News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Greg Tallman

With all of the news about putting courses and our plans to build one at some point (??) I wanted to get everyone's take on tyhe operation of a top notch putting course. I have not seen anything on how MK intends to handle his behemoth or what Pinehurst does for their guests / non-guests so what would your usage be?

1. I would use it extensively so long as it is world class and there is no additional charge

2. I would use it so long as it was world class and there was a reasonable charge of (INSERT AMOUNT)

3. Not really my thing but might be a great way to get the family involved in the golf aspect of a Cabo vacation. If kids were free I would pay for myself and my spouse.

4. If it's free I am there, If not count me out.

please feel free to add an option and/or elaborate your thoughts on the concept and question.

« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 05:48:08 PM by Greg Tallman »

Tom_Doak

Re: Putting Course
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2013, 05:15:32 PM »
The one in St. Andrews is the only one I've seen that charges people and stays busy.  Even then, it's a token charge and it only covers the cost of maintenance because it's Scottish-style low maintenance.  [It MIGHT stimp at 7, tops.]

Does the new one at Pinehurst charge people?

Matthew Petersen

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2013, 05:17:44 PM »
With all of the news about putting courses and our plans to build one at some point (??) I wanted to get everyone's take on tyhe operation of a top notch putting course. I have not seen anything on how MK intends to handle his behemoth or what Pinehurst does for their guests / non-guests so what would your usage be?

1. I would use it extensively so long as it is world class and there is no additional charge

2. I would use it so long as it was world class and there was a reasonable charge of (INSERT AMOUNT)

3. Not really my thing but might be a great way to get the family involved in the golf aspect of a Cabo vacation. If kids were free I would pay for myself and my spouse.

please feel free to add an option and/or elaborate your thoughts on the concept and question.

I enjoyed one that they have at Kapalua, playing it once with my Dad and on another trip with my wife.

I think in a resort setting, the best plan is--free to resort guests, or other guests of the course on day of play, and available with a small fee to anyone else/

Greg Tallman

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2013, 05:18:36 PM »
The one in St. Andrews is the only one I've seen that charges people and stays busy.  Even then, it's a token charge and it only covers the cost of maintenance because it's Scottish-style low maintenance.  [It MIGHT stimp at 7, tops.]

I got the impression that this was the plan. Perhaps guests of the hotel no but "outside guests" I believe so.

I assume MK will charge SOMETHING... that is not exaclty a small undertaking.

Need a hand? Could be valuable experience  ;)

Alex Miller

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2013, 05:18:50 PM »

I recall reading that it will charge people, but will be free for those play #2.

Could this putting course have an additional couple holes to practice on? I think if you put a box out that asked for a donation and suggested $1 then that may work.

Howard Riefs

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2013, 05:22:11 PM »

According to Pinehurst's website:

Play is free to resort guests.

http://www.pinehurst.com/thistle-dhu.php

"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2013, 07:26:59 PM »
I gladly paid to play the Himalaya's - I wish there was one nearby
My favorite eclectic putting course was the White water putting course at Horseshoe Bay outside Austin - mostly for the exotic birds on many of the holes - there is a charge for this one - it was an expensive build - the Trump of putting courses
Thistle Due is too small to charge anyone or have a large number of players - I thought it was tiny

Getting a youngster or oldster interested in playing is worth the investment of building a fun one
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Ben Sims

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2013, 07:39:15 PM »
Thistle Due is around 15000sqft, is that right?  As a comparison, #8 at Old Mac is somewhere near 20000 I think.  I would hope that a resort of Bandon's stature would build something of great substance.  So I Agee with Mike N, bigger is better.

Maybe someone with the requisite skills could get an aerial of the Himalayas and measure how large it is. 

Matthew Petersen

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2013, 09:49:20 PM »
It's not a perfect rectangle, but as a very rough estimate 'd say Himalayas is around 110,000 sq. ft.

Joe_Tucholski

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2013, 10:21:45 PM »

When my wife and I were in pinehurst over Christmas and the new year we played the putting course a number of times.  We never paid and were never asked to pay.  That being said we knew we had the right to utilize the course.  Similar statements could be said for the rest of the practice facilities at pinehurst.  The starter for #4 is right next to the course so it could be the starters responsibility to monitor the course but there is a scorecard box right next to the putting course.  Half the times we played and were on the green by ourselves the other half kids were playing as well (during the Donald Ross jr tournament).

In response to your question, at pinehurst my wife and I will play the putting course 2-3 times a week when visiting, usually right before dinner.  That is because it is free and we can walk over.  If there was a charge of $5 or more we wouldn't ever play it.  Any other charge we would probably play once every 1-2 weeks.

I didn't even know Kapalua had a putting course and wouldn't have played it if I did know about, unless I was staying at the resort and it was under $5 for two people.  Then we'd probably give it a try once.

From my one trip to bandon I wouldn't have played the putting course and I did stay at the resort. I went and played 3 rounds a day and wasn't up for anything else but eat and sleep.  I also don't plan to play the preserve on my next trip either.

For me you guys are like Kapalua.

Ben Sims

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2013, 10:37:03 PM »
Joe,

With respect, I don't think you're the demographic that the resort is interested in for a putting course.  36-54 hole/day kind of guys aren't where the bread is buttered with regard to The Preserve or this new idea for a Himalayas style putting course.  Mr. Keiser--more and more--is making it quite clear through diligent action that he intends for Bandon to be America's St. Andrews. His intentions are easily deciphered in this announcement and in his idea for a Bandon Muni project. My theory is that the addition of The Preserve, Bandon Muni, or the PAC Dunes putting course isn't designed to attract any one demographic. I think it's that he wants to attract EVERY demographic and make them feel comfortable at Bandon.

