sure they'll be watching it in the club house at Muirfield...!

Mark Pearce

« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2013, 03:15:19 PM »
I don't believe they have a TV, so no, they won't be.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Matthew Petersen

« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2013, 11:19:39 AM »
I hope it's being telecast in the R&A and USGA offices.  I know it is at TMAG.

All the homes are off the course with a few exceptions, 1, 2,3,4 and 5.  120,000 non-golfer spectators is great for the game!!!

1 and 2 are squeezed back into a corner with homes down the right side of both holes, very much in play. Certainly the two wekest holes on the course. 3 has some homes down the right, but pretty well out of play (there's a wash right of the fairway that creates a buffer). 4 and 5 have the Princess hotel alongside. Not really in play on 4 (a short par 3, but potentially in play as OB down the right of 5). After that, there's no real OB.

The course, isn't sprawling at all IMO. Compared to a typical; desert course it's a very compact routing, actually. It has a "big" feel because the spectator stadium mounding makes each hole feel isolated, but they really aren't. The 10th green sits immediately next to the 16th green. Ditto the 11th tee, of course. Surely makes putting on 10 and driving on 11 that much tougher during the tourney.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back