News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brent Hutto

Re: King's Putter May 3-5
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2013, 08:27:47 AM »
Sorry guys, not going to the trip west this year after all.

Just to see what would happen, I tried booking with my Delta travel voucher for a flight after the voucher expiry date. Turns out it's the date I pay for the ticket that counts, not the travel date. So I'm going to England at the end of the summer.

Some other KP for me, I guess. My thanks anyway to the guys who offered to help me out with SoCal travel arrangements.

Tim Leahy

« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2013, 01:29:22 PM »
Sorry guys, not going to the trip west this year after all.

Just to see what would happen, I tried booking with my Delta travel voucher for a flight after the voucher expiry date. Turns out it's the date I pay for the ticket that counts, not the travel date. So I'm going to England at the end of the summer.

Some other KP for me, I guess. My thanks anyway to the guys who offered to help me out with SoCal travel arrangements.

Southwest is offering some specials right now!
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Dan King

« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2013, 02:05:06 PM »
I'm getting tee-times for 28.

Friday May 3: Links at Paso Robles -- 7 tee-times starting at 7:30.  The Links are between Highway 5 and Cayucos, off Highway 46, so people coming from the North or the South will need to drive by. I know 7:30 is early for people coming from the Bay Area or the L.A. area, but an early tee time allows for 36 that day. Rate $30-#40.  They aerate on April 7, so it should be fine on May 3.

Friday afternoon some are playing San Luis CC, some can play 36 at the Links.

Saturday I'm waiting to hear from Dairy Creek. Shouldn't be an issue getting an early time. Some concern as they aerate April 23. Dairy Creek is very close to wear we are staying in Cayucos. It is designed by John Harbottle and has received numerous environmental awards. Rate is about $50, and we should be able to get early times so we can play 36.

Sunday Monarch Dunes in Nipoma. Again, going to get an early tee-time so people heading home or for other golf can get going. Rate $81.

Cheers,
Dan King
By all means screw their women and drink their booze but never write one word about their bloody awful golf course.
  --Henry Longhurst (advise to a fellow journalist being pressed to make a trip to a new expensive golf development)

Patrick Kiser

« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2013, 03:55:29 PM »
Dan,

Thanks for driving the bus on this.  Looking forward to it.
“One natural hazard, however, which is more
or less of a nuisance, is water. Water hazards
absolutely prohibit the recovery shot, perhaps
the best shot in the game.” —William Flynn, golf
course architect

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2013, 04:19:17 PM »
Dan,

If he's driving the bus it will look like Ken Kesey's. :D

Bill_McBride

« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2013, 04:30:16 PM »
Dan,

If he's driving the bus it will look like Ken Kesey's. :D

With "Further" on the front, Neal Cassidy at the wheel and a lot of dope in the back!   What's not to love?

astavrides

« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2013, 07:51:55 PM »
Saturday I'm waiting to hear from Dairy Creek. Shouldn't be an issue getting an early time. Some concern as they aerate April 23. Dairy Creek is very close to wear we are staying in Cayucos. It is designed by John Harbottle and has received numerous environmental awards. Rate is about $50, and we should be able to get early times so we can play 36.

How about 18 at Dairy Creek and 18 at Morro Bay on Saturday (either order)?  15 minutes from each other according to bing maps.

Dan King

« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2013, 12:25:55 AM »
I hope you are all getting your Civil War-era beards ready for the 150th anniversary of Chancellorsville. I've been getting ready since September, so my beard should be in prime shape my May.

I'll need to check on Further. I think it is on the Kesey Farm in Oregon. I don't know if it is running order, but maybe we can get someone coming down from Oregon to drive it down.  I think I could bring along some medicinal products for those of us that have medical need.

Our earliest tee-time at Dairy Creek is like 8:20. The same company runs both Dairy Creek and Morro Bay and he did mention that. If there is interest, I can make the Saturday afternoon ones Morro Bay. After 2:00 they both have reduced rate so I don't think it would matter for cost, it would just involve getting everyone over there.

The only issue with Dairy Creek and Morro Bay is they are aerating the greens April 23. They had hoped to use the small holes, but it doesn't look good. We would be going about 10 days after the aeration. The Links course the aeration is early April, and I'm not sure about Monarch Dunes.

Cheers,
Dan King
I've been to too many Dead concerts. There've been smokin' holes where my memory used to be.
 --Ken Kesey

astavrides

« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2013, 01:22:43 PM »
Could do Cypress Ridge on Saturday instead (or Hunter Ranch, although I think Cypress Ridge is a better course).  I realize it is a little farther from the house and a little pricier.  Just a thought.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2013, 01:55:16 PM »
Cypress Ridge better than Dairy Creek ??? Perish the thought >:(
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Rich Goodale

« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2013, 02:10:59 PM »
Book me Dano, if there is still space.  To paraphrase Chico Escuela, this year stock market been berry berry good to me and Scottish "weather" berry berry bad to me.  As I keep saying to the wife, "Give me a  break!"
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Dan King

« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2013, 02:44:53 PM »
It is a truism in life, there is always more room for Rihc. It will be great to have you back in the Golden State playing for the North.

