News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Greg Taylor

Ta-Da! Stimpmeter Makeover - USGA announce a new stimpmeter
« on: January 26, 2013, 08:18:40 AM »
I enjoyed this in a trivial kind of way but doubtless someone will tell me it's actually an important development. I didn't know that sales are restricted either...! Anyway, enjoy:

One of golf's most obscure and eccentric accessories is getting an update.

After two years of internal development, the U.S. Golf Association this week is announcing a new Stimpmeter, used for measuring green speeds. Unlike the old version, a 36-inch-long aluminum bar painted green, the new model is a 36-inch-long aluminum bar painted dazzling "USGA blue."

The other major new wrinkle is a second hole. Now operators have a choice of two places to position the golf ball before lifting one end of the Stimpmeter and allowing the ball to roll down the unit's V-shaped channel and across the green. The distance the ball travels in feet, arithmetically adjusted in the case of the second hole, is the speed of the green. The fastest greens, such as at major championships, stimp at 12 feet or faster.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324539304578263953206840258.html

Marty Bonnar

Re: Ta-Da! Stimpmeter Makeover - USGA announce a new stimpmeter
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2013, 08:21:51 AM »
A hundred and ten dollars for a stick. Is there truly no limit to what golf folks will buy?
F
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

jeffwarne

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2013, 08:24:53 AM »
Six packs of the device will be available for Club Board members to accurately measure the object located between their thighs.....
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Jim Colton

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2013, 08:28:55 AM »
Jeff,

Oakmont would be a nice nickname.

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2013, 09:21:01 AM »
A hundred and ten dollars for a stick. Is there truly no limit to what golf folks will buy?
F

Limit? That's more like a floor.

http://www.pelzgolf.com/dave_pelz_golf_pro_shop/golf_equipment_pelzmeter.aspx
Charlotte. Daniel. Olivia. Josephine. Ana. Dylan. Madeleine. Catherine. Chase. Jesse. James. Grace. Emilie. Jack. Noah. Caroline. Jessica. Benjamin. Avielle. Allison.

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2013, 09:55:00 AM »
Six hundred bucks for an electronic stick. Now that's good value!
 8)
F.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Jim_Kennedy

"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Nigel Islam

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2013, 04:43:41 PM »
I am embarrassed to say I tried to make one of these one time, but not as embarrassed as I would be to spend $110. :-[

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2013, 04:55:16 PM »
Six packs of the device will be available for Club Board members to accurately measure the object located between their thighs.....

The kiss of death is when green committee members buy and use them.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2013, 05:13:50 PM »
The quickest way to test the honesty of a greensgroomer is to take out one of these yourself and try to find a green stimping 11 on a Sunday morning. People only lie to you on a consistent basis if they believe you are stupid.

Ed Brzezowski

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2013, 05:17:33 PM »
I wonder if the USGA is taking trade ins????
We have a pool and a pond, the pond would be good for you.

JMEvensky

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2013, 05:20:26 PM »

The quickest way to test the honesty of a greensgroomer is to take out one of these yourself and try to find a green stimping 11 on a Sunday morning. People only lie to you on a consistent basis if they believe you are stupid.

Might not be the greensgroomer's (?) fault. The imbicile Green Chairman at my place has decreed that stimp readings be posted in the Pro Shop--and he'd like the greens to run at least 11.

So,the Super tells him they're at least 11. No chance this putz can tell the difference.

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2013, 06:35:19 PM »

Might not be the greensgroomer's (?) fault. The imbicile Green Chairman at my place has decreed that stimp readings be posted in the Pro Shop--and he'd like the greens to run at least 11.

So,the Super tells him they're at least 11. No chance this putz can tell the difference.

Hopefully (for the super) the green chairman doesn't know about GCA.  ;)

"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

David_Elvins

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2013, 07:16:37 PM »
"Steven Quintavalla, a longtime senior research engineer at the USGA labs, was looking for better ways to quantify how balls struck with drivers and other long clubs bounce and roll out on fairways. Experiments with an extra-long Stimpmeter suitable for use on higher fairway turf..."

oh lord, do you get 50% off the price of a fairway stimpmeter with the purchase of two regular stimpmeters? 
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Mike_Trenham

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2013, 07:42:57 PM »
When you stimpmeter a fairway what is the protocol, three times for a draw and three times for a fade?
Proud member of a Doak 3.

Doug Siebert

Fairway stimpmeter
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2013, 01:50:52 AM »
This fairway stimpmeter might be a good thing.  If it really does take bounce into account it'll help push F&F and make supers gun shy about watering the fairway too much.  Can we get a version 3.0 stimpmeter for the greens that takes firmness of the green into account while we're at it?
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2013, 08:37:40 AM »
What we haven't discussed and is the most disturbing aspect of Stimpmeter 2.0: the second hole that allows measurement in half the area of the standard hole.

Classic greens (that haven't been flattened), with their undulations designed for slower speeds, have been made so fast that no flat spots exist long enough to enable measurement. So now the green speeds can be measured -- and presumably maintained or sped up.

As Faulkner said, the past isn't dead. It's not even past: use new Stimp hole -> speed up greens -> members lament "unfair" greens -> flatten greens.

>:(
Charlotte. Daniel. Olivia. Josephine. Ana. Dylan. Madeleine. Catherine. Chase. Jesse. James. Grace. Emilie. Jack. Noah. Caroline. Jessica. Benjamin. Avielle. Allison.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2013, 11:31:52 AM »
They should've banned all such devices and struck the tern from all writings and reference. So let it be written.

That would be good for the sport.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back