News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Michael Whitaker

Re: Dixie Cup 2013
« Reply #225 on: October 07, 2013, 07:41:53 PM »
Bill

I'll see you there but it sounds like the age old ploy of the southern team plying yankees with likker the night before

Wardo - Let me know if you need any help with directions to any of our venues... I'll be happy to loan you my GSP unit!  ;D ;D
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Chris Shaida

« Reply #226 on: October 07, 2013, 08:09:43 PM »
Bill

I'll see you there but it sounds like the age old ploy of the southern team plying yankees with likker the night before

Wardo - Let me know if you need any help with directions to any of our venues... I'll be happy to loan you my GSP unit!  ;D ;D

I'm fairly certain that said "GSP unit' that Whitaker is 'offering' is a AAA map and a cracker jacks compass...

David Royer

« Reply #227 on: October 07, 2013, 08:27:48 PM »
Chris, as chief mixologist for the north, I'm looking forward to your latest !  Happy trails.  

Chris Shaida

« Reply #228 on: October 07, 2013, 08:53:08 PM »
Chris, as chief mixologist for the north, I'm looking forward to your latest !  Happy trails.  

Well, since it is improbable I'll be helping my team with my golf I'll do my best to serve in other ways...

Mike Hendren

« Reply #229 on: October 08, 2013, 09:36:44 AM »
Speaking of mixology, I just discovered the wonderful elixir known as Jack Rudy's Small Batch Tonic.   I have two bottles on order.  Google it.  

Bogey gives it five stars.

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

ward peyronnin

« Reply #230 on: October 08, 2013, 10:52:55 PM »
Mikey: I'll only use your GPS if street adresses accompany; otherwise its that age old southern ploy of send those damn Yankees over yonder.

Bogey; Jack Rudy's is made by a kid from Henderson Ky, right across my Ohio River, who's Dad and I used to mainline Bourbon at surreal hours of the day so thats no secret weapon.

I am covering for my Captain
"Golf is happiness. It's intoxication w/o the hangover; stimulation w/o the pills. It's price is high yet its rewards are richer. Some say its a boys pastime but it builds men. It cleanses the mind/rejuvenates the body. It is these things and many more for those of us who truly love it." M.Norman

Steve Wilson

« Reply #231 on: October 09, 2013, 05:54:20 PM »
I'm not Elvis but I'm in the building Pine Crest Inn that is.
Some days you play golf, some days you find things.

I'm not really registered, but I couldn't find a symbol for certifiable.

"Every good drive by a high handicapper will be punished..."  Garland Bailey at the BUDA in sharing with me what the better player should always remember.

JC Jones

« Reply #232 on: October 09, 2013, 06:01:47 PM »
==SATURDAY PAIRINGS @ DORMIE CLUB==
Match #2 – Lou Duran / Joe Fairey (SOUTH) vs. David Royer / Tyler Kearns (NORTH)

I'd buy a ticket to watch this match!

Lou Duran says he is an 8?  That is the biggest sand bag I've ever seen.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Evan Fleisher

« Reply #233 on: October 11, 2013, 10:34:15 PM »
Whew!  I'm T.I.R.E.D tonight...just finished up 72 holes (walked all of 'em!!!) over the last two days here at the Dixie Cup.  I played Pinehurst #8 yesterday morning and them a bunch of us teed it up at Mid Pines in the afternoon...man, the work that Kyle did there looks great! We capped off the evening with a killer BBQ meal, chosen by one of the locals (Cory Lewis)...the glorious Pik n' Pig.  Everyone seemed to really dig their meals, and the nanner pudding for dessert was rock star.

This morning a smaller group of us teed it up at Sanford Golf Club, a local muni with supposed ties to Ross.  Not sure how much Ross is left but we had a fun time out there.

This afternoon was the official kick-off of the Dixie Cup with a round at Tobacco Road.  Although the pace was glacial (luckily not due to GCA'rs but others in front of us!), the course is just so much fun to play and visually so stunning.  Stranz was a true artist.  Final butcher counts?...

