News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Scott Warren

Re: King's Putter May 3-5
« Reply #100 on: May 01, 2013, 12:54:25 AM »
Hope you fellas have a great time this weekend. Always makes me glad to hear about GCAers getting together.

Gold help anyone who faces off with Rihc and his 8 handicap. You'll know him by his sombrero!
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 01:15:04 AM by Scott Warren »

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #101 on: May 01, 2013, 09:14:19 AM »
my handicap is 12,6

astavrides

Re: King's Putter May 3-5 New
« Reply #102 on: May 01, 2013, 11:09:33 AM »
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 12:17:15 AM by astavrides »

Garland Bayley

« Reply #103 on: May 01, 2013, 07:32:25 PM »
I just called Santa Maria CC and they serve lunch until 2:30 p.m. Bob estimates 20 minutes between the two courses.
So here are two options. Monarch Dunes has decent food, so finish and eat there, or finish and drive to Santa Maria CC for lunch. Dinner at Santa Maria is available from 4 pm to 7 pm.

I think I would vote for lunch at Monarch Dunes, and Bob will supply wine for our dinner at Santa Maria CC.

The 1 pm is the earliest they allow us to start at Santa Maria, so don't worry about starting later.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Garland Bayley

« Reply #104 on: May 01, 2013, 07:37:53 PM »
My index is 11.7.  I've lived in Nocal the past 3 years, but I lived in LA for 12 years, so I can play for whomever. 
Right now, I'm only scheduled to play Friday afternoon.  I may want to join for other rounds, especially Sat. or Sun. afternoon.  Sorry I can't be more definitive about that now.

We'll put you down for the 11th golfer at Santa Maria. Hope you can join us.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Garland Bayley

« Reply #105 on: May 01, 2013, 07:40:22 PM »
I am 19.8. Bob is still 22.5. He beat me today, so watch out! ;)

Bill_McBride

« Reply #106 on: May 01, 2013, 08:21:30 PM »

You two are shameless. 

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #107 on: May 01, 2013, 11:02:03 PM »
d
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 02:15:15 AM by Pete_Pittock »

Tim Leahy

« Reply #108 on: May 01, 2013, 11:27:15 PM »
I am driving down from Sacto thurs morning to Paso Robles. If anybody wants to join me for a thurs afternoon round at Hunter Ranch or Paso Robles GC send me an email at tmleahy.TL@gmail.com or call me at 916-475-3895. Otherwise see you all at the course on fri morning.
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #109 on: May 02, 2013, 12:04:47 AM »
Sunday morning checkout is going to be fun with a near hour drive from the beach house to Monarch Dunes and a 7:30 tee time. I may sit out.

Dan King

« Reply #110 on: May 02, 2013, 11:41:00 AM »
I guess I should have considered non-early risers.

I haven't made teams or anything because you never know who might show up. Right now it looks like only about 12 guys. I figured we can figure it out on the fly.

I'm leaving Sacramento around 2 today, so should be in Cayucos before 7, in time for a Cayucos sunset.
Cheers,
Dan King
What earthly good is golf? Life is stern and life is earnest. We live in a practical age. All around us we see foreign competition making itself unpleasant. And we spend our time playing golf? What do we get out of it? Is golf any use? That's what I'm asking you. Can you name me a single case where devotion to this pestilential pastime has done a man any practical good?
  --P.G. Wodehouse (The Clicking of Cuthbert)

Tom Yost

« Reply #111 on: May 02, 2013, 01:12:37 PM »
Been sitting the fence but now definitely OUT.

Have fun guys, wish I could make it.

Tom

Bill_McBride

« Reply #112 on: May 02, 2013, 01:13:07 PM »

You two are shameless. 
The SE peanut gallery speaks :)
put them on opposite teams and have them play each other every round

Perfectly equitable. 

Dan King

« Reply #113 on: May 02, 2013, 02:37:11 PM »
Just in case anyone needs to reach me when down there: 408-691-9833.

Cheers,
Dan King
I din't answer the phone. I get the feeling whenever I do that there will be someone on the other end.
 --Fred Couples

JLahrman

« Reply #114 on: May 05, 2013, 10:33:33 AM »
Looking forward to some updates from the front lines.

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #115 on: May 06, 2013, 12:16:25 AM »
No internetty stuff at Casa King since Friday. This connection is spotty.The King's Putter is in my golf bag, heading north.

All other GCA competitions take note, five of six rounds by all players were UNDER FOUR HOURS, with plenty of pictures taken

If you can find your travels go to San Luis Obispo, be sure to iiclude SLOCC in you plans. It plays to its length.