Sleeping arraignments at El Estado del Rey in Cayucos: It has room for everyone who wants to sleep to sleep. It's a big front room and there is plenty of floor space and futons and such. I'm going to get one of the bedrooms and if you want one of the three available bedrooms, you'll have to toss in $60 for the cleaning. It costs $180 to clean. First ones to claim the bedrooms get 'em.

Cheers,
Dan King
A life of leisure and a life of laziness are two things. There will be sleeping enough in the grave.
 --Benjamin Franklin

astavrides

« Reply #37 on: February 15, 2013, 03:27:08 PM »

I was saying Cypress Ridge is better than Hunter Ranch, not than Dairy Creek.  I haven't played Cypress Ridge recently enough to defend the proposition that it is better than Dairy Creek.  I was mostly giving alternatives in the case that the aeration at Dairy Creek being close to the playing date is overly bothersome.  It bothers me a little, but not enough that I would refuse to play it.  I don't know when aeration is scheduled at Cypress or Hunter.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #38 on: February 15, 2013, 03:35:30 PM »

I was saying Cypress Ridge is better than Hunter Ranch, not than Dairy Creek.  I haven't played Cypress Ridge recently enough to defend the proposition that it is better than Dairy Creek.  I was mostly giving alternatives in the case that the aeration at Dairy Creek being close to the playing date is overly bothersome.  It bothers me a little, but not enough that I would refuse to play it.  I don't know when aeration is scheduled at Cypress or Hunter.

Sorry for the misunderstanding. Have you ever played Avila Beach? Would it be a possible alternative?
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

astavrides

« Reply #39 on: February 15, 2013, 06:34:30 PM »

I was saying Cypress Ridge is better than Hunter Ranch, not than Dairy Creek.  I haven't played Cypress Ridge recently enough to defend the proposition that it is better than Dairy Creek.  I was mostly giving alternatives in the case that the aeration at Dairy Creek being close to the playing date is overly bothersome.  It bothers me a little, but not enough that I would refuse to play it.  I don't know when aeration is scheduled at Cypress or Hunter.

Sorry for the misunderstanding. Have you ever played Avila Beach? Would it be a possible alternative?

Possibly.  I played Cypress Ridge, Morro, Hunter, and Avila Beach over 10 years ago so I don't remember them that well.  Played Monarch, Links at [whatever it's called where we're playing Fri am], and Dairy more recently.  Avila Beach is ok.  As I recall, maybe a more interesting design than Morro, but not as good a setting.  Like the Pismo Beach par 3 course, Avila Beach has no beach views despite the name as I recall.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 10:01:49 PM by astavrides »

ed_getka

« Reply #40 on: February 23, 2013, 11:53:18 PM »
I won't be able to attend this year. :'( Dan look for an IM.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Dan King

« Reply #41 on: March 15, 2013, 12:32:48 PM »
Only about a month and a half out. Hope everyone's Civil War era facial hair is coming along. I've been working hard on mine since September. (I've also dropped 4 stone since Thanksgiving so who knows what that will do to what I used to call a game.)

It would be nice to get some signups to get a better count for reservations. If you plan to come to this year's King's Putter either respond here or send me a message.

Natural allegiance to the north or the south?
Handicap, official or guesstimate?
Rounds you want to play:
The schedule:
Friday May 3: 7:30 at Paso Robles Links, can play 36 there or some are going to SLCC.
Saturday May 4, 7:40 am Dairy Creek -- they said we shouldn't have any problem playing 36
Sunday May 5, 7:30 Monarch Dunes. They said we shouldn't have any trouble playing the short course after we finish.

I'd also like to know if you are coming do you plan on staying at El Estado del Rey en Cayucos.  If you want a room of your own there are three and you pay 60 bucks for the room for the weekend. Otherwise, it is find a place to sleep.

Cheers,
Dan King
The trick for the developer, as devised through his architect, is to build something that is photogenically stunning, however impractical, extravagant or absurd. Never mind the golfer, that most  gullible of all citizens.
  --Peter Thompson

Patrick Kiser

« Reply #42 on: March 15, 2013, 01:19:22 PM »
- North
- 14 HDCP = sucks...
- Rounds = all
- Accommodations = Yes for El Estado del Rey en Cayucos

Looking forward to it. 

“One natural hazard, however, which is more
or less of a nuisance, is water. Water hazards
absolutely prohibit the recovery shot, perhaps
the best shot in the game.” —William Flynn, golf
course architect

Garland Bayley

« Reply #43 on: March 15, 2013, 02:01:28 PM »
Garland Bayley 19.4 officially reminted today. Play all rounds, but not short course
Friend Bob McGhie 22.5 official. Same playing schedule as me.
I would remind all that Bob has arranged to host players Sunday afternoon at his club, Santa Maria CC. Cost is $66 which includes cart if so desired. He says as many as wants to from the KP group can come play. He wants a specific number by early April. First tee time arranged is 1 pm. So far Bob, I, Pete P, Dan, Joe, Patrick, Pete L, Rich, Tommy, and Tim are committed. PM me if you want to join us.

