News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Garland Bayley

Re: King's Putter May 3-5
« Reply #75 on: April 06, 2013, 11:25:30 PM »
I think splitting the rounds between the two courses is good given the punching. Better than playing two rounds on the punched greens.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Alex Miller

« Reply #76 on: April 07, 2013, 12:15:52 AM »
Split 'em!

Dan King

« Reply #77 on: April 10, 2013, 12:58:58 PM »
Currently it looks like 14 have committed to play the King's Putter. The South is heavily outnumbered.  I'm going to have to commit to t-times at the end of this week. If any of the maybes have a better idea this week, that would be great. If not, I'm sure we can work people in at the last minute if need be.

In
Garland Bailey N 19.4
Dan King  N ??
Tim Leahy
Bob McGhie N or S 22.5
Alex Miller Friday afternoon on 2.0
Gib Papazian  N or S 8.0 Bedroom
Pete Pittock N 10.5
Pete Lavallee  S
Joe_Tucholski - weekend (maybe afternoon Friday).  S 6.1
Neal_Meagher
Ted Cahill  
Patrick Kiser   N 14.0  Bedroom
Tommy Naccarato  S Bedroom
Rich Goodale   N

Maybe
JLahrman
Tom Yost
Stavrides
Lou Duran
Jeff Fortsan

I have Tommy, Gib and Patrick in bedrooms at the estate. I thought there was one other (there are four bedrooms) if you asked for a bedroom and aren't Tommy, Gib or Patrick let me know.

Cheers,
Dan King
There is no shape nor size of body, no awkwardness nor ungainliness, which puts good golf beyond reach. There are good golfers with spectacles, with one eye, with one leg, even with one arm. In golf, while there is life there is hope.
  --Sir Walter Simpson
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 01:14:18 PM by Dan King »

Alex Miller

« Reply #78 on: April 10, 2013, 01:07:23 PM »
100% South here.

Rich Goodale

« Reply #79 on: April 10, 2013, 01:21:11 PM »
Currently it looks like 14 have committed to play the King's Putter. The South is heavily outnumbered.  I'm going to have to commit to t-times at the end of this week. If any of the maybes have a better idea this week, that would be great. If not, I'm sure we can work people in at the last minute if need be.

In
Garland Bailey N 19.4
Dan King  N ??
Tim Leahy
Bob McGhie N or S 22.5
Alex Miller Friday afternoon on 2.0
Gib Papazian  N or S 8.0 Bedroom
Pete Pittock N 10.5
Pete Lavallee  S
Joe_Tucholski - weekend (maybe afternoon Friday).  S 6.1
Neal_Meagher
Ted Cahill  
Patrick Kiser   N 14.0  Bedroom
Tommy Naccarato  S Bedroom
Rich Goodale   N

Maybe
JLahrman
Tom Yost
Stavrides
Lou Duran
Jeff Fortsan

I have Tommy, Gib and Patrick in bedrooms at the estate. I thought there was one other (there are four bedrooms) if you asked for a bedroom and aren't Tommy, Gib or Patrick let me know.

Cheers,
Dan King
There is no shape nor size of body, no awkwardness nor ungainliness, which puts good golf beyond reach. There are good golfers with spectacles, with one eye, with one leg, even with one arm. In golf, while there is life there is hope.
  --Sir Walter Simpson

Yo The King (or should it be "You Da King!" given that it is master's week....).  I thought I had a bedroom, but if not, just direct me to the nearest no-tell motel.

Rich

PS--I'm an 8.0 just like the Gibster.  We shall wreak havoc with those handicaps!

rfg
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Dan King

« Reply #80 on: April 10, 2013, 02:40:49 PM »
The bedroom is yours Rhic. I knew there was someone, just couldn't remember who.

Cheers,
Dan King
Some players would complain if they had to play on Dolly Parton's beadspread.
 --Jimmy Demaret
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 04:58:28 PM by Dan King »

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #81 on: April 10, 2013, 03:13:18 PM »
I'll probably be somewhere around 12.0 hdcp. I bought a portable airbed so I can sleep on the deck. Could you let us know the address so we can GPS it?

Dan King

« Reply #82 on: April 10, 2013, 05:03:16 PM »
The address
2660 Studio Drive
Cayucos, Ca. 93430
Really easy, it is on the ocean side of Highway 1.

I have class on Thursday night. If nothing urgent is going on I'll miss it, but at the end of the semester, you never know, I might need to be there. If that is the case I wouldn't get to Cayucos until like midnight Thursday. If anyone has plans to get there earlier on Thursday, I can give you directions on how to open up the house.

