News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Craig Disher

Re: Dixie Cup 2013
« Reply #125 on: July 31, 2013, 05:50:32 PM »
The number of participants is now 21 - only 3 spaces left. If you're seriously interested in attending, I suggest sending a deposit fairly soon.

Bill Gayne

« Reply #126 on: July 31, 2013, 06:48:22 PM »
Called the Pinecrest Inn today and they have rooms available. However, it's a three day minimum so I booked at the Holiday Inn Express.

Steve Wilson

« Reply #127 on: August 09, 2013, 02:47:46 PM »
I am interested in any pre and post Dixie Cup rounds.  I will be recently retired and free to luxuriate in my idleness.  I see there is a foursome for Mid Pines and whilst I'm not trying to break that up I wonder if there are any others who want to play there.  I will probably either arrive early or hang around to play Southern Pines as well.  Any interest, let me know.  BTW, there will be both suspenders and hickories involved.
Some days you play golf, some days you find things.

I'm not really registered, but I couldn't find a symbol for certifiable.

"Every good drive by a high handicapper will be punished..."  Garland Bailey at the BUDA in sharing with me what the better player should always remember.

Steve Kline

« Reply #128 on: August 09, 2013, 07:22:28 PM »
Steve - I am thinking about getting in an early round at the Donald Ross Municipal the morning of Tobacco Road. It's just down the street and is around $14 to walk.

Jim Sherma

« Reply #129 on: August 09, 2013, 08:30:42 PM »
Steve - I am thinking about getting in an early round at the Donald Ross Municipal the morning of Tobacco Road. It's just down the street and is around $14 to walk.

I am probably in for this as well. Depends on how the back feels after the long drive and Mid Pines the day before.

ChipRoyce

« Reply #130 on: August 10, 2013, 11:37:06 PM »

Sounds good to me too

Steve Wilson

« Reply #131 on: August 11, 2013, 12:22:55 AM »
It does look interesting.  Has anyone played it or is this a new experience?
Some days you play golf, some days you find things.

I'm not really registered, but I couldn't find a symbol for certifiable.

"Every good drive by a high handicapper will be punished..."  Garland Bailey at the BUDA in sharing with me what the better player should always remember.

Steve Kline

« Reply #132 on: August 11, 2013, 06:57:19 AM »
I have never played but Chris Buie said he has played it a number of times. Paraphrasing, I believe he said he wasn't anything too special but that if you are playing Tobacco Road it is a fun, cheap second round.

Cory Lewis

« Reply #133 on: August 11, 2013, 02:57:23 PM »
It does look interesting.  Has anyone played it or is this a new experience?
My wife's company league plays their matches at Sanford Muni every week.  It's pretty much your typical muni in terms of conditioning.   Very little Ross left.  The greens are usually in good shape and should be pretty good in October.  Lots of awkward short par 4's.  

If good architecture isn't a concern, I'd be happy to host anybody at Little River Friday morning.  Our tee sheet is open at the moment and I can get people off as early as 7:30.
Instagram: @2000golfcourses
http://2000golfcourses.blogspot.com

Jim Sherma

« Reply #134 on: August 21, 2013, 09:37:41 AM »
I'm going to be driving down from central PA on Wednesday the 9th. Probably taking I-81and then cutting over to US-29. This route looks less hectic than fighting through the DC beltway and then Richmond. Not sure where I'll spend the night at this point. Two questions:

Are there any decent options for a round along the way to split the day up with? An appropriate round could get me to leave Tuesday evening to eat up some mileage if necessary.

Is anyone else travelling through Western Virgina that day who might wawnt to meet up for an en route round?

Steve Kline

« Reply #135 on: August 21, 2013, 09:43:14 AM »
You could try Tot Hill Farm. It's about an 1.5 hours from Pinehurst. It's also designed by Mike Strantz. I'd say it is even more extreme than Tobacco Road.

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #136 on: August 21, 2013, 11:01:42 AM »
I'm going to be driving down from central PA on Wednesday the 9th. Probably taking I-81and then cutting over to US-29. This route looks less hectic than fighting through the DC beltway and then Richmond. Not sure where I'll spend the night at this point. Two questions:

Are there any decent options for a round along the way to split the day up with? An appropriate round could get me to leave Tuesday evening to eat up some mileage if necessary.

