News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Hendren

Re: Eastward Ho! (Mass) w/pics - All 18 Posted
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2011, 04:44:27 PM »
Stunning.

At the risk of being labeled a blasphemer, what do NGLA, Crystal Downs, Sand Hills, Ballyneal, Dismal River and Kingsley Club have that this course doesn't?

I'm over the moon.

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Frank M

« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2011, 05:02:22 PM »
Some touch up work on one of the sunset pictures so that you can actually see the 18th hole.

« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 05:04:35 PM by Frank Mastroianni »

Dan Byrnes

« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2011, 08:55:56 PM »
I have visited Chatham many times.  I have driven by the course but never played it.  It looks absolutely stunning and a blast to play.  Unfortunately I couldn't play in this years fundraiser.  This is pretty much near the top of my list of courses I want to play.  It seems like an absolutely wonderful place to be fortunate enough to have a membership.  Looks like a joy to play everyday.  Nice to hear the members prefer to walk and carry as well.

Thanks for sharing the wonderful photos.

Dan

Patrick Kiser

« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2011, 10:30:56 PM »
Frank,

Wow!  Awesome.  Superb light for the photos.

Thanks for posting and sharing
“One natural hazard, however, which is more
or less of a nuisance, is water. Water hazards
absolutely prohibit the recovery shot, perhaps
the best shot in the game.” —William Flynn, golf
course architect

Sean Leary

« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2011, 12:03:04 AM »
New clubhouse looks fantastic by the way. It was being rebuilt when Pete Lavallee and I were there a fw years back.

I know a lot of tree work has happened. Can any more be done, or are there restriction on taking out the trees by the water?

Brian Hilko

« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2011, 12:24:00 AM »
Thank you for posting. All I can say is wow!!
Down with the brown

Frank M

Re: Eastward Ho! (Mass) w/pics - All 18 Posted New
« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2011, 07:23:00 PM »
Thanks for all the comments.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2024, 05:38:34 PM by Frank M »

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2011, 08:26:53 PM »

At the risk of being labeled a blasphemer, what do NGLA, Crystal Downs, Sand Hills, Ballyneal, Dismal River and Kingsley Club have that this course doesn't?

NGLA - In the case of NGLA, EH! does not have the diversity of holes as National does. As Brad Tufts said above, it is a little short. Brad is a very very good player. As a huge fan of Cape Arundel which is in the 6000 yard range, how is that? Well, EH! probably has one or two too many 370 yard type holes, especially on the back. Even the 6th hole on the front says 421, but if you catch the hill, it is a wedgish type hole. NGLA also has greater diversity in terms of size of greens.

Sand Hills - Somewhere in the archives here, I termed EH! as "Baby Sand Hills" due to the wild terrain. However, it simply does not have the HUGE scale of Sand Hills even when you have the long vistas over Pleasant Bay and out towards Naucet Beach. Again, SH has greater diversity of hole yardages.

I am a huge fan of EH!, Chatham, Nauset Beach, The Squire..... Just trying to add some perspective that is it a fantastic place but not Top 10 golf course.

Now if you ask my opinion of Maidstone versus Eastward Ho! versus Newport CC, The Ho! probably comes out on top for me.

David Kelly

« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2011, 10:22:24 PM »
Just had the pleasure of playing Eastward Ho! on Monday and I thought the course was fantastic.  As good as these pictures are it still doesn't capture the unbelievable movement in the fairways.  If I had any criticism it would be that the greens could have had a little more interior movement in them.

BTW even though it was a mid-60s, mostly sunny October day it looked like most people were taking carts.  My partner and I were the only two walkers I saw with the exception of one other person.
"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2013, 07:46:13 AM »
I'm in Boston for two weeks in August....

If the opportunity arose, is Eastward Ho high on people's "try to see / play" list in the area?

Thanks,
Ally

Mark McKeever

« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2013, 08:32:56 AM »
Absolutely Ally.

Mark
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Frank M

« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2013, 12:09:16 PM »
Frank - any chance you could restore some of these pics? I need an Eastward Ho fix!

Brian,

I should be able to. I'll do my best when I get home this evening.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back