Cheers,
Dan King
And they all play on the golf course
and they drink their martinis dry
And they all live in little boxes, little boxes
And they all look just the same.
 --Malvina Reynolds

Garland Bayley

« Reply #83 on: April 16, 2013, 06:58:32 PM »
We currently have 10 for Santa Maria Country Club as listed on the previous page, so I'll tell Bob we need three tee times. We will have room for two more players if others decide to join us.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Dan King

« Reply #84 on: April 18, 2013, 08:57:44 PM »
I haven't hit a golf ball in well over a year. I was going to go out to the range and hit some prior to KP. But which clubs?

Anyone interesting in playing with old hickories at KP? I have a set of hickories -- except I've never found any lefty hickory woods that weren't overpriced, so I have 1960era persimmon woods.

Ideally it would be a fellow hacker who will be playing for the rebels.

Cheers,
Dan King
Golf is so casual. You just got to the course, miss things, tramp around in the briars, use pungent language, and throw two thousand dollars worth of equipment in a pond. Unlike skydiving or rugby, golf gives you leisure to realize it's pointless.
 --P.J. O'Rourke

Joe_Tucholski

« Reply #85 on: April 18, 2013, 09:45:14 PM »
I haven't hit a golf ball in well over a year. I was going to go out to the range and hit some prior to KP. But which clubs?

Anyone interesting in playing with old hickories at KP? I have a set of hickories -- except I've never found any lefty hickory woods that weren't overpriced, so I have 1960era persimmon woods.

Ideally it would be a fellow hacker who will be playing for the rebels.

Cheers,
Dan King
Golf is so casual. You just got to the course, miss things, tramp around in the briars, use pungent language, and throw two thousand dollars worth of equipment in a pond. Unlike skydiving or rugby, golf gives you leisure to realize it's pointless.
 --P.J. O'Rourke

I have a set of hickories that I've never played with.  They were a garage sale type set but I figured I'd play with them at some point.  This seems like a pretty good opportunity.  I'll bring them and see how it goes.  I don't have hickory woods with me in CA either.

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #86 on: April 23, 2013, 12:54:04 PM »
15 day on April 23rd forecast shows warm and windy.
Already practicing on punched greens.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 07:01:59 PM by Pete_Pittock »

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #87 on: April 24, 2013, 07:03:26 PM »
15 day on April 23rd forecast fopr KP shows warm and windy.
15 day forecast on April 24 for the KP. hot (90s) and 5 mph wind.

Car has been prepped.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 10:34:10 PM by Pete_Pittock »

Garland Bayley

« Reply #88 on: April 25, 2013, 12:04:22 PM »
15 day on April 23rd forecast fopr KP shows warm and windy.
15 day forecast on April 24 for the KP. hot (90s) and 5 mph wind.

Car has been prepped.

Rail ticket has been bought.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #89 on: April 25, 2013, 12:37:36 PM »
Forecast details

Paso Robles Friday morning, high 77, wind 3 mph, gusts to 15 mph
SLO Friday afternoon high 77, wind 6 mph gusts to 22 mph
SLO Saturday morning, high 70, wind 9 mph gusts to 26 mph
Morro Bay, Saturday afternoon, high 66, wind 11 mph gust to 27 mph
Nipomo Sunday morning, high 63, wind 4 mph gusts to 14 mph
Santa Maria Sunday afternoon, high 68, wind 7 mph gusts to 17 mph

Garland Bayley

« Reply #90 on: April 25, 2013, 12:51:49 PM »
 Directions from Monarch Dunes to Santa Maria Country Club

Monarch Dunes
1606 Trilogy Pkwy, Nipomo, CA 93444
(805) 343-9459

1. Start out going southeast on Trilogy Pkwy toward Via Concha.Map   
0.01 mi
0.01 mi total

2. Take the 1st right onto Via Concha.Map

If you are on Center Point Pl and reach Kingston Dr you've gone about 0.2 miles too far

0.7 mi
0.7 mi total

3. Turn left onto CA-1.Map   
6.7 mi
7.4 mi total

4. Turn left onto Brown Rd.Map

If you reach Black Rd you've gone about 5.4 miles too far

1.3 mi
8.7 mi total

5. Turn right onto W Betteravia Rd.Map

If you are on Brown Rd and reach Ray Rd you've gone about 1.7 miles too far

4.5 mi
13.2 mi total

6. Turn left to stay on W Betteravia Rd.Map   
2.2 mi
15.3 mi total

7. Turn right onto CA-135 S / US-101 Business. Continue to follow CA-135 S.Map

CA-135 S is 0.2 miles past S Thornburg St
    KFC is on the corner
    If you are on E Betteravia Rd and reach S Miller St you've gone about 0.3 miles too far