Is anyone else travelling through Western Virgina that day who might wawnt to meet up for an en route round?

I'd play Ballyhack in Roanoke.
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Bill_McBride

« Reply #137 on: August 21, 2013, 11:48:52 AM »
Ballyhack is a good call.   Exit I-81 at US 220 into Roanoke.   Pinehurst is less than 4 hours from Roanoke through pretty countryside, mostly non interstate. 

ward peyronnin

« Reply #138 on: August 26, 2013, 02:56:55 PM »
Looks like Shaida and I will be at the Pinecrest in a snoring room.
Mike I finally have my paypal acct functional and it should be funded soon so i will forward deposit
"Golf is happiness. It's intoxication w/o the hangover; stimulation w/o the pills. It's price is high yet its rewards are richer. Some say its a boys pastime but it builds men. It cleanses the mind/rejuvenates the body. It is these things and many more for those of us who truly love it." M.Norman

ed_getka

« Reply #139 on: September 14, 2013, 08:28:42 AM »
Craig,
    I can only attend on Saturday. Is there a slot available? What is the cost of golf that day? Thanks.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #140 on: September 14, 2013, 01:46:28 PM »
I recently spoke with our most credible source who recently played Mid Pines and said the restoration is fantastic so anyone going to the DC should do what they can to play it.

Greg Krueger

« Reply #141 on: September 14, 2013, 10:31:07 PM »
Is there still room for another player? I have a good friend who is interested.

Craig Disher

« Reply #142 on: September 15, 2013, 01:41:11 PM »
Updated information is now in post #1. There's also a spreadsheet available with a list of players, tentative team assignments, and schedule.

The team assignments listed are based on whether we kinow you'll be arriving in Pinehurst in a N-S or S-N direction. We'd like to keep a Mason-Dixon boundary but equal team sizes is the goal. If you have a strong preference, say so. Send your handicaps along with your team preference - IM or email is preferred so we don't clutter the DG with posts. A cell phone number would also be helpful.

There are 2-3 spaces left.

Steve Kline

« Reply #143 on: September 16, 2013, 05:03:51 AM »
IM and site messaging doesn't seem to be working for me.

Index 5.4

Team - North as I'm coming from Cincinnati. This is regrettable as I side with the South in the war of Northern Aggression.

If need I can play for the South as I played on the golf team at Vandy.

Tyler Kearns

« Reply #144 on: September 16, 2013, 10:46:44 AM »
Anybody playing Mid-Pines, Pine Needles or Pinehurst No. 2 on either side of the Dixie Cup?

TK

David Royer

« Reply #145 on: September 16, 2013, 10:52:38 AM »
Index is curerently 5.7  North is good.  I'm interested in Mid-Pines after the Cup. 

Tyler Kearns

« Reply #146 on: September 16, 2013, 11:01:34 AM »
Index is curerently 5.7  North is good.  I'm interested in Mid-Pines after the Cup. 

David,

I sent you an IM, check your mailbox.

TK

Jason Topp

« Reply #147 on: September 16, 2013, 11:04:46 AM »
Because I had previously scheduled the almost identical trip beforehand, I am missing this year. Having returned I can say the group is in for a great experience.  

Tobacco Road's green are in awful condition.  I hope they come back in the next month.  

Dormie is fantastic and I will look forward to learning the group's views on the 10th and 15th holes.  A decent argument exists that they are very good.  A decent argument can also be made they should be blown up.  Regardless of your ultimate view, you will be the better for having experienced them.  

Take a caddie or forecaddie at Dormie.  Cory guided our group into winning all the money out of a group of 16.  

If at all possible tack on Mid Pines to your itinerary.  The recently completed work there is terrific contrast to the others and the feel is very similar to Number 2.  You might score worse than on the other courses but you are unlikely to lose a ball.    

David Royer

« Reply #148 on: September 16, 2013, 11:09:00 AM »
Tyler, check your mailbox.

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #149 on: September 16, 2013, 12:50:29 PM »
A number of us are playing Mid Pines on Thursday and nothing is set in stone so we will set time as we get closer.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back