Winds today were 20-30, and pollen is flying from the trees which are still standing. Eucalypti have moved to the front of my list  for trashiest tree.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 12:21:56 AM by Pete_Pittock »

Patrick Kiser

« Reply #116 on: May 06, 2013, 12:23:43 AM »
Just got back from the KP and thought I'd post a couple of pics.

Special thanks to Dan for hosting all of us + to Pete L. and Gib for the BBQ cookout + Pete P. for the wines and Pete L. for the tequila.  Stupid me forgot to take photos of the cookout and tequila / wines.  So hopefully someone took a few of those and can post.

Also, special thanks to Neal for arranging our visit at SLO CC and Bob for hosting us at Santa Maria CC.

Good to see some usual suspects and a few new GCAs.

I think a pretty good time was had by all and the courses presented some good competition.

Of course ... the North won by a monster landslide  ;D

SLOCC 18th Approach:

Winning North putt by Tom H. with Gib, Rich, and Alex looking on

Deep discussions about how the North has already won after only two rounds...

SLOCC Aerial in the clubhouse:

Post round drinks and beard pulling...

Saturday night dinner at Hoppe's in Cayunos:

« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 01:30:00 PM by Patrick Kiser »
“One natural hazard, however, which is more
or less of a nuisance, is water. Water hazards
absolutely prohibit the recovery shot, perhaps
the best shot in the game.” —William Flynn, golf
course architect

Dan King

« Reply #117 on: May 06, 2013, 01:57:19 AM »
I learned a valuable lesson at this year's King's Putter: You do not leave your clubs in the garage for two years and expect to suddenly have a game when you want it. I played a golf hole now and then.  I decided I was not going to lose more than one golf ball on any single hole -- ball lost, move on (occasionally a few holes).  Maximum lost is a sleeve during a round. Lose three, enough golf for you -- hence only playing a handful of holes.

Still a wonderful weekend. Plenty of good company, good conversation, good liquor, good herb and decent weather if not good golf from me.

I do have a Georgia Tech hoodie (are there really colleges in Georgia?) that I still am going to have to drop a few more pounds to fit into and a couple of cool little ice chest bags with an ICG logo on them.

I think next year's King's Putter should just be a beard growing contest, and then we can all just hang out and not worry about a competition.

Cheers,
Dan King
There is always a period when a man with a beard shaves it off. This period does not last. He returns headlong to his beard.
 --Jean Cocteau

astavrides

« Reply #118 on: May 06, 2013, 12:15:47 PM »
Great to meet some new people and see some others again, and some fun times on the courses.  Thank you to Dan for the hospitality and for setting the event up.  I think he is another of golf's (or at least GCA's) most beloved figures.  Thank you to Neal for the hospitality at SLO CC and to Bob at Santa Maria Country Club.
Here is a description of the history of the course at Santa Maria Country Club from the club's website:
http://www.santamariacc.com/page.php?page_id=2685&name=The_Golf_Course

Garland Bayley

« Reply #119 on: May 06, 2013, 12:16:58 PM »
I adopted the Dan King rule for lost balls at Monarch Ponds Golf Course. It meant I forfeited a few holes to by buddy Bob, but I still managed to scratch out a halve for the round.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #120 on: May 06, 2013, 12:19:25 PM »
I'm wonder what folks here think about a "about" 12 handicapper who shoots 4 over 76 in a two to three club wind at Santa Maria CC. He may be the "ringer" that helped north dominate south this year.

JLahrman

« Reply #121 on: May 06, 2013, 12:47:22 PM »
I see that General Longstreet made it, but weren't there supposed to be more Civil War beards?

Patrick Kiser

« Reply #122 on: May 06, 2013, 02:44:15 PM »
A little about the courses perhaps?  I'll at least offer some of my perspective...

The Links at Paso Robles is not quite a hidden gem, but it certainly offered a fun enough experience.  I played like absolute dog crap on that first round, so it gave me an opportunity to see and realize the potential.  There's some land surrounding the course itself (especially off the 9th holes left) that appears to offer a lot of interesting movement.  As it stands though, your basic course with not much GCA to speak about.  Really good green to tee transitions though.  You can run your ball here for sure.

San Luis Obispo CC was certainly a highlight.  Some good to very good holes here, but nothing great in my mind.  Good conditions.  Greens were a little blah to me and you definitely need to stay below the hole.  I think the work from Neal and his crew definitely helps the course.  The bunkering seems to work pretty well and is player friendly while providing a good challenge.  Some added ground features were quite fun as well.  Good use of short grass on the surrounds for the bump and run game.  Green to tee transitions were solid.  On the negative side, you have a botanical garden here (yet I heard many trees had been removed!) and some rather poor use of water / ponds (I think I barfed on the 9th).  Also, some mounding just didn't seem to work for me.  But overall, pretty solid track.  Some memorable holes for me were the 3rd (kick plate left works!), 11th and 15th.

