News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bill_McBride

Re: King's Putter May 3-5
« Reply #125 on: May 06, 2013, 09:59:25 PM »
It's interesting to hear Garland complain of sandbagging. 

Great round Sir Peter of Pinot!   ;D

Garland Bayley

« Reply #126 on: May 06, 2013, 10:11:15 PM »
I'm wonder what folks here think about a "about" 12 handicapper who shoots 4 over 76 in a two to three club wind at Santa Maria CC. He may be the "ringer" that helped north dominate south this year.

I am quite specifically a USGA 12.6 handicap which grades out to a course handicap 14 or 15 on the courses we played. I was one of the few that gave notice of my current hdcp to the organizers.
It was by far the best ball striking rond I've had this century, and in trying conditions to boot. Trees had blown over, downed branches were everywhere plus all the eucalyptus detrirus. Plus it was on perfect poa greens, which is what I have played on for decades in Oregon. You didn't mention my tee shot on the 16th, which was a long par three into the wind. My tighening up back led to a weak pull which bounced on the cart path, over the OB fence, off the side of some railroad cars, back in bounds, onto the cart path before stopping just short of the greenside bunker. A pitch onto the green stopped on a dime, which was about 30 feet short of the hole. The putt was perfect. Nor did you mention the tree that materialized in the middle of the 6th fairway which cost me a couple of strokes, I could have been in the net 50s.I was running on fumes by 15 and thought about driving in and taking net bogeys on the last four. Glad I didn't and glad I had stellar witnesses.

I will talk to the handicap chairman of my club when I return from vacation.

Unfortunately I was not a witness to your round as I was in the other group. This was just my way of saying you did good. You know I have "quite a way with words".
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Patrick Kiser

« Reply #127 on: May 07, 2013, 07:17:10 PM »
Normally at a KP ... there's talk of the following year's venue.

Alas, I can't recall any such discussion taking place.

So where and who's going to handle next year's event?

Seeing how NorCal technically hosted this year, it would naturally mean a return to SoCal.  Naturally...

So where have we not been to in a while that might make for a good venue.

I'll throw out a return to the very 1st KP: Barona!

If the North were to host again, on the way back to SF Gib and I discussed a little.  Sea Ranch surfaced up with Northwood.  So who knows...
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 05:06:47 PM by Patrick Kiser »
“One natural hazard, however, which is more
or less of a nuisance, is water. Water hazards
absolutely prohibit the recovery shot, perhaps
the best shot in the game.” —William Flynn, golf
course architect

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #128 on: May 08, 2013, 12:13:57 AM »
I'd be up for a replay of Barona Ceek. The only comment I heard about future sites was someplace not in the Pacific Time Zone.

I am going to drop emal thanks to the GMs at SLOCC and SMCC 

Garland Bayley

« Reply #129 on: May 08, 2013, 10:26:19 AM »
Alex was interested in this, and Barona would be right up his alley.

If you count this as a north hosting this year, then south is due to host twice.

I thought I was going to a south hosted event this year as Bob travels north to my place in alternate years and I travel south to his place in south hosted years.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Alex Miller

« Reply #130 on: May 08, 2013, 10:38:04 AM »
Alex was interested in this, and Barona would be right up his alley.

If you count this as a north hosting this year, then south is due to host twice.

I thought I was going to a south hosted event this year as Bob travels north to my place in alternate years and I travel south to his place in south hosted years.

Centered around say, Del Mar, we could do Barona, San Clemente, Coronado, and SDCC and Rancho Santa Fe (access permitted).

Given the limited nature of the south in both geography and courses, I am not opposed to saying this year was a co-hosted event in order to open up possibilities for next year. Of course a huge thanks is due to the north's Dan King who was in fact the host, and one we couldn't have asked more from!

Garland Bayley

« Reply #131 on: May 08, 2013, 02:51:41 PM »
I am 19.8. Bob is still 22.5. He beat me today, so watch out! ;)

You two are shameless.  

Pete beat Bob at KP. So why can't you? Vanity? Especially since Bob played you with a 20.5.

Dan King

« Reply #132 on: May 08, 2013, 03:05:01 PM »
Alex Miller writes:
Of course a huge thanks is due to the north's Dan King who was in fact the host, and one we couldn't have asked more from!

I could have helped my team out a bit more. My goal this summer is to get my game into condition for public display.

If anyone wants to write a little review for my house in Cayucos (or in the future rent it):
http://www.vrbo.com/439461

Cheers,
Dan King
Babies don't need a vacation, but I still see them at the beach... it pisses me off! I'll go over to a little baby and say 'What are you doing here? You haven't worked a day in your life!'
 --Steven Wright

« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 03:21:17 PM by Dan King »

Bill_McBride

« Reply #133 on: May 08, 2013, 03:12:43 PM »

You two are shameless.  

