News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jimmy Muratt

Kinloch Golf Club in VA - my review
« on: July 15, 2003, 08:55:27 AM »
I had the privilege of playing Kinloch Golf Club last weekend, it is located just outside of Richmond, VA.  It was designed by Lester George and Vinny Giles (former US Amateur and British Amateur champion).  It is located on a great piece of rolling property set next to a 70 acre lake.  

First off, the condition of the course is incredible.  The greens were running about an 11 on the stimpmeter.  As mentioned on here before, the fairways are fairly wide but in order to be aggressive at all going into the greens, you need to favor a certain side of the fairway.  The rough was about 4"-5" but it was so dense and thick that hitting anything more than about a 7 iron was a risky proposition.  Occasionally you can get lucky and catch a flyer, but typically the ball settled down to the bottom.  

My favorite holes:

#2  Par 4  400 yards  This is a fantastic par 4 and one of my favorite holes on the course.  It has 3 fairway bunkers set on a diagonal in the middle of the fairway so it presents many options off of the tee.  The portion of the fairway to the left is slightly elevated so your second shot gives you a great look at the green which also also allows a run up shot from this angle.  From the fairway to the right of the bunkers you have an uphill shot that also has to carry a greenside bunker.  For the long hitter, you can also try to carry all of the fairway traps, it's about a 275 yard carry which can then also hit a little downslope and give you a little wedge into the green.  A great hole.

#4  Par 4  334 yards   A fun short par 4 that presents you with three options.  It has a creek running diagonally across the fairway so you can either play a 200 yard shot to the right of the creek which will leave you with about 130 in that has to flirt with the same creek that continues up past the green and also a greenside bunker.  A second option off the tee is to play about about a 230-250 yard shot to the left of the creek.  The green opens up from this angle so you can actually run the ball onto the green.  The third option from the tee is to take a driver and go for the green.  If you do this, you definitely want to favor the left side.

#7  Par 3  237 yards  A beautiful Par 3 that goes from one high point to another, across a valley and natural vegetation area.  The green has a false front and three bunkers protecting it.  It has a great setting in the trees.

#8  Par 4  437 yards  A spectacular Par 4.  It's a slightly blind tee shot over a hill that if you carry the hill, you can get another 30-40 yards of run.  It bends slightly to the left so don't leave your tee shot to the right in the thick rough.  The green is fronted on the left side by a pond but opens up from the right side, the perfect shot here would be a high draw which is made difficult by the downhill lie that you're hitting from.  

#9  Par 5  556 yards   This may be the Par 5 with the most options that I've ever played.  The corridor for this hole is huge, probably 150 yards wide.  Running down the middle of the hole is a creek and an environmental area.  There is a split fairway, the right side is the shorter way home but also the riskier tee shot.  The difficult shot here is the second shot as you have to be very precise where you want to lay the ball up.  

#11  Par 5  495 yards  This is my favorite Par 5 on the course.  The tee shot has cape aspect to it as you can choose to bite off as much of the creek as you like.  The green is definitely reachable but also a risky shot.  It's a horseshoe shaped green fronted by a very deep bunker and creek.

#14  Par 3  152 yards  A short par 3 with a great setting next to the lake.  A very difficult green with some large slopes and very tricky pin positions.  

#16  Par 4  471 yards  This is my favorite hole on the course.  A cape style par 4 that bends to the left around the lake.  The green opens up from the right side to allow a run up shot to a green that also slopes to the left.  The entire hole has a right to left feel to it which is made even better by the forest on the right and lake on the left.

#17  Par 3  217 yards  I think this is the best par 3 on the course.  It is all carry to a green that is protected by a false front that can feed your ball down into a creek if you leave it short.  A visually stimulating hole as you hit from high point to high point and you can see the large false front and creek fronting the green.  

The course was incredible, a definite thrill to play.  The practice facilities and clubhouse are also top notch.  Kinloch requires walking most of the time and my caddy was great.  This only enhances the experience.  

Scott_Burroughs

Re:Kinloch Golf Club in VA - my review
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2003, 09:37:03 AM »
Jimmy,

You forgot some other very good holes.

#6 #1 handicap from a hole only 400 yards long.  Lay-up tee shot, either short right in front of creek for longer uphill yet open approach, or longer left, with shorter uphill approach with tough angle.  Good fallaway back left portion of green dangerously close to steep "cliff".

#10 great long uphill par 4 with creek bisecting fairway diagonally.  Fun approach to big angled green.

#11 you didn't mention the double fairway option on this hole, divided by creek.  Right side tougher to hit but more downhill for longer drive.

#15 Terrific drivable par 4 with tree in middle of fairway.  Go left toward green with more danger in play.  Go safer right and make sure long enough to clear tree.

ChasLawler

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2003, 10:07:39 AM »
Redanman - Kinloch is 2 hours max from DC.

Thanks for the review Jimmy...

and Scott - I agree that the 6th is an excellent hole - probably my favorite on the course although, favoring a draw,  I actually feel like it plays easier from the left side of the fairway.

It looks like some construction is starting to take place around the club. It will be interesting to see how that turns out. The place is pretty nice just the way it is.

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2003, 10:17:14 AM »
I think the constuction is for onsite cottages for out-of-town members.

ChasLawler

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2003, 10:25:42 AM »
Yes - From what I understand they are building some on-site cottages, but I also believe they intend to build some houses around the course as well.

A fair amount of the land abutting the course doesn't belong to Kinloch and is pretty much open territory for a greedy developer.

Jimmy Muratt

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2003, 10:29:59 AM »
Yes, there are some homesites around the perimeter of the property.  I was told that some will be built by the lake across from the 19th hole (a great 170 yard par 3 over the lake to a wonderful green) and a few home bordering #2 I believe.  There will not be any homes within the perimeter of the course, however.

Jonathan Cummings

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2003, 09:48:58 PM »
Redanman - DONT MISS KINLOCH!  Call me for info.  J

Eric Pevoto

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2003, 10:17:10 AM »
I haven't played Kinloch, but did tour the facility last season.  They have a great staff (Caddiemaster, Jim Winn does a wonderful job) and the clubhouse is large but pretty low-key and very well done.  Their practice facilities and learning center may be the best I've ever seen.  The place is geared to the better player.

What little I saw of the golf course looked interesting.  Good width in places and good variety; outstanding conditioning.
There's no home cooking these days.  It's all microwave.Bill Kittleman

Golf doesn't work for those that don't know what golf can be...Mike Nuzzo

Daniel_Wexler

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2003, 04:47:58 AM »
Never have seen the place, and probably never will.  But my friend Norman Klaparda, just back from a 15-course swing up the East Coast, rated Kinloch second only to Oakmont on his trip.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back