Match #1 - South
Match #2 - North
Match #3 - North
Match #4 - South
Match #5 - Halved

So,,,we stand tied after day #1 at 2 1/2 all.  Who knows what will come of tomorrow as our two captain's brilliant strategies today resulted in a perfect split.  We shall see...
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 12.2. Have 24 & 21 year old girls and wife of 27 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

JC Jones

« Reply #234 on: October 11, 2013, 10:36:33 PM »
I am shocked, SHOCKED that the South won Match #4 given Lou Duran's handicap.....
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Steve Kline

« Reply #235 on: October 12, 2013, 04:01:52 AM »
In match five, Jim Sherma of team North was playing as a switch hitter for the South. He birdied three of the first five holes on really crappy greens. I almost had to pull him aside to let remind him which side of the Mason Dixon he lives on. Thankfully he came to senses and allowed Steve Wilson and me to halve the match.

Evan Fleisher

« Reply #236 on: October 12, 2013, 10:21:47 PM »
Day #2 recap...Dormie Club! Ssssssllllloooooowwwww...wow...how does it take people so long to play a round of golf?  Luckily (again) it was not our GCA guys, as we were held up by the groups just in front...very frustrating.

That aside...Dormie Club is a pretty special place.  The course fits (and uses) the natural terrain so beautifully and seamlessly, it was a joy to just walk around the place (which is about all I did because what I did today can hardly be called golf!). Very "low key" atmosphere and fantastic conditions made for a great day of golf and competition.

Now, on to the results.  In a nutshell...it was a bloodbath!

Match #1 - South
Match #2 - South
Match #3 - North
Match #4 - South
Match #5 - South
Match #6 - South

That is not a typo folks, we got smoked today 5-1...so the day #2 totals stand at 7 1/2 vs. 3 1/2 with the South in the lead.  Time for a Brookline style comeback boys!!!
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 12.2. Have 24 & 21 year old girls and wife of 27 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

Evan Fleisher

« Reply #237 on: October 12, 2013, 10:29:18 PM »
Day #3 singles match-ups were put together tonight by the captains and here are the results (in no particular order):

Match #1 - Bill Gayne (SOUTH) vs. Evan Fleisher (NORTH)
Match #2 - Lou Duran (SOUTH) vs. Jim Sherma (NORTH)
Match #3 - Joe Fairey (SOUTH) vs. Jerry Kluger (NORTH)
Match #4 - Cory Lewis (SOUTH) vs. Steve Kline (NORTH)
Match #5 - Greg Krueger (SOUTH) vs. Tyler Kearns (NORTH)
Match #6 - Mike Whitaker (SOUTH) vs. David Royer (NORTH)
Match #7 - Harwell Palmer (SOUTH) vs. Chip Royce (NORTH)
Match #8 - Bill McBride (SOUTH) vs. Chris Shaida (NORTH)
Match #9 - Mike Christensen (SOUTH) vs. Ward Peyronnin (NORTH)
Match #10 - Craig Disher (SOUTH) vs. Morgan Clawson (NORTH)
Match #11 - Eric Strulowitz (SOUTH) vs. Steve Wilson (NORTH)

Remember gents...tee times start at 9:57am on Sunday and the above matches are NOT in tee time order...please just show up (on time) and pair up two matches together and start heading out.  Sorry I'm going to miss you all, but without my early morning tee time I will not make my flight home.

Once I get home I'll post the final results and then folks can also post event pictures and such.  Good luck to the good guys (that would be the NORTH team, of course!)...give 'em hell boys!!!

Jason Topp

« Reply #238 on: October 13, 2013, 12:02:39 AM »
How were the green at Tobacco Road?

Steve Kline

« Reply #239 on: October 13, 2013, 05:03:32 AM »
Awful

Evan Fleisher

« Reply #240 on: October 13, 2013, 03:48:45 PM »
Final Dixie Cup results after Sunday singles...the North won, no wait the South won, no wait...we TIED!