I enjoy the back 9 at SMCC as much as any course I have played in the central coast as it is on some interesting land. The front, is somewhat flat. It's a course that was opened with 9 holes, and bought adjacent land, in this case across the tracks, to build the second 9.

Bob is central coast, so north/south affinity is ambiguous. I have played for north twice, and Bob was put on north with me last year. I wouldn't mind being on opposite teams from him and playing a counting match and taking blood for real to go along with all the nickels and dimes I have taken from him over the years.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 03:09:58 PM by GJ Bailey »

Gib_Papazian

« Reply #44 on: March 15, 2013, 03:56:39 PM »

I live in Burlingame, so I guess Norte. I'll leave my Trojan headcovers home for the sake of team solidarity.

I stink. Short and crooked with the yips. Pay no attention to my previous incarnation. I'll guess a weak-ass 8 . . . . .

Rounds you want to play:

All 72 plus the short course. I'll be on an Advil I.V. drip.

The schedule:
Friday May 3: 7:30 at Paso Robles Links, can play 36 there or some are going to SLCC.
Saturday May 4, 7:40 am Dairy Creek -- they said we shouldn't have any problem playing 36
Sunday May 5, 7:30 Monarch Dunes. They said we shouldn't have any trouble playing the short course after we finish.

I'd also like to know if you are coming do you plan on staying at El Estado del Rey en Cayucos.  If you want a room of your own there are three and you pay 60 bucks for the room for the weekend. Otherwise, it is find a place to sleep.

I'll definitely take one of the rooms.

Cheers,
Dan King

Joe_Tucholski

« Reply #45 on: March 15, 2013, 05:08:43 PM »
Rounds you want to play:
The schedule:

I'd also like to know if you are coming do you plan on staying at El Estado del Rey en Cayucos.  If you want a room of your own there are three and you pay 60 bucks for the room for the weekend. Otherwise, it is find a place to sleep.

My home of record is Monterey CA but currently live in LA
6.1 - won't be surprised if it's higher in May
Can make a 3pm'ish tee time on Friday if rounds are starting that late.  Otherwise in for all rounds on Saturday and Sunday.
I would like to stay at El Estado del Rey en Cayucos.  If there are empty rooms when I get there I'll take one to help with the cleaning fee but I'll bring the sleeping bag, and sleeping on the beach would be fine with me.

Editing to clarify Sunday I plan to play Monarch Dunes followed by Santa Maria CC (if permitted)
« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 06:19:06 PM by Joe_Tucholski »

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #46 on: March 15, 2013, 09:03:43 PM »
All rounds, including the privates being set up by Neal and Bob
10.5 after Streamsong
It looks like all the rooms have been taken so I'm relegated to a motel,
North

This was taken 30+ years ago in Seattle on my way back home after hiking the first 30 mile sectiion of the Chilkoot Trail from Dyea (near Skagway) to the station at the top of Bennett Pass and the headwaters of the Yukon.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 01:53:58 PM by Pete_Pittock »

Neal_Meagher

« Reply #47 on: March 19, 2013, 03:05:11 PM »
Here is a final call for all who may be interested in also tacking on San Luis Obispo CC for the afternoon of Friday May 5.  As noted earlier in this thread, everyone's favorite Armenian Gib Papazian, worked with me on the renovation of all bunkers, fairway outline mods and some tree removals in 2011.  It is still a Bert Stamps routing but a very good course overall, quite under the radar.

So far the following have expressed an interest and I have been in contact with them:

Garland Bailey
Dan King
Tim Leahy
Bob McGhie

Alex Miller
Gib Papazian
Pete Pittock
A. Stavrides

Based on some other past postings the following look like they may have an interest:

Lou Duran
Rich Goodale
Patrick Kiser

I would appreciate it if any of the three maybe's listed above do want to play that they contact me.  Also, we have a possible 4th tee time available to us if there is an avalanche of interest, but since there hasn't been so far it will probably just be the 8 - 12 players listed above.  I will be sending out more detailed information before the end of the week to all who are going to be playing at SLO CC but I want to get as accurate a count as possible right now to forward to the club.  They are giving us a great rate also.

The purpose of art is to delight us; certain men and women (no smarter than you or I) whose art can delight us have been given dispensation from going out and fetching water and carrying wood. It's no more elaborate than that. - David Mamet

www.nealmeaghergolf.com

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #48 on: March 19, 2013, 03:20:17 PM »
I certainly hope to attend this year's KP and am in possesion of Dan's Putter by virue of the South's victory in Canada last year. I have been hesitant to commit with the possiblity of being furloughed starting April 28. Of course this should give me more time off.  :D Neal, please put me down to play SLOCC. I would also like to play Santa Maria on the way back home if at all possible. If Dan's rooms are all taken I guess I'll need to find a hotel too. It would probably work best if we all stay at the same one; let me know when one is selected.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 03:25:24 PM by Pete Lavallee »
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

Garland Bayley

« Reply #49 on: March 19, 2013, 03:23:35 PM »
« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 03:33:59 PM by GJ Bailey »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back