News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Gib_Papazian

Re: Bay Area golf
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2013, 04:08:26 PM »
Bill,

I like DeLaveaga too, but if you're going to drive clear over Highway 17, you might as well take the first turnoff to Pasatiempo.

Boulder Creek is terrific fun, but a long, windy drive through the redwoods to get there. I'm a fan of the par 65 course, but look at it more as a day trip of golf and sightseeing. Great fun to play with the wife or girlfriend though.

I've not had a look at what changes that idiot Pro(phylactic) inflicted on Peacock Gap. I thought Forrest did a very good job there and hope most of the personality and quirk were left intact. Filling in the washtub green makes me want to shriek, particularly because it was the best putting surface on the golf course. Still, it is in a lovely spot and worth a special trip from San Francisco.

Harding Park is just the Olympic Club with its brains removed - nothing more than a reasonably (and overpriced) enjoyable parkland stroll with five nice holes and 13 mediocre, milquetoast efforts with absolutely no surprise or interesting detail work.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 07:55:35 AM by Gib Papazian »

Bill_McBride

« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2013, 05:36:49 PM »

I've not had a look at what changes that idiot the Pro(phylactic) inflicted on Peacock Gap. I thought Forrest did a very good job there and hope most of the personality and quirk were left intact. Filling in the washtub green makes me want to shriek, particularly because it was the best putting surface on the golf course. Still, it is in a lovely spot and worth a special trip from San Francisco.

I'm glad to hear your positive comments on Peacock Gap, which I found completely insipid when I played there in the '70's.  I went back a couple of years ago with Peter Pittock and Kyle Henderson and Kyle's dad and had a ball trying to negotiate those old and crazy greens!   If by the "washtub green" you mean #10, Kyle's dad will be disappointed, he made an ace, I think by bouncing a shot off the front left bunker slope!

There were a lot of negative comments about Forrest's work at Peacock, which I attributed to people who just didn't get it.  Jazzing up the greens was the only way to inject a sense of humor and adventure into an otherwise soporific course.  I'm sorry to hear the Philistines had their way with those greens.   

Nigel Islam

« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2013, 10:15:40 AM »
Thanks for all the ideas! It's always great to have options to choose from.

Jordan Standefer

« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2014, 10:02:21 AM »
Bump because I'm heading up to the Bay this weekend.

With Harding Park still redoing their greens and Half Moon Bay apparently aerating, it looks like I found the right thread for suggestions.

If anyone would like to catch up for a game on either Sunday (3/2) or Monday (3/3), let me know.  I'll probably head out to the Presidio.

David_Tepper

« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2014, 10:27:30 AM »
Jordan -

Be aware the Presidio is hosting the SF City Championship over the next two weekends. This coming weekend the course will be tied up till mid-day or so. I would definitely check with the golf shop regarding tee times before heading out there.

Options for public golf are the Metropolitan GL by the Oakland Airport, San Geronimo in Marin County and Rooster Run in Petaluma.

DT

Jordan Standefer

« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2014, 10:52:38 AM »
David,

Thanks for the heads up.  I will be staying in Oakland, so I'll look into Metropolitan and Monarch Bay.

Tim Leahy

« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2014, 04:28:11 PM »
Dont forget Lake Chabot!
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Jim Nugent

« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2014, 04:47:45 PM »
Check out Gleneagles, in southern SF.  A nine-hole course with two sets of sometimes very different tees.  Fun and surprisingly challenging when the wind kicks up. 

Alex Miller

« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2014, 07:29:33 PM »
Check out Gleneagles, in southern SF.  A nine-hole course with two sets of sometimes very different tees.  Fun and surprisingly challenging when the wind kicks up. 

Agreed. Also Lincoln Park is fun albeit very quirky.

David_Tepper

« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2014, 09:23:33 PM »
Alex -

Lincoln Park is also hosting the SF City Championship this coming weekend.

DT 

Jordan Standefer

« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2014, 11:54:44 PM »
Dont forget Lake Chabot!

A 6000 yard course that opens with the #1 handicap hole, has back-to-back par 5s, and ends with a par 6.  Am I reading that right?  Color me intrigued...

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2014, 12:27:33 AM »
Dont forget Lake Chabot!

A 6000 yard course that opens with the #1 handicap hole, has back-to-back par 5s, and ends with a par 6.  Am I reading that right?  Color me intrigued...

Jordan, Chabot and most other courses in the area will be soggy on Saturday. It has been (thankfully) raining hard today and expected to keep it up through the weekend.  Your best bet for playability is Metropolitan, right by the Oakland airport.
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

Mitch Hantman

« Reply #37 on: February 27, 2014, 07:50:10 AM »
David T,

Good luck this week in the SF City Championship!

Jordan Standefer

« Reply #38 on: March 02, 2014, 02:32:31 PM »
Your best bet for playability is Metropolitan, right by the Oakland airport.

Thanks for your help, guys.  Played Metro this morning and had an enjoyable time.  Avoided the rain until hole 13, and even then it wasn't a downpour.  Considering all the rain we've had recently, the course held up nicely.

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #39 on: March 02, 2014, 02:43:04 PM »

Thanks for your help, guys.  Played Metro this morning and had an enjoyable time.  Avoided the rain until hole 13, and even then it wasn't a downpour.  Considering all the rain we've had recently, the course held up nicely.

What did you think of Metro?

It's a Fred Bliss design and unfortunately ran out of money during construction so the shaping and finishing is kind of shoddy. It's always in mediocre condition.  Regardless the back nine has a number of really interesting holes.

Jordan Standefer

« Reply #40 on: March 02, 2014, 03:12:44 PM »

What did you think of Metro?

It's a Fred Bliss design and unfortunately ran out of money during construction so the shaping and finishing is kind of shoddy. It's always in mediocre condition.  Regardless the back nine has a number of really interesting holes.

I'm definitely glad I played it.  There were some areas that were ground under repair due to resodding, but I was able to look past that.  I liked that it was wide open and exposed to the wind, which made for some interesting approaches.  Nice, big greens with fair recovery areas.  As I mentioned earlier, the course also seems to deal with rain quite well.

Three of the par 3s played almost identical for me--helping crosswind left to right, front pin position, similar yardage-- so they kind of blended together.

Overall, I thought it was great value (even for a non-resident), although I haven't played a lot in the area to compare.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back