Rumor has it that my team made a miraculous comeback going 7-3-1 to earn enough points to square up the 2013 version of events. Of course they did it in my absence (what does that tell you?!?!?) but my singles match victory on 18 helped the cause.

A great time was had by all, and thanks again to Craig Disher and Cory Lewis for lining things up and selecting such great courses. Well done gentlemen!

Jim Sherma

« Reply #241 on: October 13, 2013, 10:48:18 PM »
Evan - we need a match by match posting of the singles results. After you and I went 2-0 in the early match I thought the North might have a chance.

Great event and I am glad I made it down!!! Dormie and Tobacco Road are exceptional courses and Mid Pines on Thursday was wonderful as well!!!

Eric Strulowitz

« Reply #242 on: October 14, 2013, 12:43:51 AM »
Just wanted to say what a pleasure it was to meet everyone, and heartfelt thanks to the organizers for all the hard work that went into planning and running this event.

Got home a little while ago. absolutely exhausted!  Special kudos to Steve Wilson for a great match in the final round..  I took the lead early and was 3 holes up.  Then Steve starting hitting perfect shot after shot with those hickory sticks and had a run of 4 holes and Steve was 1 up.  It was not till the last hole where Steve had sand problems and I hit my approach a foot from the pin, that I was able to win another hole and tie.  It was very humbling to say the least to see someone hit hickory clubs so well , and with all the technology I had in my bag I could barely keep up with him.    It was a great match Steve, and thanks for the company and great conversation.

Again, thanks to all and hope I can make it to future GCA events!

Eric
« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 12:53:24 AM by Eric Strulowitz »

Evan Fleisher

« Reply #243 on: October 14, 2013, 07:34:12 AM »
Great story to the ending of this year's Dixie Cup, Eric!  Glad you were able to hang in there and secure that final half point your team needed to tie (unknowing to you at the time).

Steve...as captain of the North it is my duty to inform you that as a result of your halved match with Eric...you are hereby required to wear "ludicrous suspenders" as continued penance.  :o 8) ;D

Steve Kline

« Reply #244 on: October 14, 2013, 02:15:27 PM »
I also want to thank Craig and Cory for setting up a fantastic weekend. This was my first Dixie Cup and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Playing Mid Pines after the renovation really highlighted the bones of fun course. My impression of Tobacco Road went down and not because of the conditions. Since my golf game is not as good it wasn't as enjoyable. It's hard for me to see how the average player enjoys it. Dormie Club was great. I would love to play that course some more under firmer and faster conditions. After two plays I would play a few holes differently.

Really enjoyed my conversation with Chris Shaida during dinner at Pine Needles. Looking forward to attempting the HHH with him next year. Finally, had a great time Ward sharing stories about our time at our alma mater. Go Dores!

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #245 on: October 14, 2013, 04:06:38 PM »
I want to add my thanks to everyone for a great time.  Sanford Muni was fun and the routing is great but it is a shame all the Ross features are gone.  Our evening at Ran's was simply wonderful and I even got to see the upstairs world headquarters of GCA. My match on Sunday against Joe Fairey was really good until my tee shot on 15 didn't clear the junk - he then went on a birdie run and closed me out 2 and 1 having shot 34 on the back.  

I look forward to next year and I hopefully will see some of the guys at the Streamsong event in March.  

Steve Wilson

« Reply #246 on: October 14, 2013, 11:41:48 PM »
Eric,

Thanks for the encomium.  As we also played together at Tobacco Road you got to see the Good, the Bad, and the (really)Ugly of my game.
I'm just happy that I saved my best for the last.  The match against you was about as well as I can play with the hickories.  I can only recall one true mishit all day and that was the tee shot on 8 where you were getting a shot anyhow.  As I remarked to you at least twice during the round, "It may not be pretty but it's really competitive.  If this were on TV we'd be giving Johnny Miller  a lot to talk about."