Pete beat Bob at KP. So why can't you? Vanity? Especially since Bob played you with a 20.5.

It was a four ball match.  Obviously my partner let me down!

Garland Bayley

« Reply #134 on: May 08, 2013, 03:13:28 PM »
GJ Bailey writes:
Of course a huge thanks is due to the north's Dan King who was in fact the host, and one we couldn't have asked more from!

I could have helped my team out a bit more. My goal this summer is to get my game into condition for public display.

If anyone wants to write a little review for my house in Cayucos (or in the future rent it):
http://www.vrbo.com/439461

Cheers,
Dan King
Babies don't need a vacation, but I still see them at the beach... it pisses me off! I'll go over to a little baby and say 'What are you doing here? You haven't worked a day in your life!'
 --Steven Wright

I know I have accused Alex of plagiarizing me in the past, but it was actually him that wrote those thanks to Dan.

Dan King

« Reply #135 on: May 08, 2013, 03:23:48 PM »
GJ Bailey writes:
I know I have accused Alex of plagiarizing me in the past, but it was actually him that wrote those thanks to Dan.

Oops, fixed.

Cheers,
Dan King
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
 --Douglas Adams

Garland Bayley

« Reply #136 on: May 08, 2013, 05:21:51 PM »

You two are shameless.  

Isn't that what we always hear about the so-called vanity handicaps at your club?
How come you announce before every KP that my handicap is X, but I can't play to it?

Bill_McBride

« Reply #137 on: May 08, 2013, 06:22:45 PM »

You two are shameless.  

Isn't that what we always hear about the so-called vanity handicaps at your club?
How come you announce before every KP that my handicap is X, but I can't play to it?

You know nothing about my club or the handicaps of our members.

Actually I always recall your round at Ojai and think you play BETTER than your handicap.  I must bring out the best in you, except perhaps for manners.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #138 on: May 08, 2013, 06:29:38 PM »

I know you have posted complaints about being paired with vanity handicaps in matches there.

Actually I always recall your round at Ojai and think you play BETTER than your handicap.  I must bring out the best in you, except perhaps for manners.

David Ober and I went over my scores at Ojai, and he agreed that I did NOT play BETTER than my handicap. I had a few good holes and you have behaved badly about it ever since.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #139 on: May 08, 2013, 07:33:09 PM »

I know you have posted complaints about being paired with vanity handicaps in matches there.

David Ober and I went over my scores at Ojai, and he agreed that I did NOT play BETTER than my handicap. I had a few good holes and you have behaved badly about it ever since.

That's because you have the kind of sense of humor where you only laugh at your own jokes and jibes. 

And using green ink doesn't make you as funny as Mucci either. 

Garland Bayley

« Reply #140 on: May 08, 2013, 07:37:31 PM »

That's because you have the kind of sense of humor where you only laugh at your own jokes and jibes. 

And using green ink doesn't make you as funny as Mucci either. 

No attempt at being funny there. The Mucci method of posting is the efficient way to address the individual statements of a post you are answering. My school colors silver and gold simply don't show up very well, so I'm stuck being a virtual Irish with the green.

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #141 on: May 08, 2013, 08:18:06 PM »
I have never met Dan King, and he seems like a great guy. He has "Huntley" status from all reports.

Running GCA events takes alot of time and effort.

Please take your pissing match to IM, and post some more pictures of my West Coast friends.

Thanks

Garland Bayley

« Reply #142 on: May 08, 2013, 08:39:45 PM »

Post round drinks and beard pulling...

Left to right, Pete P, Dan K, my friend Bob (back turned to camera), Gib P, Rich G, Alex M, Tim L, Tom H, me, Pete L, Alex S.

Saturday night dinner at Hoppe's in Cayunos:

Rich G, Alex S, Gib P, Neal M, Pete L, Tim L, Patrick K, Pete P, Alex M, me, my friend Bob, Dan K

For the most part we played fast and didn't take many pictures. It seems Patrick was the only one equiped to take pictures under those conditions.

Dan King

« Reply #143 on: May 08, 2013, 09:12:36 PM »
Mike Sweeney writes:
I have never met Dan King, and he seems like a great guy. He has "Huntley" status from all reports.

That is far and away the greatest compliment I have ever received. Once you meet me you will discover how untrue it is, but still something worth squirreling away.

Mr. Huntley left me a voice mail prior to the weekend wishing us all a good time. He was missed.

Running GCA events takes alot of time and effort.

Mostly I organized it in my usual unorganized way. Made some tee-times, made sure nobody was staying at the Beach House, changed the tee-times, and drove south. I did a terrible job organizing any sort of competition, and was hoping it would just turn into a bearding contest (which I won, despite gallant efforts from Joe and Rihc.

I did pick the Friday night festivities -- but got the name of the restaurant wrong when telling people where to meet.

