News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jeb Bearer

Mid Pines or Pine Needles?
« on: January 30, 2013, 06:47:35 PM »
And other options in the Pinehurst area.

What is best for one or two rounds in late March?

Bill_McBride

Re: Mid Pines or Pine Needles?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2013, 07:07:11 PM »
Lots of choices.  The day at Pine Needles and Mid Pines is fun, there's quite a contrast between the two.  Most of the holes at PN seem to play up and over ridges, where most of the jokes at MP are hilltop to hilltop.  Both are great walks, in fact a few tees at MP seem dangerously close to the previous green.

Craig Van Egmond

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2013, 07:16:39 PM »
Depends on your game.. I love both but Pine Needles is the tougher of the two and long hitters will probably be bored at Mid Pines.

Mid Pines is a great walk in the park though.

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2013, 08:06:31 PM »
No brainer for me. Mid Pines.
Charlotte. Daniel. Olivia. Josephine. Ana. Dylan. Madeleine. Catherine. Chase. Jesse. James. Grace. Emilie. Jack. Noah. Caroline. Jessica. Benjamin. Avielle. Allison.

Jeb Bearer

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2013, 08:08:52 PM »
Thanks guys. I'm not a long hitter so it shouldn't be an issue; in fact, I quite enjoy short courses provided they're well-designed.

Mark, what is it about Mid Pines that you like so much?

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2013, 08:24:19 PM »
Jeb,

For me it's just about everything Pinehurst golf is supposed to be. A nice walk through the pines. Low key architecture. Interesting without being hard. Pine Needles I found to be not bad but it's...big, oversized even. A "championship" course.

If you do play Mid Pines be sure to hit the lemonade in the hotel at the turn.

End of March, huh? Nice spring break. Sink a putt for those of us chained to HS sports toonamint venues.
Charlotte. Daniel. Olivia. Josephine. Ana. Dylan. Madeleine. Catherine. Chase. Jesse. James. Grace. Emilie. Jack. Noah. Caroline. Jessica. Benjamin. Avielle. Allison.

Craig Van Egmond

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2013, 08:26:51 PM »
For the record, I would choose Mid Pines also.

I love the routing, the ease of walking and the greens.

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2013, 08:37:12 PM »
Oh, per your request, other options: Southern Pines. I like this Ross, too. Home venue of Golf's Most Beloved Figure. So it's got the "play where the stars play" factor.  :P

Tom Fagerli

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2013, 08:54:51 PM »
Do not be fooled by the scorecard of MP. It is a very long short course as many uphill shots and the greens sit "up " so they play a half club longer. I play both and score better at PN. You will love them both. MP in the spring when in bloom is gorgeous. With the redo MP will be a must play if it isn't already.

Tom ORourke

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2013, 10:09:43 PM »
I have played Mid Pines twice and shot a very good score, for me, both times. It has a number of shortish holes that are fun, and even one or two par 4s where a big hitter can get on, or close. It has a lot of the Ross touches, where you have a short shot into a green but know that missing your target by a few yards means you are dead, as your ball will roll off and end up in a tough spot. It is fun. Pine Needles is not a drive and wedge course. Longer, harder, a better test of your game, where Mid Pines is easier and more fun. I think Southern Pines and Mid Pines are similar in scope and challenge, whereas Pine Needles will wear out your hybrids. It is easy to see why the Ladies Open was there. It is just what your mood is in where you play. All three are good. I like SP the best of the three but I think I am in the minority on that.

Jason Thurman

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2013, 10:23:37 PM »
Assuming you're talking about March this year, there's no question for me. Mid Pines is in the middle of a renovation/restoration, while Pine Needles should be in its usual great shape. I'd avoid the course with the extra GUR. On top of that, spring can be pretty wet and Mid Pines has a reputation for having a few poorly draining areas.

Going further, Pine Needles is really sublime. It's a great routing with a ton of interesting holes and a lot of history too. It's really one of my favorite courses, and for all the talk about it being a big and difficult "championship" course, I tied my personal best score there too.
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

Joe_Tucholski

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2013, 10:40:14 PM »
It's weird no one mentioned the courses at the Pinehurst resort.  Is it because some of them are a given? 

During my Christmas/ New years trip I played Pine Needles and Mid Pines the same day.  It's not a bad day of golf.  Everyone has done a good job describing the differences in the courses.