Describing my experience as a sand problems is kind and accurate, but from my perspective, after you hit your approach on 18, I felt like I should be wearing a burnoose and I swear I could hear the theme from Lawrence of Arabia as soon as your killer shot stopped stony dead.  A good match, a good time, and i was surprised at how much faster the pace of play seemed on Sunday than on Saturday.  Eric and I didn't have to wait much at all despite being a twosome and the tail end Charlies.

The courses:  the work done at Mid-Pines has improved the look and the vistas, but I seem to remember some of the greens as being a little more extreme before the renovation.  Could be my imagination as it has been nearly ten years since i had seen it.

Pine Needles always seemed to overwhelm me before and so I always regarded it as a big brother to Mid Pines.  I still regard it as a big brother but strangely it seemed more manageable with my hickories, but I'm sure the relative shortness had a lot to do with that.  Still, I felt more comfortable on the course and was able to enjoy the architecture. Lots of good holes there.

Tobacco Road.  This course still causes visceral reactions.  Some people (I'm talking about you Ward) really dislike it.  I've only played it twice, Dixie Cup 2005 and then again this year,  but I still like it even though I blew up ("blowed up real good" for you SCTV fans) and only finished three or four holes on the back.  The first time I played it I made three birdies and still feel that with experience I could navigate my way around to a reasonable score.  Greens were bad, but that can be fixed.  The visual stimulation of the course did inspire me to ask the musical question "If you dropped LSD before teeing off, would the course appear dead level."

Dormie Club.  My third Coore and Crenshaw and by far the course with the biggest shoulders after Chechessee and Streamsong.  Truly minimalist, no ball washers, no hole markers indicating the hole number and the yardage from the respective tees.  The absence of a yardage book makes it difficult for me to recall all of the holes.  8 is a great hole with the speed slot on the right side of the fairway.  The monster first par five on the back is a gorgeous hole.  Curiously Eric and I played that hole and on each of our first three shots our balls got closer and closer together until after our thirds we were about two yard apart 100 yards short of the green.  

I particularly liked 15, 17 and 18.  From the tee the fairway on 15 looks impossible but it has three tiers that can provide a level lie for the approach.  On my first play I was on the upper tier and thus had a completely blind shot to the green.  My fault.  Great green. The kind where you would like to take a bucket of balls and just chip and pitch and putt for hours.  

The 17th is a breathtakingly beautiful hole that swings from right to left and climbs and climbs. When I stepped onto the tee the first time I said "I'm in love, but then I've always been a sucker for a pretty face."  Being a short hitter I had to strike three damned near perfect woods to get just below the green.  I'm wondering how close some of  the real golfers could get in two.

The 18th is a sweet proposition as well with a huge waste area down the right side, and the same sand runs as diagonal hazard from right to left.  I think it's a great finishing hole even if it's not as great as the preceding one.  Craig Disher told me there was some discussion about whether to use the current 17th as the finishing hole with the clubhouse just beyond it.  It was decided that it was too dramatic.  The way it was built you now have the thrill of the seventeenth but are left with the eighteenth as the denouement.   Or think of the seventeenth as the gathering of the suspects in the smoking room and the eighteenth as the explanation of how the murder was committed.  It certainly worked that way with Eric and me.  I thought I had gotten away it, but i was brought to justice by the waste area.

A lot of blind shots, but of a different type of blindness than that presented by Tobacco Road.  Shaida and I discussed the different types of blindness one evening, but I'm not certain if it was before or after the first round at Dormie.  I do remember red wine and beer were involved.

He assigned different letters to the categories of blindness.  X, Y, and J.  Well, that's how I remember it and did I mention red wine and beer.  X was a hole at Rye England, the 13th I believe, where no amount of study would give you a clue to what is on the other side.  Only experience would solve the riddle.  There's a lot of that Tobacco Road.  

Dormie has a lot of tee shots that could conceivably finish out of sight, but there is never the feeling you are hitting into a void or forced to act as a matter of faith that there's a safe haven for your ball out there.  It would be interesting for someone who is familiar with the course to count the number of holes where you can't see the green from the tee.  This was category Y--an acceptable and even valued form of blind shot.