Cheers,
Dan King
I can live for two months on a good compliment.
 --Mark Twain
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 09:25:29 PM by Dan King »

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #144 on: May 08, 2013, 09:25:34 PM »
Normally at a KP ... there's talk of the following year's venue.

I'll throw out a return to the very 1st KP: Barona!

Does that mean I have to cook again? I would be happy to host, but let's see if anyone else steps up to the plate for the South.

I think we should all lift our glasses high to Dan King, there's no question that anyone has ever rolled out the red carpet better, in any GCA event, than Dan did this year. He hosted 9 fellow golf junkies at his beach house in Cayucos; he's got a great set up and it was indeed perfect spot for a gathering, whether eating in or dining out. Now that I know the combination to the lock box, I'll be vacationing there often! The tenor of this year's event mirrored Dan's attitude: play fast, have fun, and don't worry about the score! Dan made everyone feel welcome although I doubt he has a future career in cat herding. After holding onto the King's Putter for the last two years I'm glad it gets to visit a new state this year, Pete Pittock is taking it up to Oregon. The North beat us with sheer numbers this year; this is a call for former So Cal players to step up next year, even if we have to play at Pelican Hill!

It was very heart warming to see three people from the original KP I, Gib  Papazian , Neal Meagher and Rich Goodale make it back for the 10th go round; it was great to see them all again, none afraid that they might have to mingle with the unwashed at the local muni.

We certainly need a big shout out to Neal Meagher for hosting us at SLOCC; I've lived in Cal for 32 years and never heard any buzz about the place, but was very impressed. No doubt Neal's tweeks have improved the strategy and made the course more fun to play! Having Neal gesticulate over his 6'x4' topographical map after the round over cocktails was a GCA classic moment; no one is more passionate about golf course design than Neal.

It was also great to finally play with Alev Stavrides, Alex Miller and Patrick Kiser; all very good players who you can learn alot from.

I was also witness to Pinot Pete's fine round at Santa Maria CC on Sun afternoon; a smooth 76 capped off by a clutch par at 18 after the fabulous "boxcar boingo shot" on 17! A big thank you to Bob MacGee for hosting us there. For those who grew up putting off Poa Annua these surfaces made for a "Heaven on Earth" experience; possibly the best Poa surfaces I've putted on. Just a wonderful Club with 9 holes dating from 1921 and 9 newer holes; which all doglegged nicely in the rather compact parcel over the railroad tracks.

The biggest surprise of the trip was Monarch Dunes, the links like nature of most holes was outstanding. From the fescue fairways to the ultra smooth velvet bent grass greens the turf selections allowed for numerous ground game opportunities. There were alot of kick plates and backboards for the creative golfer to find an alternate route to the hole near the green. They did have to ruin it with a water hole start and finish at 10, 17 & 18 though. The parallel par 5 8th and 15th  needlessly employed ponds off the tee, complicating two already difficult uphill holes. Luckily they were both saved with outstanding green sites; the 8th dropping off radically on the right and the 15th having a pinched, two tiered saddle green.

All in all a memorable King's Putter: two nice CC's, a cutting edge faux links and three fine munis. The opportunity to have the Central Coast tri-tip BBQ with an Armenian rice pilaf at the beach made for an intimate and reasonably priced affair. Congratulations to all to participated or contributed!
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 09:31:56 PM by Pete Lavallee »
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

Patrick Kiser

« Reply #145 on: May 09, 2013, 10:30:53 AM »
... all very good players who you can learn alot from.

Maybe the other guys were "very good", but you must have been flasking some of that fine Tequila you imparted us with during our Monarch Dunes round  ;)

More incrimating pics from the KP...

Sir "Fairways & Greens" (aka Rich Goodale) praying to the alter...

course architect

Patrick Kiser

« Reply #146 on: May 09, 2013, 10:32:32 AM »
The Armenian hard at work on Morro Bay...

course architect

Patrick Kiser

« Reply #147 on: May 09, 2013, 10:36:14 AM »
He hosted 9 fellow golf junkies at his beach house in Cayucos; he's got a great set up and it was indeed perfect spot for a gathering, whether eating in or dining out. Now that I know the combination to the lock box, I'll be vacationing there often!

Amen and damn straight!

Waking up to this panoramic view every morning is something I could get used to...

course architect

Mike Hendren

« Reply #148 on: May 09, 2013, 10:59:49 AM »
For the life of me I can't fathom how I was so thoroughly beaten down at last year's Dixie Cup by a man who dresses so poorly.  The name of Rihc remains an oath upon my lips.

Nice to see some old friends. 

Bogey
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Alex Miller

« Reply #149 on: May 09, 2013, 11:14:49 AM »
The Armenian hard at work on Morro Bay...

It's amazing. I'm pretty sure this is Gib at the top of his backswing, correct?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back