Also played Dormie a few times and liked it more than Kapalua and Bandon Trails.  Another front page thread indicates Dormie is full public.  Definitely recommend it.  I also played some low cost golf through golfnow.

mike_beene

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2013, 12:17:48 AM »
Mid Pines is very good but if I had two rounds would play #2 and Pine Needles.If three rounds would add Mid Pines.If one round probably Pine Needles over #2 but either one has it's merits.

Sean_A

Re: Mid Pines or Pine Needles? New
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2013, 03:44:58 AM »
I would wait to play Mid-Pines until after the reno. 

Ciao
« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 05:56:09 PM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield & Hartlepool

Joe_Tucholski

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2013, 11:07:07 AM »

If it was me, I would check into Dormie Club first and probably Tobacco Road second, Southern Pines third and Keith Hills fourth and see which is offering decent value because the golf is over-priced in this neck of the woods. 

Ciao

As I said earlier I played Mid Pines at the beginning of the month.  The 6th hole was really the only hole I felt like play was impacted and it was closed.  Other holes had bunkers being worked on (mostly by hand) but it didn't really impact the round.  Obviously things change day to day but I have no regrets and it was pretty cool to see completed holes, partially completed holes and untouched holes.

Sean it's funny you call the golf overpriced.  In my mind the golf is some of the best value in the US.  I guess it's a matter of perspective (I've last lived in LA and DC).

Sean_A

« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2013, 04:16:38 AM »

If it was me, I would check into Dormie Club first and probably Tobacco Road second, Southern Pines third and Keith Hills fourth and see which is offering decent value because the golf is over-priced in this neck of the woods. 

Ciao

As I said earlier I played Mid Pines at the beginning of the month.  The 6th hole was really the only hole I felt like play was impacted and it was closed.  Other holes had bunkers being worked on (mostly by hand) but it didn't really impact the round.  Obviously things change day to day but I have no regrets and it was pretty cool to see completed holes, partially completed holes and untouched holes.

Sean it's funny you call the golf overpriced.  In my mind the golf is some of the best value in the US.  I guess it's a matter of perspective (I've last lived in LA and DC).

I tend to be in the NC area around Easter when prices are cranked up - not far off $200 for Mid-Pines.  Thats way too rich for a course of its quality.  Even S Pines is a bit pricey for what it is, but I would like to see it again as I am told there have been improvements.  Besides, the bar is a wild 70s deal (with prices to match) which no hard drinker can afford to skip.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield & Hartlepool

JR Potts

« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2013, 02:24:38 PM »
Admittedly, I've only played Mid-Pines once - but I didn't really get the adoration for the place.  I loved Pine Needles though.

I will give Mid-Pines another chance in an effort to discover something that I may have missed, but outside of that curiosity, I don't think I need to play it again.

Play Pine Needles.

Ted Sturges

« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2013, 02:32:13 PM »
Here is my personal Pinehurst recommended list:

1.  Pinehurst No. 2
2.  Pine Needles
3.  Mid Pines
4.  Tobacco Road
5.  Southern Pines Elks Club (home club of Golf's Most Beloved Figure)

If you had 3 or 4 days in the area, that would be my recommended list.  I also understand Dormie is quite good but have not yet played it.

TS

Brent Hutto

« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2013, 02:41:48 PM »
A local friend whose opinion I respect greatly (and a top-notch player) says he'd play Mid-Pines 9 rounds of 10 between it and Pine Needles. Maybe 10 out of 10 if it came to it. I do respect his opinion but just can't see it.

If Mid-Pines were in the same condition as Pine Needles fairway for fairway, bunker for bunker, green for green I'd say the fact that Mid-Pines is such a great old walk that maybe it compensates for the fact that the green complexes at Pine Needles are more interesting to me. Maybe. But that's giving a lot of credit to the compact routing.

In the conditions I've found the two courses in years past it's no contest. Wetter, softer, scruffier, less consistent greens all conspire to downgrade Mid-Pines in my estimation. Perhaps the re-do will put all that right.

But you've absolutely got to dodge the prime season green fees for Mid-Pines to make any sense at all in my book. Pine Needles is almost good enough to merit a $200-ish tab for an occasional treat. But it's a mighty fine course for about half that much in the off season when I've played there.

I'll also say that if I only had one or two rounds in the area I would play one of them at Tobacco Road for absolute certain. I could be happy with one round at the Road with a second at either Pine Needle or Dormie Club and leave quite satisfied I am sure. All three would be a treat and maybe Pine Needles or Southern Pines would squeeze in there as a fourth (although I'd rather have a replay at Tobacco Road than either).

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back