Dairy Creek was unfortunately not my cup of tea for the most part.  It's probably not John Harbottle's best design and I'm going to guess his team was faced with tremendous environmental constaints.  As a result, the course feels very much forced into the landscape in my opinion.  Again and again, it's up and down the various hills while avoiding certain sensitive areas.  Quite the walk actually.  While the conditioning was pretty good, I felt the mow lines and short grass could have been expanded and even tightened, but perhaps that's a real challenge for the crew here ... not sure.  Shaping wise, I felt there was just too much superfluous moundus interruptus that simply did not blend all that well into the landscape.  I think the best thing here for me was the open feel, views, and perhaps the greens (although we could not tell from the sanding / punching).

Morro Bay was actually quite the surprise.  Nothing great, but just a solid muni.  A lot of uphill and downhill here too, but some interesting green approaches with ground features into those greens that worked in many instances.  Good poa greens that seemed to fit into the landscape (12th pin placement kicked our asses).  Overall though a little repetitive in some areas.  For instance, I hit a lot of 3is off the tee on a stretch of holes that weren't too dissimilar.  The bermuda / kukuyu here is rather unfortunate as well, but it probably offers the course a certain amount of natural defense.  Mow lines here need some help.  Routing wise, I also felt a few of the holes going into the sunset was not optimal.  But for $30 ... how can anyone complain...

I had played Monarch Dunes previously when it first opened and even back then I played it in a 4-5 club wind ... which is just silly.  I think we had a 3-4 club wind this time around.  I had forgotten a lot about this course.  Upon this go around, I think I appreciated the course more.  I think it's a valiant effort and has some interesting ideas going on with some rather worthy holes.  It does feel "linksy" in nature and I think would probably remind someone of Whistling ... but only a little.  One can definitely play a running game here and I attempted many such shorts on my approaches with decent success.  Greens were rather firm, but played somewhat slow from what I would have expected.  Then again ... my putting sucks.  Some pretty interesting greens on a few holes (8th was memorable for instance).  Reasonable use of blindness on some areas as well.  On the negative side, I have no problem in saying the waterworks here are a complete mess.  In particular, the monster pond shared between the 8th and 15th ... to use a JS expression ... is a complete "abortion".  This pond single-handedly ruins to an extent not one but two holes (8th and 15th).  Fortunately, the greens to these same holes make up for a lot and I really found the 8th green quite interesting.  The 15th green was interesting as well.  Likewise, the ubiquitous water / fountain hole in the 18th is just awful to the eye.  Again though, the 18th green makes up for a lot of this.  Cart pathing has some issues on some stretches (16th is awful and would be better served by sharing with the 15th hole in my opinion).  Green to tee is a little weak, but to be expected for a neighborhood track I'd say.  Finally, the gum / euk trees are a real mess.  Several tee shots offered "goal post" situations that were simply uncalled for (3rd or 11th for example).  Elsewhere they would be used to frame holes (notably the par 3 17th) or block options (16th fairway right with blind approach to the green).  Last but not least, for whatever reason ... the nines were switched and all I can say to this is why?  I'd much rather start off NOT playing the current 1st (old 10th), but that's just me.  So a mixed bag in the end, but an entertaining one I'd say.  Holes I liked were the 1st, 2nd (kick plate right and green are cool), 3rd, 4th, 5th, 7th, 12th, and 14th.  A lot of good par 3s I felt.  Weaker par 5s (although 3rd is pretty good).
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 02:59:24 PM by Patrick Kiser »
course architect

Patrick Kiser

« Reply #123 on: May 06, 2013, 02:59:58 PM »
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 03:02:52 PM by Patrick Kiser »
course architect

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #124 on: May 06, 2013, 09:48:33 PM »
it was by far the best ball striking round I've had in memory. and in trying conditions to boot. First time within 10 of my age. Trees had blown over, downed branches were everywhere plus all the eucalyptus detrirus. Plus it was on perfect poa greens, which is what I have played on for decades in Oregon. You didn't mention my tee shot on the 16th, which was a long par three into the wind. My tighening up back led to a weak pull which bounced on the cart path, over the OB fence, off the side of some railroad cars, back in bounds, onto the cart path before stopping just short of the greenside bunker. A pitch onto the green stopped on a dime, which was about 30 feet short of the hole. The putt was perfect. Nor did you mention the tree that materialized in the middle of the 6th fairway which cost me a couple of strokes, I could have been in the net 50s.I was running on fumes by 15 and thought about driving in and taking net bogeys on the last four. Glad I didn't and glad I had stellar witnesses.

« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 02:17:49 AM by Pete_Pittock »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back