News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

noonan

Torrey Pines #7 North Course
« on: January 24, 2013, 09:52:32 PM »
http://www.torreypinesgolfstore.com/graphics/coursepic.jpg

I am sure these trees are significant in some way - however if they were removed - the view I seen on TV would be a terrific skyline green  - It appeared that these trees would have been the only thing to give the player a clue as to how far their approach would have been

The above was only decent pic I could find

Apology if this has been discussed before

Matthew Essig

Re: Torrey Pines #7 North Course
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2013, 09:56:48 PM »
Wonder if the trees along the entire left side of the hole will still be there after Philly's renovation.
"Good GCA should offer an interesting golfing challenge to the golfer not a difficult golfing challenge." Jon Wiggett

Brian Finn

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2013, 11:46:25 PM »
Jerry,

I'd say you are spot on.  The second shot plays significantly uphill, and even from the short distances from which the pros play their approach, the green and beyond cannot be seen.  Even with those trees present, it is a tough shot to judge well.  If nothing else, enough doubt creeps in to allow for either a slight mis-hit into the front bunker, or a well struck ball to the back of the green, leaving a slippery downhill putt. 

New for '24: Monifieth x2, Montrose x2, Panmure, Carnoustie x3, Scotscraig, Kingsbarns, Elie, Dumbarnie, Lundin, Belvedere, The Loop x2, Forest Dunes, Arcadia Bluffs x2, Kapalua Plantation, Windsong Farm, Minikahda...

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2013, 12:25:01 PM »
Jerry,

These are Torrey Pine trees which only grow in two places on this earth: the Torrey Pines State Preserve and one of the Channel Islands off the coast of Santa Barbara. I seriously doubt that even Phil willl be given permission to remove them. They could be transplanted, but that would be a very expensive undertaking. The entire North course project is only budgeted for $7MM and most of that is going to the general contractor. Has he budgeted $1MM for tree relocation? Highly doubtful!
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2013, 12:44:48 PM »
They help stabilize the top of the cliff.

Matthew Rose

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2013, 03:20:47 PM »
Anyone think the North Course in general is just more interesting?

It looks that way on TV, at least the front nine does anyway. #6 and #7 look really fun to play.
American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

Matthew Petersen

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2013, 03:36:33 PM »
Anyone think the North Course in general is just more interesting?

It looks that way on TV, at least the front nine does anyway. #6 and #7 look really fun to play.

I don't really think so. On both courses, the holes near the cliffs tend to have some interest, the holes away have very little. I guess the North might have a few more holes near the cliffs, which helps. But the holes away from the cliffs on the North are particularly bland IMO, worse than most of the inland holes on the South.

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2013, 04:41:00 PM »
I completely dissagree with that assessment! The reason the South is panned so much is that every hole other than 6 & 7 are dead straight. The only topography of note is the hill that's short of the par 5 13th green. The North on the other hand has 5 dogleg holes and much greater use of local topography; the stretch from 5 through 7 has some serious hills involved. Don't forget the site was originally an Army Fort, Camp Calin and all the microundulations were surely bulldozed to support their efforts. The South is just a hard golf course; a proving ground for 310 yard drives and 200 yard 6 irons. The greens are as flat as a pancake. Just watch the Pros try to figure out the greens on the North. Phil was absolutely flummoxed on the greens yesterday; no wonder he wants to blow them up!!!
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

J Cabarcos

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2013, 04:41:56 PM »
The North Course is way more scenic and enjoyable to play unless you come from the Carnoustie School of Sadistic Golf.  Even the locals in La Jolla, CA acknowledge that according to number of rounds per year, the North gets most local play than the wicked sister South Course.  And, why wouldn't it?  It has more holes along the Pacific, more elevation changes and fewer monotonous inland holes.  The South course is a grinding slog of long dogleg holes that only occasionally mixes in a couple coastal holes.  Overall, it disappoints with what I would call an unacceptable stretch of holes along the side of office building complex.  IMO This is not something one travels from out of town to play. 

That being said, the South Course still retains a lofty status which lures the out of towner with vision of a tiger limping in their head.  I suggest it is better to take the counsel of the locals and play the North instead and have a much more enjoyable round.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back