Joe_Tucholski

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2013, 11:23:23 PM »
Joe,

With respect, I don't think you're the demographic that the resort is interested in for a putting course.  36-54 hole/day kind of guys aren't where the bread is buttered with regard to The Preserve or this new idea for a Himalayas style putting course.  Mr. Keiser--more and more--is making it quite clear through diligent action that he intends for Bandon to be America's St. Andrews. His intentions are easily deciphered in this announcement and in his idea for a Bandon Muni project. My theory is that the addition of The Preserve, Bandon Muni, or the PAC Dunes putting course isn't designed to attract any one demographic. I think it's that he wants to attract EVERY demographic and make them feel comfortable at Bandon.

I guess I think of the Pinehurst area as the St Andrews of America and think of Bandon as a course like Cruden Bay (If your visiting it's all about the golf).  That being said there haven't been really bad decisions at Bandon and you're right it does look like that's the model he's going for...I think it will be tough in the near term without real history.

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2013, 02:09:38 AM »
Martis Camp and Desert Highlands have fabulous putting courses. I'm told DH actually uses the results of a putting contest to seed some of their tournaments on the regulation golf course. Finding template holes on the Ballyneal bocce course is also a treat. I'm sure a resort could charge a nominal fee for a quality putting course -- the Peter Hay par 3 course at Pebble Beach is hardly bigger than many practice ranges, after all.

The Himalayas is a little slice of heaven in the home of golf. As for Sir Doak's estimation of a 7 on the stimp, in my experience the grass is significantly taller in the troughs than on the peaks, so the stimp is more of a range from 3-10.
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2013, 07:41:35 AM »

I'd be very surprised if it got anywhere near 7 to be honest (going on some greens on great links course I know that are at 7 or 8 max).

I always admired the job of the ladies putting green attendant. He sits and collects money through the day (the boring part) then goes out and mows it in the evening (the OK part) before routing an entirely different course for the next day (the good part).

Jud_T

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2013, 08:05:40 AM »
Willow Hill outside Chicago has an 18 hole putting course.  They charge $5 to play it, or at least they used to.  The kids used to love it and it was a nice way to get them out.
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Bill Crane

« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2013, 01:40:54 PM »
An additional reason to stop by USGA Golf House and Museum in Liberty Corner (Bernardsville) NJ is the 16,000 square foot Pynes putting course designed by none other than Gil Hanse.  I have not seen a mention of the course on GCA.com.

I stopped by the USGA in late November and it really is a fun course to go around a few times.  There is a charge of $5 to play the course, and the USGA gives you a choice of replica balls to play with and keep, and there are several models of replica hickory shafted putters to borrower or purchase including one of Calamity Jane.

The course is named in honor of Percy R Pyne III and Evelyn Pyne who owned the estate that part of the USGA grounds are located on.  I believe Mr. Pyne is the son of Percy R. Pyne II, one of the founders of our club -  Springdale Golf Club  in Princeton,NJ,  (originally known as Princeton Golf Club), who was also the third Intercollegiate Golf Champion in 1899 while attending Princeton.

Here is a link to information at the USGA website:http://www.usgamuseum.com/visit_museum/putting_course/

WmFlynnfan

Yancey_Beamer

« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2013, 01:53:46 PM »
Great putting course at The Lodge on Lanai.Free.

Jason Topp

« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2013, 09:40:26 PM »
Greg - I would rather see a good green for pitching, chipping and bunker practice.  Do you have enough room for that? 

Greg Tallman

« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2013, 10:13:27 PM »
Greg - I would rather see a good green for pitching, chipping and bunker practice.  Do you have enough room for that? 

Plan to add one near first tee of each course though I will be proposing a bit more elaborate short game area near Desert #1. We have very nice short game area at the top end of the practice facility though the area is limited to instruction and member use.

Jonathan Davison

« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2013, 09:57:52 AM »
Here is a picture from the putting course we built at Prague City Golf Club, Czech Republic.
Approx 1500m2 with big sweeping contours, 18 holes and I think a small cost to play.

We built it using the cheapest sand we could find and seeded it out with a fescue bent mix.

Greg Tallman

« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2013, 11:07:05 AM »
Here is a picture from the putting course we built at Prague City Golf Club, Czech Republic.
Approx 1500m2 with big sweeping contours, 18 holes and I think a small cost to play.

We built it using the cheapest sand we could find and seeded it out with a fescue bent mix.

Looks great Jonathon and to think the Bandon course will be 8x that... wow.

Mike Benham

« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2013, 05:50:39 PM »

In the pleasant temperatures of Cabo, a well stocked liquor and taco bar would increase happy hour rounds ...
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Greg Tallman

« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2013, 05:59:02 PM »

In the pleasant temperatures of Cabo, a well stocked liquor and taco bar would increase happy hour rounds ...

WAAAAAAY ahead of you on that  ;) - putting course would have its own "half way house"

Jud_T

« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2013, 07:08:40 AM »
A putting course with cuban cigars and a large selection of anejo tequilas?  Count me in!  It would also make a great playoff setting for an event.  You might even get better betting action on the putting course than on the big course:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKsZhOK7TLQ

Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Greg Tallman

« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2013, 01:21:39 PM »
A putting course with cuban cigars and a large selection of anejo tequilas?  Count me in!  It would also make a great playoff setting for an event.  You might even get better betting action on the putting course than on the big course:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKsZhOK7TLQ

You're on the right track though have to make it family friendly as well. Time of day will dictate when the tequila nd cigar crowd domintae the turf I suspect.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back