Category J is the blind shot that not only goes out of sight but has a capricious fate ahead--either a downhill hogback or hardpan running to perdition be it woods, water, or OB.  This is not a good thing and I for one don't recall any of Category J this weekend.

Of course, I want to echo everyone's thanks to Craig, and Cory for their organizational efforts,  and to Ran who once again opened his house to us.  I thanked him by pointing out to him in front of the group that this site has enabled me to spend thousands of dollars that would otherwise be in my IRAs.  Ran anticipated my next gambit by intervening with an assertion that there would be no opportunity for reimbursement.

Captain Fleisher, I have one question.  Had I won would I have been allowed to make my own sartorial choices or been required to provide them for the entire North team for the next Dixie Cup.  I'm hoping to debut some barber pole striped beauties at the next GCA outing.  I don't want to know what my penance would have been had I lost--lederhosen complete with the alpine hat.  

Great times, great courses, great matches, great guys.  For those of you who haven't made your way to a GCA outing you should really make the effort.  I've done so many I'm not sure when I've been present and when it's just an after image.

"Every good drive by a high handicapper will be punished..."  Garland Bailey at the BUDA in sharing with me what the better player should always remember.

Steve Kline

« Reply #247 on: October 15, 2013, 09:11:14 AM »
Steve - regarding 17 at Dormie I comfortably hit driver-3 wood into the front right bunker on Saturday. It's pretty reachable for a decent length player after a good drive.

Also, I prefer the blindness at Dormie to the blindness at Tobacco Road. The blindness at Dormie isn't as stark but I found just as effective in causing confusion or uneasiness.

The one negative that really stood out for me regarding Dormie is that it seemed almost exclusively a drawer's golf course. Because of the width and angles, a draw is not demanded or even necessary to play any of the holes. But, a draw will make them a lot easier. The only hole where a fade was clearly optimal was 15.

Steve Wilson

« Reply #248 on: October 15, 2013, 10:31:13 AM »
One Steve to another, thanks for the info on the 17th.

It's an odd experience-the minimalism of Dormie--I was acting on minimal information as I played it Sunday.  Had to gauge where to hit and where to lay up and what club to hit by eyeballing it as neither Eric nor I had any range finding capability beyond the sprinkler heads.  All in all I did a decent job of decision making.

A drawer's course, yes.  As I was replaying the round as best I could in my head absent any playing aids such as a course book, I also recalled how many of the holes seemed to sweep from right to left.  Counter to most players shot shape, but in accordance with many better players.  I don't recall this at either of the other two C & C courses, so I have to assume it was as the holes were found.  You are right about 15, it does beg for a fade.  Someone, perhaps Eric Strulowitz mentioned there was a thread earlier about the 15th, anyone recall it or have a link to it.

I didn't find the blindness at Dormie intimidating at all, and I think that was because I can't hit it far enough to lose sight of the ball in most instances.  Defeating blindness with inadequate length is a possible but not a recommended means of defeating the architectural intent.  It would be heaven to catch Dormie when it was F & F and the ball was running.  I might have more worries then.

Matthew Sander

« Reply #249 on: October 15, 2013, 11:03:10 AM »
Congrats on what sounds like another great Dixie Cup.

Earlier in the thread, Steve W. was discussing the difference in the blindness at Tobacco Road and Dormie. Do you think that some of the difference is explained by what lies between the golfer and the landing area? At Dormie, while there are blind shots (typically drives), you see a much milder landscape between your location and the landing area, often just the slope of the fairway descending and turning out of site. At Tobacco Road, you're distracted by a most inhospitable visual prior to the blind landing area. Holes 1, 16, and 18 come to mind. The milder visuals at Dormie allow you to reasonably envision what lies in the blind spot. On the other hand, on the 18th tee at Tobacco Road, I couldn't convince myself that there wasn't a herd of flesh-eating prehistoric beasts on the other side of the rise waiting to shred yet another visitor...do you think that is what Mike Strantz had in mind?
« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 11:06:06 AM by Matthew Sander »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back