News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_A

Re: Dormant Bent Greens - Damage from winter play?
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2013, 08:01:50 PM »
I think molly coddling greens in the name of optimum conditions in the prime season of three months can be a bit short sighted for courses that can be played nearly anytime of year. Sure, staying on greens through the year (and before folks go nuts - I mean within reason) will likely mean the conditions won't be as good in the prime time, but isn't this a reasonable trade-off for the hope of golf year round?  I also think that is a natural control on wear and tear because many members won't play much in winter anyway.  I am lucky to belong to a club which doesn't treat its greens as if they were fine jewels.  We go out in frost.  n fact we hold comps in frost.  I am sure some damage occurs, but nothing that I ever noticed as a problem so long as folks are expecting stupidly perfect greens.  Just today I played and the greens were awesome after several inches of snow and lord knows how much rain. 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2013, 06:22:32 PM »
At the Cricket Club our Director of Grounds believes that if golfers are going to play they deserve the best conditions possible, regardless of the time of year.  He will mow and/or roll greens in the dead of winter if the opportunity allows. It's not uncommon for the greens to roll at 11 or 12 in the middle of winter and it sure is nice when players walk off the course commenting that they can't believe how good the conditions are mid-winter.  He's one of the best in the country and we trust that if it was going to be a problem he wouldn't do what he does.

Dan was named Superintendent of Year today! Congrats!
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2013, 09:49:16 PM »

I think molly coddling greens in the name of optimum conditions in the prime season of three months can be a bit short sighted for courses that can be played nearly anytime of year.

I think you'll find that prime season in the NY area is from April to November, hardly 3 months.

You'll also find very little in the way of play in December, January and February and not just because of the temperature.
Drainage absent ideal temperatures for evaporation lead to wet to very wet conditions when there's been alot of snow/rain.

Why diminish the quality of the playing surface for many, to accomodate the needs of a few ?

Sure, staying on greens through the year (and before folks go nuts - I mean within reason) will likely mean the conditions won't be as good in the prime time, but isn't this a reasonable trade-off for the hope of golf year round? 

It's not just prime time, it's the entire Spring season as well

I also think that is a natural control on wear and tear because many members won't play much in winter anyway. 

But, the damage they can do is exponentially greater.
And, the damage that Mother Nature can do can impact conditions for years.
A few years ago, Ice melt and ice burn ruined many greens for close to two seasons.
Why risk that for a few golfers ?  There's no upside.

I am lucky to belong to a club which doesn't treat its greens as if they were fine jewels.  We go out in frost.  n fact we hold comps in frost. 

You may have soil conditions that are resiliant, that can recover from frost, most clubs don't.

As to treating greens as fine jewels, what did Donald Ross say about them ?

I am sure some damage occurs, but nothing that I ever noticed as a problem so long as folks are expecting stupidly perfect greens. 

Then you don't have much experience with bad weather in the Northeast, in the winter, on golf courses

Just today I played and the greens were awesome after several inches of snow and lord knows how much rain. 

Try that in Buffalo, NY, Boston, MA, Westchester, NY or Easton, PA.
It doesn't work, you're living in a bubble.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back