1.1 mi
16.4 mi total

8. Turn right onto Waller Ln.Map

Waller Ln is 0.2 miles past S Miller St
    If you reach Goodwin Rd you've gone about 0.4 miles too far

0.3 mi
16.7 mi total

9. 505 W WALLER LN is on the right.Map

Your destination is just past Lorencita Dr

Santa Maria Country Club   
505 W Waller Ln, Santa Maria, CA 93455-1944

Dan King

« Reply #91 on: April 25, 2013, 06:13:55 PM »
Joe I took my old hickories out to the driving range. It ends up I only have 4 or 5 usable clubs. I'll bring 'em along with me, but doubt I will play a full round with them. When you play golf only once every two years, new technology can be very helpful.

I am so tired of this beard.

I'm taking off class Thursday night so I should make it to Cayucos in the afternoon on Thursday. Anyone planning on getting there earlier than that, let me know.

Cheers,
Dan King
There was an old man with a beard, who said: 'It is just as I feared! Two owls and a hen, four larks and a wren have all built their nests in my beard.
 --Edward Lear

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #92 on: April 30, 2013, 10:23:38 AM »
Car is packed, wine will be cooled by AC, amber alert issued for my game, heading south witihn the hour. Weather will be hotter in Portland than it is where I'm going.

Patrick Kiser

« Reply #93 on: April 30, 2013, 03:10:27 PM »
Did anyone put together a day by day schedule with times?

I see bits and pieces, but not something comprehensive.  Just checking, so I'm not missing something.

But right now, I seem to gather the following:

Fri. 5-3 Morning starting at 7:30am? Paso Robles Links
Fri. 5-3 Afternoon starting at 2:00pm for SLO CC and also Paso Robles Links
Sat. 5-4 Morning starting at 7:40? Dairy Creek
Sat. 5-4 Afternoon starting at ??:?? Dairy Creek
Sun. 5-5 Morning starting at 7:30am Monarch Dunes
Sun. 5-5 Afternoon starting at ??:?? Santa Maria CC
“One natural hazard, however, which is more
or less of a nuisance, is water. Water hazards
absolutely prohibit the recovery shot, perhaps
the best shot in the game.” —William Flynn, golf
course architect

Garland Bayley

« Reply #94 on: April 30, 2013, 03:19:32 PM »
Santa Maria is flexible allowing us to play some time from 1 pm on.

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #95 on: April 30, 2013, 06:12:25 PM »
I think a list of pairings and tee times for the various days would be a great idea. Hopefully, if we wish to award the King's Putter we will have to keep some kind of score. Has anyone given any thought to the format for this years's event?

From past experience these KP rounds always seem to last longer than 4 hours no matter what time we tee off; plus since we are not first off we are at the mercy of the Golf Gods to finish in a reasonable amount of time. So for someone to play Monarch Dunes on Sun at 8:00 and expect to make a 1:00 pm tee time at SMCC seems unrealistic, even if the courses were side by side. What is the estimated driving time from Monarch Dunes to SMCC? It would be nice to grab lunch somewhere in betwen rounds; perhaps at SMCC before we tee off.

Dan,

Have you drawn up the North and South teams yet? Sadly I'm playing off 11.2 this month, but do have a low index of 8.2. As always alliegence is with the South.  I have to work on Thurs so I will be driving up Fri morning from SD to play SLOCC on Fri so don't include me at the Liks of Pasa Robles. I'll also do only one round on Sat. at Dairy Creek. Have you given any thought to our dining arrangements? Will we be eating out in town or are you going to whip up a fantastic Central Coast BBQ at the beach house?
« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 06:25:46 PM by Pete Lavallee »
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #96 on: April 30, 2013, 09:36:25 PM »
Pete,
Lots of questons from last year's winning captain and possessor of the hickory shafted ?

New handicaps come out tomorrow.

I made it to the interchange of I5-I505. Winds at 20+. Last time I was here I had to backtrack to Pasatiempo to pick up my leftover golf clubs.
Tomorrow  YochaDehe, followed by a drive down to Buellton for some split pea soup and check out the barmaids at HPII.

astavrides

« Reply #97 on: April 30, 2013, 09:43:20 PM »
followed by a drive down to Buellton for some split pea soup and check out the barmaids at HPII.

What is HPII?

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #98 on: April 30, 2013, 10:04:58 PM »
Hitching Post II  (Sideways movie)

astavrides

Re: King's Putter May 3-5 New
« Reply #99 on: May 01, 2013, 12:51:20 AM »
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 12:18:13 AM by astavrides »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back